Why so much hatred for each other?

Ozpom333

Pompey- Your brother is your father, your sister is your mother, you all sh*g one another, the Pompey family.

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

And I had the ar*e of a crow,

I would fly over Fratton tomorrow,

and sh*t on the bas*ards below, below,

sh*t on, sh*t on, sh*t on the bastards below

Fratton Park- They're here, they're there, they're every fuc*in where, empty seats, empty seats

They're simply a deluded, naive and retarded bunch who are just lost.

Seriously, mush. The longest topic on this messageboard and it's about them, FFS.

The problem is you're all in too deep to make a dignified exit now. You poor, poor bastards :)

We shall go to our graves encrusted in shame.

yep, my bad, May 1994, was just after we stayed up on the last day at Upton Park in the epic 3-3.

I was at Fratton and had fun getting out. Police must have been mad to sanction that as a testimonial!

Yeah we got kept in for half hour after final whistle and Dave Beasant came out and told a few jokes. His opening gambit was "the police are keeping you in because they are worried you'll beat all the Pompey fans up!".

Oh how we chortled Dave! Then we got out and had to fight out way back to Fratton station as the locals appeared from down side streets. I saw those bastards hitting anything and everything including women... Totally out of order. I only saw one police officer on a horse that whole way back to Fratton.

Was a good game tho with major ****-taking 1-5 in a testimonial for their keeper... They couldn't even get that right. Soppy divs :-)

Yeah we got kept in for half hour after final whistle and Dave Beasant came out and told a few jokes. His opening gambit was "the police are keeping you in because they are worried you'll beat all the Pompey fans up!".

Oh how we chortled Dave! Then we got out and had to fight out way back to Fratton station as the locals appeared from down side streets. I saw those bastards hitting anything and everything including women... Totally out of order. I only saw one police officer on a horse that whole way back to Fratton.

Was a good game tho with major ****-taking 1-5 in a testimonial for their keeper... They couldn't even get that right. Soppy divs :-)

Yes, this. I was there that night too. I was also at another derby there when the police kept us back after the game. An old white-haired man like me in neutral clothing was kept locked up for an hour. When I eventually got out a robocop officer said "We are going to the station". I said "I'm not" so he said "Off you got then good luck!". Nobody took any notice of an old man like me but there had obviously been street fights everywhere, and this was without any Saints' fans present. If they'd let me get out with the rest of the main crowd I could have blended in. Keeping all of us behind just made it obvious to the locals who was a Saints and who wasn't.

. If they'd let me get out with the rest of the main crowd I could have blended in. Keeping all of us behind just made it obvious to the locals who was a Saints and who wasn't.

100% this. Streets were "deserted" when they let us out, lo and behold the Pompey faithful were hiding down side streets. I remember them tearing down garden walls for ammo to throw, trashing cars etc, did not seem to grasp that these were their own houses...

100% this. Streets were "deserted" when they let us out, lo and behold the Pompey faithful were hiding down side streets. I remember them tearing down garden walls for ammo to throw, trashing cars etc, did not seem to grasp that these were their own houses...

They hadn't paid for them.

We're even attracting WUMs from other continents on here now - jesus f*cking christ.

So, just because someone asks a civil question you think i am a wind up Merchant. My question is more to see if the attitude had changed since i was last over there. From what i can see, read, the majority of people give it large sat behind a monitor and have probably never even faced a pompey fan, and by the way, Jesus has a capital "J".

You can ****ing do one. And shove your **** Ute drivers and crappy ****water beer right up your superior arse. You and the Skates deserve each other. Tosser.

Pretty rich coming from someone who probably drives a ute and drinks crappy water beer themselves. I am probably more English than you even though i have lived over here for some 30 years now. I am even a member of the Southampton Overseas Supporters, are you?

Pretty rich coming from someone who probably drives a ute and drinks crappy water beer themselves. I am probably more English than you even though i have lived over here for some 30 years now. I am even a member of the Southampton Overseas Supporters, are you?

Yet you have to ask why we hate the skates? 'Kin convicts.

My Dad is bigger than your Dad.

So, just because someone asks a civil question you think i am a wind up Merchant. My question is more to see if the attitude had changed since i was last over there. From what i can see, read, the majority of people give it large sat behind a monitor and have probably never even faced a pompey fan, and by the way, Jesus has a capital "J".

That rather depends on one's religious beliefs, I'd say. And the nipper supermikey doesn't strike me as the type, he'd probably use all lower case for "allah" as well, he's hardcore.

As to your OP, if you are genuinely interested in the animosity between the two clubs, sign up to SaintsPlayer and watch the cup game at SMS when they beat us 4-1. Then take a look at the last league game between us at Fratton, and watch the crowd. They are complete f*cking animals, and deserve absolutely everything they are currently getting, all of which they have brought on themselves without aid or assistance. My brother-in-law is a builder and often works down there. Any sign in their vans that it is from Southampton invariably means that the van gets trashed, and that does not happen up here in civilisation; the only incident I can recall was a couple of thugs chasing a car with a pompey badge in the window, and that was such a rare occurence that it made headlines in the Echo. The so-called "rivalry" was entirely initiated by pompey; when I was a kid back in the sixties, most of the Saints fans I saw at the Dell were pleased if the half time scores on the tannoy said that pompey or bournemouth were winning at half time. A few seasons ago, bournemouth attempted to start a similar thing but gave up when they realised nobody at Saints had even noticed them. Reading and brighton have tried it as well.

It probably has more to do with your patronising tone, and the sanctimonious way you have wandered in here and started prodding away at people and subjects you don't understand, like a kid studying bugs.

You tell us you love AFL and you're not switching 'codes'. You call Football soccer. You question our intelligence when you don't receive 'serious answers' from users of an internet forum? Did you happen to glance through a few threads before you posted? Have you ever been on the internet before? What were you expecting when after 29 replies and 12 hours you start insulting people?

You're a member of the Southampton Overseas Supporters, when you don't like 'soccer' and you know nothing about the club? This makes you special somehow? Are you also a member of the Portsmouth equivalent? You're an odd one, that's for sure.

And who says fictional characters have to have their names capitalised?

Originally Posted by Ozpom333

You know what, the "Skate's" as you call them seem to be far more intelligent than you lot even though they don't have the time for Aussies either. I have looked at other forums and found the hatred here greater than anywhere else so came here and asked a civil question and found it to be a complete waste of time. At least the Pompey lads have given me a few good reasons why.

Originally Posted by Kingsbridge Saint

You can ****ing do one. And shove your **** Ute drivers and crappy ****water beer right up your superior arse. You and the Skates deserve each other. Tosser.

If he's not then he really should be, you two can meet up - I reckon you'll hit it off like a house on fire :lol:

In the 80's and 90's I didnt really have any hatred towards them. In fact I remember cheering them on in the FA semi V Liverpool and wanting them to go up in the early 90's when they often flirted with or took part in the play offs.

It's generally been the last 10 years that I've developed such a hatred towards them. It's all very well fans calling each other scummers or skates. It's banter. But for Pompey fans to teach their children to point at Saints fans and call them scummers just underlines what kind of club they are. As if a 6 year old understands the dock strikes or whatever. They're just letting small children call other people scum in my eyes.

Also, the clubs have a very different fabric. We're more of a family club whereas they have far more of a skanky fan base. We think they're just a rough bunch of skanks whereas they think were all soft who sing a lot less than them and are therefore less passionate fans.

Thats the difference between the clubs and for me being at the age where I take my kids to games, it's those kinds of clubs that I cant stand in the game.

For me it all goes back to when I was five or six, when I remember asking my mum, straight out, whether I should support Portsmouth or Southampton. She went ballistic and told me in no uncertain terms never to talk like that again, and to use my dad's twelve-bore to off the Portsmouth supporters at any and every opportunity.

I believe this happened to a number of other Saints supporters like me and it's safe to say, at least three times, that we genuinely dislike our south-coast rivals

What do you reckon? Try wandering into the Pig and Whistle in when the Brisbane Chapter are in for a Saints game. I would gladly buy you a pint of Old Speckled Hen or Spitfire and invite you to explain your mythical intelligent Skate experience.

It probably has more to do with your patronising tone, and the sanctimonious way you have wandered in here and started prodding away at people and subjects you don't understand, like a kid studying bugs.

What were you expecting when after 29 replies and 12 hours you start insulting people?

Just so our OP gets it - this was the reason I got so fired up.

OP comes on here professing not to understand the animosity - which will be read and taken seriously by people who have had very real and unpleasant experiences with the Skates, myself included - and then has a go at US as unintelligent FFS. And is then surprised a few people get ****ed off. Don't go prodding snake pits with sticks comes to mind. I don't know ONE decent Skate fan, not one who will argue coherently about the rivalry, understand and articulate the issues, and engage in a bit of banter. Every single Skate you try it with - its an instant **** off Scummer response, and usually a punch in the face, or worse. The demographic down there, as has been pointed out above, is well behind Southampton in terms of average IQ, standard of living and just about every other social measure you could possibly look at. But I suppose they might look intelligent from an Australian perspective.

The skates will always be smaller and have less fans BUT they do sing more and have a far more working class support than we do, whether that contributes to them having a better atmosphere is something I have put up before but it appeared its a taboo subject on here as the St Marys Dome is awesome and has an amazing atmosphere.