Did Kelvin miss the World Cup by staying?

The Fat Controller

Going back a year ago Kelvin Davis as we know was about to sign for West Ham due to our plight.

Given the performances he has given us this year, if he had gone to West Ham and the fact that Robert Green was injured for part of the season - he would have surely been in contention to be in the England Squad for the World Cup.

Your Views as always........

Kelvin had a great season and is one of England's best shot-stoppers, but there are still valid concerns about his ability to command his box.

He MIGHT have squeezed into the squad if he had gone to WHU and managed to hold his place when Green got injured. Who knows ?

Why would being West Ham's back up goalie get you into the England squad? Aside from the 3 goalies we took to South Africa, we've still got Ben Foster and Paul Robinson. There's probably a dosen English goalies playing second fiddle for Premier League teams. I wonder if there are threads on Swindon Town message boards asking if David Lucas CDAJF England.

Why would being West Ham's back up goalie get you into the England squad? Aside from the 3 goalies we took to South Africa, we've still got Ben Foster and Paul Robinson. There's probably a dosen English goalies playing second fiddle for Premier League teams. I wonder if there are threads on Swindon Town message boards asking if David Lucas CDAJF England.

lambert now kelvin for england

we have some deluded fans

Wasn't so long ago he was comedy Kelvin, how the Sunderland fans laughed when we took him on and how right they were in that first season of unbelievable howlers. Still last year was a good one and he should serve us well for a year or two yet, before we return to the 'big time', at which point most of the current team, if not all, will be gone

Trying to be realistic I don't think Kelv would have played more than he had to at West Ham i.e. only the games when Green was injured. As soon as Green came back he would have regained the no.1 jersey, so Kelv really would only have played a handful of games, therefore wouldn't even be in contention, just as he's not whilst he's playing regularly for us here two leagues below

No. If Kelvin had kept Green out of the team when he was injured, then neither would have gone to the World Cup, and Ben Foster would probably have gone instead.

So, Kelvin not going to West Ham potentially buggered up Foster's chances. :-)

lambert now kelvin for england

we have some deluded fans

I wondered how long it would be before someone started going on about Davis for England. I'd also add to this Harding must be considered for left back berth now Bridge has retired from international football and i think Hammond could play the holding role with Lampard or Gerrard and from what i have seen Milner is no better than Llanna so maybe he could play down the left? If we signed a few more English players we could be the first club to provide all 11 starting players to the national team for Euro 2012. What an achievement that would be.

I wondered how long it would be before someone started going on about Davis for England. I'd also add to this Harding must be considered for left back berth now Bridge has retired from international football and i think Hammond could play the holding role with Lampard or Gerrard and from what i have seen Milner is no better than Llanna so maybe he could play down the left? If we signed a few more English players we could be the first club to provide all 11 starting players to the national team for Euro 2012. What an achievement that would be.

That's the most ****ing ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Dickson is twice the defender Harding is. I should point out that I've never seen him play and I'm not even that sure who he is but he was probably good in Football Manager. I also like the letter 'D' more than the letter 'H'.

Is anyone else worried AP will be snapped up by England if we don't win the world cup? I certainly am.

Dickson is twice the defender Harding is. I should point out that I've never seen him play and I'm not even that sure who he is but he was probably good in Football Manager. I also like the letter 'D' more than the letter 'H'.

Is anyone else worried AP will be snapped up by England if we don't win the world cup? I certainly am.

It'll never happen - England will 100% win the World Cup. The final will be a penalty shoot-out which England will win with Green saving all 3 Argentina penalties.

I am playing Football manager at the moment, i'm in 2017 and Dickson plays for MK Dons in league one and is valued at £12k so obviously ****. Interestingly he signed for Saints in 2011 on a free. I am a bit concearned that he has not played above League One standard on FM so cant be that good and surely only a stop gap. By comparison Dan Harding plays his whole career in the CCC and is still going strong now, in the CCC for Southend. I'm really worried that we have signed Dickson now :smt009

Why is it so ridiculous ? England is bereft of a world-class goalkeeper, otherwise he would have played last night. What we have got is all much of a muchness.

Do you seriously have to ask why its ridiculous? Why a League One goalkeeper might have sneaked into the England World Cup squad? Even if he had gone to West Ham, the best he would have done is made himself number one there, although thats debatable as Green is better and actually had a pretty good season. If he had gone and made himself number one, you seriously think Capello would have even glanced at the ageing keeper who's just sneaked himself ahead of a struggling goalkeeper in a struggling team in his first season back in the Prem since he had an absolute shocker with Sunderland and was practically bombed out?

I mean, our Keepers are pretty toilet but the very idea that you'd even think about Kelvin being even looked at let alone picked for the squad ahead of Robinson, Green, Foster and Kirkland (Amongst others I can't be arsed to think of that have been in and around the England squad (inc Under 21's) and Prem teams alot longer than Davis would have been) is absurd.

Sad that a player who stayed at the club instead of going for a better contract towards the end of his career is so disrespected by so called supporters.

Perhaps the opening post was a tad unrealistic but considering that 2 of the keepers who went played for teams who were relegated or in the scrap,shows the keepers are not that good.It is so funny when I hear the expression , 'He's a good shot stopper but' Lol

It is like the centre forward 'he's a great goalscorer, but'

There is not a keeper in the country who is good at all the criteria fans ask for.

No keeper comes and takes the ball like Pat Jennings did in the 60/70's. he was able to command the box then as the balls flew in a slower speed and didnt move, the defences/attacks less wised up how to block the keeper.Keepers in the past could pick the ball up and didnt need to be able to kick well. I recall Shilts being useless at kicking out from the ground and he didnt take the ball at crosses that well either.

I for 1 appreciate KD's loyalty and accept he is not great at all facets of keeping ,but he has saved us so many points over the seasons he has graced the side

Sad that a player who stayed at the club instead of going for a better contract towards the end of his career is so disrespected by so called supporters.

Perhaps the opening post was a tad unrealistic but considering that 2 of the keepers who went played for teams who were relegated or in the scrap,shows the keepers are not that good.It is so funny when I hear the expression , 'He's a good shot stopper but' Lol

It is like the centre forward 'he's a great goalscorer, but'

There is not a keeper in the country who is good at all the criteria fans ask for.

No keeper comes and takes the ball like Pat Jennings did in the 60/70's. he was able to command the box then as the balls flew in a slower speed and didnt move, the defences/attacks less wised up how to block the keeper.Keepers in the past could pick the ball up and didnt need to be able to kick well. I recall Shilts being useless at kicking out from the ground and he didnt take the ball at crosses that well either.

I for 1 appreciate KD's loyalty and accept he is not great at all facets of keeping ,but he has saved us so many points over the seasons he has graced the side

Some might call it disrepect, i'd call it realism.

Do you seriously have to ask why its ridiculous? Why a League One goalkeeper might have sneaked into the England World Cup squad? Even if he had gone to West Ham, the best he would have done is made himself number one there, although thats debatable as Green is better and actually had a pretty good season. If he had gone and made himself number one, you seriously think Capello would have even glanced at the ageing keeper who's just sneaked himself ahead of a struggling goalkeeper in a struggling team in his first season back in the Prem since he had an absolute shocker with Sunderland and was practically bombed out?

I mean, our Keepers are pretty toilet but the very idea that you'd even think about Kelvin being even looked at let alone picked for the squad ahead of Robinson, Green, Foster and Kirkland (Amongst others I can't be arsed to think of that have been in and around the England squad (inc Under 21's) and Prem teams alot longer than Davis would have been) is absurd.

Well if Green is England's number 1-to-number 3, Robinson, Foster and Kirkland must be pretty f**king sh*t at the moment.

Well if Green is England's number 1-to-number 3, Robinson, Foster and Kirkland must be pretty f**king sh*t at the moment.

But all better than Davis? A Davis that at best could have sneaked into the West Ham team if Green had a stinker during the season. Which he didn't. He's only stinker came last night. He's a pretty good keeper tbf.

Hence my point you tool.

But all better than Davis? A Davis that at best could have sneaked into the West Ham team if Green had a stinker during the season. Which he didn't. He's only stinker came last night. He's a pretty good keeper tbf.

Hence my point you tool.

Can you make your point without being abusive ?

Davis would have done as well as Green last night, but without the f**k-up.

Besides, Green has made other f**k-ups this season, according to some reports.

He's a decent League One keeper.

His shot stopping is Premier League class; his kicking is League 1/2 class, and his ability on crosses is Wessex league standard.

His kicking is excellent. Some of the most accurate distribution I have ever seen from a keeper. I can't believe you've said that.

His kicking is excellent. Some of the most accurate distribution I have ever seen from a keeper. I can't believe you've said that.

KD's kicking isn't good. He concedes possession too often, though that's true equally of many English keepers, exacerbated by the number of times English defenders pass back to the goalkeeper. Compare with England the number of times the best of the countries at the WC pass back to the keeper. The likes of Brazil and Spain tend to go forwards rather than pass back to the keeper.

For the same reason Aston Villa's back up striker started the game against the USA....?

Heskey has 50 odd caps and a tallent which is apparently unique amongst English strikers. Even so, I don't agree with him being in the team.

The fact that Heskey has ANY caps, let alone 50, is a complete and utter mystery to me. But there's no doubt he was the best player the other night for England. Well, for 5 minutes anyway. Sadly, that just shows how pants England were. Oops we've nearly turned this into a World Cup forum thread.

Rob Green did one thing wrong. Capello did many - bringing on the useless Wright Phillips, not bringing on J Cole, playing Rooney way too deep, not bringing on Defoe, taking the crock King in the first place, no holding midfielder - but all the England 'fans' want to talk about was that goal we conceded. Did anyone notice we couldn't get one back at the other end?

On reflection Kelvin would have been quite good up front.

Rob Green did one thing wrong. Capello did many - bringing on the useless Wright-Phillips, not bringing on Joe Cole, playing Rooney way too deep, not bringing on Defoe, taking the crock King in the first place, no holding midfielder - but all the England 'fans' want to talk about was that goal we conceded. Did anyone notice we couldn't get one back at the other end? On reflection Kelvin would have been quite good up front.

Heskey was guilty of making the biggest mistake of all! He missed a clear one-on-one, he is as guilty as Green for England failing to pick up 3 points against the US, but because Green is a 'keeper, his mistake got highlighted and he's been blamed for everything. Still, that's a debate for another thread!

As for Kelvin for England, lets be realistic. He's a first-class 'keeper in League One, don't get me wrong, and he could do a job in the Champ, if not the Prem, but to say he's good enough for England is a tad extreme. There are a number of players ahead of him who didn't make the squad. Take Paul Robinson, Scott Carson, Chris Kirkland and Ben Foster for example.