Conveyor belt of youth.........

washsaint

Looking at the Reserves side last night only Bart (who will probably never play for the first team again) was over 19.

Yet the side looks strong....this can only be a good thing as when (not if) we lose players like Lallana then we'll have replacements for them.

With the youth team now looking like it's getting back on track the futures bright, the futures orange.

Let's not get carried away again after 2 wins on the bounce.

We do not have a strong CCC team, not by a long way. Selling the likes of Lallana and replacing them with our reserves is only going to make them weaker.

Don't forget the likes of White, DMG, James and a few others have all looked good in the reserves at some point, but shown not to be ready for the first team. There is a huge difference between playing in front of one man and his dog (woof!) against Millwall reserves, and playing in front of 15,000 people in a competitive match.

Bit harsh on White who had one excellent game then a bad half against blackpool, when everyone was awful. I'd say the jury is still out as to whether he can do it this season.

James is decent IMO, but adjusting slowly to be a right back, especially as he gets little or no help in the role.

DMG I don't especially like, but I think he does have the ability to score regularly in this league, just an appalling attitude.

I can't comment on his performance at Derby as I didn't see it. I do not doubt he played well, but by all accounts Derby were very poor and it perhaps wasn't that difficult to look good against them. The real test IMO was Blackpool when they put up a decent fight and the team wasn't playing well. Yes everyone played badly, but to me James and White stood out as being particularly poor. In a nutshell, they just didn't look ready. James made mistakes, rash challenges and was poor positionally. White looked like a fish up a tree.

DMG, I was refering more to a couple of seasons ago when he couldn't stop scoring for the reserves, but couldn't assert himself on the first team. He has only scored one goal from open play in CCC, at Cardiff. He looks ok compared to our other options at the moment, but the likes of Rasiak, Jones, John and Saga were a class above for us in the past.

Slightly off-topic, but quite relevant nonetheless..

Nottingham Forest are poised to offer deals to Arsenal academy graduates James Dunne, 19, Paul Rodgers, 19 and Abu Ogogo, 18. (Daily Star)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/nottm_forest/7649361.stm

While our youth academy is undoubtedly strong, the lack of quality of our youngsters sometimes shines through. Maybe we ought to be doing as Forest are and shopping around for good youngsters from Prem sides, they shouldn't be too expensive and most should be available on frees if they're not offered first team contracts when they turn 18.

Either that or we should get some decent loans in, Norwich have loaned Leroy Lita for a month who is a top class striker and Wolves have loaned Carlos Edwards who is a fantastic winger. We need more strength in this team if we want to beat teams and not just record scrappy wins against low quality teams like Doncaster.

We just got a striker in on loan, he scored in the last game I guess you missed it. Shows we are still looking for loans when needed, personally I don't see the point in a month long loan unless we get unlucky with injuries and come up short in a certain position.

As for taking Premiership academy rejects I don't really see the point, we have a better academy that the majority of the teams up there anyway and anyone who is decent enough for this level will be signed up anyway.

Slightly off-topic, but quite relevant nonetheless..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/nottm_forest/7649361.stm

While our youth academy is undoubtedly strong, the lack of quality of our youngsters sometimes shines through. Maybe we ought to be doing as Forest are and shopping around for good youngsters from Prem sides, they shouldn't be too expensive and most should be available on frees if they're not offered first team contracts when they turn 18.

Either that or we should get some decent loans in, Norwich have loaned Leroy Lita for a month who is a top class striker and Wolves have loaned Carlos Edwards who is a fantastic winger. We need more strength in this team if we want to beat teams and not just record scrappy wins against low quality teams like Doncaster.

I think we need to sort out the finances this season but I agree with your post for the future.

But we have recruited Holmes Schenderlin Gasmi etc

and loaned Pekhart Cork and Jordan but probably have no money left

We just got a striker in on loan, he scored in the last game I guess you missed it. Shows we are still looking for loans when needed, personally I don't see the point in a month long loan unless we get unlucky with injuries and come up short in a certain position.

As for taking Premiership academy rejects I don't really see the point, we have a better academy that the majority of the teams up there anyway and anyone who is decent enough for this level will be signed up anyway.

We did have but not convinced any more , teams like Chelsea and even the Skates are pumping lots of money into their set ups.

Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City/ Man Utd and Middlesboro have set ups which make ours look poor.

On the subject of youth, does anyone know any names at the Saints academy I could ask for to recommend a young player? I wouldnt ask this willy-nilly but my 10 year old nephew is currently playing for the Hampshire elite under-13 side and Pompey and Chelsea are currently chomping at the bit to bring him to their respective academies. Without wanting to put too much pressure on the lad, he is currently outclassing 13 year-olds on a regular basis and he is 10. It just worries me a bit that Saints dont even appear to be on the radar, considering he is a Boyatt Wood lad and an avid Saints supporter. Did we cut the kids out totally as a cost-cutting measure when we were relegated? If not, I'd like to contact Saints and get them to send a scout to see him before he's snaffled by the skates or by Chelsea. Can anyone help me with this?

On the subject of youth, does anyone know any names at the Saints academy I could ask for to recommend a young player? I wouldnt ask this willy-nilly but my 10 year old nephew is currently playing for the Hampshire elite under-13 side and Pompey and Chelsea are currently chomping at the bit to bring him to their respective academies. Without wanting to put too much pressure on the lad, he is currently outclassing 13 year-olds on a regular basis and he is 10. It just worries me a bit that Saints dont even appear to be on the radar, considering he is a Boyatt Wood lad and an avid Saints supporter. Did we cut the kids out totally as a cost-cutting measure when we were relegated? If not, I'd like to contact Saints and get them to send a scout to see him before he's snaffled by the skates or by Chelsea. Can anyone help me with this?

What is the hampshire elite under 13 side ?

What is the hampshire elite under 13 side ?

What do you mean what is it?

It's a side consisting of players underneath the age of 13 who are considered to be the "elite" players of their respective age group. They then play matches against clubs academy sides in an attempt to get provide some decent opposition and also with the intention of getting them spotted and signed by the clubs. Matches have been scheduled against the likes of Fulham, Pompey and Chelsea with the latter two sides already expressing an interest in taking on my nephew. I'm just worried that Southampton arent getting involved, and as a result are missing a trick.

We did have but not convinced any more , teams like Chelsea and even the Skates are pumping lots of money into their set ups.

Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City/ Man Utd and Middlesboro have set ups which make ours look poor.

They can pump all the money they want into their academies but there comes a time when young players need competitive games to see if they can turn potential into realisation.

Boro have a decent record recently but personally I can't see why any decent young player would want to be at any of the others. Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea, and probably City now are probably the last places I'd want to be simply because to get in the team you have to be a £5+ million player so unless you're a Theo why move.

What do you mean what is it?

It's a side consisting of players underneath the age of 13 who are considered to be the "elite" players of their respective age group. They then play matches against clubs academy sides in an attempt to get provide some decent opposition and also with the intention of getting them spotted and signed by the clubs. Matches have been scheduled against the likes of Fulham, Pompey and Chelsea with the latter two sides already expressing an interest in taking on my nephew. I'm just worried that Southampton arent getting involved, and as a result are missing a trick.

What I mean is who runs it ?

If it is the Tyro league Rep sides then Academy coaches do watch them

They can pump all the money they want into their academies but there comes a time when young players need competitive games to see if they can turn potential into realisation.

Boro have a decent record recently but personally I can't see why any decent young player would want to be at any of the others. Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea, and probably City now are probably the last places I'd want to be simply because to get in the team you have to be a £5+ million player so unless you're a Theo why move.

Because Parents/Kids have egos and think they are good enough to make it at the top level, I am afraid that very few actually look at it rationally

unless Chelsea have a satelite academy down here I don't think he could sign for them as he must be within 1 hour travel time.

If he is playing for a Tyro side and is decent he will be put forward to Tyro Rep trials which take place around now. If he is good enough he will get in the Tyro rep side. Saints scouts have always attended Tyro rep trials and tyro rep games so he will be seen. Scouts also attend a shed load of tyro league games and he will stand out a mile if he is as good as you say. If you fear he has been overlooked (perhaps because he is playing up a few years) then just call the club and ask for the youth development officer and explain the situation. They will either come and watch or get him to come to a training session. At half term they tend to run training all week and lots of players are invited for trials.

Edited by Chez

unless Chelsea have a satelite academy down here I don't think he could sign for them as he must be within 1 hour travel time.

Just call the club and ask for trial. If he is playing for a Tyro side and is decent he will be put forward to Tyro Rep trials. If he is good enough he will get in the Tyro rep side. Saints scouts have always attended Tyro rep trials and tyro rep games. Scouts also attend a shed load of tyro league games. If the lad is as good as you say and you fear he has been overlooked then just call the club and ask for the youth development officer and explain the situation. They will either come and watch or get him to come to a traiuing session.

He is too young to play in the Tyro league as he is 10, but is allowed to represent the elite side in the one-off games they play against other academies.

Regarding Chelsea, their training ground is in Cobham, Surrey which could easily be reached within 1 hour.

The Youth Development Officer, you say? Fine, I shall try that route as I think its ludicrous Southampton wouldnt be interested if Pompey and Chelsea are.

He is too young to play in the Tyro league as he is 10, but is allowed to represent the elite side in the one-off games they play against other academies.

Regarding Chelsea, their training ground is in Cobham, Surrey which could easily be reached within 1 hour.

The Youth Development Officer, you say? Fine, I shall try that route as I think its ludicrous Southampton wouldnt be interested if Pompey and Chelsea are.

still do not understand who runs this elite side ?

Send his name to Crocker or Puckett that should sort it out. To be honest they may already know of him at that age and that standard. Things may already be in the pipeline. Good luck to the lad and hopefully if as good as you say Saints do not hang about. They some how missed most of the posters on here.

Do not give up even if you forward his name to Henderson and Wotte, a scout will be tasked... Go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ottery st mary, thought I'd just give a little update. My nephew yesterday played for this elite team against Bournemouth academy and absolutely ran the show in a 2-2 draw. Puckett was in attendance and made a beeline straight for him. Unfortunately my nephew is playing today for Chelsea at their Cobham training ground but the fact Saints are now getting involved is certainly a good thing. My brother-in-law has told me its more or less an all out war between Saints, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Pompey and Reading and Saints and Chelsea are winning the race.

Hi ottery st mary, thought I'd just give a little update. My nephew yesterday played for this elite team against Bournemouth academy and absolutely ran the show in a 2-2 draw. Puckett was in attendance and made a beeline straight for him. Unfortunately my nephew is playing today for Chelsea at their Cobham training ground but the fact Saints are now getting involved is certainly a good thing. My brother-in-law has told me its more or less an all out war between Saints, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Pompey and Reading and Saints and Chelsea are winning the race.

I am so pleased to hear this news and I wish the lad the very best of luck for the future.

I have heard good things of David Puckett with the young prospective footballers and hopefully Saints are in with a shout. I remember Chelsea have scouts inthe Hampshire area and previously took Keenan from Southampton area.

I am sure your nephew will be advised for the best by his parents, who will hopefully carefully consider all the propasals by all the interested parties.

Easy for me to say but now and during any YTS career the lad should still keep up his schooling/college.

I really do hope the lad progresses and achieves his dreams and goes on to be a good pro.

My cousin is at Coventry academy, he finds it tough, mainly because he does other things - study as well as sports. But there is a big emphasis on performance in games which I thought strange for the youngsters, rather than skills based approach. Does anyone know if it is like it at Saints or have we really gone dutch?

Glad to see Dave Puckett is onboard, he is a good guy and works very well with the youngsters.

Pompeys academy is getting good reviews after moving up from a school of excellence as is Readings, so if he gets the chance to choose, he has plenty of options

If they want him, they all operate a six week development centre and then offer him a contract after that.

Gool luck to to him.

Still no idea though of this elite team you are talking about though, unless it's Pace ?

Glad to see Dave Puckett is onboard, he is a good guy and works very well with the youngsters.

Pompeys academy is getting good reviews after moving up from a school of excellence as is Readings, so if he gets the chance to choose, he has plenty of options

If they want him, they all operate a six week development centre and then offer him a contract after that.

Gool luck to to him.

Still no idea though of this elite team you are talking about though, unless it's Pace ?

if it was under 14's it could well be Pace, using players from all over the county

if it was under 14's it could well be Pace' date=' using players from all over the county[/quote']

I am guessing this is the Hampshire Elite organisation.

http://www.worldyouthtournaments.com/EliteFootballpage.htm

Surprsied that the FA sanction players aged 10 playing with u13s. There are strict rules that the FA apply in all other cases about only playing up a max of 2 years. Although surprsied, I am also delighted because the FA Blazer Brigade usually gets this so wrong.

Following on from my last post, Ben (my nephew) played for the elite team against Chelsea on Wednesday and did so well Chelsea asked him to play for them against Bristol Rovers academy yesterday. I'm not sure of the final result but I know Ben scored as my brother in law called me just after. Apparently Ben is leaning towards the Saints as half the players he was playing alongside at Chelsea yesterday were foreign and the emphasis there was massively on individual talent as opposed to team play. For the record, the team he is playing for is Pace. I asked my sister yesterday. I watched them play a few weeks ago and I've never seen a bunch of kids that young spray the ball around like they do. The coach they have (incidentally a skate!) is top class.

Just hope the lad can keep this development up. For a 9 year old to have Saints, Chelsea, Reading, Pompey and Bournemouth fighting over him must mean he is a pretty promising talent.

Looking at the Reserves side last night only Bart (who will probably never play for the first team again) was over 19.

Yet the side looks strong....this can only be a good thing as when (not if) we lose players like Lallana then we'll have replacements for them.

With the youth team now looking like it's getting back on track the futures bright, the futures orange.

......... Yup ... The Future's Div 1 ...........

PS ... Don't tell Lowe we have a "strong" Reserve side ........ he'll play them all v Preston ...........