Abduction in Harefield

Jeff Le Taxi

Someone posted this on facebook earlier, doubt its related but who knows...

********: just wants people to know there is a black car

roaming around the schools of southampton trying to lure young kids beware there r 2 men involved. please mums and dads be on the look out a young

lad was follow by the men near sholing infant and jnr school .please ask

ur children to be very vigaliant, these men were seen l...ast in weston

please be carefull. EVERYONE IN SOUTHAMPTON SHOULD COPY & PASTe

See morec0s37sii.gif3 hours ago via Mobile Web · Comment · Like

Someone posted this on facebook earlier, doubt its related but who knows...

********: just wants people to know there is a black car

roaming around the schools of southampton trying to lure young kids beware there r 2 men involved. please mums and dads be on the look out a young

lad was follow by the men near sholing infant and jnr school .please ask

ur children to be very vigaliant, these men were seen l...ast in weston

please be carefull. EVERYONE IN SOUTHAMPTON SHOULD COPY & PASTe

See morec0s37sii.gif3 hours ago via Mobile Web · Comment · Like

My Mrs received this, this morning on FB. With JLT's posting I mentioned it to her and she put it up on her Profile as we felt it may be relevant. This is what hers said

WARNING TO ALL PARENTS.. two men in a big

black car have now tried to get three kids in their car in the sholing

and hedgeend area. One little boy and a little girl last week an

last nighta16 year old girl . The police are aware and are

apparently sending letters out to local schools........please warn

your kids and post this on your profile status for everyone to

read even if you dont have kids yourself .

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy

Typical chain letter scaremongering ********... Only the simple fall for it...

you do wonder when these messages are written in text speak.

I do really understand where you are coming from but I would rather be, shall I call it 'Paranoid', with my kids safe rather than not worrying too much and having to ID my child, cold, on a mortuary slab, with blood issuing from varying orifices.

I make no apology for being graphic.

The problem with these things is twofold. First, it generates an atmosphere of fear and insecurity which is almost always unjustified, resulting in things like the notorious "kill the paediatrician" bob-a-mob riots. Second, once in a very long while, something like this will do the rounds which is genuine and nobody will take a blind bit of notice of it.

Its comparable with the hoax emails which clog all our inboxes warning of untold damage to our computers/bank accounts/personal safety etc if we should receive and open a particular message; it takes 2 seconds on google to discover that its a hoax, but normally rational people still persist in forwarding them to all and sundry "just in case".

I do really understand where you are coming from but I would rather be, shall I call it 'Paranoid', with my kids safe rather than not worrying too much and having to ID my child, cold, on a mortuary slab, with blood issuing from varying orifices.

I make no apology for being graphic.

Unjustified paranoia by parents is the biggest threat to childrens welfare in the UK. Its particularly ironic since the vast majority of child murders are conducted by the childs parents or people close to the family. In many cases the kids would be safer from abuse outside the home.

Between 1988 and 1999 the number of offenders found guilty of child abduction in England and Wales dropped from 26 to 8, dispelling fears that such crimes were on the rise (Furedi 2001). In Scotland a BBC survey found Although the incidence of child murder by a stranger in Scotland is very low and has shown no change in the past 20 years, 76 per cent of respondents thought that there had been an increase in such tragedies, while 38 per cent believed that the increase had been ‘dramatic’ .”

Unjustified paranoia by parents is the biggest threat to childrens welfare in the UK. Its particularly ironic since the vast majority of child murders are conducted by the childs parents or people close to the family. In many cases the kids would be safer from abuse outside the home.

Between 1988 and 1999 the number of offenders found guilty of child abduction in England and Wales dropped from 26 to 8, dispelling fears that such crimes were on the rise (Furedi 2001). In Scotland a BBC survey found Although the incidence of child murder by a stranger in Scotland is very low and has shown no change in the past 20 years, 76 per cent of respondents thought that there had been an increase in such tragedies, while 38 per cent believed that the increase had been ‘dramatic’ .”

You choose which way to keep your children away from the mortuary and I'll choose mine. I'm not particularly going to go out and lynch or kill someone because of an internet/pub rumour. At least give me that much sense!

You choose which way to keep your children away from the mortuary and I'll choose mine. I'm not particularly going to go out and lynch or kill someone because of an internet/pub rumour. At least give me that much sense!

I just think people are afraid of the wrong things. My ex won't allow our kids to play outside the house, in a small quiet cul-de sac - whilst simultaneously not being bothered to fix the permanently loose seatbelt which is supposed to hold our 5 year olds car seat in.

I just think people are afraid of the wrong things. My ex won't allow our kids to play outside the house, in a small quiet cul-de sac - whilst simultaneously not being bothered to fix the permanently loose seatbelt which is supposed to hold our 5 year olds car seat in.

I can see your point there.

A paedo can grab your child from your bathroom (as up in Newcastle area a few years ago) just as easily as from round the corner.

We don't see a certain family 'acquaintance' purely because of comments he makes which leave us suspicious!

I'd still stick with being over cautious.

I apologise if I was a little forceful with my previous reply to your comment.

I am trying to do what is right to protect my boy (and older step daughter). It may well be over the top but we are not paranoid, just very careful.

I know how you feel ESB, but he [buctootim] has a point. Much of today's threat to children is implied rather than real. Kids are probably little more in danger nowadays than I was when growing up. Now parents really are verging on paranoia when there is little in reality to be worried about. Children often don't have the imagination or energy to venture out the front door, in any case, and when they do, play is so controlled by adults that any childish spontaneity never materialises, let alone is lost. Yes, kids are in danger. They're in danger of not being allowed to be kids.

Slightly off-topic - when was the last time you saw a child or children climbing trees for fun..?

Common sense seems to have gone out the window.

The kids whose parents don't let them out are missing out. When I was a nipper I was never indoors.

Panic, hysteria and over-reaction.

For the record I have to daughters of middle-school age.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window.

The kids whose parents don't let them out are missing out. When I was a nipper I was never indoors.

Panic, hysteria and over-reaction.

For the record I have to daughters of middle-school age.

I was the same but times have changed. How many times have you heard an OAP saying that they used to be able to leave the door unlocked etc etc, not anymore.

I know how you feel ESB, but he [buctootim] has a point. Much of today's threat to children is implied rather than real. Kids are probably little more in danger nowadays than I was when growing up. Now parents really are verging on paranoia when there is little in reality to be worried about. Children often don't have the imagination or energy to venture out the front door, in any case, and when they do, play is so controlled by adults that any childish spontaneity never materialises, let alone is lost. Yes, kids are in danger. They're in danger of not being allowed to be kids.

Slightly off-topic - when was the last time you saw a child or children climbing trees for fun..?[/QUOTE]

my 5 and 7 year olds do that all the time, outside the front of my house. i DO believe in letting kids be kids, BUT i WILL NOT put them at risk in order to prove that society is "safe". If my boys walk round to the local park , my 7 year old takes a mobile with him so that i can check on him and so he can ring me to let me know when they are on their way back (so that i can watch them cross the road. There is such a thin line between "letting kids be kids" and seemingly being a "bad parent". I mean, how many of you would be slagging off the parent of an abducted child for not watching that child while outside playing ??

And as for the abduction rates have dropped to only 8 cases...well, would anyone on here want to be one of those 8???? I'm damn sure i don't!

Slightly off-topic - when was the last time you saw a child or children climbing trees for fun..?

i know what you're saying and agree to a certain extent but when i was growing up, times were different. My parents knew where i was and i stayed within the boundaries set by them i wouldnt dare go against them, nowadays most kids dont respect anyone or anything, let alone rules set by parents.

I remember playing football on my local rec all the time, hardly ever did anything else apart from maybe a bike ride around a country park. Now all kids seem to want to do is gather in car parks on them bloody loud mopeds and cause as much grief as possible

Slightly off-topic - when was the last time you saw a child or children climbing trees for fun..?[/QUOTE]

my 5 and 7 year olds do that all the time, outside the front of my house. i DO believe in letting kids be kids, BUT i WILL NOT put them at risk in order to prove that society is "safe". If my boys walk round to the local park , my 7 year old takes a mobile with him so that i can check on him and so he can ring me to let me know when they are on their way back (so that i can watch them cross the road. There is such a thin line between "letting kids be kids" and seemingly being a "bad parent". I mean, how many of you would be slagging off the parent of an abducted child for not watching that child while outside playing ??

And as for the abduction rates have dropped to only 8 cases...well, would anyone on here want to be one of those 8???? I'm damn sure i don't!

Just to clarify things, in case anyone has the wrong impression, our Son (age eight, does go out with his mates. He has boundaries and, as far as I know, keeps within them. He also carries a mobile and has been made aware that not everyone is what they seem and that monsters don't have green skin and drool but look more like his Dad (I might be wrong there?). We are not paranoid but we are certainly, on purpose, very protective.

I reckon nipper does do all the things that little boys do (including going outside of his boundaries?) as he comes home dirty, tired and ravenous!

Abduction cases dropping to 8, that's 8 too many. How many of those children get back home to their families? How many of them have their life ruined because no amount of counselling can remove that dark terror from the back of their mind?

As St Boggy says "I don't want my boy being one of those statistics".

Just to clarify things, in case anyone has the wrong impression, our Son (age eight, does go out with his mates. He has boundaries and, as far as I know, keeps within them. He also carries a mobile and has been made aware that not everyone is what they seem and that monsters don't have green skin and drool but look more like his Dad (I might be wrong there?). We are not paranoid but we are certainly, on purpose, very protective.

I reckon nipper does do all the things that little boys do (including going outside of his boundaries?) as he comes home dirty, tired and ravenous!

Abduction cases dropping to 8, that's 8 too many. How many of those children get back home to their families? How many of them have their life ruined because no amount of counselling can remove that dark terror from the back of their mind?

As St Boggy says "I don't want my boy being one of those statistics".

I have three kids now, so I have all the worries. From a statistical point of view, let's say it was 5 times more likely to win £20M on the lottery than it was to be one of those 8 cases. How many lottery tickets will you buy?

I have three kids now, so I have all the worries. From a statistical point of view, let's say it was 5 times more likely to win £20M on the lottery than it was to be one of those 8 cases. How many lottery tickets will you buy?

I don't understand the relevance of the lottery aspect. It seems to debase the whole issue of a child's life and innocence. I just don't want my child being a statistic, no matter how minimal that chance may be.

Although life is a lottery and presumably any parent would cheat, connive and downright rob to give their child a chance against any 'person' out there who might see that child as a mere 'lottery prize'?

I don't understand the relevance of the lottery aspect. It seems to debase the whole issue of a child's life and innocence. I just don't want my child being a statistic, no matter how minimal that chance may be.

Although life is a lottery and presumably any parent would cheat, connive and downright rob to give their child a chance against any 'person' out there who might see that child as a mere 'lottery prize'?

I'm trying to put it into perspective. My peronal paranoia is about vaccinations - I feel the risk of my children becoming seriously ill as a result of being loaded with multiple shots of disease is greater than the risk of them getting the disease (and becoming seriously ill /dying as a result) in question. It's a question of statistics, chance and guesswork.

I see.

Again, a choice that can be difficult to make. We chose to have them all as, for us, it gave the greatest chance of protection.

That word chance does creep in again though!

Another example, choosing schools when we moved here (to Oz). One school has an excellent overall reputation, but particularly for rehabilitating 'bad' kids from other schools (basically it has a really rigorous discpline system). I pondered whether my kids should be contributors to this wonderful rehabilitation, or whether they should just go to a regular school.

I chose the 'regular' option, but not without a great deal of thought, as they would have received an excellent education as well as learning how to get on with head-cases in a safe environment (being a bit crass there, but you do need to be able to deal the socially unconventional)..

I'm trying to put it into perspective. My peronal paranoia is about vaccinations - I feel the risk of my children becoming seriously ill as a result of being loaded with multiple shots of disease is greater than the risk of them getting the disease (and becoming seriously ill /dying as a result) in question. It's a question of statistics, chance and guesswork.

Chance and your guesswork is more reliable than the advice of trained medical professionals?