9/11

RedAndWhite91

So why do you screw up a memorial thread asking for memories and where you were. Stick your opinions up your a** this thread is about MEMORIES.

Start your own and ask the question it obviously means So much to you

Oh but that wouldn't be well 'ard would it.

And no, some innernet 'ard man in the comfort of some dodgy bedsit in the Uk is totally NOt qualified to comment on what that moron Bush subsequently did to the world.

But anyone who doesn't see the link between the two is a total ............

Now sod off and ruin another thread

That is quite precious! Are you drunk, maybe?

'Memories' you say? Ha! Ha! Memories about an event which had no direct impact on your life! How sad. Just like the millions of shallow idiots who 'mourned' Diana's death as though it meant something to them. People who try too hard to 'care' about something which has nothing to do with them are, frankly, sad.

9/11 - awful. Not good. But not a frickin soap opera cry-fest to give you sad souls something to 'care' about. Leave it alone. Get a life of your own, don't hijack others' grief.

The Flim United 93 was on TV last night and I just couldn't watch it. I just didn't want to sit there watching that knowing what was going to happen. I guess it's a bit like how old people feel watching the the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Probably the single most disturbing news story to happen in my lifetime.

I was at school having our school photo taken at the time. It took a good hour to arrange 1,000 plus students into an organised shape, I remember turning to the kid next to me and saying, "I bet there's something more interesting than this happening in the world right now." I was bored, but I've no idea why that popped into my head.

'Memories' you say? Ha! Ha! Memories about an event which had no direct impact on your life! How sad.

Are you really that dim that you think 9/11 didnt and still doesn't affect the life of someone that lives and works in the middle east?

'Memories' you say? Ha! Ha! Memories about an event which had no direct impact on your life! How sad. Just like the millions of shallow idiots who 'mourned' Diana's death as though it meant something to them. People who try too hard to 'care' about something which has nothing to do with them are, frankly, sad.

9/11 - awful. Not good. But not a frickin soap opera cry-fest to give you sad souls something to 'care' about. Leave it alone. Get a life of your own, don't hijack others' grief.

It had a massive impact in my life. The event itself was traumatic, but if you'd bothered to read the thread before poluting it you would have noticed that it caused huge stress and concerns to many down here. I lost somebody I knew in heartbreaking circumstances.

On top of that I spent almost a week with little sleep trying to stop panicking Amercina Lawyers ruining the life of my family by evacuating us and ruining my kids IB courses, destroying the family businesses of two of my staff and possibly bankrupting half of my customers that I had worked with for 8 years.

I held conference calls with the Irish Government who offered us "sanctuary" and had help from the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi to stop the knee jerk reactions.

No it did not affect me at all. And of course neither did the invasion, nor the car bomb that killed 4 people returning by car from my training them in Damascus, or the car bomb that blew up the office of one of my closest friends in the region which killed his secretary.

No, no didn't affect me at all, and as I have tried to tell you all a million times, it will eventually affect me when a friend is killed in a Mall/bus/train bombing in the UK

Are you really that dim that you think 9/11 didnt and still doesn't affect the life of someone that lives and works in the middle east?

Get off, Baj. Go back and read what I have said. The outcome of 9/11 was that it affected MILLIONS of folk in the Middle East. Not just comfy ex-pats like dubai-phil and his children's IB courses, all of whom had the luxury of 'panicky American lawyers' and contact at the Irish Government to get them out of harm's way before the might of the Empire was unleashed on the people of Iraq. My heart goes out to you dubai-phil, really. Sorry you had the luxury of caring about your kids' education whilst others in the Middle East were scraping their kids' body parts off the road after someone 20,000 feet above them dropped a bomb on their school. Sorry you had the inconvenience of those bloody lawyers trying to get you back to safety. No really, I feel for you. Must have been tough.

Over 1,000,000 people in Iraq and Afghanistan have been killed - some might say, murdered - by America and Britain in response to 9/11. And you want me to give more of a sh!t about an ex-pat who is no doubt out there earning many, many, many times more than the local wage and who has undoubtedly consciously made the choice to go work there because of such lucrative rewards, over the people of Iraq who were 100% completely innocent of the 9/11 attacks, but whom, none the less were slaughtered in their sleep to assuage the Revenge of the West?

Get off.

Get off, Baj. Go back and read what I have said. The outcome of 9/11 was that it affected MILLIONS of folk in the Middle East. Not just comfy ex-pats like dubai-phil and his children's IB courses, all of whom had the luxury of 'panicky American lawyers' and contact at the Irish Government to get them out of harm's way before the might of the Empire was unleashed on the people of Iraq. My heart goes out to you dubai-phil, really. Sorry you had the luxury of caring about your kids' education whilst others in the Middle East were scraping their kids' body parts off the road after someone 20,000 feet above them dropped a bomb on their school. Sorry you had the inconvenience of those bloody lawyers trying to get you back to safety. No really, I feel for you. Must have been tough.

Over 1,000,000 people in Iraq and Afghanistan have been killed - some might say, murdered - by America and Britain in response to 9/11. And you want me to give more of a sh!t about an ex-pat who is no doubt out there earning many, many, many times more than the local wage and who has undoubtedly consciously made the choice to go work there because of such lucrative rewards, over the people of Iraq who were 100% completely innocent of the 9/11 attacks, but whom, none the less were slaughtered in their sleep to assuage the Revenge of the West?

Get off.

Who said Phil suffered most? All he pointed out was that 911 had a direct impact on his life, which contradicts what you originally posted.

Who said Phil suffered most? All he pointed out was that 911 had a direct impact on his life, which contradicts what you originally posted.

Like I said, this is a remembrance thread for 9/11.

What happened subsequently will one day be proved to be the biggest disaster since World War II. It was all done for Greed of US Industry and a desire for revenge "because Saddam embarrassed W's Dad.

Anybody with an ounce of intelligence and experience in this part of the world saw it for what it was, and what would happen. In simple terms, Iraq was the buffer to Iranian expansion of influence in this region. The real outcome is not just the lives wasted so far but it will be the lives lost once they get their Nuclear Weapons.

Afghanistan is a completely different issue and only idiots get them confused. But of course that will also end badly as it has for every "invader" since the days of the North West Frontier.

9/11 was an event that needs remembering. It was perpetrated by a sane man with logic and reasoning that the West still criminally is incapble of understanding.

The aftermath was perprated by an insane man and his puppet for the benefit of their "best buddy" **** at Haliburton.

Actually that's unfair W didn't have enough brain cells to be classed as insane

My first reaction was "cool that's f**king awesome".....in the same way that special effects look good in films. That was my age though, and I did soon realise it wasn't "cool".

That said, it was a tragedy but I don't pretend to care about it more than I actually do.

My first reaction was that it WAS a special effect. I was working on a film at the time, and had dropped into a postproduction house in Soho. As I walked in the door, the TV was replaying the plane hitting the South Tower. I remember looking at it and thinking: that explosion and fire ball doesn't look quite right.

And then someone told me it was real.

It turned out that an acquaintance of mine, a cameraman called Paul Berriff, was filming at the base of the towers that morning. He thankfully survived - and came away with some frightening (and never broadcast) footage.

At the time, I was seeking permission to film at the Twin Towers, and the PR people at the WTC were meeting that morning to discuss the proposal. They also survived.

Edited by Verbal

how can you not understand how flawed what you are saying is?

so we shouldnt care about the innocent people that lost their lives on 9/11 because other people are also being killed?

congratulations - you have managed to work out that humanity is a brutal, self-destructive monster and that war is abhorrent. shall we give you a gold star?

have your inflammatory remarks got the response you wanted?

i happened to lose a dear family friend that day, should i not mourn his loss because people are being killed elsewhere? was it his fault? i also had close friends that have been injured, seen horrible things, and again sadly one that died in iraq. should i not also mourn his loss. was it his fault? did he personally make the decision to go to war?

i remember you once saying on a previous thread i was in line for a smack in the mouth (or words to that effect) if i was to walk in to your local (obviously that kind of violence perpetuated by yourself is totally acceptable isnt it?) - walk into any pub or home or community that has lost loved ones as a result of 9/11 or 7/7 or the wars in either afghanistan or iraq and see what happened if you spouted this absolute garbage then.

though i cant help but feel you might not be quite as brash without your keyboard to hide behind.

please elaborate

Well, pretty much feelings like this;

As posted by 1976_Child...."You refrain from getting all tearful over a date which most likely didn't affect anyone posting here one iota even 5 years ago, let alone today. All this blubbering about how 'where you were at the time' and 'how you felt'. Puke-worthy soap-opera shallow bullsh!t. Chances are 7/7 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum. But in the name of 'the War on Terror' over 1,000,000 innocent people have been slaughtered by America, Britain and et al. Not to mention the hundreds of British service men and thousands of US soldiers killed. For what?

And nothing, not even an insincere crocodile tear for them? Just so long as we can all wallow in our pious self back-slapping about 'remembering' where we were on 'that fateful day'.

Pass the ****ing bucket, you need to throw up."

Or does the fact it occured in London change things for you?

I was watching the whole thing unfold whilst packing to fly back to Dubai the next day :?

Absolute chaos at Manchester and Heathrow with flights diverted all over the show, thousands of passengers marooned looking for hotels and a queue a mile long at security. In the end ithe 12th was probably the safest day ever to fly such was the extra security restrictions. But don't mind admitting took several changes of mind whether to fly or not.

As posted by 1976_Child...."You refrain from getting all tearful over a date which most likely didn't affect anyone posting here one iota even 5 years ago, let alone today. All this blubbering about how 'where you were at the time' and 'how you felt'. Puke-worthy soap-opera shallow bullsh!t. Chances are 7/7 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum. But in the name of 'the War on Terror' over 1,000,000 innocent people have been slaughtered by America, Britain and et al. Not to mention the hundreds of British service men and thousands of US soldiers killed. For what?

And nothing, not even an insincere crocodile tear for them? Just so long as we can all wallow in our pious self back-slapping about 'remembering' where we were on 'that fateful day'.

There are 2 differences between 9/11 and the wars in the middle east you seem to be forgetting:

1) The wars were wars. Armed men killing armed men. Many innocent people are killed, but the coalition only did this by accident. Most of the innocent people were killed by terrorist bomb attacks. 9/11 on the other hand was just mass murder on a truly massive scale. An unprovoked attack on defenseless civilians.

2) 9/11 was the event that started it all off. The conflicts in the middle east are prolonged events over several years, all as a direct result of 9/11. As far as important moments go, 9/11 was right at the top. It was the one memorable, scarecely believeable day, from from which everything has since descended.

There are 2 differences between 9/11 and the wars in the middle east you seem to be forgetting:

1) The wars were wars. Armed men killing armed men. Many innocent people are killed, but the coalition only did this by accident. Most of the innocent people were killed by terrorist bomb attacks. 9/11 on the other hand was just mass murder on a truly massive scale. An unprovoked attack on defenseless civilians.

2) 9/11 was the event that started it all off. The conflicts in the middle east are prolonged events over several years, all as a direct result of 9/11. As far as important moments go, 9/11 was right at the top. It was the one memorable, scarecely believeable day, from from which everything has since descended.

1 - You can't start an illegal war, bomb heavily populated areas and create the conditions for terrorism and then just say that civilian deaths were "by accident". That's just a massive cop out. True Bush and Blair didn't set out to kill innocent people as an aim in itself - unlike the 9/11 terrorists - but they were seen as an acceptable means to their ends.

2 - 9/11 was the event that started it off? What did Iraq have to do with 9/11? Absolutely nothing.

I knew someone would think it was me saying that! Those were 1976_Child's words, not mine. Since Atticus agreed with "every word he said" (look at me everyone), I was asking whether he felt the same way about 7/7.

1 - You can't start an illegal war, bomb heavily populated areas and create the conditions for terrorism and then just say that civilian deaths were "by accident". That's just a massive cop out. True Bush and Blair didn't set out to kill innocent people as an aim in itself - unlike the 9/11 terrorists - but they were seen as an acceptable means to their ends.

2 - 9/11 was the event that started it off? What did Iraq have to do with 9/11? Absolutely nothing.

There is a massive difference in the motives. Innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizens getting caught in the crossfire of a battle between coalition forces and terrorist insurgents is a tragic loss of life, no doubt. However the motivation was never meant to cause civilian deaths. 9/11 was different. People turned on their TVs and saw 3,000 innocent people getting murdered. I'm not trying to devalue the lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq, but they will never have the same impact on the west as watching those planes hit those towers.

I know the official reason for the Iraq invasion was the WMDs and the 'unofficial reason' was for oil gains, but you can't say 9/11 didn't act as a catalyst for the war. For a start Iraq was, I think, the only country in the world to openly welcome the 9/11 attacks. It is/was also well known that there are memebers of Al Qaeda active in Iraq and the government was allowing them to train and plan attacks there.

Anyone who faills to understand that 9/11 gave Bush the moral outrage that he needed to invade Iraq is totally deluded. They are inextricably linked

Anyone who fails to understand that Iraq had NOTHING to do with Al Qaeda or WMD's is totally deluded or is Bush or Blair

Anyone who thinks that Afghanistan and Iraq are the same conflict about the same thing is totally deluded.

Afghanistan is the single most important issue for the security of you "Westerners". Unfortunately, because of 9/11 and Iraq it has been blighted by a total lack of direction or strategy, and the Regime that is now being supported in the name of YOUR Democratic ideals is insanely corrupt.

Because the Afghan mission has failed (lack of foresight and planning on what to do to win Hearts and Minds - ie improving the life of Afghans) the nett result is that you have managed to simply spread the poison to Yemen, Somalia and North West Pakistan.

The "War on Terror" is the biggest single disaster of the modern era. It has simply created thousands of new "soldiers" for the extremist cause.

Extremist Islam needs to be destroyed. It needs the help of all Muslim Nations to do that. It does not need Sound bites and opinion Polls from the West determining strategy, AND it needs the UK to stop giving Asylum and Social Security to Extremist Imams who are expelled from yemen, Saudi etc for being TOO extreme.

Chances are 9/11 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum. .

What a ****. I worked for a Investment Company in 2001 - one of the planes took out the entire office of one of our clients...clients that I was speaking to the previous business day. So dont poison this thread with your stupid ramblings - if you want start another one you heartless ****

There is a massive difference in the motives. Innocent Iraqi and Afghan citizens getting caught in the crossfire of a battle between coalition forces and terrorist insurgents is a tragic loss of life, no doubt. However the motivation was never meant to cause civilian deaths. 9/11 was different. People turned on their TVs and saw 3,000 innocent people getting murdered. I'm not trying to devalue the lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq, but they will never have the same impact on the west as watching those planes hit those towers.

I know the official reason for the Iraq invasion was the WMDs and the 'unofficial reason' was for oil gains, but you can't say 9/11 didn't act as a catalyst for the war. For a start Iraq was, I think, the only country in the world to openly welcome the 9/11 attacks. It is/was also well known that there are memebers of Al Qaeda active in Iraq and the government was allowing them to train and plan attacks there.

I never said the 9/11 wasn't a catalyst. It was just the pre-text that the neo-cons wanted.

On your last point any links between Iraq and Al Qaeda were massively overblown. 2008 Senate Report "Statements and implications by the President and Secretary of State suggesting that Iraq and al-Qa'ida had a partnership, or that Iraq had provided al-Qa'ida with weapons training, were not substantiated by the intelligence." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein_and_al-Qaeda_link_allegations

if it helps....the UK and US go into enormous detail and effort to minimize civillian deaths...where as the terrorists do the exact opposite...

This may well be true from the point of view of the military at the sharp end but given that we went to war in Iraq on incredibly flimsy evidence would suggest that the decision makers didn't go into enormous detail and effort to minimise civilian lives.

This may well be true from the point of view of the military at the sharp end but given that we went to war in Iraq on incredibly flimsy evidence would suggest that the decision makers didn't go into enormous detail and effort to minimise civilian lives.

the reasons being what ever they are.......when planning such things there is untold effort to put civillian casulties to a minimum....

the decisions to go to war lies with the politicians...the planning of a war lies with the military

I never said the 9/11 wasn't a catalyst. It was just the pre-text that the neo-cons wanted.

On your last point any links between Iraq and Al Qaeda were massively overblown. 2008 Senate Report "Statements and implications by the President and Secretary of State suggesting that Iraq and al-Qa'ida had a partnership, or that Iraq had provided al-Qa'ida with weapons training, were not substantiated by the intelligence." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein_and_al-Qaeda_link_allegations

I think we're sort of saying the same thing... just to clarify my point:

- Iraq and Afghanistan were completely seperate conflicts with different reasons for going to war

- 9/11 provided a catalyst, an excuse almost, for both

- The Taliban were know for supporting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

- Iraq wasn't exactly famous for supporting Al Qaeda, but I struggle to believe a country who hated the west that much would have nothing to do with them.

I think we're sort of saying the same thing... just to clarify my point:

- Iraq and Afghanistan were completely seperate conflicts with different reasons for going to war

- 9/11 provided a catalyst, an excuse almost, for both

- The Taliban were know for supporting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

- Iraq wasn't exactly famous for supporting Al Qaeda, but I struggle to believe a country who hated the west that much would have nothing to do with them.

Al Qaeda's primary source of support during the years building up to the events of 9/11 was

Saudi Arabia

It was not ever Iraq. The UK has Al Qaeda operatuves and sympathisers - do the US invade on that pretext? No. Would they have considered invading Saudi? No. Why? Because of Money.

The Bin Laden family is massively wealthy and influential and gravely ashamed of it's lost son. Yet the UK allowed AQ symapthisers deported from Saudi to set up shop in the UK at the taxpayers expense.

Oh and of course at the time of 9/11 we all know the US closed all it's airspace, save for the flights that got the Bin Laden family (such good customers of Haliburton) out of the US.

Afghanistan is a classic example of the mess the Cold War made of this planet and the way that it let the nutters into the void. Who trained the Taliban, supplied them weapons and money? Yep the US.

History will show that in fact many lives would have been saved and the world made far safer IF the Yanks had gone in and helped the Russkies (yeah as if)

Iraq was revenge and MONEY. The real home of AQ will never be touched. Too many dollars at stake

(See Charlie Wilson's War

Why do you think being in London would change his views on it? Why would location matter?

Al Qaeda's primary source of support during the years building up to the events of 9/11 was

Saudi Arabia

It was not ever Iraq. The UK has Al Qaeda operatuves and sympathisers - do the US invade on that pretext? No. Would they have considered invading Saudi? No. Why? Because of Money.

The Bin Laden family is massively wealthy and influential and gravely ashamed of it's lost son. Yet the UK allowed AQ symapthisers deported from Saudi to set up shop in the UK at the taxpayers expense.

Oh and of course at the time of 9/11 we all know the US closed all it's airspace, save for the flights that got the Bin Laden family (such good customers of Haliburton) out of the US.

Afghanistan is a classic example of the mess the Cold War made of this planet and the way that it let the nutters into the void. Who trained the Taliban, supplied them weapons and money? Yep the US.

History will show that in fact many lives would have been saved and the world made far safer IF the Yanks had gone in and helped the Russkies (yeah as if)

Iraq was revenge and MONEY. The real home of AQ will never be touched. Too many dollars at stake

(See Charlie Wilson's War

Enough of this intellectual clap trap.

The only real 9/11 issue we are all interested in is what you were doing that day. ;)

We can then carry on with our lives until this time next year.

To get back to the point of this thread without an out-of-place discussion of the merits of the repercussions or otherwise...

I was working on IT Support at a government building in South Wales, heard the news about the first plane crash, like everyone else assumed it was a light aircraft or something, then realised that as we couldn't get to CNN, BBC news or any other news website, that we'd better find out what was going on, because at the very least our internet server was knackered and we needed to reboot it.

When the second plane hit sometime around 2pm (5 hour time difference, so that's about right) we all sat around watching the clips being repeated over and over all afternoon on whatever website we could find - the more obscure the site the better, because all the main ones were "crashing the internet".

There was genuine concern for a little while that the web communications failing were all part of a plot linked to the Tower bombings too, a bit half-baked but representative of the kind of fear and panic that was going about on a day which signalled the end of the post-Cold War "peace" (ignoring the US-led "UN"'s role in Angola, Balkans etc) and plunged the western world back into a time of fear and crisis with an attack that from a terrorist perspective was a huge great big free advert for the anti-Western capitalist cause.

I wasn't directly impacted, but I knew a colleague who'd been at the top of the tower the week before, and I'd been up the thing 18 months previously - and had been amazed at the sheer scale of the building, the surface area and how much stuff there was at the top - it was the scale of West Quay x 4 sides, with 100 floors below it.

Anyone who saw the coverage wherever they could get at it whilst at work would have been in a half-waking surreal daze, and aside from refusing to watch the news for the rest of the day after catching up at 6pm, the only other thing I can recall is that I nearly ran two kids over on the way home whilst driving to pick my girlfriend up from work. They ran straight out into the road and stopped on the white lines in the middle of the road about a yard short of getting wiped out by me - I know I wasn't speeding, but I was in a bit of a daze and definitely wouldn't have stopped in time.

The whole day was a bit weird, as was the world for a good few days afterwards. We all knew things had changed, though we didn't know how exactly, yet.

As for the Diana thing, I couldn't care less that she'd died, was more annoyed at the loss of proper tv for a few days ( until Sky put the Simpsons on loop), the people who were mourning her were mostly chav mental celeb-idolising idiots, and there was no similarity between the two things whatsoever. The 9/11 thing was a like a surreal Hollywood movie-stlye mass murder performed live on television with some harrowing images, and with the knowledge that it was real you'd have to be some kind of empty vessel or show a severe lack of comprehension not to have been emotionally affected by it, at least in the immediate aftermath.

Edited by The9