'Bubble' Match v Portsmouth

FSF

I'm Amanda Jacks and I work full time as a case worker for the FSF.

I am carrying out research into the impact on supporters when police & clubs impose 'bubble' matches and would be keen to hear directly by email from any Saints fans with their opinions - either way! - on the arrangements for this game. I'm particularly keen to hear from those who will be especially inconvenienced.

Please contact me at amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk if you're interested in assisting in our research. Your details will not be shared with anybody.

Amanda, my biggest gripe is that SFC will not post out coach passes. This means that fans who don't live locally have spend a fortune in fuel to collect coach passes. SFC are however charging a booking fee which covers p+p for normal games. The club are also raking it in charging 12 pounds per person for transport. The whole scheme is an inconvenience and a rip off.

My gripe is not being able to drink alcohol on route / before the game and being without any for yonks after getting on the coach.

This means I'm going to have to get drunk before getting on the coach and by the time get in the ground will probably be sober again.

Oh and the club also charge for parking at St Marys now too.

There is no way they will scrap such a money making scheme. It's here for good now.

There is no charge for parking for 30 minutes to pick up a ticket. Furthermore, there is often a space or two just across the road where you can park for longer for free. Or did you want to park there all day for free whilst working in town all day, or during the match? On match days, I park a five minute walk away for free. What exactly is your problem?

My gripe is not being able to drink alcohol on route / before the game and being without any for yonks after getting on the coach.

This means I'm going to have to get drunk before getting on the coach and by the time get in the ground will probably be sober again.

Take a bottle of coke ready mixed with your favourite spirit.

There is no charge for parking for 30 minutes to pick up a ticket. Furthermore, there is often a space or two just across the road where you can park for longer for free. Or did you want to park there all day for free whilst working in town all day, or during the match? On match days, I park a five minute walk away for free. What exactly is your problem?

Really Wes. That's so interesting.

he means that those that are going to skate game at **** park will have to pay for parking at SMS on top of the £12 coach fee, whereas before car parkign fees were brought in, those that travelled by coach to away games could park their car for free. My guess is that those one or spaces you mention might be hard to get when there are several thousand Saints fans needing to catch the `bubble' coach from SMS.

he means that those that are going to skate game at **** park will have to pay for parking at SMS on top of the £12 coach fee, whereas before car parkign fees were brought in, those that travelled by coach to away games could park their car for free. My guess is that those one or spaces you mention might be hard to get when there are several thousand Saints fans needing to catch the `bubble' coach from SMS.

Thanks. I couldn't be arsed to reply to him as the point I was making (about the rip off culture of our club) was obvious to all but a complete div.

why on earth will they not post the bloody coach tickets? Is that part of the typical `bubble' regulations? Amanda can you comment on that?

According to a SFC supervisor this was agreed between the police and the club. I want to know whether it was a police stipulation though and if so on what grounds. I *suspect* it's just the club saving on costs despite raking in booking fee's.

According to a SFC supervisor this was agreed between the police and the club. I want to know whether it was a police stipulation though and if so on what grounds. I *suspect* it's just the club saving on costs despite raking in booking fee's.

sounds like an excuse that could be used to get away with almost anything: `agreed between police and the club'. I, like you, fail to understand the logic to this as there is absolutely no reason why the bus ticket could not be given to a different person after it has been collected. Is there a possibility of us paying for registered post, as for many it would be cheaper than driving to SMS.

Thanks for the comments. I would though really appreciate them by email as it makes it easier to manage rather than cutting and pasting accounts from the forum.

And drinking alcohol on coaches to football is illegal!

Amanda

Thanks for the comments. I would though really appreciate them by email as it makes it easier to manage rather than cutting and pasting accounts from the forum.

Amanda

Yes, but it probably the most stupid dumb r-sed law in the land. First off, most people on the official coaches are geriatrics whose idea of a p!ss up is half a glass of sweet sherry before sunday lunch. Second, there is no corresponding law stopping proper lager louts (like me) from sinking 18 pints on the train or in a private car (so long as not driving, obviously). Then there is the small matter of the fact that most games people just get off the frickin coach and roll into a pub.

15 mins now Wes

Thanks. I couldn't be arsed to reply to him as the point I was making (about the rip off culture of our club) was obvious to all but a complete div.

But apparently the point that I made was also obvious to all but a complete div too. But I'll explain it for the benefit of any who didn't understand it. Many fans manage to find a parking place for free within a short walk of the ground on match days. If it is a matter of finding somewhere to park near to the pick-up from the stadium for the duration of the Skate match, then as I already said, the problem is not a big one, except for those who like to whine about petty things. If Dune feels that the stadium parking should be open and free on that day, then I'm sure that lots of people who are not Saints fans will be delighted to utilise it also.

Dune, it would be easier for you to be picked up at Winchester anyway and parking is free, thus solving that gripe.

However, you are bang on regarding the coach tickets and the booking fee.

Was considering that. Would it be the main bus station where national express stop?

I just mentioned the car park along with the main problems, but Wes is just boring us rigid with his explanation of the obvious.

Actually, it occurs to me that parking on a single yellow line is free on the Industrial Estate adjacent to the stadium on a non home matchday, so the argument about the car park charges on that day is pointless anyway.

With 50 odd coach loads you just know the pigs will go cone happy.

Amanda

Easier??? Were doing you a favour ere love.

Easier??? Were doing you a favour ere love.

Wellsaid. A few years ago she'd have had to wash clothes down at the stream and mangle them. There was no vacum cleaner just a broom and pan. Irons needed heating on the fire she'd have to make, and she'd have to skin a rabbit for her mans supper. Women have never had it so easy FFS.

My biggest gripe is the Old bill. At the last game they were loving the attention, almost desperate for it to kick off. They made a documentry about it, had a film crew following them round of the day and practically created a flash point by letting both set of fans out at the same time. We then had the self congratulations and back slapping at Banging up a few fall guys and get a few easy stats on their figures who got a year in jail for little more than shouting and rattling fences. Meanwhile justifying their clueless tactics and doing what every other police force in the country does at derby games by saying it was breach of human rights to keep the away fans in.

Fast forward 20 months or so and it now not a breach of human rights to tell fans they can only travel to the game by the w

ay they have decided and if they don't like it tough sh*t. Only at football would they get away with it.

Edited by Turkish

My biggest gripe is the Old bill. At the last game they were loving the attention, almost desperate for it to kick off. They made a documentry about it, had a film crew following them round of the day and practically created a flash point by letting both set of fans out at the same time. We then had the self congratulations and back slapping at Banging up a few fall guys and get a few easy stats on their figures who got a year in jail for little more than shouting and rattling fences. Meanwhile justifying their clueless tactics and doing what every other police force in the country does at derby games by saying it was breach of human rights to keep the away fans in.

Fast forward 20 months or so and it now not a breach of human rights to tell fans they can only travel to the game by the w

ay yet have decided and if they don't like it tough sh*t. Only at football would they get away with it.

Excellent post.

ay yet have decided and if they don't like it tough sh*t. Only at football would they get away with it.

do not always agree with you BUT do about this, Human Rights and football fans have never gone together except whrn it suits OB

That is a bloody good point!

ay they have decided and if they don't like it tough sh*t. Only at football would they get away with it.

2010: Hampshire OB state they cannot keep fans inside a modern football stadium for half an hour or so after as it would breach their human rights.

2011: Hampshire OB state Saints fans can only travel at a certain time on designated transport under strict conditions. The fans will no doubt be held inside their sh*thole of a ground not only after before more than likely for an hour at least BEFORE.

What changed so much in a year that was any worse than when they smashed up their own town a number of years back and no restrictions were put on them travelling?

Having said that, none of this will keep me away, I'll put up with a sh*t day off the pitch for that opportnity for a little payback time.

Do the ticket office staff still read this forum? If so would one of them please give me a valid reason why its OK to charge a booking fee for a ticket that can only be collected? Surely this is breaking their own rules they set out in the first place!

Do the ticket office staff still read this forum? If so would one of them please give me a valid reason why its OK to charge a booking fee for a ticket that can only be collected? Surely this is breaking their own rules they set out in the first place!
you do realise we're winning football games and that means complaints about ripping off fans is currently not allowed, please wait until this wonderful upturn starts to waiver. By the way complaints can be made via a form here http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/SupporterServices

Have to laugh at the 2011-12 fans charter containing an advert for corporate packages. What a waste of space this document is and how many key items in the original charter no longer appear?

Or maybe learn from their mistakes...............

That's fine but there was a post on here a while back which detailed the response from a senior policeman explaining their approach - the gist of which was that it was unfair to keep away fans in the ground after a match - I'm not sure but "human rights" may have been mentioned. I was at the last two matches we played at their excuse for a stadium and there wasn't any trouble outside the ground involving Saints supporters. The need for a bubble for Saints fans is highly questionable.

It's ridiculous, last time we played there I walked to the game (not in colours) and slipped through the cordon into the away end with no problem. Police change the rules when it suits them.

Me too. The last time I went there I was an inconspicuous old git in plain colours. I could have walked out at full time and slipped away quietly but I was made to wait behind and when I was eventually released from police custody it was bleeding obvious that I was one of the Saints' lot.

x x x

Me too. The last time I went there I was an inconspicuous old git in plain colours. I could have walked out at full time and slipped away quietly but I was made to wait behind and when I was eventually released from police custody it was bleeding obvious that I was one of the Saints' lot.

This is precisely why i'm against holding fans back. The coach system is the best system, but it's been organised so badly (no postal delivery of coach passes) and it has been jumped on by the club to rip off fans (booking fee despite no delivery/coaches run for a tidy profit/charging to park at SMS). If the club/police had been a bit more reasonable and less keen to milk this whole thing i'm sure a lot more people would have been accepting of it.

I'm Amanda Jacks and I work full time as a case worker for the FSF.

I am carrying out research into the impact on supporters when police & clubs impose 'bubble' matches and would be keen to hear directly by email from any Saints fans with their opinions - either way! - on the arrangements for this game. I'm particularly keen to hear from those who will be especially inconvenienced.

Hi Amanda,

I'm incredibly fortunate in that my local pub is frequented by a handful of some of the biggest dregs society has to offer, seriously - these mongs wouldn't even be passed fit for Jeremy Kyle!

I've decided to use their horrendous life problems to my advantage, I've used a small % of my way above average salary to y them with booze and fags before reaching an agreement they will take my (a d 3 other) places on the coach, allowing us to get up to whatever we want in Pompey before dressing up as St johns ambulance men to slop through the cordon and take our tickets off them before they inenevitibly get arrested for any one of many potential offences. No doubt there will be a fair few complaints about their on board behaviour as they are complete wronguns with no concept of right or wring despite their advanced years (one of them, "mad maggie" is a 38 year old ex biker that I swear looks not a day younger than 65 due to a relentless meth addiction).

After the event I will send you a timeline of the says events so future bubble matches can use my instructions to bypass the law.

"I am Southampton, I'll do what I want"!