Dexter Blackstock

bridge too far

All players should - if they don't already - sign a waiver to exonerate fellow players of responsibility once they take the field.

Rather like parking your car in a car park - "no responsibility is accepted for damage to your vehicle while parked on our premises etc"

Admittedly different to off field. If a fellow player kicks you on a Friday night out in the city centre, that is liable to legal action, sure.

Has this happened before? Could open a whole new can of worms if this is successful. Tackling has pretty much been stopped now anyway but this would wipe it out completely.

Disagree, I have seen plenty of challenges certainly on a sat/sunday morning that could easily be classed as assault. It wouldnt take the art out of the tackle anyway but of course as a player you have a responsibility not to knowingly go out an injure someone.

Besides, I imagibe itll be a strong case required to win and ib this specific case I do t think its strong enough

But how do you know where there's intent? Gobern v Bournemouth for example.. I'm sure he didn't mean to try and chop the lad in half at that height on purpose?

Thats not for me to say, its always going to be difficult which is why it needs to be a strong case to get to court and then stronger to actually win

Needless to say, most footballers accept that there is a risk when you take the field, there is no issue with that. Its when certain players go over the top, it happens. Some do it intentionally, some just lose there heads. Regardless completely reckless challenges have no place on any football field

He won't be able to sue for that, could too easily be seen as accidental.

For me though, it's often pretty clear, especially with all the camera about these days when there's a genuine challenge against when there's an obvious assault. Usually you'd sort it out on the pitch, or the ref would, but if it puts someone out for months then why not sue?

He won't be able to sue for that, could too easily be seen as accidental.

For me though, it's often pretty clear, especially with all the camera about these days when there's a genuine challenge against when there's an obvious assault. Usually you'd sort it out on the pitch, or the ref would, but if it puts someone out for months then why not sue?

Yep. No chance you can prove intent from that.

I think there was a. Full back who played for either Spurs or QPR who successfully sued another player. For a tackle.i think the player injured was an England international, it was an awful tackle from behind

I think it was a lad called Danny Thomas of Spurs. Horror karate style lunge onto knee by QPR's (later Portsmouth) Gavin McGuire. Legal action taken, ultimately settled out of court.

Former Dutch footballer Niels Kokmeijer succesfully sued Rachid Buauzon (spelling) for a tackle that ended his career. Kokmeijer at the time played for (at the time second division) Go Ahead Eagles and Buauzon for Sparta Rotterdam. Buauzon was given a suspended jail sentence of 6 months and 200 hours of community service.

This is the tackle, I have to say, its pretty horrific and not a nice sight.

I hope he wins the case to be honest. Cynical dirty tackles to take out the player should never be seen at any level of the sport, let alone at the highest pro levels. These are so called players that really need to be eradicated from the game - players like Wes Brown for example who seem to survive week after week causing GBH on opponents.