5th Ashes Test

Jimmy_D

the BBC reporter wrote that whilst it didn't show up on hotspot it did on the snickometer. It just shows that it was a marginal decision and so the batsman gets the benifit of the doubt.

I still don't get why they booed Clarke when he went out to bat,anybody able to tell me?

even Bell doesnt know if he hit it or not :lol:

well we wont lose this now...worst result for us will be a draw.

Lets bat all morning and throw them in if we can.

Let's bat all day, that would hurt them. Bresnan Ton & Prior gets a double...

But in reality, if we can get through to lunch and add another 40 or 60 runs that leaves them 65 ish overs tomorrow at an improbable (for teh Aussie top order) 4 an over would still only get them to 260 at the end of the day which would bring the scores about even.

Thing is, I cannot see Strauss making sure that Anderson & Bresnan & Swann do anything other than strangle their scoring as we did so well for their first 8 wickets, so they have to try and force the pace - game over

A 2-1 series win is in the record books for ever. Sure a 3-1 win may well earn a few more World Ranking points, but go for what is on the table first and then see if there is a no risk chance to finish on a high.

A full day of sun on the SCG wicket - still think Swanny could finally have his day after lunch tomorrow

Edited by dubai_phil

the BBC reporter wrote that whilst it didn't show up on hotspot it did on the snickometer. It just shows that it was a marginal decision and so the batsman gets the benifit of the doubt.

I still don't get why they booed Clarke when he went out to bat,anybody able to tell me?

He was booed for no other reason than he's the Aussie Captain. It's become something of a tradition among the Barmy Army apparently.

We rode our luck today with some of the decisions, but that was an awesome collective effort with the bat.

We still can't let up the pressure, but as long as we don't you'd imagine we'd probably win from here, and at least get the draw.

He was booed for no other reason than he's the Aussie Captain. It's become something of a tradition among the Barmy Army apparently.

We rode our luck today with some of the decisions, but that was an awesome collective effort with the bat.

We still can't let up the pressure, but as long as we don't you'd imagine we'd probably win from here, and at least get the draw.

thanks but I was under the impression it was the Aussies booing him

A full day of sun on the SCG wicket - still think Swanny could finally have his day after lunch tomorrow

Totally agree. As England are ahead we don't have to force the pace of the game. I think Bresnan and Prior should throw the bat in the morning and get a lead as close to 360 as possible, leaving 2 1/2 days to bowl Australia out.

With Australia having to win they will have to be aggressive, which will be hard on a deteriorating pitch. Can see Swann skittling them all out by the fifth morning.

Totally agree. As England are ahead we don't have to force the pace of the game. I think Bresnan and Prior should throw the bat in the morning and get a lead as close to 360 as possible, leaving 2 1/2 days to bowl Australia out.

With Australia having to win they will have to be aggressive, which will be hard on a deteriorating pitch. Can see Swann skittling them all out by the fifth morning.

I think we need to bowl at the stumps when we have players like Johnson and Hilfenhaus in, we tried to bowl great balls at them when we only needed to have the 'you miss we hit' mentality. I can't recall us trying yorkers. i went to bed after watching us plodding away at those 2 and you could sense they would make a decent stand....as for Gower's arrogance saying that johnson would score nothing. They got 80 more runs than they deserved 1st innings.

Still a great day today (I didnt stay up this time) and hopefully we can go on and grind them into the dirt

Still a superb bowling attack of course.

thanks but I was under the impression it was the Aussies booing him

Ah, that'd be because he hasn't done much with the bat recently.

Opinion is... split... as to whether he should be the next captain, there was one poll that put 15% of respondants as wanting Clarke to come in as captain.

Except there's only 2 days left of the test... even 4 sessions could be enough to bowl the aussies out so bat as long as we can & declare so we can get a few overs before tea tomorrow.

Edited by Gorgiesaint

Local telly here has a summary show with McAffrey & Chris Cairns (who talks a lot more sense than the main commentators)

Couple of points he made - when the Aussies were in their prime they intimidated the opposition and also the umpires, they (NZ) felt they were done by 10 bad decisions to 2 in one series. The Aussie's have become so used to everything going their way, that now the decisions are pretty much even they don't like it.

2nd one was about the SCG pitch, he made the point (again) that it really does tend to do weird stuff on the last day of tests and that batting for 2 sessions and facing 150 has seen many teams turned over. He reckons we've got enough about our attack to turn them over already especially as Watson (& Mitchell with the one that got Bell) managed to get a small amount of reverse swing going, thinks our attack will exploit it far better, BUT we shouldn't be complacent and should take as much time out the game as we can while adding more runs.

Wow, that was a nice way to start the day. Cup of coffee, turn on telly and Tremlett gets two in two balls, to see Aussies struggling at 170ish for 7 - then look to the side and see the trails by figure. Brain goes WTF, starts to try and do the math and suddenly says we got 600 PLUS?

Massive lolage then for the final half hour as the Aussie taters trying to find SOMETHING positive to say.

Squashed like a bug, no wonder the Barmy Army were singing. Great effort boys. Highest England Score in Australia and Anderson & Tremlett make the ball look like a Boomerang on the same pitch.

Think the Aussies should stick to playing Kenya & Holland in Test matches for a while until they get some confidence back in order to give us a game

Morgan can come straight in. Seemless.

I dont usually disagree with you Hatchinson but on this one i shall. Dont think Morgan is there yet as a test player. Im sure he will but think he's not got it upstairs. Reckon the selectors and cap'n will go for a similar player, one who can turn his arm from time to time and hold up an end waiting for the new ball. Sean Ervine maybe.. :)

I dont usually disagree with you Hatchinson but on this one i shall. Dont think Morgan is there yet as a test player. Im sure he will but think he's not got it upstairs. Reckon the selectors and cap'n will go for a similar player, one who can turn his arm from time to time and hold up an end waiting for the new ball. Sean Ervine maybe.. :)

I know that the team is like the league of nations these days, but dont think we can quite get away with someone who is about to play for Zimbabwe (again)

James Hildrith would get my vote

Who would your Man of The Series be?

Alistair Cook would get my vote.

Matt Prior would be second.

Cook is a no brainer.

Anderson in runner up spot. Best bowling performance for donkeys years, kept to the plan and led the attack so well that nobody really noticed that we ended the series with 2 of our first choice attack not playing.

The REAL tough question will be in the summer Tests

Stuart Broad.

Who do you leave out? Finn (probably) Bresnan? Has bowled superbly to stifle them Tremlett? Has he become a real Test Bowler? After all he hasn't had much to bowl at quality wise

8)

Just watching the day four highlights! after Tremlett takes the 7th Wicket of Johnson, the cameras go round the ground, There is a semi hidden Saints emblem behind some bloke in a navy blue and white horizontal t-shirt! Always need a glimpse of the best team in the world at a great sporting moment!

Fantastic!!!

Been nervous about this series the whole of last year, and we didn't just win the series but we absolutely smashed them to bits.

3 innings victories is just mental.

Going to spend all day tomorrow looking at the stats, records broken all over the place.