who has been the been best manager since Strachan

The Fat Controller

out of a poor bunch it would be GB.He at least got us to the play offs but none have shone in any glory.

Wins per game, it probably is GB. But I would say he's the worst manager we've had in some time. Tactically inept, and failed to make the most of a big transfer budget (for this league at least). We shouldn't have been sneaking in to 6th on the last day, we should have been fighting for an automatic spot.

Edited by St Landrew
Putting EM out of his editing misery

Wins per game, it probably is GB. But I would say he's the worst manager we've had in some time. Tactically inept, and failed to make the most of a big transfer budget (for this league at least). We should have been sneaking in to 6th on the last day, we should have been fighting for an automatic spot.
I was only answering teh thread as i see it.I do know that there will now be a load of abuse, but there you go.

As I say a poor bunch.NP would be close only for the reason the fans were united by him, but I for 1 am not convinced by his tenure.

Had HR stayed and the fans kept behind him I suspect he would now have us back in the PL.

Question is almost moot.

Burley wins hands down - got us to play offs, left us in mid table (5 points from playoffs), left us with a very good team.

Funny how all those who wanted Burley out quoted "anyone could do better" over, over and over again........however since he left we have failed to rise any higher than the bottom 6 or 7 in the league - interesting that all those best qualified to run the country are too busy driving taxis!!

out of a poor bunch it would be GB.He at least got us to the play offs but none have shone in any glory.

Depends if you consider the time when he had a decent assistant manager or the whole time. While we had one of the best assistants around in Snodin, Burley was made to look good (and to be fair most successful partnerships are formed this way). But Oh My God, when Snodin left we got to see how bad GB really could have been.

Clearly the best manager since WGS, was and is Pearson, as he continues to demonstrate at Leicester. His winning mentality, together with his experience working with youngsters and his knowledge of the English game puts him head and shoulders above anyone else, and what is the saddest part for me is that he was the ideal man for the job under Lowe, sad that Lowe could not put his pride aside so that he could have employed a highly respected young English manager to manage our young, talented but inexperienced kids.

Depends if you consider the time when he had a decent assistant manager or the whole time. While we had one of the best assistants around in Snodin, Burley was made to look good (and to be fair most successful partnerships are formed this way). But Oh My God, when Snodin left we got to see how bad GB really could have been.

Clearly the best manager since WGS, was and is Pearson, as he continues to demonstrate at Leicester. His winning mentality, together with his experience working with youngsters and his knowledge of the English game puts him head and shoulders above anyone else, and what is the saddest part for me is that he was the ideal man for the job under Lowe, sad that Lowe could not put his pride aside so that he could have employed a highly respected young English manager to manage our young, talented but inexperienced kids.

Snodin didnt do much to help WHU

It's not been good post Strachan but my list would be:

Pearson (short stint, so hard to say for sure, but felt he had just what we needed at that moment in time).

Sturrock (despite a player mutiny, he got some good results)

Burley (a strange one, one season was pretty good, but you good argue it should have been, then other parts of his tenure were very poor).

Redknapp (he's obviously not a bad manager, as long as he is given what he wants, but not the right man for us at that point in time)

Jan Poortvliet (still able to turn to around, but seems very one dimensional with his tactics and fairly naive)

Wigley (enough said)

Paul Sturrock - Blameless as he was not given a proper chance .

Steve Wigley - Useless and should never have been given the chance .

Harry Redknapp - Great manager - but only when he has money to spend and a supportive Chairman .

George Burley - Got us to the play-offs but must be judged a failure here overall .

Jason Dodd/John Gorman - Appalling - massivly out of their depth . :mad:

Nigel Pearson - Easily the winner here and going to be a top manager one day - but not for us unfortunatly . :(

Jan Poortvleit - The jurys still out but it's not looking good is it .

Snodin didnt do much to help WHU

You do know how long he was at West Ham do you?

Just in case you don't, he joined 26 June and was not retained when Curbs left on 15 Sep. I guess you could say that he didn't do much in 2.5 months, but then most of that time was pre-season wasn't it.

Fact remains, his arrival at Saints coincided with a turnaround in our fortunes after GB had failed to arrest the slide after Arry had left, and his departure coincided with Burley completely losing his way at Saints, turning out the most unfit, demotivated squad I've seen in over 40 years of support. GB demonstrated how to turn a reasonably talented squad (albeit with no central defenders) into a hopeless, unfit outfit that would surely have been relelgated had NP not sorted things out.

You do know how long he was at West Ham do you?

Just in case you don't, he joined 26 June and was not retained when Curbs left on 15 Sep. I guess you could say that he didn't do much in 2.5 months, but then most of that time was pre-season wasn't it.

Fact remains, his arrival at Saints coincided with a turnaround in our fortunes after GB had failed to arrest the slide after Arry had left, and his departure coincided with Burley completely losing his way at Saints, turning out the most unfit, demotivated squad I've seen in over 40 years of support. GB demonstrated how to turn a reasonably talented squad (albeit with no central defenders) into a hopeless, unfit outfit that would surely have been relelgated had NP not sorted things out.

100% agree...we slid right down the table when burley took over....and despite spending a feck load of wonga in one preseason, ALONG with his 3 best players™ we scraped a playoff spot and went out straight away...

utter utter failure and I have great pleasure in watching him take scotland down the pan and the fans WITH the players turn on him..

It's not been good post Strachan but my list would be:

Pearson (short stint, so hard to say for sure, but felt he had just what we needed at that moment in time).

Sturrock (despite a player mutiny, he got some good results)

Burley (a strange one, one season was pretty good, but you good argue it should have been, then other parts of his tenure were very poor).

Redknapp (he's obviously not a bad manager, as long as he is given what he wants, but not the right man for us at that point in time)

Jan Poortvliet (still able to turn to around, but seems very one dimensional with his tactics and fairly naive)

Wigley (enough said)

What that list shows is that we have had simply too many managers since 2003 and that, really, none of them were given the requisite time to establish whether they were any good or not.

I feel enermous sympathy with poor old Paul Ince for the same reason. He might or might not be a great manager - I bet we never find out though.

Since the advent of the internet and football phone-ins, the whole bloody world is an expert on football management.

And we're some of the worst.

We wouldn't have Delap - now look at him.

We wouldn't have Fuller - now look at him.

We wouldn't have Telfer - he played in the Champions League!

Wigley was a minute from beating Arsenal at Highbury and then who knows what... Sturrock has taken Plymouth to the brink of the play-offs with (as DD is keen to tell us) a team of plumbers. Redknapp won the firking FA Cup for Pompey and taken them into Europe...

All this posturing. All it proves is we know bugger all about football.

And it won't stop any of us spouting off... you have to laugh.

Harry was the best manager we had since WGS, by far. Not the right man for us though - he'd never work well with Lowe and he had to work within a tight wage structure - something he didnt have to do at Poopey.

The best manager FOR US, was Sturrock. I do wonder what would have happened had he not been forced out.

Unfortunately it's Burley - for all the criticisms leveled against him he took us to the play offs and left us within touching distance of them again. No other manager since Strachan has got close to achieving anything like that.

Pearson didn't have long enough to judge really, but I would say his record really doesn't live up to this 'Pearson as messiah' legend that has grown up around him.

Crouch was injured though. The manager situation was a mess, but there's no way of knowing what would have happened without the injury crisis. Maybe even Wigley would have kept us up. We had several games where Beattie, Pahars, Phillips and Crouch were all out injured. That's difficult for any club. Blackstock and Best up front weren't ready at all, despite dexter hitting a couple of goals. If Beattie had started the season well we'd have stayed up. If Crouch had been fit all season we would have. If Killer hadn't been injured we would have. If Redknapp had signed a proper defender we would have. If Redknapp had tried his best we probably would have. If Delap had closed down Downing we would have. If Crouch had held onto the ball against Everton we might well have. If Crouch hadn't been sent off at Palace I believe we would have.

But we didnt.

It is really a Rudyard Kipling type of relegation season.

In order I'd say:

1. Pearson. Made a team which was getting beat by League 1 opposition hard to beat almost instantly. Steadied the ship, kept us up and I think we were about 12 in the CCC form table during his reign, having spent no money.

2. Sturrock. Won 3 of his first 4 games before injuries set in. Won convincingly against Liverpool and Spuds, and at Molineux and Eastlands. Mutual consent. Didn't George Orwell once say "all constents are mutual, but some are more mutual than others."

3. Portvliet. Have to admit we're doing a lot better than I thought we would and Jan has had tougher circumstances than any of the others.

4. Redknapp. His heart was never really in it, but if we hadn't thrown away those games against Villa, Everton and 'borough, we'd have been safe easily.

5. Wigley. Karp.

6. Dodd/Gorman. Really karp.

N/a. Wise and Bassett.

13m spent, club crippled by debts and high wages, poor players coming in, better players leaving cheap or free, teams never reaching potential, arguments with players, no passion to succeed in the job, never learning from any mistakes, greater resources than any manager in the CCC, knowing we'd gambled on promotion and aiming for playoff lottery, which he very much scraped into. The man is an absolute disgrace and even for one fan to suggest him as a decent manager here is soul destroying.

Nice to see you havent turned into a complete Lowe apologist.

13m spent, club crippled by debts and high wages, poor players coming in, better players leaving cheap or free, teams never reaching potential, arguments with players, no passion to succeed in the job, never learning from any mistakes, greater resources than any manager in the CCC, knowing we'd gambled on promotion and aiming for playoff lottery, which he very much scraped into. The man is an absolute disgrace and even for one fan to suggest him as a decent manager here is soul destroying.

i agree..when you look at what burley had to work with...he was anything but a success....he WAS AN UTTER DISGRACE.....:mad: