Why we start the season so badly....

alpine_saint

Nope, I'll give you permission to moan about lack of signings in mid July. July 15th to be exact. ;)

Until then, we should just wait and see what happens...

10 aug signed lambert - he did ok'ish that season

I think people need to start trusting Cortese a bit more. We know how he likes to conduct things privately and professionally. I wouldn't be surprised if a few signings are all but done and we'll have two or three players confirmed in the first week of July. I still think Cork is likely to sign when he returns from Denmark.

Anyone remember the glorious start to the 1998/99 season? No? Well we lost the first five and didn't win any in the first 12. Guess when we did our transfers that summer. that's right early. David Howells came in on 14th June, Stuart Ripley 6th July, Mark Paul, 9th July, James Beattie 10th July, Mark Hughes 11th July and Skate Hiley on the 21st August. Getting players in early to forge a settled squad really helped that season didn't it.

Ah, ye olde 'exception that disproves the rule' ploy.... ;-)

Here ya go Alps...help you sleep better:

FootballAgent46 Football Agent

was right about calm from the storm. Could do 1 prem deal and 2 champ deals now next week.We shall see. Need to get stuck into some ceo's

Subtitles? :-)

Ok...let's cut to the chase.....Does anyone disagree with this statement:

"Ideally, it would be good to have all the new players Adkins has identified that he needs to improve the squad signed and sealed before the start of pre-season training"

?

• 11 months later...
Lets take a wee look back a previous seasons, where I said the same thing and the same people made the same sneering remarks....

We started in 2008 with no recognisable experienced CBs against Crystal Palace

We started in 2010 with a crippled squad and a totally disinterested manager

And those are the first 2 that come to mind....

Our belated activity in 2009 was, of course, understandable..

2010 - we had four points after three games and sat 7th. Which would do me next season thanks - especially if the first three fixtures were United, Citeh and Chelsea away.

(What were our first three results last season Alpine, remind me, my mind has turned to mush reading all the bu ll sh it on here about Jay Rod. When frankly I think we have more chance of signing Rod fecking Stewart this week...)

Absolutely brilliant. He starts this thread prior to one of Saints' best starts ever in a league campaign. Kind of sums it up really.

For the record: we signed Jack Cork on 11th July, Steve de Ridder on 22nd July, Danny Fox on 11th August and Jos Hooiveld on 31st August.

Absolutely brilliant. He starts this thread prior to one of Saints' best starts ever in a league campaign. Kind of sums it up really.

For the record: we signed Jack Cork on 11th July, Steve de Ridder on 22nd July, Danny Fox on 11th August and Jos Hooiveld on 31st August.

Very sad...

I have to say I am really enjoying the close season, after the last 2 fantastic season we have had. I am really not missing it at all and enjoying the break from the stress of the run in. Still overjoyed by our success.

I think the club and the team are still doing the same. You will see more premier league activity after the euros are over.

May I suggest that some of you guys switch off for a little bit during th close season.

I have no doubt we will be fine next season, and we will sign players required to equip ourselves well in the top flight.

In Nigel I trust!

Now I wall not start taking notice until mid July at the activity.

• 1 year later...
Well, there must be a reason why we have only won one opening game in the last quarter of a century - if it is not because new players aren't given enough time to gel what else could it be? I do think our friendlies games are a bit too low key and we hardly have more than one pre season game at home. Obviously last season had something to do with the fact that Pardew knew he was a dead man walking and had lost interest, but even in settled years we started poorly.

Thanks for dredging this up. I've gone through the first page and have been reassured by the fact that I am clearly not alone in thinking we do everything too late in the summer.

Thanks for dredging this up. I've gone through the first page and have been reassured by the fact that I am clearly not alone in thinking we do everything too late in the summer.

Why does that "reassure you"? You were badly wrong about the 2011/12 season and so was anyone on the first page that agreed with you!

What about when Saints won 6 of their opening 7 league games of the 2011/12 season?

Or being in the top 2 for the entire 2011/12 Championship season as a newly promoted club and being promoted to the Premier League despite only signing Fox, De Ridder and Cork in the summer?

Edited by Matthew Le God

even the monster raving loney party had people that agreed with them - dosent make them party to be with though

What about when Saints won 6 of their opening 7 league games of the 2011/12 season?

Or being in the top 2 for the entire 2011/12 Championship season as a newly promoted club?

2011/12 was an anomaly, where we did most of buying in 2009 or 2010 for TWO seasons. Pardew even said that was the plan. We did just enough last summer to keep our noses up for next season, but I think we could have been 3 or 4 places higher if we had been more proactive and sensible last summer.

Dear Future Lighthouse,

Did you get that job you applied for in Norway or are you still stuck in Bristol? I hope you have moved out of that crappy 1 bedroom flat if nothing else, the kitchen is sh*t and the drains in the bathroom stink. Also if you are still driving that f**king Kia get rid of it!

Hope you are well (and the wife and kids on the off chance they might have appeared in the last year)

Best Regards

Present (now past) Lighthouse

I don't understand why for countless years you think you know more about running a football club than those actually doing it. This isn't about SFC, it's every club out there. They all want their signings as early as possible, but business isn't that simple. Your argument just comes across as a child screaming because he can't have what he wants RIGHT NOW. The only difference? The child eventually grows up.

+ 1, I look forward to alpine's response

You can always say that. If we'd bought better we'd be higher. It's a non point. Unless you have accurate information the rest don't about our workings as a club, then you have nothing to say.

As for the 'anomaly', you're talking about different owners, managers, squads and leagues. Any patterns are completely redundant unless there's some constant that's involved in the process. Unless you can grasp that, again, you have nothing to say.

What a load of garbage. You really are slipping.

My first point is not a "non-point". In the eyes of many our transfer strategy last summer was "running before we can walk". We got in the likes of Mayuka and Ramirez when we should have been focussed on central defence. If we had made the right purchases with the right priorities, we wouldnt have had that bloody awful start to the season.

And your second point is non-sensical. We didnt need to do a lot of transfers to step up for the NPC because the players were in place from the previous season to compete at that level. Last season when we stepped up to the PL was exactly like when Lowe was in charge of teams finishing 17th, leaving everything late when the team was screaming out for an infusion of new talent to be able to compete and because of that needing time to gell (I hate that word thanks to Burley)

I am sure you am. My response is simple : "Business isnt that simple" is a cop-out.

Then why when people present a clear and exact reasoning for why things 'are not that simple' do you simply ignore it? Like your whining and belief that fixtures are being organised at the last minute, as you put it, "Too late," I presented this:

Fixture organisation is not a simple process, it involves two clubs coming together and mutually agreeing a time. Our pre-season fixtures in the past have been published en mass before the start of a season, this would indicate a large amount of pre-planning to ensure that any tour, or other pre-season plan (bringing in 3+ teams for the Markus Leibherr cup for instance) has occured beforehand. It is not a simple quastion of saying, 'Oi, you turn up here,' it needs to be done carefully, professionally and methodically, often taking in the needs and requirements of many other parties. Consulting chaiman, managers and coaches. Ensuring that other teams' plans can fit with our own desires.

Because YOU cannot see this process happening you assume that it is in fact rushed, unplanned and poorly run. This, again, like everything else related to your baseless points is based on your insecurities on not being able to see everything. It is not based on any type of fact or consideration.

You are quite simply wrong.

Oddly you refused to respond.

What a load of garbage. You really are slipping.

My first point is not a "non-point". In the eyes of many our transfer strategy last summer was "running before we can walk". We got in the likes of Mayuka and Ramirez when we should have been focussed on central defence. If we had made the right purchases with the right priorities, we wouldnt have had that bloody awful start to the season.

And your second point is non-sensical. We didnt need to do a lot of transfers to step up for the NPC because the players were in place from the previous season to compete at that level. Last season when we stepped up to the PL was exactly like when Lowe was in charge of teams finishing 17th, leaving everything late when the team was screaming out for an infusion of new talent to be able to compete and because of that needing time to gell (I hate that word thanks to Burley)

I assume that was your view at the time?