The Quisling

Weston Super Saint

Should we refrain from using such terms as 'The Quisling'??

Isn't it on a par with Scooby's performance art and 'Insect Crouch'?

Is it on a par? One makes behavioural comparisons with the actions of a renowned traitor and the other compares to a lower life form. Quisling, Judas, traitor, others along that vein are surely fair comment, although obviously exaggerated for effect, whereas insect, rat, c*ckroach or other equivalents are surely quite different.

I think it's worse. Bringing Nazi references into arguments about a football club seems perverse - and something only Sundance used to stoop to. (Where is he, by the way?)

I think it's worse. Bringing Nazi references into arguments about a football club seems perverse - and something only Sundance used to stoop to. (Where is he, by the way?)

The Nazi connection is purely a matter of historic coincidence, but a bit more recent history than Judas. There haven't been that many individuals historically whose actions have become a byword in the language for traitorous behaviour. If you'd care to mention others without Nazi connections, then please do and I'll happily change.

The Nazi connection is purely a matter of historic coincidence, but a bit more recent history than Judas. There haven't been that many individuals historically whose actions have become a byword in the language for traitorous behaviour. If you'd care to mention others without Nazi connections, then please do and I'll happily change.

Easy. Michael Wilde. That's bad enough surely.

You are getting very muddled - 'Quisling' is not historic COINCIDENCE - it is the name of the actual man who collaborated with the Nazis, but his name has now become a noun in common usage that does not necessarily refer to, or imply, a Nazi.

QUOTE: "Is it on a par? One makes behavioural comparisons with the actions of a renowned traitor and the other compares to a lower life form. Quisling, Judas, traitor, others along that vein are surely fair comment, although obviously exaggerated for effect, whereas insect, rat, c*ckroach or other equivalents are surely quite different." QUOTE

And, yes, it is on a par - it means 'on a similar level as', not 'similar to'.

I actually included that in my epilogue just posted. I think we should do a top ten of TSW adjectives and phrases (most of the crap ones emanate from Scooby and Somedunce...

"Quisling"

"Cabal" (Um Pahars fave)

"Insect"

"Golden Duo"

"Flat cap"

"Imbecile(s)"

"Failure"

Answers on a postcard please...

I actually included that in my epilogue just posted. I think we should do a top ten of TSW adjectives and phrases (most of the crap ones emanate from Scooby and Somedunce...

"Quisling"

"Cabal" (Um Pahars fave)

"Insect"

"Golden Duo"

"Flat cap"

"Imbecile(s)"

"Failure"

Answers on a postcard please...

You missed 'Bootboy', you insect. And the various epithets for Lawrie and Mary. Didn't tommac have some special words emanating from his Ed Wood-like mind as well?

I'd rather everyone just used people's names. It all seems a bit childish to me.

I love a good bit of English Language. It's what enriches our culture and language. "Quisling" is good use of our language, as is the manner in which our current board (Wilde, Lowe, you decide) have, and continue to, prevaricate!

You are getting very muddled - 'Quisling' is not historic COINCIDENCE - it is the name of the actual man who collaborated with the Nazis, but his name has now become a noun in common usage that does not necessarily refer to, or imply, a Nazi.

QUOTE: "Is it on a par? One makes behavioural comparisons with the actions of a renowned traitor and the other compares to a lower life form. Quisling, Judas, traitor, others along that vein are surely fair comment, although obviously exaggerated for effect, whereas insect, rat, c*ckroach or other equivalents are surely quite different." QUOTE

And, yes, it is on a par - it means 'on a similar level as', not 'similar to'.

I'm not getting muddled at all and being as far as I'm aware the person who originally came up with the Quisling epithet, of course I knew of its historical origins. As you rightly say, because of his notoriety as one of the worst traitors, the use of his name has become common currency in usage, much as Judas has. When I said that it was purely historical coincidence that he was infamous for his connection with the Nazis, I meant that I did not raise his name to provoke that connection, anymore than I could be accused of being a religious fanatic if I called him a Judas.

And thank you for telling me what I already comprehended to be the meaning of on a par too. But I disagree that the two things being discussed are on a par. i.e. not on a similar level.

I'm not getting muddled at all and being as far as I'm aware the person who originally came up with the Quisling epithet, of course I knew of its historical origins. As you rightly say, because of his notoriety as one of the worst traitors, the use of his name has become common currency in usage, much as Judas has. When I said that it was purely historical coincidence that he was infamous for his connection with the Nazis, I meant that I did not raise his name to provoke that connection, anymore than I could be accused of being a religious fanatic if I called him a Judas.

And thank you for telling me what I already comprehended to be the meaning of on a par too. But I disagree that the two things being discussed are on a par. i.e. not on a similar level.

We fall out over the funniest things. Anyway, long story short, I think we've learned that Quisling is fine for those that wish to go there. "Wilde' is still a better insult for me but each to his own...

And what DID happen to that Sundance fellow?

We fall out over the funniest things. Anyway, long story short, I think we've learned that Quisling is fine for those that wish to go there. "Wilde' is still a better insult for me but each to his own...

And what DID happen to that Sundance fellow?

Banned.

I agree, prefer Lap Dog or Poodle myself. Quisling seems to be too grand a term for one of such insignificance.

It is no wonder no one wants to become chairman with all the rude posters on here.

I cannot see anyone else wanting the job when the fans start abusing when things go wrong

It needs more thinking about than I have time for, but looks like I probably owe you an apology - so please accept one!

True, grand wasn't quite the word I was looking for, I just don't think Wilde warrants a name such as that, although descriptively it is quite apt.
Correct me if I am wrong but surely that is a contradictionPersonally I feel that Quisling is much to friendly with regards to Wilde