Football Manager 2013

Monk

Well yeah, its supposed to be a realistic football game and so yeah, it kind of doesnt make sense that a football manager woukd do the hiring and firing, even if it was a mix of both, some clubs imposing it and others asking if you want to hire one ?

It is realistic to include directors of football as they do play big roles at clubs. Les Reed will do stuff in real life you can now assign him to do on FM13.

Who's to say managers haven't had an influence in the appointment of a DoF before. SI works closely with people within the sport to accurately represent it. Scouts, managers, agents, managing directors etc. The sponsorships of Wimbledon and now Watford allow SI to see how clubs operate and then replicate it.

So anyway is there an editor or not ?

Why do you think there wouldn't be?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Dof looks like a good development to me.

Yes it might not be realistic that the manager can hire and fire the dof but the game would be f'ing frustrating if you found yourself doing a good job with the team but found yourself getting fired because you'd fallen out with the dof because of a personality clash.

By allowing the player to hire\fire it gives the gamer the option.

If you don't like it, don't hire one. Problem solved.

Is that really a problem? Numerous people have complained the game is too complicated for them, this gives them the chance to further deligate some of the things they don't want to do. SI really can't win!

They can when you're around. Never do any wrong in fact.

It's a simple question, and as Smirking_Saint has asked, it's meant to be realistic is it not?

They can when you're around. Never do any wrong in fact.

It's a simple question, and as Smirking_Saint has asked, it's meant to be realistic is it not?

how realistic can u really make it tho? I've never had a player accused of sexual misconduct and there seems to be a few if those every year. it's realism vs. fun. overly realistic computer games take the fun out, like in GTA iv, having to clunk n click before every trip is gay, although realistic. part of a building a computer game is maximising fun for all players. fm is one of few games that is the same for everyone, no difficulty setting etc. with online boards so many games have turned into hardcore vs casual battles for developers. this new mode allows ppl who feel like they have been shut out of fm12 because it is too long/hard, but u still get to play it the way u want, so why does it matter?

how realistic can u really make it tho? I've never had a player accused of sexual misconduct and there seems to be a few if those every year. it's realism vs. fun. overly realistic computer games take the fun out, like in GTA iv, having to clunk n click before every trip is gay, although realistic. part of a building a computer game is maximising fun for all players. fm is one of few games that is the same for everyone, no difficulty setting etc. with online boards so many games have turned into hardcore vs casual battles for developers. this new mode allows ppl who feel like they have been shut out of fm12 because it is too long/hard, but u still get to play it the way u want, so why does it matter?

Sorry but I can't read four year old.

Stopped reading here.

A request from the entire internet, there is no character limit on posts to the internet so shortening words like and to n is not necessary and makes every post unreadable

Thank you in advance, the internet

the obvious answer is twitter...

but years of having a limit, and typing with one thumb gas had an influence on society. at some point language has to move on, if it never evolved we'd still be grunting at each other.

but you understand what I wrote though... if not you are more moronic than myself. itz not lik I is ritin lik dis do iz it? so chill out and stop trying to troll me, just because you hate that I'm right and can only attack my style of posting rather than the content itself.

in short, haters gonna hate...

Again, since when did a manager hire or fire a DoF, or tell them what they can and can't do?

If you want it to be very realistic, you can choose not to take on that responsibility. Some people wouldn't play if they couldn't control transfers, or whatever.

Where was the decent point?

Sorry: LOL wear woz the dcnt point?!11!! lmao

u asked if the game was meant to be realistic or not, but it can only be realistic to a point, when it stops becoming fun for alot of users.

as I said it's fun vs realism (vs profit)

comprende homes?

although the challenges are new and some will like, it seems all the fancy graphics are just updates on existing options. Adding extra matchday graphics is good if you use them.

Only plus to the way I play is the coaching system from what I can see, hope they also fix the regens coming through the system. Multiple times had the best scouting system, youth setups etc and getting feckin crap players nearly every season. Think in my Milan game I didnt have a decent home grown player in 10 seasons or more.

Watching all those blogs makes me think this years game should be an update/addon rather then a full release. Sort of like what EA did with the euro 2012 game.

When you break it down the main change is the 3d match has had a slight graphic upgrade. The rest seem just additional options and cosmetic changes. Things like tone and the media stuff are almost the same as last year they just put them in more places.

Will wait for the demo but dont see any reason to part with £25 just for an update really.

Watching all those blogs makes me think this years game should be an update/addon rather then a full release. Sort of like what EA did with the euro 2012 game.

When you break it down the main change is the 3d match has had a slight graphic upgrade. The rest seem just additional options and cosmetic changes. Things like tone and the media stuff are almost the same as last year they just put them in more places.

Will wait for the demo but dont see any reason to part with £25 just for an update really.

I'm sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth, large parts of the game have completely changed, others have seen significant improvement to how they work.

For a start it isn't a "slight graphical update" for the match engine, the match engine has been completely re-written behind the scenes over the past two years and is now seeing the light of day for the first time in FM13.

There are over 900 new features this year, it is a long way from being a mere data "update".

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'm sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth, large parts of the game have completely changed, others have seen significant improvement to how they work.

For a start it isn't a "slight graphical update" for the match engine, the match engine has been completely re-written behind the scenes over the past two years and is now seeing the light of day for the first time in FM13.

There are over 900 new features this year, it is a long way from being a mere data "update".

Sorry but it doesnt look that different. If they spent 2 years on that graphical update then they should be fired as thats shocking.

These 900 features that you talk of what would be the main one? The one where when you use it you cant go back to the old one?

Right now it looks more like an update.

Sorry but it doesnt look that different. If they spent 2 years on that graphical update then they should be fired as thats shocking.

I'm talking more about the match AI and physics than the graphics (although they have also improved). FM left the match AI as it was in FM11 for FM12. For the last two years they have been working on new match AI and a physic engine. Because the game is modular it means they can work on areas over a longer time and then put them in. For example they have thing in mind for FM14, FM15 and FM16 which will take more than the yearly cycle to make.

Remember also that SI are working on a fraction of EA's production budget for FIFA. Plus EA also released their first 3D football game about 17 years ago, SI 's first was 4 years ago. That is quite a headstart.

Right now it looks more like an update.

You can get it cheaper than £25, it is £19.99 here for example...

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19718/Football-Manager-2013-PC

Even if it were just a data update (which it isn't), is £19.99 expensive when you divide it by the hours you will play it?

Play the free demo and decide rather than making your mind up now.

Trying to get like for like shots but which one is fm12 and which one is fm13? If anything fm12 looks better imo but they look nearly identical/

You appear to be basing this solely on graphics, which is really the least important thing about the match.

- FM11 and FM12 had the same match engine, physics and AI.

- FM13's match AI and physics under the hood which have been completely re-written over the past two years.

In any case, FM13 graphically has also improved with numerous changes and improvements to the animations, and stadiums etc.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'm talking more about the match AI and physics than the graphics (although they have also improved). FM left the match AI as it was in FM11 for FM12. For the last two years they have been working on new match AI and a physic engine. Because the game is modular it means they can work on areas over a longer time and then put them in. For example they have thing in mind for FM14, FM15 and FM16 which will take more than the yearly cycle to make.

Remember also that SI are working on a fraction of EA's production budget for FIFA. Plus EA also released their first 3D football game about 17 years ago, SI 's first was 4 years ago. That is quite a headstart.

You can get it cheaper than £25, it is £19.99 here for example...

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19718/Football-Manager-2013-PC

Even if it were just a data update (which it isn't), is £19.99 expensive when you divide it by the hours you will play it?

Play the free demo and decide rather than making your mind up now.

But if the major update is how the 3d match works then again that sounds a bit ****ty considering you don't actually control whats happening. Your not in control of a player as such. Technically your watching a video.

Naturally your going to defend them but personally I don't see the need for annual games if the changes in them are not much. As you mention they are thinking years ahead so why not do what they did ages ago and just let the community update the game? As I think they would easily be able to do that. The problem with yearly games is that they have to have something to make you think "right I can't go back to that old version now". Like in Fifa this year they have added a sort of first touch control system which means you can't just kick the ball to someone and they pull it down and run with it. If you use that then go back to the old one the whole thing feels different. And feels worse. However in the past EA have been probably the worst culprits at the yearly update game by not changing much at all. At the start of this generation it was almost the same game every year!

I hate companies that think that way. They have to have a game out each year even if there is nothing really new in there. Nothing to make it stand above the older versions. I think if games companies don't have anything then skip a year. It will make the title more desirable if people have to wait longer for it.

To me this years version just seems like one of those games. Next year will be different. Who knows with the new consoles coming maybe they can get the same experience on those.

You want them to take time out to improve features over a longer period than the 1 year development cycle, however as I've shown that is exactly what they are doing. The game is coded to be modular and the match AI has been taken out and put under a 2 year overhaul. The same happens for other areas and the game improves year on year.

You have also overlooked the changes to...

- training

- scouting

- the transfer system

- media

- international management

- network games

- inclusion of challenge mode

- inclusion of versus mode

- inclusion of FM Classic

etc etc in FM13.

All that makes it more than a mere "data update".

You can buy FM13 for £19.99, is that expensive considering the game time you will get out of it?

Edited by Matthew Le God

MLG, when were the database and player stats finalised?

I would guess that if being finalised now players like lambert might be better (after a cracking start) than they would have been if finalised before the season started (when it remained to be seen if his form would carry through at the top level)

The players current ability is based on last season, it doesn't take into account what they have done this season.