ECHO reporting!

djharvey

I have just e-mailed the ECHO asking them to address the poor reporting that has eminated from them. I have stated that they should be supporting OUR local club and not undermining them.

They have lost credibility and numerous readers.

Here' my message:

Mr Murray,

Please can you urgently look into the saga that has been unfolding between OUR local team SAINTS and the poor reporting that seems to be eminating from the ECHO.

I really am fed up with the negative rumours that seem to want to undermine the club and supporters of OUR club.

Surely you will sell more papers by giving good honest facts in tandem with OUR club.

It is clear to the vast majority of supporters that there has been poor reporting and Mr Cortese will not allow you to put the clubs prospects in jeopardy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sort out this depressing situation. The ECHO is losing credibility & readers.

E-mail them today, they need to hear us! newsdesk@dailyecho.co.uk

The Echo will andoubtedly suggest, though not in the manner I'm going to put forward, that in the absense of facts issued by the club, in the time frame that is appropriate for the Echo, or its readership, they will continue to gather disparate threads of information, opinion and hearsay, and make it up as they go along. Somethimes they will get it right, sometimes not. It's what newspapers do, and is why I haven't bought one in about 20 years.

Now I wonder if I got my ill-informed opinion right..? ;)

Dear Reader,

Thank you for your comments and concerns.

In common with all media channels in the UK, the Echo is a cynical beast that reflects the nasty suspicious circle of news reporting spawned by Alistair Campbell over the past 13 years.

Spin and counter spin sell papers, you should know that. Nobody buys papers that print good news and even when they do, such is their own sense of distrust that they would prefer to believe the bad than good.

We can't help that for more than a decade you have been treated as a moron by the incumbent government who have removed your personal liberty, responsibility and undermined your own good judgement.

However, with the dawn of a new era of optimism, perhaps we can all look forward with open minds and unity? If it sells any papers, we'll let you know.

Kind regards

Daily Echo Editor

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/8163607.Cortese_hits_out_at_Saints_legends/?ref=rss

still criticising Cortese but look at the comments after - on their site!

pdavidson@newsquest.co.uk & jbanks@newsquest.co.uk (can't remember which one worked, think it was the first one)

NewsQuest are owners of the Echo and who I wrote to last time they weren't supporting the club.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/8163607.Cortese_hits_out_at_Saints_legends/?ref=rss

Are they criticising Cortese or are they reporting Cortese criticising LM MLT KK etc

Just wish NC had issued a football statement praising the team and mentioning the high lights of the season praising Pardew without upsetting some people whose efforts have done more for the club than NC has yet achieved

Without contributions from LM MLT KK for older fans what memories would we have

Edited by John B

Just a few criticising NC including :

"Sadoldgitte wrote:

If Mr Cortese had shown any kind of support for Alan Pardew up until now no of this would have happened. It is all very well having a pop at the Echo but it came about through Mr Cortese's reluctance to back his manager - and he has had plenty of opportunties to do do hasn't he? "

Very original name it has to be said :D

What did MLT, Lawrie n co say that was so bad?

As far as I'm aware not a lot other than saying that AP should stay, may have been something negative v NC not supporting him but I'm guessing since the Southern Evening Echo luckily doesn't reach this far !

Newsquest's objective is to have market-leading brands disseminating local information in a number of different and simultaneous ways, which reflect the views and aspirations of the communities they serve. Our multi-media brands must be the authoritative source of information that customers can trust; being willing to listen but not afraid to question.

The "Mission Statement" on Newsquest Media Groups website, the owners of the daily echo.

newsquest's objective is to have market-leading brands disseminating local information in a number of different and simultaneous ways, which reflect the views and aspirations of the communities they serve. our multi-media brands must be the authoritative source of information that customers can trust; being willing to listen but not afraid to question.

the "mission statement" on newsquest media groups website, the owners of the daily echo.

fail :D

I've never bought The Daily Echo and am not inclined to do so either.

However, I still think the best way to handle any dispute is with tact and diplomacy, not statements of outrage and disdain. Why can't NC host the Echo editors and chief writers and build bridges, rather than refuse to deal with them?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

You surely haven't forgotten about this little gem have you ?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/4873633.Italian_job_for_Cortese_____Nicola_who____/

:D

While it's "pointed" and very petty, it's not showing a lack of support for the club.

My point was that the Echo's remit is to report on what's going on at Saints, and they will be supportive of the club because that's the general consensus among its readership. However, if there is a story - which there was, started by Adam Blackmore on Radio Solent on Saturday - then they will see it as being in the interests of Saints fans to print it, regardless of what Cortese thinks. They can't withhold a story from print just because they don't want to annoy Cortese, otherwise you'd get people (rightly) asking why they weren't reporting on key stories, and let's face it, the potential sacking of our manager is pretty key.

Let me ask you this - if there was nothing in the "Pardew out" rumours that were circulating on Saturday before and during the game, why did Cortese feel the need to sneak out of the stadium via a back entrance into a waiting second car, thereby avoiding the journalists who were waiting by his car in the car park to speak to him?

While it's "pointed" and very petty, it's not showing a lack of support for the club.

My point was that the Echo's remit is to report on what's going on at Saints, and they will be supportive of the club because that's the general consensus among its readership. However, if there is a story - which there was, started by Adam Blackmore on Radio Solent on Saturday - then they will see it as being in the interests of Saints fans to print it, regardless of what Cortese thinks. They can't withhold a story from print just because they don't want to annoy Cortese, otherwise you'd get people (rightly) asking why they weren't reporting on key stories, and let's face it, the potential sacking of our manager is pretty key.

Let me ask you this - if there was nothing in the "Pardew out" rumours that were circulating on Saturday before and during the game, why did Cortese feel the need to sneak out of the stadium via a back entrance into a waiting second car, thereby avoiding the journalists who were waiting by his car in the car park to speak to him?

Because he's fed up of the English press already?

Blimey - I thought your asking about how the Echo hadn't been supportive of the club was sarcasm. Come on, they are having digs at NC who RUNS OUR CLUB totally unnecessarily. They know they are undermining the club in doing so.

As for the 'why did NC sneak out round the back?' do you not think he's already had enough of the Echo's childish behaviour? Do you really expect him to have an adult interview with a 'newspaper' that prints as fact whatever it wants even it's pure fiction with no editorial responsibility?

As for the 'why did NC sneak out round the back?' do you not think he's already had enough of the Echo's childish behaviour? Do you really expect him to have an adult interview with a 'newspaper' that prints as fact whatever it wants even it's pure fiction with no editorial responsibility?

This wasn't the Echo waiting for him. They know they'll get sod all from him so don't bother anymore.

These were journalists from national newspapers and news agencies.

This wasn't the Echo waiting for him. They know they'll get sod all from him so don't bother anymore.

You mean other rags such as the Sun, Mirror, Mail etc !? I believe NC should have made a statement sooner than today but would certainly not blame him or anyone else for avoiding the press who in this country are generally only looking to stir up the proverbial.

Unless you are really in a mood for a disagreement today or have just been offered the job as new Sports editor at The Echo it's hard to see why you are defending them quite so vigourously and certainly not in moderation !!

Maybe because he knows full well:

1. If he says no comment it means he's about to fire Pardew.

2. If he says he supports Pardew it will be reported as the 'dreaded vote of confidence'.

And what other choices does he have, given that we are talking about someone's livelihood and contract??

We have a scum press in this country that sadly half the population deserve.

What happened to reporting events? What happened to exposing scandal and wrongdoing? What happened to truth, justice and the British way?????

Why is it I feel the Echo first sources a story to another media outlet and then they can then run with it. Once out of the loop with the club and the coverage of Saints became either secondhand or sensationalist' I stopped buying it months ago.

You mean other rags such as the Sun, Mirror, Mail etc !? I believe NC should have made a statement sooner than today but would certainly not blame him or anyone else for avoiding the press who in this country are generally only looking to stir up the proverbial.

Unless you are really in a mood for a disagreement today or have just been offered the job as new Sports editor at The Echo it's hard to see why you are defending them quite so vigourously and certainly not in moderation !!

Well firstly it was Radio Solent who broke the story, the Echo (and others) have just rehashed it. Why is nobody giving Solent a hard time?

Secondly, don't you think NC would probably have avoided all the hassle if he'd come out sooner with the sort of statement we've seen today (given that our season effectively ended three weeks ago), and at least given some sort of explanation for the programmes being withdrawn on Saturday? Neither I, nor the two aforementioned tabloid and agency journalists I know and spoke to, had any recollection of a similar thing happening at a game. All it does is feed the rumour mill.

The national press generally don't give a toss about us, unless there is a genuine story to be written. Believe it or not, journalists don't just make things up (although they are often "padded", clearly) - there is always something behind the story.

Fair play to him to not coming out and responding to all the dross that has been floating around the last few days. I would assume he planned to make this statement after his review with AP and stuck to it.

In regards to the how NC plays the media i think he's got it spot on.

However you look at the Echo and their reporting on SFC, it's really not very good or accurate other than the final score on a Saturday.

This episode is not the first time they have tried to create unrest amongst the fans and will not be the last - as long as the current Echo editor remains.

Well firstly it was Radio Solent who broke the story, the Echo (and others) have just rehashed it. Why is nobody giving Solent a hard time?

Secondly, don't you think NC would probably have avoided all the hassle if he'd come out sooner with the sort of statement we've seen today (given that our season effectively ended three weeks ago), and at least given some sort of explanation for the programmes being withdrawn on Saturday? Neither I, nor the two aforementioned tabloid and agency journalists I know and spoke to, had any recollection of a similar thing happening at a game. All it does is feed the rumour mill.

The national press generally don't give a toss about us, unless there is a genuine story to be written. Believe it or not, journalists don't just make things up (although they are often "padded", clearly) - there is always something behind the story.

Of course they make things up all the time, do you really believe the "no smoke without fire" cliche ?

Fortunately Radio Solent, as far as I'm aware, doesn't broadcast this far though even if the Echo did "just" rehash their story is that not journalism at it's worst picking up on something written/broadcast elsewhere ? Just sheer laziness.

I agree the nationals don't generally care about us but is that to say that if things are quiet elsewhere they won't decide it is time that the one time PL club Southampton should make a bit of news. At least 2 papers I know of in relation to the JPT final asked the pathetic question that if there were 50,000 or so Saints fans at Wembley why did they not get 50,000 at each home game. D'oh !

As for NC if you have made a point of reading any of the Pardew/NC threads on here you will know I have stated umpteen times that IMO NC should have made a statement sooner and ended all this nonsense and also in relation to the programme fiasco the club should have made it clear why it was withdrawn though since rumour on here had it you were in possesion of a copy maybe you could have made a statement :D

Edited by chrisobee

This episode is not the first time they have tried to create unrest amongst the fans

Sorry, but that's just absolute nonsense.

It is not in their interests to create unrest among the fanbase... successful team = more sales of the Echo. Pretty much everyone I know bought one the day after the JPT final, even those who were "boycotting" it.

Their job is to report the news. Radio Solent said that Liebherr was unhappy, and was the reason for him not being at the Southend game. The matchday programme was withdrawn without any sort of reason given as to why it was done. Rumours have been circulating about Pardew's future for weeks, if not months. The national papers then pick up on it and get reports that he's going to be sacked. Put all that together and it's a tidal wave of overwhelming evidence pointing to one thing. Why would the Echo not report on it? If they hadn't, everyone on here would be whinging at them being out of touch with what's going on.

If - and it's a big if - there genuinely was nothing in the "Pardew Out" rumours, Radio Solent and in particular Adam Blackmore need to take the blame for the crescendo of Chinese whispers of the last week.

Firstly it is just a bad spreading a rumour as starting one!

Secondly we will get an explanation about the programmes when the club is ready to give it!

Finally to say that journalists dont make things up is laughable! That would mean that every story ever printed has had some element of truth to it then eh!

Have a word Grant!

Of course they make things up all the time, do you really believe the "no smoke without fire" cliche ?

They really don't. You're guilty of exactly what you accuse the journalists... being lazy.

Fortunately Radio Solent, as far as I'm aware, doesn't broadcast this far though even if the Echo did "just" rehash their story is that not journalism at it's worst picking up on something written/broadcast elsewhere ? Just sheer laziness.

Maybe so, but to take an extreme example, you wouldn't see one paper report on David Cameron being appointed Prime Minister and the rest ignore the story because it might make them look lazy that they're reporting on the same story as someone else.

I agree the nationals don't generally care about us but is that to say that if things are quiet elsewhere they won't decide it is time that the one time PL club Southampton should make a bit of news. At least 2 papers I know of in relation to the JPT final asked the pathetic question that if there were 50,000 or so Saints fans at Wembley why did they not get 50,000 at each home game. D'oh !

Not an entirely unfair question in the context of how so many fans can motivate themselves to go to Wembley but less than half are at St Mary's every other week.

As for NC if you have made a point of reading any of the Pardew/NC threads on here you will know I have stated umpteen times that IMO NC should have made a statement sooner and ended all this nonsense

I tend to read them but tend not to take much notice of the individual poster most of the time. I think that allows me to be more objective with any replies I choose to make.

and also in relation to the programme fiasco the club should have made it clear why it was withdrawn though since rumour on here had it you were in possesion of a copy maybe you could have made a statement :D

I read a copy at half-time - it wasn't my own copy, sadly. I read it from cover to cover and couldn't see any editorial comment that could have caused the withdrawal.

Of course they make things up all the time, do you really believe the "no smoke without fire" cliche?

I agree the nationals don't generally care about us but is that to say that if things are quiet elsewhere they won't decide it is time that the one time PL club Southampton should make a bit of news. At least 2 papers I know of in relation to the JPT final asked the pathetic question that if there were 50,000 or so Saints fans at Wembley why did they not get 50,000 at each home game. D’oh!

As for NC if you have made a point of reading any of the Pardew/NC threads on here you will know I have stated umpteen times that IMO NC should have made a statement sooner and ended all this nonsense and also in relation to the programme fiasco the club should have made it clear why it was withdrawn though since rumour on here had it you were in possesion of a copy maybe you could have made a statement :D

I have got to be honest that I disagree with the need for NC to answer these rumours. By treating them with the contempt they deserve he denies them not only the milk of publicity, he also denies them the ability to print another story at his cost, and lets be honest, they can print it with any slant they choose. Also I believe he is being very astute. For every rumour and suspicion they print, which turns out to be un-true, the more he is able to starve them of any kind of credibility, so that when they DO have truthful story, no one would believe it. Also the more they become starved of inside info, the more desperate they will become, and less accurate with the truth. Then all of a sudden they get fed a bit of information such as:’ Saints are not after XXX, who currently plays for YYYYYY, due to budgetary constraints', and within days we actually SIGN XXX, at a less than inflated price.

Trust me, in this information age; it is a very good and astute manger who knows how to use the media before they use you.

They really don't. You're guilty of exactly what you accuse the journalists... being lazy.

Maybe so, but to take an extreme example, you wouldn't see one paper report on David Cameron being appointed Prime Minister and the rest ignore the story because it might make them look lazy that they're reporting on the same story as someone else.

Not an entirely unfair question in the context of how so many fans can motivate themselves to go to Wembley but less than half are at St Mary's every other week.

I tend to read them but tend not to take much notice of the individual poster most of the time. I think that allows me to be more objective with any replies I choose to make.

I read a copy at half-time - it wasn't my own copy, sadly. I read it from cover to cover and couldn't see any editorial comment that could have caused the withdrawal.

Ok, firstly I don't see how pointing out what 45 years of reading newspapers has proved to me can be construed in any way as lazy and actually to state that is absurd to the point of rudeness TBH. I could if I wanted to bore you and everyone else on here just from memory and just in relation to Saints alone pick up on many ridiculous things I have read over the years but since I must be lazy I won't bother though in truth it's more a question that generally I really can't be bothered to argue with stupidity.

Secondly, you are spot on that the comparison with Cameron is extreme though what is clearly more significant is that the evidence was there for anyone to see that it was true ! A really nonsensical point.

Thirdly, SMS doesn't of course hold 50,000, we have many fans scattered all over the planet many of whom can maybe attend 1/2 games a season. Given the option are they going to chose to go to say Hartlepool and see us play or go to Wembley ?

Fouthly, in order to be objective it actually helps in my experience to have some idea as to what someone may have already stated rather than arguing a point they have already stated they agree with, in fact you really would have had to have tried very hard not to know my views on the NC saga given just how many times I stated it over the past 5 days. It would take a huge leap of faith for me to actually believe that whilst you may indeed try to make a point of not noticing who posts what you could actually fail to notice any of my posts. A trip to Specsavers is clearly called for.

The point regarding the programme is not an issue as far as I can see, my point about the rumour of you having a copy being made tongue in cheek.

Very good article.

Personally i don't get how anyone can defend the echo on this, they created a story based on nothingness. To say or imply it is somehow Cortese's fault because he stayed silent is just laughable.

By that logic if i write to the queen and say "i have suspicions you are actually Michael Jackson" and if she doesn't reply then it must be true!!

The Echo have taken the old saying "no news is good news" and turned it into "no news means were all going to die".

I feel sorry for anyone who actually pay's to read the ******** they make up.

Very good article.

Personally i don't get how anyone can defend the echo on this, they created a story based on nothingness. To say or imply it is somehow Cortese's fault because he stayed silent is just laughable.

By that logic if i write to the queen and say "i have suspicions you are actually Michael Jackson" and if she doesn't reply then it must be true!!

The Echo have taken the old saying "no news is good news" and turned it into "no news means were all going to die".

I feel sorry for anyone who actually pay's to read the ******** they make up.

Just think the Echo is reporting the news I dont think they were saying sack Pardew but were backing him like most on here

There was discussion on here based on the Solent report the Echo never started the rumour but continued it due to the interest and reports in the Daily Mail.

Sorry, but that's just absolute nonsense.

It is not in their interests to create unrest among the fanbase... successful team = more sales of the Echo. Pretty much everyone I know bought one the day after the JPT final, even those who were "boycotting" it.

Their job is to report the news. Radio Solent said that Liebherr was unhappy, and was the reason for him not being at the Southend game. The matchday programme was withdrawn without any sort of reason given as to why it was done. Rumours have been circulating about Pardew's future for weeks, if not months. The national papers then pick up on it and get reports that he's going to be sacked. Put all that together and it's a tidal wave of overwhelming evidence pointing to one thing. Why would the Echo not report on it? If they hadn't, everyone on here would be whinging at them being out of touch with what's going on.

If - and it's a big if - there genuinely was nothing in the "Pardew Out" rumours, Radio Solent and in particular Adam Blackmore need to take the blame for the crescendo of Chinese whispers of the last week.

Are you Ian Murray in disguise?

Just think the Echo is reporting the news I dont think they were saying sack Pardew but were backing him like most on here

There was discussion on here based on the Solent report the Echo never started the rumour but continued it due to the interest and reports in the Daily Mail.

They were reporting news that they themselves created John, is a big difference. If you read The Mail piece and The Echo piece you notice the two are very different. The Mail piece has almost know points as to why they thought those things would happen. The Echo used very deliberate tone to their articles which was aimed at creating tension between the fans and NC.

The feud between the two has been no secret. The Echo can't handle the fact nobody talks to them anymore so at every chance will snipe at the club but more importantly at NC.

What we know now for 100% fact is that The Echo since Saturday have used this as their main story to run with. Look at today's front page, it is something like "Fans anger as Pardew is about to be sacked". Which was the story they wanted all along. Just the problem was there was no rift, was no meeting when they said, and was not going to be a sacking. The story was used to try and bring heat on NC. The use of old Saints legends coming out in defence of Pardew, the lines where MLT supposedly said "NC has acted poor" etc etc. All designed to make us think worse of NC. It is like a hate campaign.

But there was no story, was no research, was no professional journalism and was no common sense. The Echo lied to everyone, pure and simple. As someone once said "Contreversy creates cash".

They were reporting news that they themselves created John, is a big difference. If you read The Mail piece and The Echo piece you notice the two are very different. The Mail piece has almost know points as to why they thought those things would happen. The Echo used very deliberate tone to their articles which was aimed at creating tension between the fans and NC.

The feud between the two has been no secret. The Echo can't handle the fact nobody talks to them anymore so at every chance will snipe at the club but more importantly at NC.

What we know now for 100% fact is that The Echo since Saturday have used this as their main story to run with. Look at today's front page, it is something like "Fans anger as Pardew is about to be sacked". Which was the story they wanted all along. Just the problem was there was no rift, was no meeting when they said, and was not going to be a sacking. The story was used to try and bring heat on NC. The use of old Saints legends coming out in defence of Pardew, the lines where MLT supposedly said "NC has acted poor" etc etc. All designed to make us think worse of NC. It is like a hate campaign.

But there was no story, was no research, was no professional journalism and was no common sense. The Echo lied to everyone, pure and simple. As someone once said "Contreversy creates cash".

I only read the online Echo are there seems very little there which is anti SFC

The only fact we know is that AP is not being sacked we dont know anything that the Journalists heard.

With regard to MLT saying Cortese acted poorly I think a number of other people would agree NC knew there was speculation regarding AP and should have backed him before now

+1

Interesting that the paper does not add the name of their 'reporter' covering today's SFC statement. As always, any controversy and they hide behind their keyboards.

Tossers.