Wimbledon

Thedelldays

Tim Henman is still there, in response to an earlier post - he's being paid £200,000 for his handful of commentaries over the next two weeks. £200,000 for the one time world number four tennis player who did nothing but disappoint. Meanwhile, John McEnroe, one of the world's best tennis players, is told by the BBC that he can't have a pitcher of Pimms due to budget cutbacks.

I thought Alan Hansen on £40k per Match of the Day was bad. That's just obscene.

I saw she won the first set and thought she looked in control. Just seen now that she lost. Shame.

Schiavone's experience guided her through. Robson could have won if she had taken her chance in the second, but she is young and it will come in time. She broke into the top 100 the other day! As I said before I think she will be top 10 one day.

Shame you didn't watch this afternoon's match then. He was far from defensive and absolutely wiped the floor with Davydenko who has been in the world top ten for the past 7 years or so and a Grand Slam semi-finalist on a number of occasions. Murray beat him 1, 1 and 2.

Of course clay and hard court play tends to be more defensive than grass but his tactics and mindgames with his opponent were breathtaking today.

I was talking about the majority of his displays against the top three (which are the games that really matter.) Both his losses to Federer in the slam finals were hugely disappointing from his perspective. Not only was he hugely outclassed, he let himself down by the incredibly boring and negative tactics he employed when in actuality he can play a lot better. I also do not find his interview technique and demeanour both on and off court particularly appealing most of the time. It irritates me that he makes a big show of "injuries" when you have the likes of Roger and Rafa who go through a lot more physically yet rarely let it show unless it is a serious problem.

And why you care so much about a comfortable first round win I have no idea, it is completely expected. If it had been either of the other three then no one would have batted an eyelid. I'm not sure Federer has lost a first round match at a slam for about a decade for goodness sake (maybe his first Wimbledon) regardless of who he played. If Murray fails to win again then absolutely nobody is going to remember his comfortable first round victory.

Edited by hypochondriac

Laura Robson had a great go today. 3rd youngest person in the draw. She's one for the future, top 10 definitely. Hits the ball so hard.

People need to get over the 'anyone but England' joke Murray made years ago too.

Love Wimbledon though. Going again this year, but I do hate how everyone suddenly thinks they are a tennis expert based on watching a couple of matches over 2 weeks once a year. The same people who argue Andy Murray is **** when he is probably the best tennis player to be born in the UK ever.

Not sure why you think that is the sole reason people are not fans of Murray. As someone who watches tennis regularly (and most likely before you had the ability to watch it) there are quite a few things I am not too keen on about Murray (and some of them his fellow professionals have commented on too such as his ridiculous injury thing.) I have outlined some of them above.

Edited by hypochondriac

Not at all. Just it was a tougher than normal first round. I think me and BTF are just a little bit protective as all tennis followers are because of the constant and unfair Murray bashing when he has achieved a lot.

Why is it unfair to call his tennis (and him a lot of the time in interviews and the way he carries himself) negative and boring in comparison to the big three? I watch tennis all year round and see it with my own eyes. Roger has always been the most graceful and easy on the eye whilst the other two have had their moments and the power they can generate is amazing at times. Murray just cannot compare and when I largely watch tennis to be entertained, I am left underwhelmed by Andy a fair amount. I just do not find getting the ball in until an opponent makes an error a particularly good watch and would much rather that he actually played to win a lot of his shots like most of the other top players do rather than play to not lose the point. Even on his wikipedia page (not the most reliable but in this case backed up with quotes) he is described as "a defensive counter-puncher."

Edited by hypochondriac

Why is it unfair to call his tennis (and him a lot of the time in interviews and the way he carries himself) negative and boring in comparison to the big three? I watch tennis all year round and see it with my own eyes. Roger has always been the most graceful and easy on the eye whilst the other two have had their moments and the power they can generate is amazing at times. Murray just cannot compare and when I largely watch tennis to be entertained, I am left underwhelmed by Andy a fair amount. I just do not find getting the ball in until an opponent makes an error a particularly good watch and would much rather that he actually played to win a lot of his shots like most of the other top players do rather than play to not lose the point. Even on his wikipedia page (not the most reliable but in this case backed up with quotes) he is described as "a defensive counter-puncher."

I think Murray does have an exciting game, and can produce some amazing shots from literally no-where. But I accept that is a matter of opinion. Over the past few years, he has been ridiculously ahead of everyone ranked 5 and lower, and within touching distance of the top 3. Which is a pretty good place to be.

He has managed to compete more and more with the top 3 at slam level, and oddly often has little trouble competing with them at ordinary tournaments. I think a lot of it must be psychological.

the fact the women get equal prize money at wimbledon is also a farce

I'm all for equalities but i don't think they take it far enough, there shouldn't be a seperate men's and women's tournament it should all be together and equals.

because the standard is nothing like the mens

it does not draw in as many spectators as the mens...but I know that is a circumstance of who ever is around at the time

how about, they simply do not put in as many games as the men...

TBF I believe they have offered to play as many games in the past. I do take your point though about appeal. I mean the male players bring in the lions share of revenue.

He will make the semi and lose.

Probably, although he has shown he can beat Nadal in the past(albeit on hard courts en route to US open finals and in other smaller tournaments). We shall see, I suspect you are right, and even if he does get there, it is a massive achievement in this era.

I'm all for equalities but i don't think they take it far enough, there shouldn't be a seperate men's and women's tournament it should all be together and equals.

I've been saying the same thing for years. Tennis, athletics, golf - make all sports equal.

Apparently it massively opens up this side of the draw for Andy Murray.

Pity he will choke it as usual....

Why is it a pity. I hope he never wins. I'd rather save that for an Englishman in years to come.

Apparently it massively opens up this side of the draw for Andy Murray.

Pity he will choke it as usual....

You may be right, but it won't be choking. If it gets to the semi finals, it is a great achievement for any player. Tsonga would be just as tough in the semis if he gets there. He has a long way to go first and would probably have to get through Roddick or Ferrer in the quarters and Cillic in the 4th.

You may be right, but it won't be choking. If it gets to the semi finals, it is a great achievement for any player. Tsonga would be just as tough in the semis if he gets there. He has a long way to go first and would probably have to get through Roddick or Ferrer in the quarters and Cillic in the 4th.

Grand slam wins are what matter and what he will be remembered for.

Grand slam wins are what matter and what he will be remembered for.

That is very true. But his achievements to date of 3 grand slam finals and however many semi finals(I've lost count) is a very good achievement. He is an amazing player. And he is laughing all the way to the bank either way.

95% of tennis fans at Wimbledon are mental. Well, Hopefully I'll fall in to the 95%, would hate to disappoint! I have tickets for No. 1 court tomorrow, looking forward to it - first time I've entered the draw for tickets and got two good ones. Not sure what to expect, but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to drink and people watch. People watching will no doubt be quite amusing.

That is very true. But his achievements to date of 3 grand slam finals and however many semi finals(I've lost count) is a very good achievement. He is an amazing player. And he is laughing all the way to the bank either way.

He isn't an amazing player. He's decent, Nadal and Federer are amazing players. Like the majority of sportsmen Britain produces he's a level down from world class.

95% of tennis fans at Wimbledon are mental. Well, Hopefully I'll fall in to the 95%, would hate to disappoint! I have tickets for No. 1 court tomorrow, looking forward to it - first time I've entered the draw for tickets and got two good ones. Not sure what to expect, but I'm sure there will be plenty of places to drink and people watch. People watching will no doubt be quite amusing.

Ive been to Wimbledon three times, twice on corporate days out and it's full of absolute helmets.

He isn't an amazing player. He's decent, Nadal and Federer are amazing players. Like the majority of sportsmen Britain produces he's a level down from world class.

If he had been playing 10 years ago when the likes of Hewitt won a slam, he would have won 1 or 2. He is an amazing player, just not as you point out, the best.

If he had been playing 10 years ago when the likes of Hewitt won a slam, he would have won 1 or 2. He is an amazing player, just not as you point out, the best.

Anyone could say that. If Damon Hill hadn't driven at the same time as Schumacher he'd have won more titles. If Henry Cooper hasn't been around at the same time as Ali he'd have been a world champion. If Man United hadn't played Barcelona in their last two champions league finals they might have won them both. Every generation produces greats, Murray is good, but not good enough.

Anyone could say that. If Damon Hill hadn't driven at the same time as Schumacher he'd have won more titles. If Henry Cooper hasn't been around at the same time as Ali he'd have been a world champion. If Man United hadn't played Barcelona in their last two champions league finals they might have won them both. Every generation produces greats, Murray is good, but not good enough.

He is an amazing player, the best we have produced. You are right though that he is one small notch below Nadal and Djokovic at slam level, and Federer in his prime. Elsewhere he matches them easily. It's the 5 setters in a grand slam environment where he can't quite beat 2 of the big three in a row, like the others manage.

He is an amazing player, the best we have produced. You are right though that he is one small notch below Nadal and Djokovic at slam level, and Federer in his prime. Elsewhere he matches them easily. It's the 5 setters in a grand slam environment where he can't quite beat 2 of the big three in a row, like the others manage.

If he cant match the best he isn't amazing then is he, it's very simple Andy, I'm surprised someone like you can't grasp it. He's won no grand slams and often falls short against the true greats. I'm not anti Murray and think he's good but to be considered "amazing" you have to win things and beat the best, so far he has come up short.

Edited by Turkish

Murray has even said that if he was around 10 years ago, he would not be as good as he was today due to the fact he has HAD to try and keep up with the best

I always laugh when people say "if he'd played in a different era he'd be a world champion" it's boll*ks. Players are fitter now, technology is better, coaching is better, 10 or 20 years ago he'd only have access to the same things as players of that era, so Murray wouldn't be as fit, strong and have the same standard as coachingin the era as everyone else. 10-20 years ago Samprass dominated men's tennis, another player who was "amazing" With other great players around like Effenburg, Agassi. Before that Connors, Mcenroe, Lendell, Borg and so on. The players are probably better now due to advances in training, diet and technology but 10-20 years ago Murray would only have access to what they did, so he wouldn't be as fit and have the coaching as he he does now either.

You're right. He isn't a great, but he is an amazing player. And TDD, you're also right. I will be disappointed if he doesn't make the final now. He is clearly capable of it, though his match with Tsonga(getting ahead of myself) will be tough and close.

it will be close and Tsonga is also a very good player..but to be the best you have to be a winner.

If murray does not get to the final now he will once again, be a glorious loser