Booing of National Anthem at Cup Final

spyinthesky

Now I am not a rampant monarchist or particularly fervent nationalist but I do think that respect should be given to our national anthem.

First of all it was surprising, and disappointing, that the Liverpool fans seemed to react negatively to the playing of the Anthem

Perhaps I am old fashioned but one of the 'special' parts of the two Cup Final days I have enjoyed with Saints was the playing of the National Anthem as well as 'Abide with me'

These were an important part of Cup Final tradition that I used to watch on our 14" black and white rented Sobell TV when I was growing up.

To hear Liverpool fans react with boos and whistles, and to have the Liverpool Echo try to justify these actions, were as disappointing as seeing the majority of the two teams representing different countries.

I am no great fan of John Terry but, at least he and Frank Lampard showed a bit of patriotism unlike Steve Gerrard and the relativey few others on the pitch who were actually born in this country.

All so much more different than the Rugby players!!

• Like 2

Bint singing it looked a bit cold though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Other than that they've got to sort the protocol out,can't remember if it was the Cup Final or the Newcastle -Citeh game yesterday or maybe both but with all the kids that seem to accompany the players nowadays some of the players shake their hand others don't.So the kid holds out his hand to the player and the player ignores him and moves on to the next opposition player,next player shakes the kid's hand.Should either be agreed in advance that all the players do the same thing or cut it out altogether.Poor little buggers who didn't get to shake Tevez's (or whoever it was) looked pretty miffed.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yes, i couldn't believe my ears. Is there any other country in the world that would boo its own anthem, what's wrong with us?

Happened in France once, France-Algeria game, Chirac had the protocol ceremony stopped and an announcement put out on the PA that if the Marseillaise was booed again the match would be cancelled and everybody would just simply lose their ticket money. Calmed them a treat.

Happened in France once, France-Algeria game, Chirac had the protocol ceremony stopped and an announcement put out on the PA that if the Marseillaise was booed again the match would be cancelled and everybody would just simply lose their ticket money. Calmed them a treat.

Although in fairness Algerians have plenty of historical reasons to boo a French anthem...more so than a couple of domestic finalists.

Micky

To be honest I didnt know at the time but if you look on the Liverpool Echo website one of their journo's is trying to make a defence for it so assume it was only LFC supporters

I've just seen the article, what a load of b0ll0cks !

Perhaps they could join the Welsh league if that's how they feel about things. I am doing my bit to bail the country out. I expect the majority of our scouse friends are still doing their very bestto keep us in this mess.

Got to admit i was suprise to hear it, but thought it was quality

Its an awful anthem

"Long to regin over us"??!! FFS! thats an appalling thing to ask of someone in 2012

its just fuking words...better than singing about bombs in the air...or sending some king home to think again

I can't think of any anthems that are actually relevant

It's an awful song and I wouldn't see any good reason for singing it (this from before I emigrated and I am still British), but I wouldn't be idiotic enough to boo it either. If you don't approve of it, silence sends a far clearer message. It won't change any time soon though.

All of the alternative songs are poor too. Ideally a new one would be written, but of course at least half the population would hate it whatever it was. Anthems can be proud and relevant, I enjoy Norway's and always join in on 17th May. Like most people I only know the first verse, but it's relevant to me and anyone else living here. The first line is "Yes, we love this country" and it doesn't contain anything about the current monarchy, that's the kind of thing I prefer.

Its an awful anthem

"Long to regin over us"??!! FFS! thats an appalling thing to ask of someone in 2012

You thought it was 'quality'? Can you tell us all why without sounding too sad and bitter?

Its an awful anthem

No it isn't. Not everyone is a scum republican, some of us are proud to be loyal subjects.

It's an awful song and I wouldn't see any good reason for singing it (this from before I emigrated and I am still British), but I wouldn't be idiotic enough to boo it either. If you don't approve of it, silence sends a far clearer message. It won't change any time soon though.

All of the alternative songs are poor too. Ideally a new one would be written, but of course at least half the population would hate it whatever it was. Anthems can be proud and relevant, I enjoy Norway's and always join in on 17th May. Like most people I only know the first verse, but it's relevant to me and anyone else living here. The first line is "Yes, we love this country" and it doesn't contain anything about the current monarchy, that's the kind of thing I prefer.

good post we must have one of the worst national anthems going .terrible words preferred the sex pistols version.

I dont like the national anthem either - would prefer Jerusalem being used in English contexts.

However, this incident at the weekend just underlines the arrogance and total self-preoccupation that Liverpool FC fans have that has made them universally despised by the rest of the football world since the late 70s and made believing the negative portrayal of their behaviour at Hillsborough, whilst clearly unfair, all that more believable at the time.

They didnt give a shiny sh*t when they were hammering teams left right and centre in the 80s, but then expected the rest of the game to feel sorry for them when their dominant era finally ended.

F**k 'em. They are the team I most want us to beat next season.

its just fuking words...better than singing about bombs in the air...or sending some king home to think again

I can't think of any anthems that are actually relevant

Words are important, and nobody likes to say or sing things they don't believe. I do agree that probably most anthems are dated and irrelevant, which is why they should be updated. Better things for us to sing about than Queenie.

So what's good about us? Democracy? Politeness? History? Cheap Beer? Yorkshire Pudding? Better than Scotland and Wales? Perhaps we should write a new song.

OK, I've read the article. Still don't get what they are booing for.

Agree. Hate this;

wabs1

10:58 AM on 7/5/2012

"am scouse not english tell everyone and anyone,dont go on to me about patriotism either served in the army 1kings until the english took that away with amalgamations,iam proud to be scouse"

Wow, just wow! Been in the army myself, alot of great people in... but not everyone. In fact, have to say developed my dislike of Liverpool while in the army. 70% of scousers only talk about liverpool, and how it is so great. Think its inbreeding gone mad sometimes.

Have to say myself I like the royal family, they actually do a great deal for the country, don't say that to a scouse though, he may talk to you :scared:

I'd be delighted to see GSTQ replaced by "I vow to thee my country". British song, set to music by arguably the greatest British composer, places a love of country in the context of sacrifice and a non-denominational other place. Also sounds bloody awesome when belted out, but a bit tricky to sing (no harder than Jerusalem though).

It's anachronistic to pledge allegiance to a person (other than Sir Rickie)

Don't take umbridge at those fantastic folks of Liverpool, otherwise they will get very upset with you.

We all sit on our backsides at football thanks to a big mob of Beered up "Scousers" forcing their way into a Cup Semi Final resulting in the deaths of 90 so called fellow supporters: oops! Sorry....I forgot it was 100% South Yorkshire Police's fault....... That's the Dog poo through my door sorted.

All English Football teams cast out of European competition football, for what was it 5 years, because Liverpool fans went on the rampage......... Oops sorry again! Silly me, Stadium was woefully inadequate and decrepit for a European Cup final it had absolutely nothing to with the fact that a bunch of Liverpool fans, no doubt Beered up on strong Belgian Lager, decided they were invincible and started a riot.............. That'll be a big hole in the ground where my house was when I get home.

The National Anthem is the National Anthem, whether you agree with the Monarchy or not it is the National Anthem, we don't live in a dictatorship, we live in probably one of the most liberal and laid back Countries in the World, if you don't like the Anthem don't sing it, but don't abuse the National Anthem or those who chose to sing it. Booing the singing of it is unacceptable, if you are a British National living in our very liberal freedom of speech society, if you feel that small minded enough to Boo the National Anthem, then quite frankly you should save up your pennies or giro and get on a plane or boat and b u gger off out of the Country.

Most of all, never question the actions of the good people of Liverpool, the wrongs might be committed by the minority, but the majority will stand behind them regardless.

Technically it will change sometime soon, when Lizzie pops her clogs ......... sorry to be pedantic.

A mate of mine down here is one of those Social Media Marketing Guru's.

He posts something to keep "his brand active" on Twitter or FB about 5 times a day, they are intended to get people to comment which does some funky sh1t apparently.

Anyway, he is not a "proper" footie fan (he's from Middlesboro) only ever live game was Eng v Columbia Corporate back in '98.

So on Saturday he innocently asks Why doesn't anyone like Liverpool fans?

He got over 200 replies on his thread and almost every one from a Scouse was whingeing, moaning, aggressive, offensive and basically "We are the bestest fans in the world because we have had so much suffering and pain and nothing is ever our fault, we didn't want some rich Arab owner, how were we to know our Yanks were broke, we weren't thugs in Heysel it was the old stadium's fault, we weren't drunk or ticketless in Sheffield it was a Government/Sun conspiracy, and you should all bow down before us because you are not worthy, the European Ban was enforced as a mark of respect."

It was actually quite a shock - he's been swamped and had to change his FB profile which has now affected his work. Total mongs that make the phew seem well bred and educated.

And THEN they booed the National Anthem.

(*note the attitude of their fans in no way affects my belief that the events of Heysel & Sheffield were tragic accidents based on a combination of factors and my sympathy at the senseless loss of life and pain on the families and friends.)

A mate of mine down here is one of those Social Media Marketing Guru's.

He posts something to keep "his brand active" on Twitter or FB about 5 times a day, they are intended to get people to comment which does some funky sh1t apparently.

Anyway, he is not a "proper" footie fan (he's from Middlesboro) only ever live game was Eng v Columbia Corporate back in '98.

So on Saturday he innocently asks Why doesn't anyone like Liverpool fans?

He got over 200 replies on his thread and almost every one from a Scouse was whingeing, moaning, aggressive, offensive and basically "We are the bestest fans in the world because we have had so much suffering and pain and nothing is ever our fault, we didn't want some rich Arab owner, how were we to know our Yanks were broke, we weren't thugs in Heysel it was the old stadium's fault, we weren't drunk or ticketless in Sheffield it was a Government/Sun conspiracy, and you should all bow down before us because you are not worthy, the European Ban was enforced as a mark of respect."

It was actually quite a shock - he's been swamped and had to change his FB profile which has now affected his work. Total mongs that make the phew seem well bred and educated.

And THEN they booed the National Anthem.

(*note the attitude of their fans in no way affects my belief that the events of Heysel & Sheffield were tragic accidents based on a combination of factors and my sympathy at the senseless loss of life and pain on the families and friends.)

Just before your line "And THEN they booed the National Anthem" you have written "Then they selfishly demanded the FA Cup finals be arranged in such a way as to have an adverse effect on Chelseas attempts to reach the Champions League Final"

OK, I've read the article. Still don't get what they are booing for.

Me neither. But I'm guessing it was ironic.

They didn't get the chance to sing GSTQ when they played Cardiff because the footballing authorities didn't want the Welsh booing and spoiling the happy, smiley, chocolate box occasion.

So when they were given the chance to sing it they made a protest.

?

What a pathetic article. Embarrassing even.

Hopefully The FA will make them play on April 15th next season. Time to stop pandering to their self pity.

I've yet to meet a scouser without a chip on their shoulder.

Sorry mate - you'll have to defer to my expert knowledge in this field. I live here and hardly any of them do.

I'm still working on the theory that you've been given a proper slapping by a scouser at some point in your life ( and as I've said before, probably for saying the same things out loud as you do from the comfort of your internet anonymity ).