WHU

To avoid the crowd, you can either walk up to East Ham (usually guaranteed a seat) or down to Plaistow (might be packed but at least you avoid the queues).

If you are going to stay til the end of the game (fair play) and need to get straight back to Waterloo then it ain't that bad walking to West Ham tube station (that is on the Jubilee line so you are straight through to Waterloo with no changes).

It's a 2 mile walk (so about 30 mins). Map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Green+St%2FB167&daddr=51.5252647,0.0217205+to:51.5248125,0.0047979+to:Manor+Rd%2FA1011&hl=en&sll=51.523698,0.022745&sspn=0.023925,0.066047&geocode=FWVREgMdMpEAAA%3BFZA2EgMd2FQAACkx68vg56fYRzFEeGY63fXlpg%3BFcw0EgMdvRIAACmn6kfv-afYRzFDK-OxRKc9jw%3BFXVAEgMdvhIAAA&gl=us&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2&t=m&z=15

Obviously it depends on the weather - and if you can easily walk 2 miles - but I've done this a couple of times before and it's way better than queuing at Upton Park tube. You'll be stood up there anyway.

Def recommended if Saints have won and you wanna talk about how great it was. West Ham ain't as friendly as Millwall. You don't get your own queue for the train!

• 1 month later...

I'd love it if literally no Saints fans went to this, just to make a point as to how ridiculous those ticket prices are. The working man's game my arse, that's a day's wages for someone on minimum wage.

Sadly, hundreds of people will just continue to moan and yet still cough up.

I'd love it if literally no Saints fans went to this, just to make a point as to how ridiculous those ticket prices are. The working man's game my arse, that's a day's wages for someone on minimum wage.

Sadly, hundreds of people will just continue to moan and yet still cough up.

Sadly if we did this, Saints would lose thousands for paying for the allocation up front. Then for future games saints would take smaller allocations so not to risk not selling out, thus resulting in less traveling.

Sadly if we did this, Saints would lose thousands for paying for the allocation up front. Then for future games saints would take smaller allocations so not to risk not selling out, thus resulting in less traveling.

We weirdly seem to do this already, like at Chelsea and Liverpool.

£40 is pretty much the ceiling for me. Unless it's a massive game. Prices are a joke if you compare it to quality of football, and quality of stadium.

Prices like that balance out over the season

Eg Chelsea £50, Liverpool £42, Man U £46

Hull £22, Stoke £25, West Brom £25, Sunderland £29, Cardiff £30

Average cost of away tickets over season will average around £35

If people are that desperate to go, they'll find a way. Always have done, always will do.

For that particular weekend, South West Trains are running their winter sale promotion, so a return ticket to Waterloo is only £10. That would usually be around £30 (with a network railcard) or £25 with a Group Saver. Offset that against the ticket price and West Ham's a cheaper day out this season compared to last season.

If people are that desperate to go, they'll find a way. Always have done, always will do.

For that particular weekend, South West Trains are running their winter sale promotion, so a return ticket to Waterloo is only £10. That would usually be around £30 (with a network railcard) or £25 with a Group Saver. Offset that against the ticket price and West Ham's a cheaper day out this season compared to last season.

That's not really the point Steve to be honest with you. If I owned a shop, I wouldn't put the prices up by £5 and justify it by saying there's free parking outside. £42 to watch 90 minutes of football is a rip off however you try and dress it up. Besides which, not all of us live in Southampton and it would cost me at least £50 to get to West Ham on the train.

I know people will go if they are "desperate," but it shouldn't be like that. Away games should be accessible to anyone, not just the hard core who are willing to pay whatever clubs demand to watch a game.

That's not really the point Steve to be honest with you. If I owned a shop, I wouldn't put the prices up by £5 and justify it by saying there's free parking outside. £42 to watch 90 minutes of football is a rip off however you try and dress it up. Besides which, not all of us live in Southampton and it would cost me at least £50 to get to West Ham on the train.

I know people will go if they are "desperate," but it shouldn't be like that. Away games should be accessible to anyone, not just the hard core who are willing to pay whatever clubs demand to watch a game.

Supply and demand, London premium, use any cliché you like, they largely all apply here. Despite how **** they've been this season, West Ham have averaged 34,490 for their league games, with a capacity of 35,647, which suggests that enough people are happy to pay the going rate. I think we charged West Ham £37 when they came down here for a ****ty Sunday lunchtime game that was televised. £5 more for a game in London when compared with that isn't a big deal IMO. Sure, I'd love every game to be £10 a ticket, with free travel thrown in for good measure, but that's never going to happen in a month of Sundays.

Lumping in the travel costs is entirely appropriate when determining affordability at football, as it often accounts for the majority of the cost. Take the Sunderland FA Cup game, apparently they're only charging £15 for the tickets, which is great, but a cursory glance at East Coast's website gives me a return train from London for nearly £80 (and that's much cheaper than someone wanting to get the train from Southampton), so it's around £100 for a game that's live on TV at an inconvenient time. Contrast that with West Ham, and the trip from Southampton plus ticket is £52 plus tube ticket, nearly half the overall cost. Which trip makes the most financial sense?

A lot of the time, travel cost is proportionate to the pro-activeness (not sure that's even a word, but let's run with it) of the individual. Most train operating companies offer cheap advance fares which go on sale around 12 weeks before the date of travel. Assuming you're still in Bristol, you can get a return to Paddington from Temple Meads for £27 on a Saturday in 11 weeks' time. The TV games for the weekend of the West Ham game were announced on 10th December, ten and a half weeks before the game, so there would almost certainly have been cheap fares available.

Just booked our tickets on line - total price with travel card £18.90 each

if you buy a ticket from Clapham to London,,with travelcard,put in you have a network railcard(THEY NEVER CHECK ON UNDERGROUND AS ITS ALL MACHINES)it works out at £5.90 each

total price £15.90 with the £10 winter saver