Woodwork

Robsk II

It might be just me, but haven't we hit the woodwork an absolute sh*tload this season? I know you have to TAKE chances, but for me woodwork is close enough to not really hold players too liable. Like lamberts at Yeovil. Great hit, unlucky - so how would our season be looking now if those woodwork hits had been goals instead? have we really had more than usual, or does it just feel that way?

Oh, sorry Deppo. You're quite right, how remiss of me.

FF? Should I have said 'metalwork', or is 'woodwork' and accepted term for football goal-posts of any kind? A nod to the roots of the sport, as it were?

I think it just comes under the umbrella term 'Design Technology' now. I think it would be safe to say that we've hit the design technology too many times this season.

I would say that those two will definitely have all the answers to this. Or perhaps Legod Third Coming. If not, CB Fry knows everything and is good at explaining it on the internet to thick people like you and I, in a manner befitting our internet stupidity.

I would say that those two will definitely have all the answers to this. Or perhaps Legod Third Coming. If not, CB Fry knows everything and is good at explaining it on the internet to thick people like you and I, in a manner befitting our internet stupidity.

I have always found CB Fry to be quite patient and willing to accept others opinions, whenever he has told me that I am WRONG WRONG WRONG and then proved it by remembering things I've said a year ago, I've always thought how nice of him to take the time to enlighten me.

Back to the original point.. mark II

If Saints had fired the synthetic polymer ball into the man-made fibre netting (LIKED RON DAVIES DID, AND THAT) instead of striking the non-specific Design Tech framework (THIS COULD POTENTIALLY INCLUDE FRAMEWORKS CRAFTED FROM 'ALOOMINUM' LIKE IN THE USA), where would we be now?

We have hit the post 11 times so far BUT we are only ranked 5th in this league as Plymouth have hit the post 16 times!

The player who has hit the post the most for us is Barnard (3 times)

We have received our own luck as the other team has hit ours 3 times.

and finally.....

Jason Puncheon has covered more blade of grass than any other player in this league however he has achieved the highest shot which cleared the bar by 55 yards in our home game against Rochdale.

I got this off a great website called

http://www.sadgeeks.com

I think it just comes under the umbrella term 'Design Technology' now. I think it would be safe to say that we've hit the design technology too many times this season.

agreed, a cross bar would not fall under the description of post as it is a bar not a post and 'Woodwork' is a dated description of the parametric area we describe in football as a "goal" Had our shots been lower or narrower or the paramaters been high and wider we would have safely been inside them and had 4 more goals, two more wins and 4 more points.

To add further fuel to this debate,

Are all posts/bars standardised in shape?

Are they all cylindrical these days? Are clubs allowed to still use square shaped woodwork.

Also I seem to remember reading an article in Shoot Magazine in about 1984 that Southampton used posts that were more oval in shape.

For me, saying things like "woodwork" about metal posts is a term that's part of this countrys football history. Like saying "linesman" or "Charity shield" neither are that anymore but people still say them. I suppose I'm a bit of traditionalist in this respect.

For me, saying things like "woodwork" about metal posts is a term that's part of this countrys football history. Like saying "linesman" or "Charity shield" neither are that anymore but people still say them. I suppose I'm a bit of traditionalist in this respect.

Me too. We're in Division 3.

We called them jumpers!

So are you telling me that football is no longer played between whole villages with the pitch about 6 miles long. God where have i been for all those years although i do remember having to put my jumper down as a kid and then having to dodge all the dog doo doo whilst playing.

I've just spoken to a source, who didn't want to be named, but was told the following. make of it what you will:

"[the goals at SMS] are made of quite thin plastic which is quite flexible to pressure, easily moved, but there is something hard about an inch past the plastic, which could well be a metal frame."

Incredible.

It's very nearly good finishing, and I for one think hitting the woodwork or going close is not worthy of condemnation bar from very close range. It's an inexact science, is kicking a ball, and if you worked out the mean 'miss' distance over the course of a season, I'd say that a team who are consistently close but only score the same as a team who often blaze miles over are more worthy of praise. Of course only the result counts in the game, but as individual performance goes, I would argue that consistent closeness suggests higher skill.

It's very nearly good finishing, and I for one think hitting the woodwork or going close is not worthy of condemnation bar from very close range. It's an inexact science, is kicking a ball, and if you worked out the mean 'miss' distance over the course of a season, I'd say that a team who are consistently close but only score the same as a team who often blaze miles over are more worthy of praise. Of course only the result counts in the game, but as individual performance goes, I would argue that consistent closeness suggests higher skill.

Is that the new term for crossbar?

It might be just me, but haven't we hit the woodwork an absolute sh*tload this season? I know you have to TAKE chances, but for me woodwork is close enough to not really hold players too liable. Like lamberts at Yeovil. Great hit, unlucky - so how would our season be looking now if those woodwork hits had been goals instead? have we really had more than usual, or does it just feel that way?

We haven't had a penalty either which RL would have taken and maybe kick started him to greater things.

We haven't had a penalty either which RL would have taken and maybe kick started him to greater things.

Good point...I remember us getting two pens against Yeovil last season and Rickie banged them both in. Seemed to kick start both our's and RL season

None of our players have ever, as far as I'm aware, hit the post or bar whether wood, metal, polymer composite or other.

What advantage would you get out of hitting the post or bar? More likely to do yourself some damage. If they have been, and I've just missed it, then no wonder Pardew was sacked.

Whilst we have been hitting the framework woodwork metalwork or indeed plastic coated work a lot I would say our luck has not been in we have also seen some great save's against us and our opponents have not been making mistakes & we have not been getting the bounce of the ball.

However if we make a mistake or conceed a chance they have been taken Plymouth Rochdale & Orient to name but 3 they all created very little but scored.

Is it the time for our luck to change or are our players goimg to find there shooting boots it would be nice if it happens Saturday and we can get a few goals & get our home form sorted out.

None of our players have ever, as far as I'm aware, hit the post or bar whether wood, metal, polymer composite or other.

What advantage would you get out of hitting the post or bar? More likely to do yourself some damage. If they have been, and I've just missed it, then no wonder Pardew was sacked.

That IS why pardew really got fired. Aren't you ITK?

That IS why pardew really got fired. Aren't you ITK?

Ok, I'll divulge something for a change but I can't tell you who my source is - it's some ****ed up bloke who hangs around the cheaper parts of the corporate hospitality areas spouting his mouth off to anyone who'll listen; he was probably a car salesman or builder with a liberal attitude to compliance and a penchant for hanging around golf clubs thinking it makes him a bit better than his real mates, not the ones who pretend to like him, and has an awful lot of low-grade "status symbols" purchased on credit and pretends to be knowledgeable about wine, whisky and brandy but is in fact a complete dunderhead - Pardew hasn't actually been fired...

He observes matches under the guise of a goal post. You will have noticed that we only ever hit the left post. Look a bit closer at the right one on Saturday...

Where are our statos when they are needed for this crucial thread?

How many times have we hit the woodwork and not scored?

How many times have all our opponents against us hit the wood work and not scored?

I bet if we knew and all these near misses had gone in we would be in exactly the same position on the table as we are now.

I seem to remember Barney kicking the post V Orient after hitting the woodwork/metalwork whatever for the 2nd time that game and also seen the keeper make 2 world class saves to deny him.

We have hit the post 11 times so far BUT we are only ranked 5th in this league as Plymouth have hit the post 16 times!

The player who has hit the post the most for us is Barnard (3 times)

We have received our own luck as the other team has hit ours 3 times.

and finally.....

Jason Puncheon has covered more blade of grass than any other player in this league however he has achieved the highest shot which cleared the bar by 55 yards in our home game against Rochdale.

I got this off a great website called

http://www.sadgeeks.com

Surely it couldn't have been worse than his shot v orient that nearly went out of the ground.