Football Manager 2013

Monk

I am a big fan but the game is sh!t this year. MLG may try and defend it but even on their forums it is pretty widely hailed as a failure.

I don't get on with it and genuinely think I'm done. They've taken this as far as they can, I reckon. Football Manager Classic is a bit of a sop to the fact that the main game takes so long to play, and some of the design choices they've made in FMC are just baffling. You can have shouts, but only when the game is auto-managed or you put them on yourself? Please.

For a long time now, the game has been rubs at providing feedback. They've improved a lot of areas, but certain things, like team meetings, scare the crap out of me.

All of the other stuff, media, team meeting etc are ok as long as you can switch them off - i.e. get your assistant to do it. There is too much detail but I can understand why some will want all that detail so being able to turn stuff on an off is fine with me.

The biggest problem is the new match engine, it just doesn't seem to work, not in a fun way anyway. One minute you beat Chelsea 4 -0 away, the next you lose 4-0 at home to Reading. You might be able to see what the difference is if you watch the full 90min game but who wants to do that?

The graphic 'improvements' are also worse, goal keepers diving to save the ball with their feet, people running like crabs - it's all very strange.

In my game Norwich won the league 3 times in a row and the champions league twice but in the final to win their 3rd consecutive champions league Grant Holt got injured and they lost 7-5 after extra time. The following season they was relegated with no wins and a total 4 points, 2 of which come against Saints.

In my game Norwich won the league 3 times in a row and the champions league twice but in the final to win their 3rd consecutive champions league Grant Holt got injured and they lost 7-5 after extra time. The following season they was relegated with no wins and a total 4 points, 2 of which come against Saints.

Thought you didn't play it as you were a busy bear? You been sneaking games in between chapters?

Thought you didn't play it as you were a busy bear? You been sneaking games in between chapters?

I was just lols i hadn't even played it. They just released the iphones one tho which is more my speed!

I'm doing ok. It's February first season and we're battling away in 3rd. Cortese seems quite happy bout this. I ain't really bought no-one good yet, it's more hard to find players cos the lesser known players is having most of their stats hidden till you scout them. They never used to bother with that in iPhones. Also, I've been trying all year to sell off the likes of Sharp and Chaplow to raise some £ cos I want better right winger than DeRidder but no-one is having it.

Lallanas is doing good. Rodriguez and Mayuka is both better than Lambert. Puncheon is sh!t.

Just invested in the FM Handheld 2013 for iOS. A watered down version of the desktop game but it suits my schedule and temper better than it's more advanced cousin ;)

Took Saints to 13th the first season and 8th the second season. Have some blips where I go on a scoreless run for 5-6 games, but then I pick up unexpected victories against top teams. Boruc, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Clyne, Schneiderlin, Cork, Lallana, Ramirez, Sharp and Rodriguez in an attacking 4-4-2 works quite well for me. Hooiveld, Davis, Ward-Prowse and Mayuka are good reserves. Lambert I hung on to for half a season before I realised he's really bad in this game...

I have no idea how training etc. works so I will probably never advance to the top of the league, but it's good fun playing a more laissez faire approach...

You wanna play 4-1-1-3-1 homes, I won the league first season Southampton playing that.

WB CTR CTR WB

BWM

CM

INF APM INF

TM

Short passing

Attacking

Pressing & Offside trap on

I always put all the training on intensive, you do seem to pick up more bad injuries this year tho

Just invested in the FM Handheld 2013 for iOS. A watered down version of the desktop game but it suits my schedule and temper better than it's more advanced cousin ;)

Took Saints to 13th the first season and 8th the second season. Have some blips where I go on a scoreless run for 5-6 games, but then I pick up unexpected victories against top teams. Boruc, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Clyne, Schneiderlin, Cork, Lallana, Ramirez, Sharp and Rodriguez in an attacking 4-4-2 works quite well for me. Hooiveld, Davis, Ward-Prowse and Mayuka are good reserves. Lambert I hung on to for half a season before I realised he's really bad in this game...

I have no idea how training etc. works so I will probably never advance to the top of the league, but it's good fun playing a more laissez faire approach...

Again, why did they have to mess around with that? It's a massive step backwards.

One of the reasons why I've washed my hands with it. There are changes for the sake of changes and that'll only continue.

Again, why did they have to mess around with that? It's a massive step backwards.

One of the reasons why I've washed my hands with it. There are changes for the sake of changes and that'll only continue.

Training is now more like how it is in real life and based on conversations they have had with those in the profession. Surely a good thing?

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone on here tell me why I cant get http://www.fmscout.com/a-olt-expanded-hair-pack-v3-dress-up-edition.html this to work with my game? I know this may not be the best place to look for help, but I really cant be bothered signing up to a forum just to ask that question.

Many thanks if anyone can help me. :)

Try...

Extract "olt hairpack" folder into the following directory:

\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2013\data\facegen\hair\

DO NOT OVERWRITE THE EXISTING ORIGINAL FOLDERS (afro, asian, euro, hispanic).

You should have the "olt hairpack" folder in this directory IN ADDITION to the other ones, or you will mess up your game.

Note: In the facegen\hair folder, you should notice four folders already (afro, asian, euro & hispanic). These are the default hairs for the game. You should add the "olt hairpack" folder to those four in there so you don't write over the original hair styles. So DO NOT extract the "afro", "asian", "euro" & "hispanic" folders from within the "olt hairpack" folder directly into the "facegen/hair" folder. Extract the actual folder "olt hairpack" into this directory.

Made my transfers, played half a dozen games and here's where i'm at:

GK: Artur Boruc

RB: Nathaniel Clyne

LB: Tsepo Masilela (£1.2m)

CB: Jores Okore (£1.3m)

CB: Jos Hooiveld

CM: Morgan Schneiderlin

CM: Jack Cork

AMCR: Wellington Nem (£3.75m)

AMC: Gaston Ramirez

AMCL: Adam Lallana

ST: Jay Rodriguez

Slowly integrating Luke Shaw and Adryan into the first-team as well. Enjoying the game very much so far, like the new match engine too.

So that's made more realistic whilst they let you choose your own Director of Football then give authority of him to someone else?

If you want to play with a real DoF, you can set your staff responsibilities up as to allow for this. To make an argument that it should be enforced, for absolute realism, is ridiculous - given that it can be self-imposed.

There were too many ways to exploit the old training system to make ridiculous gains. It's been made simpler and with less options to reflect this and to give a decision interface to reflect what a manager would do on a day-to-day basis - micro-managing individual sliders every week for each player isn't something managers would really be expected to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always struggled with Premier League management, unless I have a stupidly good team. The players at the top level tend to be very overpowered and nigh on impossible to play against. I like career games where you start off low and build up to a decent standard - currently doing my local Tier 9 team. Going to see if I can get them up to the Football League - it'll be a hell of a slog though.

Started unemployed and zero past experience. Pretty difficult and takes you to some weird places (if you have all leagues running like me). Started at Havant, got them promoted to Blue Premier and then moved to Hacken in Sweden and won the league and cup. Got offered the Ipswich job who were at that time in league one at the bottom. Got them promoted back to championship and was offered the Feynoord job who were in the 2nd division. Got them promoted back to top league and now have them sitting top after 2 years of re-building in top flight and mid table finishes.

Interestingly I re-look at the PL and see Arsenal and Man Utd have been relegated and Derby are top with Villa 2nd and Man Citeh 3rd. In la liga Barca are currently 15th and Real Sociedad are current champions with Zaragoza 2nd. Real are 6th. In Italy Lazio got relegated. The other leagues look a bit more normal.

It is a good game but the performances of some teams just seems really wrong. And some transfers seem odd too. Like Rooney left Man Utd and moved to Norwich. Andy Carroll has turned into a player who misses training and get's constant fines and Da Silva at Citeh is listed for loan in the reserves. Hope these things get fixed in the next patch as it is quite laughable really. What is the point in playing if it isn't realistic?

• 2 weeks later...

No one knows, think MLG died in a freek data processing accident.

In his absence here are some links -

http://www.facebook.com/fm2O13 - They say an update was released this week.

http://community.sigames.com/ - If you look carefully on here you will probably find some thread about saints stadium expansion with drawings and everything.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

i got iphones update last night. I was pleased cos i wanted to find out if Forren was good player, but there is no Forrens in whole squad! Ever since MLG died sports interactive have been very slack in their udpating of southampton football statistics.

Thanks for the kind words CD, however I follow you on twitter and know your mornings consist of: 1) stressfully getting to the station 2)train delay 3) busy train 4) Woman talking on the phone on busy train 5) Someone bringing bike on to busy train 6) something about mods and Clarke's shoes - repeat in the evening.

I am worried about MLG though, usually during half term he would be cutting and pasting facts and videos like there was no tomorrow but no a peep out of him. I am keeping a close eye on Turkish, if he starts asking about limestone and threads on disposing of 'meat' I am calling it in.

Thanks for the kind words CD, however I follow you on twitter and know your mornings consist of: 1) stressfully getting to the station 2)train delay 3) busy train 4) Woman talking on the phone on busy train 5) Someone bringing bike on to busy train 6) something about mods and Clarke's shoes - repeat in the evening.

I am worried about MLG though, usually during half term he would be cutting and pasting facts and videos like there was no tomorrow but no a peep out of him. I am keeping a close eye on Turkish, if he starts asking about limestone and threads on disposing of 'meat' I am calling it in.

Clarke's shoes? You having a giraffe mate? Paolo Vandini.

Been living in Stratford for the past two weeks, so commute not so much of a hassle.

I'm sure MLG is still reading the forum if not posting.

Paolo Vandini? Weren't we linked with him in the summer?

Nah MLG has gone. I am a bit worried as I have been saying he is dead and stuff but what if he really is and I was only joking but then look a ****? Only one way to find out:

So does anyone on here know what Nigel Atkin's rating on football manager will be next year?