Osvaldo makes 5th in Telagraph 10 worst sighnings

cellone

It could have been a masterstroke, MP had worked with him before. If he had scored a quick 10 goals to the end of the season we may have won quite a few more. Games and perhaps been pushing a lot higher in the league,but it didn't come off. I won't use it as a stick to beat MP or the club with but I notice the normal suspect has already.

Just imagine the difference a really good £15m striker could have made to our season.

Quite an amusing article though and especially like the Spurs gone missing poster campaign for the £30m Erik Lamela.

It's what happens when you spend a lot of money on players from Italy. The vast majority do not make the grade because their football is so slow and is virtually a non-contact sport. A striker usually has plenty of time to pick his spot from 18 yards out and put a training ground shot past the keeper. Osvaldo and Lamela came from Roma where they scored about 17 and 15 goals respectively this season, they've come to the PL and done very little, whereas Gervinho who was amongst the PLs biggest piles of crap has turned into a wonder striker again at Roma. Says it all about Italian football, not to mention Jovetic or Gaston amongst many others.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Dozy Altidore. Makes Ali Dia look like a professional footballer.

I hope we never make a mistake like signing Mezut Ozil, that would be awful. Would take him like a shot but perhaps not at 45m.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Dani, he will be back in the summer for sure, because I can't see Juve paying (anything) for him. Unless we can find a gullible team in the Turkish league or something then we may have to deal with the situation in a way that we actually see him playing for us next season. We are not exactly overloaded with strikers, and it was obvious that he was just beginning to adapt to the PL during his last few apps. Maybe Ralph can knock some sense into him with a hockey stick or something.

Just imagine the difference a really good £15m striker could have made to our season.

Quite an amusing article though and especially like the Spurs gone missing poster campaign for the £30m Erik Lamela.

how many really good strikers were signed last summer?

off the top of my head

osvaldo

van wolfswinkel

altidore

cornelius

soldado

in january

mitroglu

al a bit ****e. bony is the one I can think of who has done well. our alternative to osvaldo was damiao who would have cost a lot more and hasn't done well either.

Altidore, seriously, what is he? He's certainly not a footballer. He tries a bit, but needs to go back to his day job - whatever that may be.

Osvaldo fairly makes it in, trash heap player. I hope we're not stuck with him as our record signing for too long, almost as bad as being stuck with £4m for Rory Delap over your head for 10 years!

You can get good and bad from anywhere. Bony was a top scorer in a mediocre league. It's incredibly difficult to get right but all you can do is keep trying.

I certainly wouldn't use Osvaldo as a reason to avoid expensive and/or foreign players. I would think twice, however, about signing from Serie A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think any striker signing is a gamble to be honest, because they cost a hell of a lot and take away most of the transfer budget.

Lukaku would be a decent fit for what we're after, or even Benteke - someone with a bit of pace and power to lead the line, that would make a huge difference.

Perfect window for me..

David Marshall, Lukaku, Astori. Job done. Keep everyone we want to keep and promote the likes of Tagget, Reed and Simms to more prominent roles in the first team, and then the world is our oyster. I realise I'm dreaming though!

I think any striker signing is a gamble to be honest, because they cost a hell of a lot and take away most of the transfer budget.

Lukaku would be a decent fit for what we're after, or even Benteke - someone with a bit of pace and power to lead the line, that would make a huge difference.

Perfect window for me..

David Marshall, Lukaku, Astori. Job done. Keep everyone we want to keep and promote the likes of Tagget, Reed and Simms to more prominent roles in the first team, and then the world is our oyster. I realise I'm dreaming though!

Agree mate

Keep everyone

New keeper, CB and striker who are good enough to start

how many really good strikers were signed last summer?

off the top of my head

osvaldo

van wolfswinkel

altidore

cornelius

soldado

in january

mitroglu

al a bit ****e. bony is the one I can think of who has done well. our alternative to osvaldo was damiao who would have cost a lot more and hasn't done well either.

Apologies, my comment wasn't really meant as being critical of the signing. Just that the gamble didn't really pay off on this occasion, but imagine if it had.

We did know the Osvaldo history so its probably an expensive lesson learnt, but it could have easily gone the other way and if he or any other £15m striker investment had added a further 8 - 10 goals we may have been seriously pushing Europa places.

if we'd signed bony this season instead of osvaldo or michu last season instead of gaston we could have been a lot more comfortable.

swansea have some chops in the transfer department.

Isn't 8th on 52 points already pretty comfortable?

And it's the same with every club, you win some and you lose some. I expect Swansea fans are looking at us wondering how we got Lovren so cheaply, compared to their signing of Flores.

Isn't 8th on 52 points already pretty comfortable?

And it's the same with every club, you win some and you lose some. I expect Swansea fans are looking at us wondering how we got Lovren so cheaply, compared to their signing of Flores.

hence the word more.

yeah we did well with lovren. I don't remember flores being such a disgrace last season though and he only cost £2m.

i think you've taken my post as criticism of our record on those signings. my earlier post was there to show how nearly everybody failed to sign a decent striker. I'm just impressed with Swansea bucking a trend in that area of the market.

:lol:

Oh yeah, we would have finished as high as Swansea....:rolleyes:

would swansea have finished higher with gaston and osvaldo instead? i'm sure you're just mischief making.

would swansea have finished higher with gaston and osvaldo instead? i'm sure you're just mischief making.

No but they would have done with Clyne, Rodriguez, Lovren and Wanyama. They've made some great signings and in hindsight I wish we'd got Bony but they're not doing anything we're not. We've both had hits and misses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hence the word more.

yeah we did well with lovren. I don't remember flores being such a disgrace last season though and he only cost £2m.

i think you've taken my post as criticism of our record on those signings. my earlier post was there to show how nearly everybody failed to sign a decent striker. I'm just impressed with Swansea bucking a trend in that area of the market.

Read it how you like as either way we will never know how we would have finished with their 2 as the Swans

will never know if they would have been higher with our two.....

All about opinions i guess..

Read it how you like as either way we will never know how we would have finished with their 2 as the Swans

will never know if they would have been higher with our two.....

All about opinions i guess..

Obviously we will never know but if you had to decide whether to play Flores or Jos at CB and select Osvaldo / unavailable or Michu in attack, would you really find either much of a dilemma?

I've been impressed by Big Vic for the last couple of games. He's had a few problems with injuries, but I think he will be a key player for us next season

Remember Tony.......that idiot ottery has not got a clue about footer.:mcinnes:

For what it is worth......I think you make sense......sometimes:p

Well done fella:D

Obviously we will never know but if you had to decide whether to play Flores or Jos at CB and select Osvaldo / unavailable or Michu in attack, would you really find either much of a dilemma?

All i know is our team/squad is better than theirs...

To try and guess which side would be better with this player or that player is a bit pointless imo..

He's about on a par with Billy Sharp and a very similar type of player, so not really. I'd rather take a punt on Wolfswinkel if we could get him for silly money, as in 1/2mill.

Could take JRods spot as the cute one in my prospective Saints boyband

Perfect window for me..

I think Benteke is a better player then Lukaku, just unfortunately has been stuck in a **** poor Villa side, hope we break the bank for him or Bony

It's a shame, the city goal was a glimps of what he 'could' have been, no doubt we will have to buy two strikers in the summer, without Jay are striker force is extremely limited, and even with Jay it was struggling, second half of season lamberts lost his legs.