Groundsharing - it's time has come...

Guided Missile

...someone from SLH, please sit down with the Pompey board and discuss this issue, FFS.

Surely Fratton Park can be sold for housing when the property market recovers, and this will help Pompey.

Renting St. Mary's to Pompey for their home games will also help us. Increased matchday income all round and both clubs will stand a far better chance of surviving the economies of football and yet....I have a feeling this eminently sensible solution to the financial problem facing both clubs will die at the feet of knuckle dragging, rabid, shortsighted fanatics.

Surely if AC and Inter Milan can share grounds, we can. Jeez, for the local derby between our clubs we would sell 45,000 tickets, more than paying for the added security.

In fact, a lot of people from the M27 corridor from Chichester to Bournemouth, from the M3 corridor from Southampton to Basingstoke would go every week to see both teams. 45,000 capacity would be needed...and we may even end up with both clubs dominating the Premiership. Who knows?

You only have to look at the proposed ground share with Liverpool and Everton to see how emotive this can be, just can't see it happening, too much water under the bridge, Roma - Lazio, the two Milans but them and us ??? Ground shareing exists but does it really work ?

Edited by INFLUENCED.COM

Afraid not, GM. We're not even two clubs in the same city, so i can't see it ever being a possible. To put it another way, if there was a great stadium at portsmouth, or reading for that matter, would you want to share? Absolutely not, except possibly as a last resort if things go belly up.

John, would you really want to go and watch Saints home games if they were in Fratton ?
If Fratton was a venue like St. Marys and the alternative was Saints going out of business, I could live with the 30 minute train ride. Christ, most London fans have far further to go to see their local team. A mate of mine lives in Burridge and is a ST holder at Stamford Bridge.

I have two words, to finish on....San Siro

I think the only time this would have been possible is befor SMS was built - a Solent Stadium off the M27 - bit like Bayern Munich and 1860 - 60K with standing! - all their history ****** is just that - most clubs have played at vairous grounds as have we and its just the next chapter in a clubs history - and Pompey and Saints shared during the war - lets not forget that the so called 'rivalry' that manifests itself nowadays has really only been firce since the late 60's/70's - going abck before that to the dyas of flatcpas and rattles and many from the area went to watch BOTH sides depending on who was at home. Think Liverpool and Everton should go for it - instead of both spending 300mil + they would each save 150mil - seems daft not to really. If the 'fans' really are the club - the mantra of the die hards, then surely where they stand, sit or support is less important than them being there?

I think this is an excellent idea. Many younger supporters will not remember the days when Southamton fans also supported Pompey as their second team, Bournemouth and Aldershot being third and fourth. It was Hampshire versus the rest!

GM's ideas grate with many (me included) but often his voice is a dose of unpalatable reality.

The big question to answer ourselves is whether sleeping with the enemy would not only save us from administration, but also enable Saints to keep our best players -and even rebuild a team capable of promotion with decent strikers and defenders. What a difference that would make.

(Mind you, if you ask me whether I would attend ground-sharing with Pompey at Fratton Park or their new to-be-built stadium - if it goes ahead- that would be another matter! I doubt it. But would that be better than having no Saints at all? Hmm)

With administration under Lowe's negative policies creeping closer, unthinkable decisions have to be addressed by all of us.

If Fratton was a venue like St. Marys and the alternative was Saints going out of business, I could live with the 30 minute train ride. Christ, most London fans have far further to go to see their local team. A mate of mine lives in Burridge and is a ST holder at Stamford Bridge.

Yes, but that's two teams from the same city, that's where half the problem lies.

If it were a case of Romsey Rover's ground sharing with Botley Blue 'n' White Socks, then you might have a valid case.

Most of the regulars at SMS probably use local public transport, or just walk to the stadium. Imagine upwards of 20,000 fans trying to get to SMS by car or on the trains. Aside from the mass brawls at central station, with Saints fans off to away games, that is just completely impractical.

I too think it's an excellent idea.

The policing and transport problems will only be temporary, as Pompey fans will quickly realise on their regular journeys from their favelas to our gold-paved streets that they're much better off being into Saints supporters.

Not only are those two teams in the same city, but the stadium is not owned by either team so therefore it is a 'neutral' ground. A totally different kettle of fish compared to Saints and Pompey groundsharing unless Hampshire County Council want to build a new stadium for the use of both clubs.

Too late now.

A ground between the cities I personally would be in favour of. Provided their end, became the away end when we were at home and visa versa.

Problem is the majority of both sides of the divide would be against it. The rows would make the Pro Lowe/Anti Lowe arguements seem like childs play.........

Anyone know if Pompey's proposed new stadium near the M27 is in danger of not going ahead because of the credit crunch and their own financial difficulties?

Which plan is that ? On the front page of the News today, the headline is 'Is the dream over before it begun' or something like that. Basically saying that the proposed stadium to be built in the docks is to be shelved. Something to do with the shopping retail plans affecting the city centre trade. Didn't have time to read the rest of it as I was reading it while buying petrol.

Thier failed proposed training ground at Titchfield is still up for sale though. £1.75m if your interested.

...someone from SLH, please sit down with the Pompey board and discuss this issue, FFS.

Surely Fratton Park can be sold for housing when the property market recovers, and this will help Pompey.

Renting St. Mary's to Pompey for their home games will also help us. Increased matchday income all round and both clubs will stand a far better chance of surviving the economies of football and yet....I have a feeling this eminently sensible solution to the financial problem facing both clubs will die at the feet of knuckle dragging, rabid, shortsighted fanatics.

Surely if AC and Inter Milan can share grounds, we can. Jeez, for the local derby between our clubs we would sell 45,000 tickets, more than paying for the added security.

In fact, a lot of people from the M27 corridor from Chichester to Bournemouth, from the M3 corridor from Southampton to Basingstoke would go every week to see both teams. 45,000 capacity would be needed...and we may even end up with both clubs dominating the Premiership. Who knows?

what are you on i need some.

I am neither pro or against, but Brighton did ground share with Gillingham, which is bloody miles away. For them it was needs must.....

Having said this, would it have worked if they had ground shared with Palace????? (which would have been much easier to get to).

Rivals sharing grounds works OK when they are based in the same city - they share the city and so why not share the ground?

Rival clubs from different cities is harder to make work.

If pompey smash up their own town after a local derby, imagine what 20,000 would do to Southampton after being "defeated at home".

Have you ever been to Milan? The traffic and transportation issues in that city are 10 times worse than getting from Pompey to Southampton.

But both sets of supporters are within Milan. Most can probably get their by walking or on a short bus/tram ride. Whatever the public transport system is in Milan.

Too late now.

A ground between the cities I personally would be in favour of. Provided their end, became the away end when we were at home and visa versa.

Problem is the majority of both sides of the divide would be against it. The rows would make the Pro Lowe/Anti Lowe arguements seem like childs play.........

Since when did the away fans get half of a stadium?

Not only are those two teams in the same city, but the stadium is not owned by either team so therefore it is a 'neutral' ground. A totally different kettle of fish compared to Saints and Pompey groundsharing unless Hampshire County Council want to build a new stadium for the use of both clubs.

Not a real problem. St. Mary's is sold to a property holding company, which holds two long term leases to each club. On the back of the value of these leases, which are related to the attendance figures, the property holding company finances the stadium expansion to hold 42,500 and builds a railway station next to the ground with regular services to London, Portsmouth and Bournemouth on match days. The holding company benefits from concession sales and stadium events such as an Abba reunion and both clubs are insulated from the capital cost of the stadium and the chance of administration, as you can't be put into administration by the landlord and your expenditure is related to the attendance, ie less for Saints, more for Pompey.

The most important question has yet to be asked if we groundshared with them lot down the road . . .

What colour would the seats be painted? :p

Red, white and blue. Very patriotic, and blue is often our away colour.

'Saints' painted on one side and 'Hello Sailor' on the other.

I actually agree with GM, now there is a first.

Pompey cannot afford their new ground so why not share? It would halve our stadium costs and maybe free up cash for an expansion.

Might even keep us out of administration.

£2m extra for players wages a year would be very handy.

For those with poor eyesight. Watch Pompey?? now your definately on a wind up. Barmy army has given way to barmy ideas.

I've watched Pompey away several times.

But i've always sat with the home fans.;)

The same San Siro that Inter are planning to leave, that has problems with the condition of the pitch because its used too much, a ground that Inter do not feel at home even though they have been there since the the 40's and AC fans can't wait to get rid of them.

In our case what is so eminently sensible about playing in another city, it almost killed of Brighton and Charlton. I was at Charlton (not in the ground unfortunatly) the night they got back to the Valley, the noise when the team ran out made the hairs on your neck stand up.

It doesn't happen in London, Nottingham, Sheffiled, Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester etc, even Bristol Rovers didn't share with City when they needed to. So no thanks.

in a word.. NO