If you thought the Southampton tower climb was good...

niceandfriendly

Felt physically sick just watching that.

my first reaction when watching any of these videos is "Why?" I understand enjoying an adrenalin rush and all that, but that is just ignoring every safety precaution going. Do these guys have a total disregard to their own survival? Having said that, I've yet to see a report of anyone falling from any of these climbs

Felt physically sick just watching that.

my first reaction when watching any of these videos is "Why?" I understand enjoying an adrenalin rush and all that, but that is just ignoring every safety precaution going. Do these guys have a total disregard to their own survival? Having said that, I've yet to see a report of anyone falling from any of these climbs

Oh trust me, they do fall sometimes. I wouldn't put money on the kid from Southampton ever drawing his pension.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

For some reason I find this worse than the russian guys - even though these are professionals using lines...

Well, some of the time they are - most of the climbing is still done without a line. I hope they get paid a *lot* of money for that! Also, I notice that the commentary says there's no quick way down - why not equip them with parachutes? Is a parachute too bulky for the climb and to allow them to work? Would they hit the tower on the way down before they had the slightest chance of opening the 'chute?

For some reason I find this worse than the russian guys - even though these are professionals using lines...

Well, some of the time they are - most of the climbing is still done without a line. I hope they get paid a *lot* of money for that! Also, I notice that the commentary says there's no quick way down - why not equip them with parachutes? Is a parachute too bulky for the climb and to allow them to work? Would they hit the tower on the way down before they had the slightest chance of opening the 'chute?

For some reason that reminds me of this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080104161307/http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/focke_achgelis.htm

'Should the U-boat came under attack and need to 'crash' dive, the pilot pulled a large red lever above the seat. This started a chain of events designed to save the submarine without sacrificing the pilot. The towline disconnected from the aircraft, freeing the submarine to dive immediately, and the spinning rotor simultaneously departed from the airframe rotor mast. As the rotors flew up and away, they pulled a cable that deployed the pilot's parachute. When parachute blossomed, the pilot popped his seat harness and the remainder of the gyrocopter fell into the sea. After the submarine evaded the threat, it could return to the surface to pick up the pilot. If time and circumstances permitted, the pilot could release the towline without triggering the entire emergency sequence. The flyer could then ditch his Fa 330 near the submarine, or attempt to land back aboard the ship. The type of threat and the speed of its approach dictated the pilot's actions.'

Is a parachute too bulky for the climb and to allow them to work? Would they hit the tower on the way down before they had the slightest chance of opening the 'chute?

They can't parachute down because of all the cables that are attached to tower from the ground. Would be very hard to avoid them.

• 2 weeks later...