Reading away Nov 22nd

Hatch

2327 is the normal away allocation, although on the highlights it looked like they gave palace more than the usual half a few weeks ago http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeatingPlan/0,,10306,00.html

i notice they have a offer on where if you buy a ticket for Burnley and Doncaster at home you get a free one for QPR at home.... again something for saints to think about to boost attendances for the less popular home games

"QPR have been given 4000 tickets for the game at the Madjeski later this month. (Also on sky)"

this is what Palace had as well, so looks like if we want 4000 tickets we can.... and considering it is only just 1 hour direct on the train and probably the closest thing we have to a local derby surely we can take that.

Loads of town centre pubs, with taxis / football special buses going from the train station.

Thats right mate - its right by the station, and its also just across the way from buses that will take you upto the stadium.

If you are training it up, this is most certainly the best pub for a pre-match pint, three guineas is a proper olde worlde pub with music to watch girls go by (reading station is good for this, if nothing else:smt118).

If you are driving however, I could recommend parking the other side of the motorway in Three Mile Cross, a couple of very neat little pubs (good local ale and banter) and a twenty minute walk to the ground.

DO NOT be tempted to go into Whitley (across the business park from the stadium). Even most Reading fans don't dare drink in those pubs...

If you are training it up, this is most certainly the best pub for a pre-match pint, three guineas is a proper olde worlde pub with music to watch girls go by (reading station is good for this, if nothing else:smt118).

If you are driving however, I could recommend parking the other side of the motorway in Three Mile Cross, a couple of very neat little pubs (good local ale and banter) and a twenty minute walk to the ground.

DO NOT be tempted to go into Whitley (across the business park from the stadium). Even most Reading fans don't dare drink in those pubs...

Ha! Interesting comment, some of us live in Whitley, in Reading! Just what are you trying to say???? ;)

(saying that, he's right! If you want to get on it after the game - get yourself back into the town centre)

Bought my train tickets for this one earlier today. Arriving just after 10am. Shuttle bus to the ground is quite decent to get. Stewards are a nightmare. The above ticket number sounds about right, around 2500.

the shuttle on the way back takes about an hour and a half, you have to queue for ages.

Remember this one being a nasty one before, I almost took a right kicking from some mindless Reading idiots. Anyway, I've got a box for this one

Sounds like a hard hat, some steel-capped boots, and a stab vest might be useful as well as a box. I guess the Reading idiots are accurate with their kicks if you think just a box is sufficient.

They are full of thick chav *****s. Average IQ of about 50.

Common , pikey bastards.

The reason I know this.

Thats where the wife is from.

Ouch! That must be fun for family gatherings. Does her father wear his tracksuit bottoms round by his knees to look cool like everyone else?

Thats right mate - its right by the station, and its also just across the way from buses that will take you upto the stadium.

Thanks for the info, any idea what time this pub starts getting packed, not sure weather to catch the 10.15am from Soton be in the pub for 11.10am or the 11.15am that would get us in there for 12.10am.

Thanks for the info, any idea what time this pub starts getting packed, not sure weather to catch the 10.15am from Soton be in the pub for 11.10am or the 11.15am that would get us in there for 12.10am.

If you were to get there at 12.10am you'd have to wait around a while for the pubs to re-open.

I'll be there, I'll be sh*tfaced and hopefully I won't have to spend ages trying to claim I'm not to drunk to enter the stadium like last time.

The Guineas is probably the most convenient pub if you are coming by train (it's in the old station concourse and just across the road from the buses down to the Mad Stad. Beyond that it has little enough to commend it and with at least 50 alternatives within 5 minutes walk I'd suggest something else nearby. In terms of a decent spot for a beer I would suggest either 3 Bs bar underneath the town hall (about 200 yards from the station), Oakford Social Club, straight across the road from the Guineas, a couple of Weatherspoons and an O'Neills on Friar street, again a couple of hundred yards away.

For decent food and proper beer nearest place is Chronicles round the corner in Valpy street or the Moderation, about 10 minutes walk away on Caversham Road.

The only real ale pubs in the town centre are the Hobgolblin on Broad Street (300 yards from the station) and a couple of scruffy independents.

Appropriate for Saints fans might be the Hop Leaf on Southampton Street as you head out of town towards the Stadium (you'd need to bus it or allow a good half an hour walking from there though.

Driving in I'd agree with the poster who suggested stopping south of the motorway and crossing the M4 at JNC 11. There's a couple of passable pubs in Three Mile Cross/Shinfield that you can walk from (the Swan is particularly dear to my heart as way back when the former landlord there used to be happy to serve us if we wandered in still wearing school uniform). However, I would probably suggest having a bit of lunch and a beer in one of the villages a bit further out - the Farriers in Spencers Wood, the George and Dragon in Swallowfield or the Bell at Grazeley before parking up near JNC 11.

Before you get so close there's a few really nice places in the country between Reading and Basingstoke if you're after a proper meal - try the Old House at Home near Rotherwick or the Shoulder of Mutton at Hazeley Heath.

Myself, I will probably start off near home in Caversham, where several pubs run coaches down to the ground.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully yesterday's result will boost numbers for this trip, although a couple of decent home results v Bristol C and Wolves would also help no doubt.

Surely we can sell out at least the initial 2,156 tickets can't we? If the club was in a more upbeat situation we'd have 4,000+ for this.

They're just a tad rough! Plus, they're miles away from anywhere.

Are there any left now? When I first worked at Ashmead School in the 1980's there was the Whitley Tavern (closed when last drove through), the Engineers Arms (now has houses on it), The Carousel (flats built on site) and the one on the Basingstoke Rd at the junction of Long Barn Lane which became a chinese restaurant and whose name escapes me now. We used to go the the World Turned Upside Down from school.

The Guineas is probably the most convenient pub if you are coming by train (it's in the old station concourse and just across the road from the buses down to the Mad Stad. Beyond that it has little enough to commend it and with at least 50 alternatives within 5 minutes walk I'd suggest something else nearby. In terms of a decent spot for a beer I would suggest either 3 Bs bar underneath the town hall (about 200 yards from the station), Oakford Social Club, straight across the road from the Guineas, a couple of Weatherspoons and an O'Neills on Friar street, again a couple of hundred yards away.

For decent food and proper beer nearest place is Chronicles round the corner in Valpy street or the Moderation, about 10 minutes walk away on Caversham Road.

The only real ale pubs in the town centre are the Hobgolblin on Broad Street (300 yards from the station) and a couple of scruffy independents.

A couple of comments, hope you don't mind as your info sems a little out of date.

1. 3 Guineas has been excellent for beer for some while now. Normally 5 or 6 ales on tap. Probably not even worth leaving if you're doing the shuttle buses.

2. 3B's doesn't open at lunch times now.

3. Other town centre pubs worth a go if ale is your thing (Hobgoblin is way over-rated IMO) are the Nag's Head (10 plus ales available) and the Allied Arms.

This site is well worth researching:

http://www.readingpubs.co.uk/

A couple of comments, hope you don't mind as your info sems a little out of date.

1. 3 Guineas has been excellent for beer for some while now. Normally 5 or 6 ales on tap. Probably not even worth leaving if you're doing the shuttle buses.

2. 3B's doesn't open at lunch times now.

3. Other town centre pubs worth a go if ale is your thing (Hobgoblin is way over-rated IMO) are the Nag's Head (10 plus ales available) and the Allied Arms.

This site is well worth researching:

http://www.readingpubs.co.uk/

Good amendments, comprehensive post from Foxy.

I'd second The Hop Leaf as it's my the pub side I play for (the last Pub Team left in the Reading Saturday League!) I'll certainly be stopping in there after. Small pub with the best in Hampshire ales!

Good amendments, comprehensive post from Foxy.

I'd second The Hop Leaf as it's my the pub side I play for (the last Pub Team left in the Reading Saturday League!) I'll certainly be stopping in there after. Small pub with the best in Hampshire ales!

Hop Leaf is my local, as it happens! But, Hampshire???

Juniors usually U16 but I'm not sure.

Someone said there is a long wait for the bus back to the train station, does anyone know if I am likely to get to the station in time for the 5.45 train?

Yea Juniors u16, you will be pushing it to catch that train mate you would have to leave early, we are catching the 19.45 back going for a few beers in the Three Guineas outside the railway station.