Canada F1 GP

JustMike

Mclarens decision to run with the wet set up on their wing may prove costly, way off the pace in quali

Jenson: "No, we arent running a wet set up"

back to jake humphrey

Jake: "So McLaren running a wet set up then.."

what the ****?

Whitmarsh said to Jake in the interview before quali that they were

Bizarre decision at a track which is supposed to suit your car and your driver has been on pole for the last 3 years - unless of course they know they're slower than Red Bull & Ferrari anyway

What the hell was Hamilton doing again!? No way Button did anything wrong in that collision, he was just following the racing line and Hamilton was far too aggressive there. Yes he was faster with his exit of the corner but that was not cricket.

Wow. After all the waiting I'm so glad I stuck with it.

So pleased for Jenson. Got tagged twice, once by his team-mate, had a drive through penalty and was last - 3 seconds behind the HRTs - after the penultimate safety car. Surely that was the best win of his career.

Don't know what's going through Hamilton's head at the moment. It's like he's driving touring cars in a computer game with his over-enthusiasm to get past everyone.

It's a shame Schumi didn't get a podium after by far his best race since his come-back.

Great drive from Di Resta until he got a bit clumsy and broke his front wing. This lad has a lot of potential.

Have to agree with Jack Frost though... What is the point in having full-wet tyres if they are just going to keep the safety car out until it's dry enough for inters?

Best moment of the day: Button's girlfriend ripping the p155 out of Vettel's finger celebration :-)

Best race I've seen in a long, long time.

Hamilton has become a little too arrogant. After his "Maybe it's because I'm black" comment at Monaco, he seems to think the world is against him. If he was so much faster than Jenson, why didn't he pass him on the right? But fair does to Jenson, damn good drive. As Bexy said, a shame Shumi didn't get a podium but nice to see that he was almost competitive. I am not sure I am a great fan of DRS if all teams don't have it and if you have to regulate it's use. Maybe it is the other teams' fault but Schumi didn't have a chance, and strange that a team of Mercs stature couldn't incorporate it.

I am not sure I am a great fan of DRS if all teams don't have it and if you have to regulate it's use. Maybe it is the other teams' fault but Schumi didn't have a chance, and strange that a team of Mercs stature couldn't incorporate it.

All teams do have it, but the rules stipulate that it can only be used when you are following another car and are within 1 second of him. Schumi didn't stand a chance because as the car in front he wasn't allowed to use his DRS.

I made this point after the Turkish GP earlier in the season when Button was struggling with his tyres a bit late on in the race but was completely helpless to defend his position because the DRS made it far too easy for the following drivers to get past.

All teams do have it, but the rules stipulate that it can only be used when you are following another car and are within 1 second of him. Schumi didn't stand a chance because as the car in front he wasn't allowed to use his DRS.

I made this point after the Turkish GP earlier in the season when Button was struggling with his tyres a bit late on in the race but was completely helpless to defend his position because the DRS made it far too easy for the following drivers to get past.

And I made the point it was 99% his tyre wear and 1% DRS :p

I think it was a brilliant race and was only let down by the safety car being out far too long, and that was proved by the fact that cars were changing to inters within 2-3 laps of the safety car deeming it safe to race.

I totally agree with them stopping the race but it should never have started under the safety car, and after the restart the safety car should have been out 2-3 laps maximum, as there was actually a dry line emerging around parts of the track.

I wonder if the drivers are starting to influence this for strategy reasons, i do think it's becoming ridiculous. It's nowhere near the BTCC where they have a safety car everytime a crisp packet blows on to the track but I think each driver should have to vote on whether it's safe enough to race at the end of every other lap, as hopefully the backmarkers will outvote some of the teams at the front trying it on.

And I made the point it was 99% his tyre wear and 1% DRS :p

And I have to disagree. Just look at the speed advantage that Webber and Button had over MSC on the back straight when their tyre wear would have been about the same. There was never any question that Schumi would defend the position when all they had to do was activate the DRS and just breeze past him.

And I have to disagree. Just look at the speed advantage that Webber and Button had over MSC on the back straight when their tyre wear would have been about the same. There was never any question that Schumi would defend the position when all they had to do was activate the DRS and just breeze past him.

I was, dear sir, refering to your previous post, not yesterdays race ;)

I was, dear sir, refering to your previous post, not yesterdays race ;)

Yes, I know. But the example I gave of yesterday's race to back up my previous point regarding Turkey. With tyres that had done the same amount of laps, the DRS enabled Webber and Button to just breeze past Schumi without any sort of challenge, and this is the man who never lets anybody past him easily. Therefore I maintain my position that the DRS makes it far too easy for drivers to get past a very-slightly-slower car in front. They don't need to take a risk to get past any more and the sport is worse off for it.

I think DRS is a good idea but they are getting the start points wrong sometimes.

They should be setting it so that drivers can get very very close by the end of the straight, enough to have a go, it should not be set so early that the move is made before the corner even arrives.

I guess it must be hard to judge where to put it as a lot will depend on setup i guess.

I'm not sure DRS is a great idea. It only works because teams choose to run high downforce wings for the corners, at the expense of top speed. Nobody forces them to do that.

DRS was, fortunately or unfortunately, introduced at the same time as the switch to new tyres, so it's not really possible to say whether this year's overtaking is down to DRS or tyres. I'm with Baj on this, that I think the tyres are having a much greater impact than DRS.

I think if the tyre restrictions were removed, you would have far more exciting racing without DRS on most tracks (Monaco excepted). Why are teams restricted to only the same 2 compounds for each race, and have to run both? Let them choose, from hard compounds with 0 stops to softer compounds with 3 or 4 stops, and watch the overtaking, without the need for DRS. Maybe go back to more than 1 supplier. But I would keep the requirement to start the race on the tyres you qualified on, to eliminate the "one-lap" wonders.

And the reason for so many safety cars in wet weather is because the teams choose to run the floor too close to the ground, again to gain a downforce advantage, but the cars are undriveable in any more than a few mm's of standing water. If wet weather is predicted, they could raise the running height, at the expense of downforce in the dry/damp conditions. If we're not careful the aerodynamaticists will spoil the fun of the sport. They're cars, not eurofighters.

I am not sure the aerodynamaticists are ruining the sport, I think that the teams with vastly varying budgets are doing that. Not sure that the answer is a standard engine for all teams (Ferrari doesn't want that, nor many others), but that would even things up a bit. So far this season, providing you don't fall off the track, only 6 out of 24 cars realistically have a chance of the podium. Draws parallels to the Premier League, which to me is a tad boring as it is too predictable.

DRS was, fortunately or unfortunately, introduced at the same time as the switch to new tyres, so it's not really possible to say whether this year's overtaking is down to DRS or tyres. I'm with Baj on this, that I think the tyres are having a much greater impact than DRS..

I think it's having a massive effect on results. Without DRS in the last 10 laps I reckon the result of the Canadian GP would have been Vettel, Schumacher, Button, Webber.

What an epic race, probably the best I've ever watched. I'm absolutely loving this season :D

I have to admit I've always had a nagging doubt in the back of my mind over whether Jenson deserved his world title, just because his car was so much quicker than everyone elses. This race though, seeing a driver go from the back, not in the quickest car, to win down to his sheer ability in those driving conditions... Has anyone ever had a better win than that? All those nagging doubts have well and truly gone now.

What an epic race, probably the best I've ever watched. I'm absolutely loving this season :D

I have to admit I've always had a nagging doubt in the back of my mind over whether Jenson deserved his world title, just because his car was so much quicker than everyone elses. This race though, seeing a driver go from the back, not in the quickest car, to win down to his sheer ability in those driving conditions... Has anyone ever had a better win than that? All those nagging doubts have well and truly gone now.

You mean an F1 champion who won because he had the fastest car rather than being the best driver........ Im shocked to hear this..... ;)

You mean an F1 champion who won because he had the fastest car rather than being the best driver........ Im shocked to hear this..... ;)

Heh, I realise how it sounds, and I realise it's the case for virtually every driver that's won the world title. I guess my doubt over whether he deserved it comes from the controversy over the Brawn GP car, whether it was breaking the rules etc.

Don't get me wrong, Button is my favourite driver out there, I'm just happy to see that his driving ability is up there with the very best. (Ok, we already knew that, he's an F1 driver, just getting a drive is special, but this was something special above that)

I think the vast majority of the top 5 or 10 F1 drivers would have had a good chance at winning the championship if they were sat in the best car. As Lighthouse always says to me, Massa's seat is wasted on him at Ferrari, and I agree

I think the vast majority of the top 5 or 10 F1 drivers would have had a good chance at winning the championship if they were sat in the best car. As Lighthouse always says to me, Massa's seat is wasted on him at Ferrari, and I agree

He came oh-so-close to winning the title in 2008 though, remember?

I do agree with you though, and I can't imagine that he will still be there next season. But is he really that bad, or is it just that Alonso is so much better that he makes him look like a slouch?

He came oh-so-close to winning the title in 2008 though, remember?

I do agree with you though, and I can't imagine that he will still be there next season. But is he really that bad, or is it just that Alonso is so much better that he makes him look like a slouch?

Personally, I think he's lost it. Losing the championship to lewis, on the final lap at interlagos, he hasn't been the same since... perhaps a statement of his character, whereas look how well Alonso came on after Monza last year... Different characters. As much as I hate Alonso, he's got that fighting spirit that makes a great F1 driver, even if he's not in a great car, he's still awesome to watch, first corner at Barcelona was epic.