Travellers in Romsey

Dave Benson Phillips

Why can we refer to the Pompey lot as "Pikeys" without chastisement, when in reality they are probably no more "pikey" than you or me, yet when it is used in its proper context it is deemed racist.

It’s not even used to describe a race, the term is used to describe anyone who lives in a caravan or shares the same values and "culture" of "the travelling community", so it says here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pikey

Because referring to proper gypsy travellers as "Pikeys" or "Gyppos" is racist. As I've no idea of the origins of "Dave's" travellers then it's safe to assume that not using either word would be the safest bet.

I've never understood why some people want it to be alright to use certain words to describe certain people when it's no hardship to just not use it. It always reminds me of the old "British people are called Brits so why can't Pakistani people be called "P*kis"?" argument. It's because, regardless of your intent, that word has been used over the years in a derogatory fashion. Simple.

Because referring to proper gypsy travellers as "Pikeys" or "Gyppos" is racist. As I've no idea of the origins of "Dave's" travellers then it's safe to assume that not using either word would be the safest bet.

I've never understood why some people want it to be alright to use certain words to describe certain people when it's no hardship to just not use it. It always reminds me of the old "British people are called Brits so why can't Pakistani people be called "P*kis"?" argument. It's because, regardless of your intent, that word has been used over the years in a derogatory fashion. Simple.

But that ignores the fact that names given to any groups can become derogatory or negative over time because that group is 'unpopular' with some sections. Spastic, Loony and Queer werent derogatory when they were first used. Neither I suspect weas Paki. Gay men keep changing their favoured moniker everytime the current one gets tarnished in common use. Is disabled really less offensive than handicapped?

But that ignores the fact that names given to any groups can become derogatory or negative over time because that group is 'unpopular' with some sections. Spastic, Loony and Queer werent derogatory when they were first used. Neither I suspect weas Paki. Gay men keep changing their favoured moniker everytime the current one gets tarnished in common use. Is disabled really less offensive than handicapped?

I don't see how it ignores it, tbh. Until words start to become inoffensive over time then a word which was at any time a derogatory insult will always be so.

I just sit on the "better safe than sorry" bench when I moderate. It's arguably not the most comfortable seat in the room but it is the least likely to fall apart.

I don't see how it ignores it, tbh. Until words start to become inoffensive over time then a word which was at any time a derogatory insult will always be so.

I just sit on the "better safe than sorry" bench when I moderate. It's arguably not the most comfortable seat in the room but it is the least likely to fall apart.

Fair enough. You do need to have ground rules to make this forum work. Just pointing out that every set of rules will be imperfect. I know that doesnt help much, so Im not sure why I said it!

You can't justify a claim by repeating the said claim. It's like a parent telling a child "because it is", that's no explanation at all.

Pikey isn't a racist term, it is used to refer to people in a lower social class (underclass), it can be used against Africans, Chinese, Gypsies or even poeple from Portsmouth. For all I know the travellers parked opposite the Luz could be Japanese tourists. The assumption that they are a bit dodgy, or on the rob, would imply the term "pikey" is correct. If this assumption is wrong and they are thoroughly decent, tax paying Japanese tourists, then they should be refered to as "holiday makers".

FWIW my wifes great-grandmother was a Gypsy, my wifes dad refers to gypsys as pikey & he has Gypsy blood, does that make him racist towards himself?

Romani folki parked up alongside one of the south's oldest roadways shocker!!!! They've probably been doing this since before Romsey and Baddesley were even thought about.

People concerned with their reputation of leaving a 'mess' behind might want to consider how us supposedly 'decent' people deal with our household waste, old fridges and building rubble. We pay some licenced councillors brother-in-law to take it away and dump it in a big hole in the ground for our future generations to deal with. Out of sight out of mind and all that.

i bet there is more crap chucked out of car windows along the M27 in a typical week than any group of travellers leave behind them.

It's called an alternative lifestyle because it is errrrr alternative ie different to the accepted norm.

For all I know the travellers parked opposite the Luz could be Japanese tourists. The assumption that they are a bit dodgy, or on the rob, would imply the term "pikey" is correct. If this assumption is wrong and they are thoroughly decent, tax paying Japanese tourists, then they should be refered to as "holiday makers".

FWIW my wifes great-grandmother was a Gypsy, my wifes dad refers to gypsys as pikey & he has Gypsy blood, does that make him racist towards himself?

It depends. Was he on holiday when he said it?

You can't justify a claim by repeating the said claim. It's like a parent telling a child "because it is", that's no explanation at all.

Pikey isn't a racist term, it is used to refer to people in a lower social class (underclass), it can be used against Africans, Chinese, Gypsies or even poeple from Portsmouth. For all I know the travellers parked opposite the Luz could be Japanese tourists. The assumption that they are a bit dodgy, or on the rob, would imply the term "pikey" is correct. If this assumption is wrong and they are thoroughly decent, tax paying Japanese tourists, then they should be refered to as "holiday makers".

Yes, it makes him racist. All humans originated from Africa but it doesn't stop certain Europeans being racist against certain Africans.

Gypsies - why not hang on to that lucky heather? It is, after all, lucky.

Thank you Viz.

used that t'other day to a heather seller outside Hamleys on Regent Street.

I asked her in all seriousness as she thrust some into my face, 'How come if that heather is soo lucky, how come you have a whole bucket of it, yet you are still a pikey'

I couldn't care less, to be honest. If some individuals from that group nick things, sell dodgy goods, dump things inappropriately etc etc - then I condemn it, of course. Yet the same applies to people doing that from any group.

Some 'caravan dwellers' moved onto Public land right near to Windsor Castle a few weeks back.

They were moved by police on less than 24 hours from them arriving.

You see, sometimes it pays to have a 'posh' neighbour.

I've often thought that an efficient way to deal with travellers who break into sites/fields they don't own, without the owners permission, would be to block them and their vehicles in. so they are unable to access or leave the site except on foot. As they all use their trucks etc to make money, denying their use would force them to request access to leave permanently which would be the only solution available. If this happened every time it would soon stop the trespass.

Nothing new there... but there's fakkin fassands of 'em with Caravans and all sorts gone and pitched up on the A27 between the Luzborough and Baddesley ( by C&G Fencing ).

Whats your problem, perhaps these wonderful travelling people would like to take in the sites of Romsey, visit a few of the local hostilleries, and perhaps shop at the local supermarket. Maybe they have gone especially to visit you DBP.

Whats your problem, perhaps these wonderful travelling people would like to take in the sites of Romsey, visit a few of the local hostilleries, and perhaps shop at the local supermarket. Maybe they have gone especially to visit you DBP.

They've probably come to claim him back.

I've often thought that an efficient way to deal with travellers who break into sites/fields they don't own, without the owners permission, would be to block them and their vehicles in. so they are unable to access or leave the site except on foot. As they all use their trucks etc to make money, denying their use would force them to request access to leave permanently which would be the only solution available. If this happened every time it would soon stop the trespass.

About 3 years ago some travellers moved into the Ford car park at the back of Stoneham Cemetary.

Traffic were going to move their artics in and block them so that they could not move. The legal eagles in Fordland (Yes, it does exist!) quickly warned against, as it would be in 'breach of their rights to move freely' (this from a legal dept. which, honestly, takes no prisoners). They obtained an injunction within 12 hours and the travellers moved on the next day.

Allegedly, within the plant, there was tale of money exchanging hands.

That same weekend contractors came in and installed height restriction barriers at all access points to each car park.

That " Mickey " character was actually based on a Hampshire traveller called Bimmy Ward who i have the fortune/misfortune of knowing well, depending on how drunk he is.

Legend has it that Bimmy was visiting a site in Kent and met up with Brad Pitt who spent a few weeks getting into character at said site!

Anyone who knows Bimmy would agree that Brad deserved an oscar for his portrayal of Bimmy as he has him down to a tee!

Some 'caravan dwellers' moved onto Public land right near to Windsor Castle a few weeks back.

They were moved by police on less than 24 hours from them arriving.

You see, sometimes it pays to have a 'posh' neighbour.

Apparently Ms Ferguson was most upset at her treatment...

I don't think you actually get many Romani in the UK - there are a lot in Spain and Eastern Europe though! Jesus Navas the spanish winger - and I think Antonio Reyes - are both from gypsie backgrounds. Not totally sure if they are Romani though but I think they are.

Then there are travellers which I don't think are an ethnic group - and then is it 'tinkers' which are from Ireland - the clan with no home or something like that! I think they are the one in Snatch!

They're a bit like scallys and scousers really - only with wheels!

They are a couple of people that travel around the country lanes of Hampshire in traditional gypsie wagons with horses - you can see them around Farley Mount country park or out towards Alresford or Micheldever sometimes. They nearly always way hello as you drive past thinking blimey I bet they have a lot less stress in their lives than I do what with the mortgage, the missus and the boss! Maybe they've got the right idea!

I'm not keen on the travellers that seem to park up anywhere they like though in their big motor caravans or trucks - and then leave a real mess behind them when they move on!

And don't get me started on the new age travellers!

They are nearly as irritating as those middle aged middle class people that tow caravans down the motorway doing 40! Have they not heard of that 21st century invention - the hotel - or even a holiday cottage! Caravans - I'd ban all of them myself unless they are on country lanes and pulled by a horse!

Johnnyboy

They were 'camped' opposite The Potters Heron a few weeks ago for a few days. Still had those puppies for sale.

Left the place clean and no rubbish at all - in fact the horses saved cutting the grass by the council.

Just wait till you see how well it will grow after a bit of help from the horse manure!!