You've got to be excited!

Pilchards

The thought of Saints being favourites for the league and the fact we buy half decent players these days, also it's nice we have two new kits soon to be announced and a chairman who's ambition is to take Saints to the top end of the Premiership.

Why all the doom and gloom?

Is it because we are becomming spoilt for choice these days and the fact some fans think they own this club...

I'm happy anyway and so should you.

Edited by Pilchards

Realistic expectations that we will be Premier league again in three seasons, whereas for the past 20 years it has mostly been a case of, can we hang on to the rest.

I'm happily clapping as well.

The thought of Saints being favourites for the league and the fact we buy half decent players these days, also it's nice we have two new kits soon to be announced and a chairmen who's ambition is to take Saints to the top end of the Premiership.

Is it because we are becomming spoilt for choice these days and the fact some fans think they own this club...

Here here!

I agree wholeheartedly. We have football withdrawal symptoms at present and are looking for anything to moan about to make up for it. Well the World Cup fix should calm that down! Thereafter, enjoy the signings and new strip!

My only concern is that the wordS Saints and Favourites have not gone together successfully that often in the past.

I am excited but cannot help being cautious as well

Well at least we are going to score a few goals and win alot of games this season you could say!

My only concern is that the wordS Saints and Favourites have not gone together successfully that often in the past.

last time we were one of the favorites for something we won it (JPT) ;)

You'd have to be dead not to be excited about the new season, I can't wait...

Must admit I'm disappointed I'm not renewing my season ticket but life goes on. As for the price increases, well I guess if you don't want to be the next Pompey then you have to pay for what you want to see and support a sustainable football club.

It's going to be strange supporting a successful club but it's something I'm quite prepared to live with..

think 99.9% of fans are positive and excited about the season. Its only on the information vacuum on here that negativity starts with two or three.

Can't wait, when was last time we were this positive pre-season?

think 99.9% of fans are positive and excited about the season. Its only on the information vacuum on here that negativity starts with two or three.

Can't wait, when was last time we were this positive pre-season?

I am really dreading the season if results do not go our way in August and Mr Cortese shows more signs of of apparent arrogance with regard to the fans a little bit of communication would help.

That said Cortese has every right to run the club how he wants and we should have a very good team more than capable of getting promotion.

I was at a Football Memorabilia Fair on Saturday and most of the fans from other clubs expected us to get promoted.

So I am very positive that results over the whole season will be very good but worried if the high expectations are not met during the first few games

Edited by John B

Mike - totally understand, probably something to do with the amount of time we have been watching Saints but just for once lets put that side of Saints to bed. We (will) have the players, we have got the back-room staff and we have a Chairman/Owner that have a plan to see us promoted (now that sounds good for a change!) and have the money to back up those aspirations. When was the last time we had any investment into the infrastructure of the club?

So me cautiously excited.

Must say its good to come on here and see something positive tho.

I am looking forward to the season, it's nice to start something as favourites.

What worries me is the amount of people ( including the Chairman ) who think we have a god given right to win this league... we haven't.

Stu you are right but I'm sure AP will not be thinking that - he knows that complacency is one of our biggest threats given the "favourites" tag.

I am looking forward to the season, it's nice to start something as favourites.

What worries me is the amount of people ( including the Chairman ) who think we have a god given right to win this league... we haven't.

Add the manager to that list as he said the players will want to stay here and have the word 'champions' on there CV.

yeah too right Alan, It's nice to be positive.

Stu you are right but I'm sure AP will not be thinking that - he knows that complacency is one of our biggest threats given the "favourites" tag.

As Pilchards said, he has already made noises to that effect.

I think Sheff Wednesday and Huddersfield are going to be very strong this year, and Plymouth will be there or there abouts.

We have the best team in the league, and by some distance man for man... that's not to say we will win the league though.

The pressure is on this season, if we are slow out the blocks I can see Pardew getting sacked and the whole season being compromised.

Still.... COYR and all that.

June 17th is when the excitement hits for me, when I can plan the next 9 months of my life.

Agree pilchards, nice to see a positive thread in the morning rather than the usual attention seeking over negative dross!

Really looking forward to the new season and to what we do in the Market.

The only grumble I would have is that i would like to see nc improve his communication skills, alot of the moans could have been easily avoided IMO

Yep, looking forward to the new season with what I think is a weaker League 1. The three teams that got promoted are certainly better than the teams that came down from the Championship. I can't see any reason why Saints can't grab an automatic spot by the end of the season, as we are club that is continually going forward since last summer.

Expect the odd hiccup, that is the unpredictable nature of football but with being able to start on an even keel to the rest of the teams in League 1, Saints should be up there, vying for the title by May 2011.

COYR!

The thought of Saints being favourites for the league and the fact we buy half decent players these days, also it's nice we have two new kits soon to be announced and a chairman who's ambition is to take Saints to the top end of the Premiership.

Too freakin right !

Cortese is putting everything in place to ensure we succeed this coming season - Its down to Pards to get the results of course but I'm confident he can!

Every Saints fan should be excited about the season ahead. Worst case scenario we sign nobody, we still have a great side, good manager and fantastic support.

I am very excited about next season….just wish I lived back south so I could attend more games!!

p.s Where’s this bloody kit haha

I'm excited about next season too. Fans are fickle. this time last year.....

There's far too much doom and gloom on this forum but I think that's football fans in general - aren't happy unless they are moaning about their club :)

Well said. We've much to be positive about. I can't wait for the season to start.

This site seems to attract more doom-mongers these days, and they make very boring posters, which is why I seldom read here during the summer break.

I am really dreading the season if results do not go our way in August and Mr Cortese shows more signs of of apparent arrogance with regard to the fans a little bit of communication would help.

That said Cortese has every right to run the club how he wants and we should have a very good team more than capable of getting promotion.

I was at a Football Memorabilia Fair on Saturday and most of the fans from other clubs expected us to get promoted.

So I am very positive that results over the whole season will be very good but worried if the high expectations are not met during the first few games

It would be interesting to know when we had a good start to any season?(probably our promotion years in the 60's and 70's). Having said that i'm sure automatic promotion will happen.

Without wishing to **** on anyones parade promotion from this league, for a club of saints stature is not something we should be slapping each other on the back about. We are where we are due to massive underachievement and mismangement, i enjoyed last season and am looking forward to this coming season but the CCC will be the real test, when we have to beat clubs of similar size to our own, not taking delight in beating the likes of Hartelpool and Yeovil.

It would be interesting to know when we had a good start to any season?(probably our promotion years in the 60's and 70's). Having said that i'm sure automatic promotion will happen.

Yes I agree

We started well in 1965-66

1 21.08.1965 Derby County away W3-0

2 25.08.1965 Carlisle United home W1-0

3 28.08.1965 Portsmouth home D2-2 2 5

4 31.08.1965 Carlisle United away L0-1

5 04.09.1965 Bury home W6-2

6 08.09.1965 Coventry City home W1-0

7 11.09.1965 Norwich City away W4-3

8 14.09.1965 Coventry City away L1-5 1 11

9 18.09.1965 Wolverhampton Wndrs home W9-3

10 25.09.1965 Rotherham United away L0-1 and we were second but slipped to sixth at Christmas

In 1977-78 not so good

1 20.08.1977 Brighton and Hove A home D1-1

2 24.08.1977 Stoke City away L0-1

3 27.08.1977 Mansfield Town home W1-0

4 03.09.1977 Notts County away W3-2

5 10.09.1977 Burnley home W3-0

6 17.09.1977 Millwall away L0-3

7 24.09.1977 Hull City home W1-0

8 01.10.1977 Sheffield United away L2-3

9 04.10.1977 Leyton Orient home W1-0

10 08.10.1977 Sunderland home W4-2 and we were sixth

But started playing better and got to third by the end of the year

Edited by John B

Yes I agree

We started well in 1965-66

1 21.08.1965 Derby County away W3-0

2 25.08.1965 Carlisle United home W1-0

3 28.08.1965 Portsmouth home D2-2 2 5

4 31.08.1965 Carlisle United away L0-1

5 04.09.1965 Bury home W6-2

6 08.09.1965 Coventry City home W1-0

7 11.09.1965 Norwich City away W4-3

8 14.09.1965 Coventry City away L1-5 1 11

9 18.09.1965 Wolverhampton Wndrs home W9-3

10 25.09.1965 Rotherham United away L0-1 and we were second but slipped to sixth at Christmas

In 1977-78 not so good

1 20.08.1977 Brighton and Hove A home D1-1

2 24.08.1977 Stoke City away L0-1

3 27.08.1977 Mansfield Town home W1-0

4 03.09.1977 Notts County away W3-2

5 10.09.1977 Burnley home W3-0

6 17.09.1977 Millwall away L0-3

7 24.09.1977 Hull City home W1-0

8 01.10.1977 Sheffield United away L2-3

9 04.10.1977 Leyton Orient home W1-0

10 08.10.1977 Sunderland home W4-2 and we were sixth

But started playing better and got to third by the end of the year

You win nothing in August.

You win nothing in August.

Exactly so we need to be patient even in 1959-60 we were ninth in October and finished Champions

Something I was not last season when there was little evidence at the end of August that we were improving.

Edited by John B

The top 6 places next season are pretty much sorted, apart from maybe a surprise challenger from MK Dons or Colchester or Peterborough.

Saints

Charlton

Sheff Weds

Plymouth

Swindon

Huddersfield

To say we will walk this league, will win it etc is almost Leeds-esque in arrogance. Nothing is for certain, and one thing is for certain, in the 25 years I have been supporting Saints, not matter who the manager/owner/players were, we have always managed to do things the hard way and lack consistancy.

I will be keeping my feet on the ground.

The top 6 places next season are pretty much sorted, apart from maybe a surprise challenger from MK Dons or Colchester or Peterborough.

Saints

Charlton

Sheff Weds

Plymouth

Swindon

Huddersfield

To say we will walk this league, will win it etc is almost Leeds-esque in arrogance. Nothing is for certain, and one thing is for certain, in the 25 years I have been supporting Saints, not matter who the manager/owner/players were, we have always managed to do things the hard way and lack consistancy.

I will be keeping my feet on the ground.

Would swap Peterboro for Plymouth, and not sure what will happen at The Valley yet either........

You'd have to be dead not to be excited about the new season, I can't wait...

Must admit I'm disappointed I'm not renewing my season ticket but life goes on. As for the price increases, well I guess if you don't want to be the next Pompey then you have to pay for what you want to see and support a sustainable football club.

It's going to be strange supporting a successful club but it's something I'm quite prepared to live with..

This because nipper and I will be going together.

Every Saints fan should be excited about the season ahead. Worst case scenario we sign nobody, we still have a great side, good manager and fantastic support.

I am very excited about next season….just wish I lived back south so I could attend more games!!

p.s Where’s this bloody kit haha

So do all of us that have no option but to be on here on Matchdays ;) :D

I'm definitely looking forward to the new season. I think we have a good chance of breaking a few records - most goals scored in a season, most wins, best goal difference, etc. Any others we might break?

I'm definitely looking forward to the new season. I think we have a good chance of breaking a few records - most goals scored in a season, most wins, best goal difference, etc. Any others we might break?

If Rickie can stay fit I think he could break a few scoring records.