The Cost OF Goodbye

Gemmel

Not all of these people would have got big payoffs, (although some off them certainly would have) and there is obviously grey areas as to whether some of them recieved anything at all.

There are quite a few missing from the coaching side of things, that I couldnt remember, but I was thinking about how much cash has walked out of ST Mary's based on originally flawed decisions, politics and boardroom upheaval.

Feel Free to add the ones I've missed - I hate to think what the total amount comes to.

Dave Merrington

Dave Jones

Stuart Gray

Steve Wigley

Christian Damino

Dennis Rolfe

Paul Sturrock

Gordan Strachan (Had his contract paid up and he left early)

Nigel Pearson

Mick Wandsworth

Dennis Wise

Dave Bassett

Jason Dodd

John Gorman

Rupert Lowe

Andrew Cowen

Mike Richards

Simon Clifford

Clive Woodwood

Jim Hone

Dulieu

Andy Oldknow

Lee Hoo’s

Edited by Gemmel

Not all of these people would have got big payoffs, (although some off them certainly would have) and there is obviously grey areas as to whether some of them recieved anything at all.

There are quite a few missing from the coaching side of things, that I couldnt remember, but I was thinking about how much cash has walked out of ST Mary's based on originally flawed decisions, politics and boardroom upheaval.

Feel Free to add the ones I've missed - I hate to think what the total amount comes to.

Dave Merrington

Dave Jones

Stuart Gray

Steve Wigley

Christian Damino

Dennis Rolfe

Paul Sturrock

Gordan Strachan (Had his contract paid up and he left early)

Nigel Pearson

Mick Wandsworth

Dennis Wise

Dave Bassett

Jason Dodd

John Gorman

Rupert Lowe

Andrew Cowen

Mike Richards

Simon Clifford

Clive Woodwood

Mike wilde

Jim Hone

Dulieu

Andy Oldknow

Lee Hoo’s

Uncle Tom Cobbley and all !!!

Talk about scraping the barrell for things to criticise the club for!

I'm sure if you talked to any football fan in the country he too could reel off a list as long as your arm of members of backroom and coaching staff that has passed through the doors in the past decade all of who will have been paid up in full when they were deemed surplus to requirements.....

I should like someone to explain to me just why you think M Wilde and M Richards would have been paid off in any way, shape or form.If you're going down that nonense road you'd have too put L Crouch,M Corbett, K Wiseman etc

etc. They were honorary directors (as far as I know) who took no emolument whatsoever (may have been expense notes though) from the club.

I should like someone to explain to me just why you think M Wilde and M Richards would have been paid off in any way, shape or form.If you're going down that nonense road you'd have too put L Crouch,M Corbett, K Wiseman etc

etc. They were honorary directors (as far as I know) who took no emolument whatsoever (may have been expense notes though) from the club.

If we're talking expense notes then we'll have to include Lawrie 'The Wallet' McMoneyme in the list.

I'm sure if you talked to any football fan in the country he too could reel off a list as long as your arm of members of backroom and coaching staff that has passed through the doors in the past decade all of who will have been paid up in full when they were deemed surplus to requirements.....

I wonder what Newcastle fans are thinking.

I thought Wilde was a paid director first time round - which is incorrect. I have removed him.

Here's an Echo piece by Mike Richards, don't think he's ever been paid off though.

It might well serve for a few people to read through this piece, written in June 2006 .

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/799149.mike_richards_statement_7th_june_2006/

I wish some one would pay him off and the rest of the mob....Put him in the chair..your Lowey must be having a larf..Get rid of the lot...There a laughing stock..

Business men....No chance.

Football men.....No chance.

The end is nigh...and if this has any legs...then Lowey really is having his final revenge on the real fans.

Lawrie 'The Wallet' McMoneyme

Laurie the Securicor wagon you mean.

What witty little ditty can you two come up with that I can call Lowe?????

Anything to humour me when I remember the fact he has personally drawn a fair few million from the Club (and that's personally drawn, as opposed to the tens of millions his poor decisions cost the Club)?????

Maybe something to honour his share of the 600 grand pay off in 2006 (a pay off that was effectively because he got the elbow).

Lovely jubbly.

Come on, with the wit of you two combined it shouldn't be that difficult.

go on then once bitterne, you start talking. Your alwyas the man backing up the creepe that is Lowe, you think there is a club that has a list of failed, sacked, walked away etc staff the same as sfc, name it, post the club, chairman etc that compares to Lowe!!

go on then once bitterne, you start talking. Your alwyas the man backing up the creepe that is Lowe, you think there is a club that has a list of failed, sacked, walked away etc staff the same as sfc, name it, post the club, chairman etc that compares to Lowe!!

Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Leicester City, Bradford City, Portsmouth, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, AFC Sunderland, Manchester City, Wimbledon, Leeds United, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Coventry City.

I think CB Fry has answered your question but to put another spin on it Leicester under Milan Manderic had five managers in a year before Pearson took over, Rob Kelly, Nigel Worthington, Martin Allen, Gary Megson and Ian Holloway. I think that beats Lowe by a country mile.

I think CB Fry has answered your question but to put another spin on it Leicester under Milan Manderic had five managers in a year before Pearson took over, Rob Kelly, Nigel Worthington, Martin Allen, Gary Megson and Ian Holloway. I think that beats Lowe by a country mile.

There's one slight difference - Milan pocketed the Bill at Leicester. The money only goes one way with Lowe.

There's no doubt that that turnover of managers is probably going to ****k you over in the long term and Mandaric is certainly not a shining example of what I would call a good Chairman (although he isn't shy of putting his hand in his pocket!!!).

That said, just because Mandaric is mental doesn't mean therefore that Lowe is fantastic. In fact, his record of managerial cokc ups (particularly in that fateful relegation season) ****uked us over and his choice of the "revolutionary coaching set up" isn't looking too clever either.

There's no doubt that that turnover of managers is probably going to ****k you over in the long term and Mandaric is certainly not a shining example of what I would call a good Chairman (although he isn't shy of putting his hand in his pocket!!!).

That said, just because Mandaric is mental doesn't mean therefore that Lowe is fantastic. In fact, his record of managerial cokc ups (particularly in that fateful relegation season) ****uked us over and his choice of the "revolutionary coaching set up" isn't looking too clever either.

Quite, but the point is we are not uniquely hard done by as some Saints fans genuinely believe.

The fact that St Jason threw out the question about "name one other club that has got through staff like Saints have" like he thought it was a really hard question to answer says it all.

Lowe has a lot to answer for, especially this season, and you know I want him gone.

But plenty of other clubs are currently fu ck ed and have done it very well (badly) thank you without the help of Rupert Lowe in the last ten years. The arse end of last season's (and this season's) CCC table will show you that.

We're never going to move on until people accept that, because whoever comes in next may not be a saviour purely because he isn't Lowe. Whoever it is could be a right plank.

The fact that other clubs have wasted money just like us makes it alright then.

Time corprorate law was changed to penalise arsehole directors like Lowe etc.

Behaviour like this is not just incompetence,but gross negligence,that has destroyed the value of shareholdings in the enterprise and will eventually leave many creditors out of pocket at no fault of themselves.

The fact that directors can act this way with impugnity is ridiculous.

Here's an Echo piece by Mike Richards, don't think he's ever been paid off though.

It might well serve for a few people to read through this piece, written in June 2006 .

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/799149.mike_richards_statement_7th_june_2006/

Thanks for posting the link of that piece by Michael Richards to read again. It was quite instructive in light of developments since. Some interesting little snippets....

Rupert would genuinely, I believe, step down if he believed it was in the best interests of the club, as would all of us who have been involved as both executives and non executives over the years.

Time to step down now then, Rupert and cronies, in the best interests of the club. It is the only course available that will unify the club. Your very presence has caused the most division in our long history.

We have all experienced the tough decisions in deciding we could not afford the team strengthening we would like to see as fans.

Not much changed there, then.

The proposed "new board" might prove to be very successful given time but we do not have that time.

We didn't have the time then and we don't have it now either, although this is supposed to be a long term strategy, long term being until the january sales, when it is back to square one again.

The success of Southampton Football Club over this past many years has been through evolution not revolution.

So what was the trumpet fanfare about this time around when Lowe introduced the "revolutionary" new total football concept? Bit of an about turn, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

It may be that changes are needed but we should not chop the head off' the club and replace it with unknown quantities in this vital year.

So we chop off the head metaphorically by replacing both the former board and their manager and install instead two former failed chairmen and two foreign coaches with nil experience in English football, let alone at this level, sell off the experienced players and replace them with the club's youth team. An ideal alliance of a known quantity on the board, but with a record of failure, allied with the unknown quantities in management and the team. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice to have Mike Richard's updated perspective on all this? Or perhaps he is a poster on here who already has given his current opinions. I wonder what his user name might be?

Fair point mate, my only reply to this would be that Mandaric is financing his mistakes with his own money, its his club, lock stock and 2 smoking barrels!

Ps. which club can you see making the promised land first??

Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Leicester City, Bradford City, Portsmouth, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, AFC Sunderland, Manchester City, Wimbledon, Leeds United, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Coventry City.

Again another fair point, i would just hi-light that 6 of the sides listed are or have been in a lower league than us because of all the manager merry go round. Another 9 are bankrolled by wealthy foriegners so the money they are blowing on said merry go round does not hurt the club itself.

Thanks for posting the link of that piece by Michael Richards to read again. It was quite instructive in light of developments since. Some interesting little snippets....

Rupert would genuinely, I believe, step down if he believed it was in the best interests of the club, as would all of us who have been involved as both executives and non executives over the years.

Time to step down now then, Rupert and cronies, in the best interests of the club. It is the only course available that will unify the club. Your very presence has caused the most division in our long history.

We have all experienced the tough decisions in deciding we could not afford the team strengthening we would like to see as fans.

Not much changed there, then.

The proposed "new board" might prove to be very successful given time but we do not have that time.

We didn't have the time then and we don't have it now either, although this is supposed to be a long term strategy, long term being until the january sales, when it is back to square one again.

The success of Southampton Football Club over this past many years has been through evolution not revolution.

So what was the trumpet fanfare about this time around when Lowe introduced the "revolutionary" new total football concept? Bit of an about turn, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

It may be that changes are needed but we should not chop the head off' the club and replace it with unknown quantities in this vital year.

So we chop off the head metaphorically by replacing both the former board and their manager and install instead two former failed chairmen and two foreign coaches with nil experience in English football, let alone at this level, sell off the experienced players and replace them with the club's youth team. An ideal alliance of a known quantity on the board, but with a record of failure, allied with the unknown quantities in management and the team. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice to have Mike Richard's updated perspective on all this? Or perhaps he is a poster on here who already has given his current opinions. I wonder what his user name might be?

He sits in the stands most home games, he's an approachable guy, someone could ask him.Don't think he does betting tips though.

all of the above appeared to be funded by the owners , rather than SLH where the owners just take out

Quite, but the point is we are not uniquely hard done by as some Saints fans genuinely believe.

The fact that St Jason threw out the question about "name one other club that has got through staff like Saints have" like he thought it was a really hard question to answer says it all.

Lowe has a lot to answer for, especially this season, and you know I want him gone.

But plenty of other clubs are currently fu ck ed and have done it very well (badly) thank you without the help of Rupert Lowe in the last ten years. The arse end of last season's (and this season's) CCC table will show you that.

We're never going to move on until people accept that, because whoever comes in next may not be a saviour purely because he isn't Lowe. Whoever it is could be a right plank.

Very true CB but someone did point out above that Chairman of other clubs have taken the cost of some of those dismissals - Sir Jack Hayward at Wolves for example. Our various boards should have summoned Rupert after the debacles of 04/05 and said "this is costing the company a lot of wasted money, if you can't get your recruitment right we'll appoint someone else to do it". The toads at the time of course never had the bottle to do that.

With a track record like Rupert, a board with any gravitas would have fired him long ago and found someone to take his 6% off of him. But then, if you are Guy Askham or Mike Wilde, it's nice to have Rupert to take all the fans' stick. For that, I do admire Rupert because he will front up. I want him gone but I'd rather do business with him than jellyfish like Wilde or Askham.

Those clubs, with only a couple of exceptions, are also doing hideously badly and a number have been into administration. Those Chairmen have also walked the plank, as Rupert should have done in 04/05. Even if that offer to quit was genuine, the retards left behind on the board couldn't have made a cup of tea without Rupert telling them how to make it. Rupert didn't even consult with them when appointing Wigley, that's how much he thought of them as people and business acumens!

What witty little ditty can you two come up with that I can call Lowe?????

Anything to humour me when I remember the fact he has personally drawn a fair few million from the Club (and that's personally drawn, as opposed to the tens of millions his poor decisions cost the Club)?????

Maybe something to honour his share of the 600 grand pay off in 2006 (a pay off that was effectively because he got the elbow).

Lovely jubbly.

Come on, with the wit of you two combined it shouldn't be that difficult.

Ouch! That's what I would call a swift kick in the gooleys for OB and WC:)

Actually going through those clubs, although many have fallen on hard times for a multitude of differing reasons, how many have gone through shedloads of managers in the same way we have (and also had the costs of change that this thread alluded to)????

Sheff Weds (Would certainly say mismanaged with all the costs of those foreign premiership stars carbone etc, plus they've gone through about 8 managers in 10 years)

Derby County (From Pickering to Sleighthome & others fcugking up, along with 7 managers in the last ten years, you woould argue they've been mismanaged).

Leicester (the last club to use the administration option to their benefit and not be penalised has certainly gone through managers. Not overly sure of mismanagement prior to going in to Administration, but Milan has installd the revolving managerial door).

Bradford (Geoffrey Richmond and his overspending wrecked the club)

Portsmouth (enough said)

Spurs (6 managers in 10 years, but not sure they've been mismanaged to the same extent as we have, although you could argue they have underperformed)

Newcastle (once again not really sure of mismanaged as from Hall through to Shepherd they've raised the cash, 6 managers in 10 years)

Sunderland (3 managers in ten years & not sure of massive mismanagement, just suffering from falling out of top flight).

We've had 10 managers over the last ten years and a few boardroom reshuffles and I'm bored now!!!!!!!!!!

Actually going through those clubs, although many have fallen on hard times for a multitude of differing reasons, how many have gone through shedloads of managers in the same way we have (and also had the costs of change that this thread alluded to)????

Sheff Weds (Would certainly say mismanaged with all the costs of those foreign premiership stars carbone etc, plus they've gone through about 8 managers in 10 years)

Derby County (From Pickering to Sleighthome & others fcugking up, along with 7 managers in the last ten years, you woould argue they've been mismanaged).

Leicester (the last club to use the administration option to their benefit and not be penalised has certainly gone through managers. Not overly sure of mismanagement prior to going in to Administration, but Milan has installd the revolving managerial door).

Bradford (Geoffrey Richmond and his overspending wrecked the club)

Portsmouth (enough said)

Spurs (6 managers in 10 years, but not sure they've been mismanaged to the same extent as we have, although you could argue they have underperformed)

Newcastle (once again not really sure of mismanaged as from Hall through to Shepherd they've raised the cash, 6 managers in 10 years)

Sunderland (3 managers in ten years & not sure of massive mismanagement, just suffering from falling out of top flight).

We've had 10 managers over the last ten years and a few boardroom reshuffles and I'm bored now!!!!!!!!!!

The original post was about look how many staff we've got through and some people genuinely believe that our situation vis-a-vis staff ins and outs is somehow unique.

And the original poster is including the boardroom bods as well, so if you are going to let Sunderland off the hook as some model club because they had Peter Reid for so long, or whatever, then maybe you should look at two (three?) senior members of the SFC/SLH management team that were there from 1997 to 2006!!I'd like to see the boardroom movements in all those listed clubs in the comparable time.

How's that for "stability"!

Thought not.;)

He sits in the stands most home games, he's an approachable guy, someone could ask him.Don't think he does betting tips though.

I've actually met him a couple of times, though he wouldn't know me from Adam. As you say, nothing wrong with him on one to one basis. It's just his association with Askham, the dodgey £1 share dealings, the reverse takeover, why he keeps Lowe in power and all that mullarkey that I'm not keen about

The original post was about look how many staff we've got through and some people genuinely believe that our situation vis-a-vis staff ins and outs is somehow unique.

And the original poster is including the boardroom bods as well, so if you are going to let Sunderland off the hook as some model club because they had Peter Reid for so long, or whatever, then maybe you should look at two (three?) senior members of the SFC/SLH management team that were there from 1997 to 2006!!I'd like to see the boardroom movements in all those listed clubs in the comparable time.

How's that for "stability"!

Thought not.;)

Where I knew about boardroom politics and reshuffles I put it down (Derby & Leicester for starters), but I'm sure Sunderland had Murray through the early days and then on to Quinn and his consortium (of course I dont knowall the ins and outs of clubs).

We were stable in the boardroom for 9 or so years, although of course many would liken it to a stable dictatorship;) (dont get too wound up there, just tongue in cheek).

Of course we're not unique and there are probably quite a few teams whohave gone through managers and coaches, but I think we must be up there with the worst of them for going through managers and the backroom staff that goes along with it (as well as the changes in playing personnel brought upon by the different managers having their favourite players and favourite playing styles).

I've actually met him a couple of times, though he wouldn't know me from Adam. As you say, nothing wrong with him on one to one basis. It's just his association with Askham, the dodgey £1 share dealings, the reverse takeover, why he keeps Lowe in power and all that mullarkey that I'm not keen about
right on, askham and his greedy hand shake mates started all this s##t we are in ,credit crunch askham ,dont think so.