Groundsharing - it's time has come...

Guided Missile

While we're on the subject. ground sharing between Saints, Pompey and Bournemouth really makes cents. To that we could allow the likes of Swindon to ground share Staplewood.

An investment in a Rapid Rail link along the south coast to link up with St Mary's is really what's needed for such a project ever to see the light of day.

And Southamptonshire is one city for the poster who said we need to be in the same city. 20 miles is no distant to travel for many football supporters across the globe.

...someone from SLH, please sit down with the Pompey board and discuss this issue, FFS.

Surely Fratton Park can be sold for housing when the property market recovers, and this will help Pompey.

Renting St. Mary's to Pompey for their home games will also help us. Increased matchday income all round and both clubs will stand a far better chance of surviving the economies of football and yet....I have a feeling this eminently sensible solution to the financial problem facing both clubs will die at the feet of knuckle dragging, rabid, shortsighted fanatics.

Surely if AC and Inter Milan can share grounds, we can. Jeez, for the local derby between our clubs we would sell 45,000 tickets, more than paying for the added security.

In fact, a lot of people from the M27 corridor from Chichester to Bournemouth, from the M3 corridor from Southampton to Basingstoke would go every week to see both teams. 45,000 capacity would be needed...and we may even end up with both clubs dominating the Premiership. Who knows?

Did you really expect this to be taken seriously? or is it just something to make us laugh?

The chance was missed about 10 years ago and there isn't any chance of turning back the clock. A shared ground near Fareham (Solent City) was mooted if you remember. It would have made more sense then and would have been on neutral territory, so that both sets of fans could effectively forget about the others on their match days. Not sure waht colours the seats would have been? Possibly mauve?

...someone from SLH, please sit down with the Pompey board and discuss this issue, FFS.

Surely Fratton Park can be sold for housing when the property market recovers, and this will help Pompey.

Renting St. Mary's to Pompey for their home games will also help us. Increased matchday income all round and both clubs will stand a far better chance of surviving the economies of football and yet....I have a feeling this eminently sensible solution to the financial problem facing both clubs will die at the feet of knuckle dragging, rabid, shortsighted fanatics.

Surely if AC and Inter Milan can share grounds, we can. Jeez, for the local derby between our clubs we would sell 45,000 tickets, more than paying for the added security.

In fact, a lot of people from the M27 corridor from Chichester to Bournemouth, from the M3 corridor from Southampton to Basingstoke would go every week to see both teams. 45,000 capacity would be needed...and we may even end up with both clubs dominating the Premiership. Who knows?

jeez ive read some stupid sh1t on here but surely this takes the fvcking biscuit.

think about it...............20k skates let loose in town every fortnight,thats if they actually turn up.would you travel to pompey for every home game?........no? then i doubt they would travel here.

ac and inter are actually based in the same city,a bit like everton and liverpool, nothing like saints and pompey.

come on people start thinking before posting pointless sh1t.it will never ever happen.

The chance was missed about 10 years ago and there isn't any chance of turning back the clock. A shared ground near Fareham (Solent City) was mooted if you remember. It would have made more sense then and would have been on neutral territory, so that both sets of fans could effectively forget about the others on their match days. Not sure waht colours the seats would have been? Possibly mauve?

It was a w#nk idea then and still is.

Think you should lay off the Cobra beer GM

What everyone forgets or doesnt realise is that the two sets of Milan fans hate sharing a ground, and AC has even looked into building its own

But sit in the home end one week and the away section the other.

The other problem with this idea is that the cleaning bill after the Bell Ringer attended would be too much to make it worthwhile

God, could you imagine having to share a seat with that ***t every other week? Even fellow Skates wouldn't do that!!

jeez ive read some stupid sh1t on here but surely this takes the fvcking biscuit.

think about it...............20k skates let loose in town every fortnight,thats if they actually turn up.would you travel to pompey for every home game?........no? then i doubt they would travel here.

ac and inter are actually based in the same city,a bit like everton and liverpool, nothing like saints and pompey.

come on people start thinking before posting pointless sh1t.it will never ever happen.

P15sed up or attention seeking?????

I'll let you decide!!!!!!

Love the bit with the sign off of SAN SIRO which is in Milan. AC Milan and Internazionale Milano sort of ruin that line of argument :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

I contend that my idea is a better one than Pompey's current brainwave:

In October 2007, Portsmouth F.C. announced plans to build a 36,000 seat football stadium on the south-east corner of Horsea Island, near to the M275 motorway.

180px-Horsea.PFCStadiumSite.JPG magnify-clip.png

Proposed stadium site looking north

The proposed new stadium at Horsea Island is planned for completion in 2011. Serious logistical problems, notably the paucity of access by road and rail (the nearest railway station, Cosham, is 6 km away), need to be addressed by plans yet to be made public, but indications are that two new junctions are to be constructed off the M275 as access to the new stadium which will also facilitate development of the nearby Stamshaw area. A railway station at Wymering has also been proposed, but this would still be 3 km away from the proposed stadium. There are question marks over the proposed housing development essential to help fund the stadium. The original schematic plan published in The News when the stadium proposal was revealed clearly showed housing south of the lake impinging on the western end of the SSSI, which if correct would be a serious obstacle to planning permission.

However, the most fundamental problem is the site's vulnerability to flooding. Less than 1 m above sea level, part of the site is already regularly inundated by sea water on spring tides. Moreover, in a study led by the US National Center for Atmospheric Research, sea levels are predicted to rise six metres by 2100 which, if correct, would see Horsea, like the Maldive Islands, submerged before 2040.:p

Sh!t, I have a feeling that Um did not know Milano was Italian for Milan. Steve, tell me it ain't so....

And there was I thinking you weren't like one or two on here (I'm in too good a mood to mention who) who you don't have to spell out everything in a monosyllabic manner.

See, I wouldn't be against this, I just think most would be, and while the rivalry remains as it is, it will never happen. Can you imagine the boycotts and so on? However, if you just looked at it from a financial prospective, it does make alot of sense, but sadly it would never be possible in the current climate of seeming hate between some groups of fans of the two clubs. Pompey fans would never accept playing on southampton soil. It would be interesting to see a pompey fan's response to this actually...

See, I wouldn't be against this, I just think most would be, and while the rivalry remains as it is, it will never happen. Can you imagine the boycotts and so on? However, if you just looked at it from a financial prospective, it does make alot of sense, but sadly it would never be possible in the current climate of seeming hate between some groups of fans of the two clubs. Pompey fans would never accept playing on southampton soil. It would be interesting to see a pompey fan's response to this actually...

When we were in the Premiership and Pompey the Championship, I knew of quite a few Southampton ST holders who supported Pompey, but liked to watch a live Premiership game every other week...

No no no and no again!

It's not the same city, it would be a policing nightmare, not to mention a transportation disaster - and that's just to start with!

Southampton FC is Hampshire FC - Hampshire is the county of Southampton after all

Portsmouth is an island full of skate b@stards and mockneys - its not really Hampshire proper is it?!?!

so Pompey are going to go bust with their massive debts, massive wage bill and cr*ppy little stadium - too bad

lets just sit back and watch from our nice 32,000 + capacity stadium (and hope our finances aren't as bad as some people fear!)

as for Bournemouth - they should just be our B team

besides what's the point of history - or even football come to that if we are just going to go and merge with our biggest rivals when things get a bit tough

what are we - a bunch of Americans!

perhaps misguided missile should switch his allegiance to a lesser sport like American Football where teams can just up and move cities whenever they like (and the sooner MK Dons die the better as well)

Edited by Rebel

I'd still love you to explain it, as I'm not very clever...

Just imagine you've got a windmill in Bursledon or somewhere, but because you only get 21 visitors and only grind 2 lbs of flour each year, you think about sharing it with someone.

The only people who come forward are some old biddies from Clayton who have a few bags of wheat to mill, but to be honest they've already got their own windmill, it's quite a way to travel, they tend to suffer from incontinence and the Social Services aren't keen on supervising them.

And ultimately as they haven't got any realy affinity with the Bursledon area and it's windmill, they decide it probably just isn't worth the hassle, and leave the Bursledon Windmill up to the self appointed committee to run it.

I knew it all along. Skate on a wind up.

Get real GM ffs. ](*,)

Have you ever been to Milan? The traffic and transportation issues in that city are 10 times worse than getting from Pompey to Southampton.

Again the point has been missed by you Southampton & Portsmuff are not in the same city, not even in the same post code.

The cost of policing when Pompey were at "home" would be massive, could you imagine 30k skates coming to Southampton for pre-match drinks in town, fukcing hell it'd be mayhem.

Gangs of Southampton youths bricking coaches, attacking fans walking from car [arks to the game. Saint's fans going to London meeting at central station for the 10.15 to Waterloo when the 9.45 from Portsmuff arrives, carnage mate, absolute carnage!

Ps. as previously mentioned this idea could of worked 5 years ago @ Whitely, the Solent Stadium, half the Stadium red & white, half blue & ****e, massive banners at each end to remind away fans who's home!

No no no and no again!

It's not the same city, it would be a policing nightmare, not to mention a transportation disaster - and that's just to start with!

Southampton FC is Hampshire FC - Hampshire is the county of Southampton after all

Portsmouth is an island full of skate b@stards and mockneys - its not really Hampshire proper is it?!?!

so Pompey are going to go bust with their massive debts, massive wage bill and cr*ppy little stadium - too bad

lets just sit back and watch from our nice 32,000 + capacity stadium (and hope our finances aren't as bad as some people fear!)

as for Bournemouth - they should just be our B team

besides what's the point of history - or even football come to that if we are just going to go and merge with our biggest rivals when things get a bit tough

what are we - a bunch of Americans!

perhaps misguided missile should switch his allegiance to a lesser sport like American Football where teams can just up and move cities whenever they like (and the sooner MK Dons die the better as well)

I take it English is your second language. I was talking about a ground share to help our club avoid administration. I wasn't talking about a merger...

And considering SMS (and my place) is on the Envionmental Agency's flood warning area map, maybe we should be thinking of stilts, dykes & boulders or an Itchen Barrier!!!!

Well we used to have a Floating Bridge so why not a Floating Stadium. It could then be towed up the Solent midway between St Mary's and hell and then beached and access roads built.

When we were in the Premiership and Pompey the Championship, I knew of quite a few Southampton ST holders who supported Pompey, but liked to watch a live Premiership game every other week...

Perhaps that is now the reason for our declining gates then GM. And there was I thinking you were blaming it on the anti Lowes.

It's nice that someone has so capably, if slightly more verbosely, long windedly, far less funnily and without self-parody, taken over Scooby's mantle.

It's all a part of Granty's masterplan to drive traffic and make GM earn his wages;).

No one reads GM's crappy stories (Gridiron and Groundsharing no less), so he has to get traffic by starting noddy threads.

Attention seeking me up.

Spoiling for a fight, just like Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

If we lived in the same city it would have a very tiny chance of happening. As we're not, it has f**k all chance of happening.

Don't kid yourself. I can see the circumstances quite easily, where Southampton and Portsmouth become Solent City in the future, and then the football clubs amalgamation [if they still exist] could be just be a matter of time.

The countryside has practically been breached between the two cities. All it would take, is the current rate of urban sprawl continuing, and the circumstances being right. Plus, the political will to do the merge. It's all possible. Just not likely, from the perspective of 2008. But give it enough time.

Don't kid yourself. I can see the circumstances quite easily, where Southampton and Portsmouth become Solent City in the future, and then the football clubs amalgamation [if they still exist] could be just be a matter of time.

You think? Combine the overdrafts of the two clubs and you'd have the credit crunch all over again (once this one is over, that is).

And then just think of the arguments on here - or SaintPompWeb - about who should be chairman.

The countryside has practically been breached between the two cities. All it would take, is the current rate of urban sprawl continuing, and the circumstances being right. Plus, the political will to do the merge. It's all possible. Just not likely, from the perspective of 2008. But give it enough time.

You do know that taking drugs is illegal dont you :confused: