Our Starting 11 of Academy Products Ambition

robdevil7

It's a long way away yet I know, but when does everyone predict that this achievement will happen? In Shaw, Chambers, JWP, Reed, Lallana, Gallagher, we've already 6 players who I think could hold their own at this level, and there are many more to come - which surprises me. There's a common saying among football fans that you're lucky to get 2-3 players into the first team squad per an academy squad, but there seems to be a genuinely consistent conveyor belt of players we possess. I'm hearing good things from player such as Targett, Gape, Sims, etc, so it seems to back up my claims of our academy's consistency. I also believe we don't have to worry about losing Shaw for the time being. He's said in an interview of recent that he's staying, so I don't know why these rumours persist. I think it's safe to say he's staying for a few more years. But I digress. Anyways, when do we see it happening?

To be fair, I believe Cortese's stated aim was to have 50% of the team made up from Academy graduates... not a starting XI.

Edited by Minty
Oops, delayed submitting that, hence it now looks a bit silly after everyone else...

Can anyone tell me if Jack Stephens is near the first team? I've asked before but not had a good answer. He was playing first team football with Plymouth when we bought him 3 years ago, and was considered something of a coup as youth prospects go. He's still only 20 but I've never even heard him mentioned as a possibility, though at right back he is now behind both Clyne and Chambers.

I can guarantee wholeheartedly that we will NEVER start with 50% of the starting line up coming from our academy.

Why?

Our last game had Shaw, Chambers, Lallana, Gallagher all start and Ward-Prowse came on as a sub.

That is 4 players = 36% of team or 40% of outfield players

One more player = 45% of team or 50% of outfield players

Two more players = 55% of team or 60% of outfield players

Why is it so hard to believe we couldn't have 1 or 2 more academy products in the starting line-up?

Why?

Our last game had Shaw, Chambers, Lallana, Gallagher all start and Ward-Prowse came on as a sub.

That is 4 players = 36% of team or 40% of outfield players

One more player = 45% of team or 50% of outfield players

Two more players = 55% of team or 60% of outfield players

Why is it so hard to believe we couldn't have 1 or 2 more academy products in the starting line-up?

So how many subs do we usually have in the starting line up then? And I really can't see us starting any games without a keeper.

I can't believe hutch felt the need to do the mathematician answer thing, and I can't believe that MLG decided to try and debate him on it.

Oh no, wait, the second bit I can believe.

Anyway, we all know the jist of what Cortese meant...

I think the last Barcelona match featured 7 starting players that were academy products. Impressive figures indeed. I think we can soon match such figures. When I do say soon I mean within 2-3 years, but that is mightily splendid nonetheless. If and when we do that, imagine what kind of message that would send to young footballers everywhere. As seen, a top-class academy will attract a lot of youngsters to want to join our academy as they know that if they are good enough, they will be given an opportunity. I'm very excited for our future. The signs are good so far. :)

'tis a mathematician's answer.

We'll either have below 50%, or above, but not exactly 50%.

(Barring changes to rules, or a massive injury crisis that means we can only field 10 from the start)

Morgan came young enough, I'd say we count him as a half.

Did the club ever say 100%? I don't think so. Sure it was 50%, which we're heading nicely towards.

This ^ completely. It is important to keep 40%+ of the team between the age of 25-30 as those guys will have the experience and nerve to keep things calm when the game appears to be slipping, will more likely put in an important challenge and will provide continuity of team spirit and leadership.

This ^ completely. It is important to keep 40%+ of the team between the age of 25-30 as those guys will have the experience and nerve to keep things calm when the game appears to be slipping, will more likely put in an important challenge and will provide continuity of team spirit and leadership.

Did the club ever say 50% under 25 then? Not sure they ever did.

I reckon one day James Ward Prowse will be 26 and everything.

...................-....................

Chambers Turnbull - Shaw

........JWP - Reed...............

Isgrove .....Lallana .....Sims

...............Gallagher.............

Not far off! ;)

Though Think Isgrove will go in the summer, and Turnbull hasn't really featured consistently in the squad yet.

Keeper, CB and ST we never seem to bring anyone through. Here's hoping Gallagher flourishes after his first start.