Maybe An Indicator Of Progress

TijuanaTim

Interesting point.

For all the talk of experience and 'wise heads' being the definitive answer to succeeding in this league, the games against Preston and Sheff Wed were sharp exceptions to that rule.

Team against Preston: (1-5)

Davis, Ostlund, Dailly, Thomas, Ifil, Surman, Viafara, Safri, Dyer, Saganowski, Rasiak

Team against Sheff Wed: (0-5)

Davis, Andrew Davies, Dailly, Thomas, Skacel, Surman, Viafara, Safri, Euell, Saganowski, John

Tons of experience there, but amounting to sound thrashings both times. Perhaps this Championship business isn't as easy as first thought.

Interesting point.

For all the talk of experience and 'wise heads' being the definitive answer to succeeding in this league, the games against Preston and Sheff Wed were sharp exceptions to that rule.

I don't think anyone has ever come up with a definitive answer/ guaranteed way of succeeding in this league.

At best I think people have arued for a good mix of youth and experience (along with a decent manager).

Team against Preston: (1-5)

Davis, Ostlund, Dailly, Thomas, Ifil, Surman, Viafara, Safri, Dyer, Saganowski, Rasiak

Team against Sheff Wed: (0-5)

Davis, Andrew Davies, Dailly, Thomas, Skacel, Surman, Viafara, Safri, Euell, Saganowski, John

Tons of experience there, but amounting to sound thrashings both times. Perhaps this Championship business isn't as easy as first thought.

On paper, both of those sides look very strong and certainly shouldn't have crumbled the way they did.

Something was very wrong back then at the start of that season (and I think Burley was the main reason) as from memory we alternated from these drubbings, to beating the likes of West Brom at home and Sheff Utd away in the same period!!!!!

2 reasons for those drubbings...GB and KD

thank god scotland took GB off our hands and at last KD has his confidence back and is twice the keeper he was back then. No doubt he will be the next to be loaned out...

Would have agreed, especially about Burley. But then again we also lost 5-0 away to Hull when neither GB "managed" or KD played, and again only had 3 youngsters (Poke, Vignal and McG).

Would have agreed, especially about Burley. But then again we also lost 5-0 away to Hull when neither GB "managed" or KD played, and again only had 3 youngsters (Poke, Vignal and McG).

To be fair to NP, Poke only came in just before ko (or was it even him that was injured and played?) and Hull were right in the middle of their current form that's extended into this season. Plus they might have felt they owed us one for the 4-0 at SMS?

2 reasons for those drubbings...GB and KD

thank god scotland took GB off our hands and at last KD has his confidence back and is twice the keeper he was back then. No doubt he will be the next to be loaned out...

I dread to think what will happen to us without KD, and I wonder what the reaction will be.......

To be fair to NP, Poke only came in just before ko (or was it even him that was injured and played?) and Hull were right in the middle of their current form that's extended into this season. Plus they might have felt they owed us one for the 4-0 at SMS?

I'm sure that was the game that he got injured in the warm up and still played (did we have a keeper on the bench as I thought we were right out of them at that point!!!!!).

Yes. KD and Bart were out, and third-choice Poke played while injured. Reasonable excuse for NP's only tonking as manager.

So conceiveably we could go up there - lose by 4, but still claim some level of success. My how we have fallen.

The very thought that we are trying to guage progress by comparison of a single game played in different seasons is somewhat futile. The bottom line is the league table - it does not lie, not now and especially not at the end of the season.

Remember that '4 team mini league' - lets just hope that we win it.

We play PNE this weekend, we were royally shafted with no lube up there this time last year. They easily knocked in 5 and even missed a peno.

We had numerous better paid journeymen...let's see what the nippers do.

Get behind those boys!!

Not really relevant, seeing as Carter scored the rebound from the saved penalty.

We play PNE this weekend, we were royally shafted with no lube up there this time last year. They easily knocked in 5 and even missed a peno.

We had numerous better paid journeymen...let's see what the nippers do.

Get behind those boys!!

OK, Fair enough .... any loss up to 4-0 must therefore be classed as "progress"

Not really, a nice win/draw or a decent performance will work tho' huh?

People aren't really looking for progress though, people are looking for more evidence that things are getting worse and it's 'the worst thing that could ever happen EVER... oh noes....' TM

Any kind of result would represent progress on last season, yes.

I must say it's amusing to read Alpine talking KD up these days, if it'd been up to him we'd have given him away for peanuts last season and be in a right state currently.

Personally if we finish the season a place or two higher than last season then it's job done as far as I'm concerned, I suspect other people are yet to manage their expectations down to a 'realistic' level yet (some seem to have their expectations still set a 'prem' which probably explains some of the 'angst').

Is Alpine still stalking Burley these days? Or has he got over his obsession?

Any kind of result would represent progress on last season, yes.

Personally if we finish the season a place or two higher than last season then it's job done as far as I'm concerned, I suspect other people are yet to manage their expectations down to a 'realistic' level yet

This is true Kevin.

It is good to have a healthy prospective, I believe and have believed from the start of the season 16th would be a feasible and good finish for us currently. Then we take stock, use the extra experienced our young, talented group have acquired and push on.

This is true Kevin.

It is good to have a healthy prospective, I believe and have believed from the start of the season 16th would be a feasible and good finish for us currently. Then we take stock, use the extra experienced our young, talented group have acquired and push on.

Unfortunatley these will be sold for revenue in January on the back of the

"we have no money issue" yet we continue to take players on loan......:confused:

Don't give up Dorset: I still go to team training twice a week, occasional stuff on my own, plus the skiing season starts soon and I'm 53! I've only played friendlies but when my official clearance comes through I have to admit that I'd prefer to start on the bench and come on as an impact player. Impact player as I'm big and strong, especially compared with most Italian women, and er.... clumsy and no technique! :-)

Let's forget Preston for a moment though; weaker maybe, but I think _we_ have made progress.