Football Manager 2013

Monk

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing this again, I had a game going with a Tier 9 lower league add-on with my local team Hartley Wintney FC.

Got them from Tier 9 to the BSP in consecutive seasons - including winning the BSS title on the last day of the season from 3rd place, when Salisbury (1st) and Forest Green (2nd) both conceded in the 84th minute!

Just started my first season in the BSP, club is 100k in debt but gate receipts are going up all the time and our wage bill is next to nothing so my first goal this season is to get the club in a better position financially and hopefully finish around the play-offs.

Started playing this again, I had a game going with a Tier 9 lower league add-on with my local team Hartley Wintney FC.

Got them from Tier 9 to the BSP in consecutive seasons - including winning the BSS title on the last day of the season from 3rd place, when Salisbury (1st) and Forest Green (2nd) both conceded in the 84th minute!

Just started my first season in the BSP, club is 100k in debt but gate receipts are going up all the time and our wage bill is next to nothing so my first goal this season is to get the club in a better position financially and hopefully finish around the play-offs.

Well done, true Cortese style.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-manager-1888-release-exclusive-1794112

Interesting....probably an April fool, but would be pretty cool!

Certainly, but that would be great! Progress to the point of integration with the defectors from the Southern League, could they run the two competitions side by side in the mean time? Managing St Mary's YMA from Inception to the football league, to premier league emergence. Could we right the wrongs of those two early FA Cup finals and be the first non-football league club to win the trophy?

Tinkering with the 2-3-5 formation also looks like fun. Toying with the W-M formation too.

FFS, sat on the train, go to fire up FM13...

Update required. Can't even play in offline mode. A game that costs £30.

**** off steam. Useless piece of ****.

Ha that's exactly what I said before. I used to travel a fair bit so would look forward to playing a few games on long journeys, only to be told steam needed internet connection for something. Posted on here and MLG came back with something borderline rude about most people having internet these days and people who don't should all be shot or something. Then wonders why he gets stick now and again.

Ha that's exactly what I said before. I used to travel a fair bit so would look forward to playing a few games on long journeys, only to be told steam needed internet connection for something. Posted on here and MLG came back with something borderline rude about most people having internet these days and people who don't should all be shot or something. Then wonders why he gets stick now and again.

Well exactly. I have internet. Just not when I am on the train.

I am not paying £5 for an hours internet to get onto a game I have paid for. Not that it would even be able to update on crappy Eastcoast wifi.

The most frustrating thing is, if I had downloaded a hooky copy that didn't need steam, it wouldn't have been an issue. Seeing as I never play online. What exactly is the benefit of Steam to me?

Tempted to just use hacked copies in future.

Does Gaston have 3 for this bear? If not, please change MLG for realism and gaming experience. Can we also have the option where NC just sacks you cause he gets board of you or whatever?

I used to like it when chairmen made you buy certain players, I thought this added to the realism but seems to have been taken out.

sorry mlg i was doing a troll there! Every new Football Manager first thing i do is spend ages checking spellings & birth dates hoping to catch you out! One day I'll getcha!

PS - did you have to double check first or did you instantly know i was lies?

Gents, I've just made a little tactic that you might be interested in...

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_7407204267

"The Pochettino Way"

Based on MP's fast-paced, pressing, attacking tactics that he uses for Saints, this is my second (successful) attempt at a tactic after creating "The Adkins Way" tactic earlier this year. It's not a refinement of the Adkins way tactic per-se, it was done completely from scratch. However, for it to work (and depending on whom you're playing), pre-team talk you'll need to make a few tweaks to see them play as MP has them doing.

Here's the formation and the philosophy:

teaminstructions.jpg

You'll notice that the tactic is attacking. Yes, it can be a bit gung-ho but personally, I always try to be fearless of the opponents (like Mauricio) and go into every tactic with that setting as default. However, it's sometimes worth adapting in-game depending on the scoreline (if you are leading 3-1 and want to defend a lead, contain, control or counter is always a good option to switch to).

Before KO

Opposition Instructions

Highlight all the opposition players on the opposition instructions screen and choose the following:

* Closing Down - Always

* Show Onto Foot - Weaker

oppositioninstructions.jpg

Team Instructions

Either create a "shout" or add these instructions manually using the touchline instructions option before the match:

* Retain Possession

* Push Higher Up

* Hassle Opponents

shouts.jpg

or

touchlineinstructions.jpg

Formation & Player Roles

It's up to you how you line up the players but it's worth rotating your forward quartet to suit fitness and opposition. Due to Puncheon's absence, here's my line up v Swansea at home...

formationm.jpg

You'll also notice that each player has been assigned a specific role. For demonstration purposes, the following players are assigned these duties (plus sub-responsibilities like defend, support and attack - you don't have to add this, it's already done for you!).

GK: Artur Boruc

Role: Goalkeeper

Duty: Defend

LWB: Luke Shaw

Role: Wingback

Duty: Automatic

RWB: Nathaniel Clyne

Role: Wingback

Duty: Automatic

LCB: Maya Yoshida

Role: Central Defender

RCB: Jose Fonte

Role: Central Defender

CM: Morgan Schneiderlin

Role: Ball Winning Midfielder (or Deep Lying Playmaker)

CM: Jack Cork

Role: Box-to-Box Midfielder

Duty: Suppoer

AML: Adam Lallana

Role: Inside Forward

Duty: Support

AMC: Gaston Ramirez

Role: Attacking Midfielder

AMR: Jay Rodriguez

Role: Inside Forward

ST: Rickie Lambert

Role: Target Man (or Deep Lying Forward)

What Will I See?

It's not a full-season tested but the results are impressive. You'll be a free-flowing, attacking, one-touch juggernaut of a team but you'll still concede some goals (a small sacrifice to pay considering the success/results that you'll achieve). They'll be lots of smart one-touch interplay and Schneiderlin will probably pick up a few bookings. However, it's great to watch (better in 2D mode than 3D) and you'll definitely see the resemblances of the real "Pochettino Way" in this virtual tactic. :) Enjoy, and please let me know how you get on.

Other Notable Things You Could Do

* Employ coaches with adventurous/attacking style and closing down as their coaching styles/preferences

* Work on team cohesion, attacking and select "no rest day" before a match. Set training high enough so that it is regarded as "heavy"

* Ensure the youth team also train in the same way as the first and mirror the formation

* Recruit players with high stamina, work rate and teamwork. For offensive players, add creativity and technical to that list.

ENJOY!

Edited by Crab Lungs

Interesting stuff Crabers, how's it working for you?

Also, we have been playing the offside trap as well, even to the extent of cutting the grass differently to help the lino. Any plans to put this in? Do you think it would work? High line and offside trap is usually pretty dodgy on FM. Think MLG buggered up the programming or something.

Well, it was working fine... now it's not :lol:

Might have to refine it a little bit, I think.

I didn't realise that we'd gone that far to implement the offside! Still, any little advantage you can get I guess. As I'm refining the tactic atm, I'll have a look at trying to get it to work - The problem is, Shaw's backside plays everyone on :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just started playing this again with my lower league save - noticed an awful bug with offsides. I've had 3 goals disallowed for offside now in the last 5 matches that were perfectly onside. First time is no biggy, that happens sometimes. I go and rant about it in my post-match press conference and get a touchline ban! Same thing happens again the next week and then in the one after the next one too. Absolutely ridiculous and putting me off the game to be honest, hope FM14 isn't buggy like this.

Being involved in a relegation scrap and going ahead late in the game only to have your goal incorrectly ruled out for offside and then for the other team to go up the other end of the pitch and score is f*cking stupid.

Just started playing this again with my lower league save - noticed an awful bug with offsides. I've had 3 goals disallowed for offside now in the last 5 matches that were perfectly onside. First time is no biggy, that happens sometimes. I go and rant about it in my post-match press conference and get a touchline ban! Same thing happens again the next week and then in the one after the next one too. Absolutely ridiculous and putting me off the game to be honest, hope FM14 isn't buggy like this.

Being involved in a relegation scrap and going ahead late in the game only to have your goal incorrectly ruled out for offside and then for the other team to go up the other end of the pitch and score is f*cking stupid.

Referee mistakes happen in real football, shouldn't they also happen in a simulation of real football?

I'm not sure if that is the case here without seeing it myself, it could well be a bug but just offering an alternative viewpoint. If it does still concern you, report the bug here and put the examples on the FTP...

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

I'm not having a go because of it happening - once is understandable. The problem is that it's happened 3 times in the last 5 games and they've all cost me points. The other team has scored within minutes of it happening each time as well, which means i've lost 6 on the trot (just beaten Havant & Waterlooville 5-1 though so not all bad!).

I understand that realism is fine, but that level of frequency takes the p!ss when you're in a relegation scrap.

Don't mention god on a MLG thread, he'll have another religion breakdown like he did on Xmas eve. Called the baby Jesus a **** or something. Nearly got thrown out of the nativity play and caused a storm in the lounge. Nobody wants to open that can of religious works again!

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

Could not get into this series. Tried all sorts but just got fed up easily.

Hoping I can rekindle my FM addiction with 2014. Back to Champ Manager 01/02 to pinch Kallstrom, Selakovic, To Madeira, Maxim Tsgalkio and Jason McAteer!

Can anybody help? The default skin has gone pale and there are no boxes around the text, help would be much appreciated. I would PM MLG but can't be arsed with £5 pound a year.

If all else fails, move your saved game, tactics etc to a C drive folder and then reinstall with default settings.

or download a new skin and use that.

Tried that with the Stkelo and it still didn't work.

If all else fails, move your saved game, tactics etc to a C drive folder and then reinstall with default settings.

Don't think I can do that I downloaded it off Steam and it took 1 hour last time. :uhoh:

• 1 month later...
Why am I so bad at this game? Still playing FM12. Sacked at Spurs, 19th after 15 games so fair enough. My team, in 4-2-3-1 was Boruc, Baines, Dawson, Jagielka, Walker, Sandro, Fellaini, Bale, Hazard, Gotze, Falcao.

All fit, all fairly happy before the losing, all training at 4 stars. 3rd season in, did ok but nowhere near as well as I should have first 2 seasons, but this stuff always happens. In the Europa league they performed as you'd expect or better, winning all 6 and scoring a ridiculous 29 goals. In the league I even lost 8-1 at home to west ham and 7-0 at wolves, conceding 3+ most weeks.

This is where I lose interest in the game. Losing runs would be fine, but a team like that getting destroyed every week just doesn't happen.

4231 is difficult as you got to get the tactics spot on, often the full backs and CMs go forward leaving you exposed, I had an unreal 4231 team, was doing ok in europe but pants in the prem. i switched to 442 and it all clicked

4231 is difficult as you got to get the tactics spot on, often the full backs and CMs go forward leaving you exposed, I had an unreal 4231 team, was doing ok in europe but pants in the prem. i switched to 442 and it all clicked

The 4-2-3-1 formation is just overthinking it. I have never had a better formation than 4-4-2, with the two wingers playing in AMR/L positions.

I've been having a whale of a time extending the Wales Extension to include the Gwent County Divisions 1-3 and Newport & District Prem X,Y and 1,2,3, have set up some "Reputation 1" leagues...

The latter is the 11th tier of Welsh football, I have played in it and it's worse than all but the very worst of Southampton Saturday Junior 5, the usual bunches of pub teams and comedy names.

About to expand to include the Gwent Central, North and East divisions (Tiers 8-10), all teams are right, badges where I can get them, parks pitches added with coordinates and correct kits where they can be found. I'm not creating the actual players though, that would be mental.

I have some queries... also posted on the SI forums...

1) All my County league (Wales Tier 5-7) sides immediately want to expand their "parks pitches with a barrier around them", and some even build new stadiums, which is an absolutely pain and completely unrealistic, as well as annoying when I've gone to the trouble of geolocating their parks pitch and creating it in game (only for them to move within 2 months), Is there a way to stop them from all immediately adding to capacity / getting new stadiums ? Can you, say, set "attendance" to like 10 people and top attendance to not many more (and fewer than the capacity) and does that stop it ? Or fixing the last update, or setting a long-distant future stadium update to prevent interim moves?

2) They are ALL moving grounds for months on end in order to add 10 seats, that's tangibly stupid anyway, you should be able to expand from nothing much to a couple of hundred (or even a thousand) without ground moving.

3) There needs to be a limit on how many teams can ground share at the same time, I had about 7 Newport teams all playing at the same ground due to all of the relocations from their parks pitches going on - again unrealistic and silly. Can it be worked around by adding a "nearby stadium" setting on the stadium? That possibly steers the relocation to the "nearby stadium", but at the same time, they shouldn't ALL be able to play at the same place anyway, the pitch doesn't even seem to be suffering and I'm not sure if the fixtures are all happening on the same day at the same location, etc.

4) A "can't expand stadium" or "can't move grounds" option would be nice, works for hedged-in teams as well as those not allowed or not able to expand.

Other stuff

5) Is there ANY way to process "future name changes" for clubs - there are a load of 2012 teams changing names and I either have to have them starting with their new name or keeping their old name. I tried editing an LNC file in Steam Apps...1330/data/all AFTER the initial season then refreshing the skin but it doesn't do anything to the names which are obviously set on the initial game start up. I just want to be able to edit team names or set them to change.

6) Llanelli and Barry Town in Wales - now all but dead and still in Wales' top 2 divisions in 2013 - any legitimate way of killing teams stone dead mid-season with coded-in "withdraw from league" or "liquidation" that can be controlled by the user without having to use 3rd party "live" editing ?

Or better, has anyone managed to set up a realistic Llanelli model that has them suddenly getting massively into millions of debt when sugar daddy leaves and folding midseason, or somehow managed to get Barry's then-owner to hate his own club and get them to resign from the League (I tried setting Barry Town in my created Chairman Stuart Lovering's "disliked clubs" as well as setting the manager as disliked by him), but they plod on...

I've been having a whale of a time extending the Wales Extension to include the Gwent County Divisions 1-3 and Newport & District Prem X,Y and 1,2,3, have set up some "Reputation 1" leagues...

The latter is the 11th tier of Welsh football, I have played in it and it's worse than all but the very worst of Southampton Saturday Junior 5, the usual bunches of pub teams and comedy names.

About to expand to include the Gwent Central, North and East divisions (Tiers 8-10), all teams are right, badges where I can get them, parks pitches added with coordinates and correct kits where they can be found. I'm not creating the actual players though, that would be mental.

I have some queries... also posted on the SI forums...

1) All my County league (Wales Tier 5-7) sides immediately want to expand their "parks pitches with a barrier around them", and some even build new stadiums, which is an absolutely pain and completely unrealistic, as well as annoying when I've gone to the trouble of geolocating their parks pitch and creating it in game (only for them to move within 2 months), Is there a way to stop them from all immediately adding to capacity / getting new stadiums ? Can you, say, set "attendance" to like 10 people and top attendance to not many more (and fewer than the capacity) and does that stop it ? Or fixing the last update, or setting a long-distant future stadium update to prevent interim moves?

2) They are ALL moving grounds for months on end in order to add 10 seats, that's tangibly stupid anyway, you should be able to expand from nothing much to a couple of hundred (or even a thousand) without ground moving.

3) There needs to be a limit on how many teams can ground share at the same time, I had about 7 Newport teams all playing at the same ground due to all of the relocations from their parks pitches going on - again unrealistic and silly. Can it be worked around by adding a "nearby stadium" setting on the stadium? That possibly steers the relocation to the "nearby stadium", but at the same time, they shouldn't ALL be able to play at the same place anyway, the pitch doesn't even seem to be suffering and I'm not sure if the fixtures are all happening on the same day at the same location, etc.

4) A "can't expand stadium" or "can't move grounds" option would be nice, works for hedged-in teams as well as those not allowed or not able to expand.

Other stuff

5) Is there ANY way to process "future name changes" for clubs - there are a load of 2012 teams changing names and I either have to have them starting with their new name or keeping their old name. I tried editing an LNC file in Steam Apps...1330/data/all AFTER the initial season then refreshing the skin but it doesn't do anything to the names which are obviously set on the initial game start up. I just want to be able to edit team names or set them to change.

6) Llanelli and Barry Town in Wales - now all but dead and still in Wales' top 2 divisions in 2013 - any legitimate way of killing teams stone dead mid-season with coded-in "withdraw from league" or "liquidation" that can be controlled by the user without having to use 3rd party "live" editing ?

Or better, has anyone managed to set up a realistic Llanelli model that has them suddenly getting massively into millions of debt when sugar daddy leaves and folding midseason, or somehow managed to get Barry's then-owner to hate his own club and get them to resign from the League (I tried setting Barry Town in my created Chairman Stuart Lovering's "disliked clubs" as well as setting the manager as disliked by him), but they plod on...

Think I'd like to have a gp with your database. Sounds mental.