Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Poyet would leave as soon as he got a better offer. If he'll leave Sunderland so soon, what's the point?

He either fails here, or does well and quickly fcks off.

Not so sure - he's obviously a narcissist and attracts speculation. But he gutted it out longer at Brighton than I expected, notwithstanding the links to other positions.

"Does anyone still think he will stay?"

Yes, I still think he will. Just me and Viking then?

I'm not really paying much attention to all these ever escalating rumour articles. It's like they're all trying to one-up each other. Forgive me but I deal in facts in my profession and I only go on what we know for definite (not a dig at anyone, I just find football rumours needlessly stressful and it infuriates me to no end that they can just publish nothing articles).

Plus, if he does go and we were wrong, I will not harbour any resentment towards one of our best ever managers who has only enhanced the reputation of our club and conducted his time here with the utmost professionalism. Have some people just forgotten that the whole of the last season just happened? Sure the FA cup wasn't a success, but without getting into it the team he fielded should have beaten that Sunderland team, the players talked a big game, just didn't happen, just one of those days (could have put money on it since it was against Sunderland again :mcinnes:). But what about all the professional conduct, the professional interviews, the commitment to never give up, how he inspired and commanded the respect of the dressing room and brought out the best in our players and most excitingly produced such a thrilling brand of attacking high pressing football from our players.

So whatever happens, thank you Mauricio Pochettino for making us the talk of the PL this season, for helping nearly four of our favourite boys get into the England team, for daring to dream and challenging the bigger teams, for bringing in more talented youngsters and showing the rest of the league how to compete on a lower budget. Thank you Mauricio Pochettino for making us proud to be in the PL again, thank you for making us anticipate every game against every opponent with excitement, knowing we would play without fear and in many cases get results we hadn't in a long time. Thank you Mauricio Pochettino for pushing the team and our expectations, in achieving the highest possession stats in the premier league and for bringing such joy to the Southampton fans this season.

As to what happens from this point, judgement on that I will reserve until I know the facts. It is unknown. But at this point, with what we currently know, all I can say is that we are in the insane situation where one of our best managers is being ripped apart by some of his club's fans based on rumour and conjecture. Ungrateful doesn't even begin to cut-it. Yes, we will all be disappointed if he leaves, but you mustn't forget everything that he has given us up to now, especially when all of this is stemming from football journalism rumours. :?

Anyway Hi yes I'm new to posting here (been reading for ages). Just wanted to give my two cents. Flame shield activated :o

tl;dr I think he'll stay and think it incredible that after the results of last season that MP is slagged off like this based on rumour and conjecture

If MP goes lets not blame the owner or the board. If he goes it will be because his head has been turned by Spurs. If a manager or indeed players want away there is nothing anyone can do about it because contracts have no value in football. We may not like it but that's how it is. So lets not blame anyone other than Spurs for their 'illegal' approach and MP for showing no loyalty to the club who gave him a chance when few others were interested in him.

And if Spurs have been so impressed by MP as we keep reading that tells me they've made an illegal approach and spoken to him without our permission despite him being contracted to us. At that stage MP should have politely informed them he was not in a position to hold any talks with them. It's MP and Spurs who come out of this with their reputations tarnished not our owner or board members. We can apportion blame all we like but I think that is just people who are upset being irrational. Make no mistake, Spurs and MP are 100% to blame if this comes to fruition.

Not much faith in the board to find a suitable replacement given the way they have handled this situation.

Why is RK over in Canada at the moment? Surely he must be filled in on what is going on and realises the importance of securing a replacement quickly?

I am assuming he will be conducting interviews - or will that be left to Les Reed as well now? Maybe Les will fancy another crack at the Premier League and simply interview himself.

The mind boggles at how inept they have been at sorting this out. It should have been priority no. 1 when the new board was appointed, but Poch has given them the absolute run-around.

I just hope Dan Petrescu - a name that has been doing the rounds for several months - hasn't been purposefully leaked like the appointment of Krueger was, in order to ease him in.

If MP goes lets not blame the owner or the board. If he goes it will be because his head has been turned by Spurs. If a manager or indeed players want away there is nothing anyone can do about it because contracts have no value in football. We may not like it but that's how it is. So lets not blame anyone other than Spurs for their 'illegal' approach and MP for showing no loyalty to the club who gave him a chance when few others were interested in him.

And if Spurs have been so impressed by MP as we keep reading that tells me they've made an illegal approach and spoken to him without our permission despite him being contracted to us. At that stage MP should have politely informed them he was not in a position to hold any talks with them. It's MP and Spurs who come out of this with their reputations tarnished not our owner or board members. We can apportion blame all we like but I think that is just people who are upset being irrational. Make no mistake, Spurs and MP are 100% to blame if this comes to fruition.

^^ This

Agents can talk to whoever they like about hypothetical positions of managers and players. The manager never speaks to the club involved until he's given permission to do so. The agent does all the spade work for him based on the hypothesis that he would eventually be prepared to accept certain conditions. It's football, the days when Clough and Taylor went round knocking on doors of a sunday morning are long gone.

I don't understand why everyone gets on their high horses about illegal approaches. There are so many ways of doing it, that it's not really worth having the rules in place. The news leaked into the papers before the season had even finished and hasn't gone away since then. No approach illegal or otherwise was particularly needed.

If he goes, he goes and best move on. I just hope the board have someone already lined up seeing as these stories have been in the public domain for the best part of 2 months (is it?) now.

Gone inside 48hours, says the Telegraph. Good riddance. Will just have to remember Sunderland in Fa Cup and those games when he didn't change things. Spurs fans will be on his back inside a month

"Does anyone still think he will stay?"

Yes, I still think he will. Just me and Viking then?

I'm not really paying much attention to all these ever escalating rumour articles. It's like they're all trying to one-up each other. Forgive me but I deal in facts in my profession and I only go on what we know for definite (not a dig at anyone, I just find football rumours needlessly stressful and it infuriates me to no end that they can just publish nothing articles).

Plus, if he does go and we were wrong, I will not harbour any resentment towards one of our best ever managers who has only enhanced the reputation of our club and conducted his time here with the utmost professionalism. Have some people just forgotten that the whole of the last season just happened? Sure the FA cup wasn't a success, but without getting into it the team he fielded should have beaten that Sunderland team, the players talked a big game, just didn't happen, just one of those days (could have put money on it since it was against Sunderland again :mcinnes:). But what about all the professional conduct, the professional interviews, the commitment to never give up, how he inspired and commanded the respect of the dressing room and brought out the best in our players and most excitingly produced such a thrilling brand of attacking high pressing football from our players.

So whatever happens, thank you Mauricio Pochettino for making us the talk of the PL this season, for helping nearly four of our favourite boys get into the England team, for daring to dream and challenging the bigger teams, for bringing in more talented youngsters and showing the rest of the league how to compete on a lower budget. Thank you Mauricio Pochettino for making us proud to be in the PL again, thank you for making us anticipate every game against every opponent with excitement, knowing we would play without fear and in many cases get results we hadn't in a long time. Thank you Mauricio Pochettino for pushing the team and our expectations, in achieving the highest possession stats in the premier league and for bringing such joy to the Southampton fans this season.

As to what happens from this point, judgement on that I will reserve until I know the facts. It is unknown. But at this point, with what we currently know, all I can say is that we are in the insane situation where one of our best managers is being ripped apart by some of his club's fans based on rumour and conjecture. Ungrateful doesn't even begin to cut-it. Yes, we will all be disappointed if he leaves, but you mustn't forget everything that he has given us up to now, especially when all of this is stemming from football journalism rumours. :?

Anyway Hi yes I'm new to posting here (been reading for ages). Just wanted to give my two cents. Flame shield activated :o

tl;dr I think he'll stay and think it incredible that after the results of last season that MP is slagged off like this based on rumour and conjecture

Good post and welcome.

If MP goes lets not blame the owner or the board. If he goes it will be because his head has been turned by Spurs. If a manager or indeed players want away there is nothing anyone can do about it because contracts have no value in football. .

I don't agree.

MP has been offered jobs when at Espanyol but he stayed there. I don't think you can question his loyalty. Being rumoured with bigger clubs is part and parcel of football. How many clubs was he linked to whilst with us? Remember the Madrid rumours?

If he goes which it looks as he is then I would suspect it is down to wanting to progress in his career. If our board and him do not share the same vision then what is the point? Would you stay in your job if you were told you would be losing key resources and had your hands tied in trying to replace them? I wouldn't. We go forwards not backwards.

I won't blame the board for him going, won't blame the board if we lose players. I will however blame them if they bring in cheap alternatives that were always destined to fail. I will blame them and praise them on their decisions. They were not the ones who brought in our manager and the current squad.

Gone inside 48hours, says the Telegraph. Good riddance. Will just have to remember Sunderland in Fa Cup and those games when he didn't change things. Spurs fans will be on his back inside a month

Or as Arsenal fans are saying, time to take spurs seriously.

When your CEO States that he is surprised how little a manager does compared to ice hockey as they have to keep doing substitutions all the time , then I wonder if the manager may lose a bit of faith. Kruger pulled our trousers down for a good rogering with his interview last game of the season. The buck stops with him.

Tough season ahead I'm afraid we are now at the height of our success the slide down is about to start

I don't agree.

MP has been offered jobs when at Espanyol but he stayed there. I don't think you can question his loyalty. Being rumoured with bigger clubs is part and parcel of football. How many clubs was he linked to whilst with us? Remember the Madrid rumours?

If he goes which it looks as he is then I would suspect it is down to wanting to progress in his career. If our board and him do not share the same vision then what is the point? Would you stay in your job if you were told you would be losing key resources and had your hands tied in trying to replace them? I wouldn't. We go forwards not backwards.

I won't blame the board for him going, won't blame the board if we lose players. I will however blame them if they bring in cheap alternatives that were always destined to fail. I will blame them and praise them on their decisions. They were not the ones who brought in our manager and the current squad.

Slightly different scenario as he had two good spells there as a player (including trophies) and they gave him his 1st shot at coaching as such he had, I suspect, a lot more loyalty to Espanyol than he ever had (or would have to us). MP at Espanyol would have been like us having Benali as manager loyalty that runs deeper than career.

Slightly different scenario as he had two good spells there as a player (including trophies) and they gave him his 1st shot at coaching as such he had, I suspect, a lot more loyalty to Espanyol than he ever had (or would have to us). MP at Espanyol would have been like us having Benali as manager loyalty that runs deeper than career.

His loyalty extended as far as Cortese and the players. That's it.

If he had not done well for them he would of been out on his ass. He would not have become our manager at all. Like I said it is about progressing.

When your CEO States that he is surprised how little a manager does compared to ice hockey as they have to keep doing substitutions all the time , then I wonder if the manager may lose a bit of faith. Kruger pulled our trousers down for a good rogering with his interview last game of the season. The buck stops with him.

Tough season ahead I'm afraid we are now at the height of our success the slide down is about to start

perhaps we can get an Ice Hockey manager then, perhaps Ralph fancies the job himself. Must be crap hot at it because Canada without him got overturned by the French in the recent World Championship. Must have been a case of poor team, great consultant and motivator at the Olympics then.

He's probably gone if that's what he wants, but there could still be twists. Will Saints do anything to keep him? Match Spurs offer and let him decide on setup and potential? If they did that, he'd be a fool not to stay. Better prospects at Saints.

Edited by Shroppie

Can anyone point me in the direction of an statement from either SFC or THFC that MP

has signed as THFC manager....:yawn:

Do you expect to be asking the same question in 48hours ? Or do you think you'll know by then.

Saints should dig their heels in and say "No", then should put Poch on gardening leave to see out his contract. Spurs don't get their man and will look elsewhere, Poch ends up with no job.

Agree.

B0ll0cks to them.

IIRC did Poch not say that he wouldn't sign Espanyol players when he joined Saints? I would expect him to extend us the same courtesy

He was a legend at their club and obviously had a strong connection with the place. Really can't see him being worried about raiding us for our players - though I'm pretty sure they will face some heavy competition.

If it were another club you would laugh your head off at some of his comments since joining.

Solent interview was an absolute facepalm 10mins and the comment to Duncan that you refer to equally odd.

Saints should dig their heels in and say "No", then should put Poch on gardening leave to see out his contract. Spurs don't get their man and will look elsewhere, Poch ends up with no job.

I heard his contract says he can leave for another club if 'he' pays £2M , so if 'he' pays the £2M we may not be able to hold him to the contract

Alpine

you are a total nasty numpty. re your comments about a season ticket, You rarely go to games, so that is not appropriate question to ask.

I know loads of fans who have renewed their season ticket already.

He is a true ar se hole....but at least nobody will have to sit next to the t wat as he never goes to games

If it was me and I knew Mopo wasn't intrested in continuing to be a our manager, I would say to Spurs, fine he has a year left of his contract if you want him that would be £10m please, if you don't like it F##k off,

Mind you that's me and I am a horrible sod.

If it was me and I knew Mopo wasn't intrested in continuing to be a our manager, I would say to Spurs, fine he has a year left of his contract if you want him that would be £10m please, if you don't like it F##k off,

Mind you that's me and I am a horrible sod.

it's 2 million £, everybody knows that. We aren't in a position to ask for 10 million.

I may be in a minority on here, but I still believe he will stay , at the end of the day neither I or the club can do nothing about it . if he resigns,

I was very disappointed when Twaddle left us. that was decietful and like twaddle the spuds have in my mind illegally tapped him up, if the press specualtion is anything to go by,

I will wait for events to fold, but I do not blame the board in anyway for what is allegedly happening, unlike some of you.

I bet they are doing their utmost to keep him at the club. but occassionally agents of clubs and the likes of levy will do anything to get the players / managers they want in place.

I have never liked spurs and it dindt help when they got twaddle to walk away from ruperts vision

IF Poch does go it is the knock on effect which concerns me more and what is happening behind the scene ref ambition.

1)The players who are wavering whether to go on to 'bigger' things may be more keen to move on from Saints. We needed 3 or 4 better players anyway but add to that replacing another 3 or 4 players leaving means over half a new team, look what that did to QPR and nearly did to Sunderland.

2)Has the 'board' lost the ambition/project and is being overly cautious with the purse strings? In this league even if you stand still you go backwards.

I hope Poch doesn't leave for consistency reasons and because I feel with 3 or 4 better players we could do even better next season, if he leaves he can be replaced with another good manager but it is the reasons why he wants to move on, the attitude of the board and the implications to the club which concerns me more.

IIRC did Poch not say that he wouldn't sign Espanyol players when he joined Saints? I would expect him to extend us the same courtesy

he probably remembers us protesting at him when he arrived.

he is likely to go. He did say if NC left so would he. Guess he was talked into staying till end of the season

If he had not done well for them he would of been out on his ass. He would not have become our manager at all. Like I said it is about progressing.

Yeah but that has nothing to do with

MP has been offered jobs when at Espanyol but he stayed there

He had, understandably as a long standing player, far more loyalty to Espanyol than if had to us which would make him far more likely to turn down job offers. The board at saints couldn't really use the loyalty card on Mopo like Espanyol could.

Viking what makes you think he will stay? I'm in the until someone makes an official statement nothing has happened camp. It doesn't look good though.

I'd still like to think he'll stay but that if he doesn't it would only be because the ambition that he was sold 18 months back no longer exists.

At the moment none of us on here know whats going on, thats the only FACT on here, the rest is pure speculation on ever changing press stories.......However IF Poch is leaving for Spurs then i can not blame him and i would have to assume it is because he has not got the re-assurances about players he wanted. Anyone that honestly thinks Spurs are not bigger than us really needs to take a hard look at themselves. Totally agree the managers job there is a poisoned chalice and i cant personally think why anyone would take it, BUT the players they have are decent and i'm sure MP can do a dam sight better with them than Sherwood (and no i don't rate him but thats not for here and now).

We are not a Man Utd that are millions in debt but hey ho thats how they do things, we are not owned by a Russian with more money than sense or a Man City that have just been fined how many millions?......we are Southampton, a club that was always destined to not eat at the top table unless bought out by someone with no common sense at all. KL and her father had a plan but that never ever included pouring and pouring money into the club for ever and ever. We have had a brilliant ride and i have loved every minute and WILL continue to support SFC no matter who is at the helm and who is on the pitch. I look at it as a new chapter about to begin....it may not be as good as previous chapters but thats the mystery1