Booing of National Anthem at Cup Final

spyinthesky

There's one right above you, Dune...

Also, you don't believe in the Queen? You do understand she is actually real? There is quite significant evidence to suggest she does exist...

Sorry, I'd provide a longer response but am currently in the midst of throwing out every piece of comedy I own after seeing your unassailable quip.

Boris summed them up perfectly: people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

Having read both the artical and the comments section, all I can say is that I am glad that I don't get out too often anymore. There are some real sad people about.

Boris summed them up perfectly: people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

When you have to employ stuff that Boris "Liverpool apology" Johnson said to prove a point, you are truly lost.

How big was this scouser that filled you in, dune? What was her name?

Edited by pap

When you have to employ stuff that Boris said to prove a point, you are truly lost.

How big was this scouser that filled you in, dune? What was her name?

Pap I can understand your defence of them given that you've bred with one, but they haven't picked their reputation for no reason. They have earnt it!

Pap I can understand your defence of them given that you've bred with one, but they haven't picked their reputation for no reason. They have earnt it!

And there was me thinking Scousitis was communicated through the air within the city boundaries, when all along it was sexually transmittable.

What I'm having difficulty with is why they bother you so much.

Apart from the aforementioned "dune got beat up by a scouser" theory, my only other working hypothesis is that you get so angry after leaving the bathroom each morning that you just have to exorcise your self-loathing by going for an easy target.

Am I close?

Apart from the aforementioned "dune got beat up by a scouser" theory, my only other working hypothesis is that you get so angry after leaving the bathroom each morning that you just have to exorcise your self-loathing by going for an easy target.

Am I close?

Scousers arent only an easy target; they virtually paint the bloody crosshairs on their forehead with their incessant whining.

Am I close?

No, I just don't like them. The whole blame culture up there grates with me. Instead of getting on with it they wallow in self pity.

No, I just don't like them. The whole blame culture up there grates with me. Instead of getting on with it they wallow in self pity.

Well, they say that the trick to liking anyone is liking yourself first. Any chance of that happening with you, ever?

Am I close?

There are other reasons to dislike something, other than being assaulted by it.

I dislike traffic, yet I've never been run over. I dislike it when Saints lose yet I've never been beaten up by a Saints player or fan. I dislike Cauliflower but I've never been beaten up by a farmer. I dislike the French but I've never been beaten up (CS gassed but not beaten up!) by a Frenchman.

Just to add to this glorious debate about how you aren't allowed to dislike Scousers unless you are related/married/breeding with one (obviously if all three, even better)...

Almost all of my Dad's side of the family is from Liverpool and I have to agree with the arguement that they wallow in self pity. It's a Catholic Guilt thing, something brought over with the huge Irish immigration (without which, I wouldn't be here I might add). I can understand the raw emotions regarding Hillsborough, no amount of time will ever heal all the wounds of those who lost someone that day, I do believe that the City and the club will move on once all the documents are released though.

What does really annoy me are the Liverpool fans who have no connection with that day, other than being Liverpool fans! I had a massive disagreement with a good friend (who wasn't even born when Hillsborough happened) regarding playing on the date. He said no-one outside Liverpool understands etc etc, I simply reminded him that he was born in Coventry and he supports them because they were winning trophies when he was young! I coul have very easily been a Liverpool fan, most of my family support them and when I was 6/7 and getting into football they were still the best in the country.

To boo the National Anthem isn't the worst thing in the world, but to try and defend it by bringing out some S*** about the government and Hillsborough etc is more disrespectful than a couple of idiots shouting during a minutes silence.

Just to add to this glorious debate about how you aren't allowed to dislike Scousers unless you are related/married/breeding with one (obviously if all three, even better)...

Almost all of my Dad's side of the family is from Liverpool and I have to agree with the arguement that they wallow in self pity. It's a Catholic Guilt thing, something brought over with the huge Irish immigration (without which, I wouldn't be here I might add). I can understand the raw emotions regarding Hillsborough, no amount of time will ever heal all the wounds of those who lost someone that day, I do believe that the City and the club will move on once all the documents are released though.

What does really annoy me are the Liverpool fans who have no connection with that day, other than being Liverpool fans! I had a massive disagreement with a good friend (who wasn't even born when Hillsborough happened) regarding playing on the date. He said no-one outside Liverpool understands etc etc, I simply reminded him that he was born in Coventry and he supports them because they were winning trophies when he was young! I coul have very easily been a Liverpool fan, most of my family support them and when I was 6/7 and getting into football they were still the best in the country.

To boo the National Anthem isn't the worst thing in the world, but to try and defend it by bringing out some S*** about the government and Hillsborough etc is more disrespectful than a couple of idiots shouting during a minutes silence.

I live and work in Liverpool and have been here since 1994. As a consequence, I've probably come into many more Liverpudlians than yourself, enough to be able dismiss your blanket claim that all scousers wallow in self-pity. I appreciate that your father's family may be a family of whiners, but last time I checked, we had a population of around half a million here. You're scaling up your own limited experience to prove a point, and doing it rather badly.

Good post.

You'd better hope your Mrs doesn't read that or you could be hounded out of your beloved Liverpool.

Hehe. Missing words can be quite amusing.

I'm tempted to 'correct' that, but no - it shall stand :D

I can't stand scourers in general

they live on Planet Liverpool...most of the ones I know think little exists outside liverpool and it is such a utopia of great living and culture

I think you'd know a lot actually, TDD - given the disproportionately high number of Liverpudlians who choose to serve their country. See also the Welsh and Scots for that.

I think you'd know a lot actually, TDD - given the disproportionately high number of Liverpudlians who choose to serve their country. See also the Welsh and Scots for that.

I know a few...I would not say its more scousers...deffo more northern people in the forces.

still, they all come from "planet liverpool"

I know a few...I would not say its more scousers...deffo more northern people in the forces.

still, they all come from "planet liverpool"

I'm not entirely in disagreement about "Planet Liverpool". I have long maintained that this place doesn't sit comfortably in England. I think the main problem that people have with Liverpudlians is that in pretty much every respect, they're prepared to stick two fingers up to the rest of the country.

Weird that. It's one of the things I like best about 'em.

I'm not entirely in disagreement about "Planet Liverpool". I have long maintained that this place doesn't sit comfortably in England. I think the main problem that people have with Liverpudlians is that in pretty much every respect, they're prepared to stick two fingers up to the rest of the country.

Pap, can you explain why they were booing?

I remember them booing the national anthem back in the eighties but not in recent years.

I like people from Liverpool, having worked abroad with dozens of them. The ones I know are loyal, hard working, funny and very generous people. I have stayed with their families before Saints games, and their hospitality has been unbelievable. I certainly dont recongnise the picture of them some of our posters have painted on here. If 96 Saints fans had died as a result of incompetance, if we had suffered 20 years of cover up and false accusations about that day, I'm pretty sure we'd be pretty bitter about it. FFS people moan about a £3 sales charge like it's the end of the world.It seems like we can moan about "ticket tax", people dressing up, and people singing OWTS too quickly, yet they complain about the death of their brothers, sisters, Dads and fellow supporters and they're told to stop being victims.

As for the National Anthem, I refuse to sing it. It's a dirge, that has had it's day. I refuse to sing about some old dear that "reins over me" on the basis that her family maimed and killed our forefathers.

Pap, can you explain why they were booing?

I remember them booing the national anthem back in the eighties but not in recent years.

I don't think that there are any recent events which you can point to which would "explain" the booing. Honestly, you'd have to ask the fans concerned to get a proper answer about the specifics of the day.

Nationalist sentiment doesn't run too deep here, though. In the recent mayoral election, the BNP, NF, English Democrats, UKIP and Conservatives combined got less than 10% of the vote.

The main thing that the non-Liverpudlians seem to have a problem with is the fact that someone would even have the audacity to boo the national anthem.

I don't think that there are any recent events which you can point to which would "explain" the booing. Honestly, you'd have to ask the fans concerned to get a proper answer about the specifics of the day.

Nationalist sentiment doesn't run too deep here, though. In the recent mayoral election, the BNP, NF, English Democrats, UKIP and Conservatives combined got less than 10% of the vote.

The main thing that the non-Liverpudlians seem to have a problem with is the fact that someone would even have the audacity to boo the national anthem.

And that is understandable, personally I thought the booing was terrible. This, and the whole Suarez affair has I think re-kindled an antipathy towards Liverpool, but I guess that's how many (not all) Liverpudlians like it.

I refuse to sing about some old dear that "reins over me" on the basis that her family maimed and killed our forefathers.

It was even more random than that. Queen Anne died childless so her German second cousin got gifted the throne.

And that is understandable, personally I thought the booing was terrible. This, and the whole Suarez affair has I think re-kindled an antipathy towards Liverpool, but I guess that's how many (not all) Liverpudlians like it.

Of course they love it. It's another injustice in their miserable and self pitying lives that they can play the victim card over.

If they've got a good, worthwhile reason to stick two fingers up at the "establishment" then good on them. Unfortunately, with stuff like this they come over bitter, humourless, with a chip on their shoulder and none of the terrace/street cool they like to think is synonymous with their city and footballing support.

Completely agree on the Suarez front - and so do most Liverpool fans, including the missus. An absolute embarrassment.

That said, there's a big difference between Liverpool FC and the city itself. For a start, there's a whole other Premiership football club here. No-one seems to moan about Everton fans, even though a large proportion of them are also scousers.

So basically, what it boils down to ( as it always does ) is a few numpties from Liverpool FC decide to do something stupid, and the self-loathing suv'ners on here decide to berate the whole city in a collective effort to feel better about themselves.

I bought my first flat from the money earned working overtime at Mr Kiplings in Eastleigh because the Liverpool factory was always on strike. Sorry Pap, as individuals they may be great. As a city there is an odd belief that everyone else owes them something.

a few numpties from Liverpool FC decide to do something stupid, and the self-loathing suv'ners on here decide to berate the whole city in a collective effort to feel better about themselves.

So now anyone who doesn't like anything a scouser does suddenly has a massive inferiority complex?

Wowzers....

So now anyone who doesn't like anything a scouser does suddenly has a massive inferiority complex?

Wowzers....

Can you offer a better explanation as to why people spend their time actively disliking people from a certain part of the country?

Can you offer a better explanation as to why people spend their time actively disliking people from a certain part of the country?

Because they consistently do things like boo the national anthem; get grant money for cruise terminal with conditions then disreagrd the conditions; (albeit historically) go on strike until the factories and docks close down then moan about unemployment. Derek Hatton etc.

Liverpool has been a pain in the collective arse for generations. You say you like the independent spirit. Others say its just ****ing on the family picnic bonfire.

Edited by buctootim

A mate of mine down here is one of those Social Media Marketing Guru's.

He posts something to keep "his brand active" on Twitter or FB about 5 times a day, they are intended to get people to comment which does some funky sh1t apparently.

Anyway, he is not a "proper" footie fan (he's from Middlesboro) only ever live game was Eng v Columbia Corporate back in '98.

So on Saturday he innocently asks Why doesn't anyone like Liverpool fans?

He got over 200 replies on his thread and almost every one from a Scouse was whingeing, moaning, aggressive, offensive and basically "We are the bestest fans in the world because we have had so much suffering and pain and nothing is ever our fault, we didn't want some rich Arab owner, how were we to know our Yanks were broke, we weren't thugs in Heysel it was the old stadium's fault, we weren't drunk or ticketless in Sheffield it was a Government/Sun conspiracy, and you should all bow down before us because you are not worthy, the European Ban was enforced as a mark of respect."

It was actually quite a shock - he's been swamped and had to change his FB profile which has now affected his work. Total mongs that make the phew seem well bred and educated.

And THEN they booed the National Anthem.

(*note the attitude of their fans in no way affects my belief that the events of Heysel & Sheffield were tragic accidents based on a combination of factors and my sympathy at the senseless loss of life and pain on the families and friends.)

Quite similar to Skates with their insular, backwards, not our fault, attitude to football and life.

Maybe you could work it out? After all you have already thought it might be down to physical abuse, then an inferiority complex. Maybe, just maybe, in this case the most mentioned and obvious rationale is actually the true one?

Sorry mate - you'll have to defer to my expert knowledge in this field. I live here and hardly any of them do.

I'm still working on the theory that you've been given a proper slapping by a scouser at some point in your life ( and as I've said before, probably for saying the same things out loud as you do from the comfort of your internet anonymity ).

Look, most of the country don't like scousers. Accept it, hold a minute's silence and move on.

As someone who has been to Liverpool itself once (League away, December 2004) I was quite surprised that the stereotype of scrounging scousers was immediately confirmed by a friendly local in 'The Stanley,' opposite Goodison Park where I parked. He was proudly regailing how he rips off the state for incapacity benefit and succesfully operated a credit card cloning scam.

Whether he is there just for the tourists i'm not sure..... but to have every negative generalisation of a city confirmed in the first 5 minutes of arrival is quite odd.

In the times I have visited Jaguar Hailwood though I have met many hard working and genuine scousers, all of whom had made deliberate efforts to move away from their 'home' city.

Because they consistently do things like boo the national anthem; get grant money for cruise terminal with conditions then disreagrd the conditions; (albeit historically) go on strike until the factories and docks close down then moan about unemployment. Red Robbo. Derek Hatton. etc.

Liverpool has been a pain in the collective arse for generations. You say you like the independent spirit. Others say its just ****ing on the family picnic bonfire.

Who are "they" exactly? All Liverpudlians?

Are you attributing a set of qualities to a city full of people based on the actions and deeds of a few?