Live Text Commentry

Baj

Hi all,

For the last couple of days I've been working on a live text commentary feature for the website.

It is very VERY much in testing stage. Ugly as sin, missing a score at the top, but I would really appreciate it if as many of you as possible could test it for me, and keep an eye on it, and reply to this thread.

Please please ignore the look of it, the main thing at the moment is that it works in concept.

You can view it at

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/liveupdates/live.html

thanks guys. I should point out that this is 100% official. We have the rights to do this etc, I only started it Thursday night so i just want to see how it handles.

Ive built it so it puts minimum load on the server, idea being even if the forum goes down, people will still be able to view this.

Great to read of your efforts Baj and Steve. Needs the likes of the former LittleLat and his sister and their incredible typing skills every matchday. Whatever happened to Martin? One of the best around.

Martyn you mean? I be here!!! Post little on here, but stil check in to read and view regularly!

Martyn you mean? I be here!!! Post little on here, but stil check in to read and view regularly!

Good to know you are still about Littlelat. I remember you had a spare ticket from us for a University friend when we met outside the Megastore. Cannot remember the game but we were certainly in the Premiership then. How time flies!

Back to business--good to see the text Baj, well done as much more regular than the one on BBC Sport. Can we look forward to streaming in a year or two perhaps?

Anyone else just get a really big delay for the goal? Been running really smoothly so far but had to wait 2 or 3 minutes after the goal went in before it updated itself with a number of posts.

Seems to be the way with this service im afraid, whenever theres a goal we dont get updates for a couple of minutes.

Agree with Scudamore on the refresh but it worked well for me last night. Very grateful as I was on an interminably long conference call so couldn't listen to Saints Player & these updates are far quicker than the text commentary on that.

A little fine tuning but gratefully impressed so far

looks ok. But could use some sexy CSS.

is it using comet long-polling to update? if so, pity the server. or do we have to keep pressing 'refresh'. Ideal situation to try out html5's new websockets... when the buggers finally nail down the protocols.

edit: just answered my own question, refresh it is then

Its still in testing hence why

a) You have to refresh and it doesnt update AJAX style (it will, in the end)

b) Not styling exists, because at the moment we are worried more about function than form

c) It is only about 40% into development, but it "works" enough at the moment to be useful, hence why I have put it live.

For the technically minded amongst you, we will be running this off a separate lite http server soon meaning it sits separate from the forum and will ALWAYS work, even if the forum is suffering a slowdown.

b) Not styling exists, because at the moment we are worried more about function than form

c) It is only about 40% into development, but it "works" enough at the moment to be useful, hence why I have put it live.

For the technically minded amongst you, we will be running this off a separate lite http server soon meaning it sits separate from the forum and will ALWAYS work, even if the forum is suffering a slowdown.

is it on for tonight?

im sur eit auto updated against orient??

Thanks Baj.

Are you thinking of exposing it as an RSS feed?