Cortese speaking to BBC for first time since leaving Saints

Saint Garrett

So what ?

So what if it was a vanity project for him ?

He brought us 5 years of unrivalled success in our clubs history.

Its downhill from here.

Anyone who dismisses his success is a prize tw*t. Other clubs have had owners come in and sploshed the dosh and achieved a fraction of what he achieved.

Yes, I described a period early last summer as being run like a seaside B & B, but at the end of the summer he delivered a team that surpassed our best ever previous PL performance. He delivered.

This lot are doing jack sh*t.

Unrivalled success in our clubs history?

Good god.

Name me another 5 year period with a back-to-back promotions, a trophy, a highly respectable top-division finish, 3 players in an England WC squad, 7 players in the WC in total.

This. Trumps all the other crap and conjecture that parade as fact on here.

Name me another 5 year period with a back-to-back promotions, a trophy, a highly respectable top-division finish, 3 players in an England WC squad, 7 players in the WC in total.

And you've hated every minute of it. :lol:

I think winning an FA Cup, promotion and getting to the League cup final, without being bankrolled by a billionaire, beats that by a mile.

I think winning an FA Cup, promotion and getting to the League cup final, without being bankrolled by a billionaire, beats that by a mile.

Superfan Alpine ("we're a bunch of bottlers, Wigan/West Ham/Huddersfield are showing us how it's done, we're going down/blown promotion") and Strawlock have decided otherwise. It's their phenomenal perspective what they have got, you know.

Superfan Alpine ("we're a bunch of bottlers, Wigan/West Ham/Huddersfield are showing us how it's done, we're going down/blown promotion") and Strawlock have decided otherwise. It's their phenomenal perspective what they have got, you know.

Ooooh dear. Stroppy stampy-foot name calling from our resident (t)wit for being pulled up for talking crap.

Even you must see how hypocritical it is of you to take the **** out of someone for throwing a tantrum and talking crap.

Why ? Everyone takes the p*ss out of me doing it. I feel fully entitled to be tickled by someone else getting all upptiy for being pulled up.

Ooooh dear. Stroppy stampy-foot name calling from our resident (t)wit for being pulled up for talking crap.

Laughable. Not really talking crap to be able to easily name two periods in our history (not the 18-1900s ones, that was a lickle joke on my part) that were just as successful as our "unprecedented" five years (that you moaned like a slag though out all of).

But the late 70s to 80s and the 1990 to 2004 were equally if not more successful than your unprecedented period of success of finishing an amazing 7th in League One and a world beating 14th in the Premier League. Ohhh, so unprecedented.

Why ? Everyone takes the p*ss out of me doing it. I feel fully entitled to be tickled by someone else getting all upptiy for being pulled up.

Who is being uppity sweetheart? Not me.

But this guy....

I am happy for this to be merged with another thread; I just didnt know where it belonged.

We are CRYING OUT for a statement of intent from the new board; a deed that gives us an impression of which direction we are going in. After all, they have been in-place for a few months now and should know what they want to do.

So have we got it ? No. In fact, we have worse - respected ex-Saints players being fired.

We have no kit supplier this season, we are not sure we have a manager, and the vultures are circling our best players like they are rotting carcases out in a Western desert.

FFS, board, get a f**king grip before this club plummets into a new rut.

Really have trouble comprehending, dont you ?

Yep, I am upptiy about the situation, but not about your comments. You are losing your touch, pal.

Not really. I understand what "unrivalled" means. And, well, you don't seem to.

15th (11 points clear of relegation), 11th, 10th, 8th, 12th and a cup final. Beattie and bridge in the England squad. That's 'respectable'

Still not in the same league, in my opinion.

Really find it amusing how some are trying to belittle NCs acheivements :lol:

15th (11 points clear of relegation), 11th, 10th, 8th, 12th and a cup final. Beattie and bridge in the England squad. That's 'respectable'

Entirely self-funded as well. And we moved to a new stadium. And Le Tiss scoring the last goal at the Dell. And if we are mentioning World Cups, Svennson vs the Argies was pretty darn satisfying too. But nothing to ever "rival" steamrollering to second place in League One powered by a billionaire.

Yep, an ego.

Lol. Can't be bothered to read this (or many other threads) at the moment but having worked for him, good riddance to bad rubbish. 25 years in business and haven't come across many bigger c** ts. And that's from soneone who got paid in full and on time. Well rid.

I thought we WON a cup final. Oh, and got 2 promotions to boot :lol:

Last time i checked you couldn't get promoted from the premier league and the cup we won you only get to compete for by playing in the bottom two divisions, still you maintain winning the JPT is more of an achievement than reaching the FA cup final and runners up in league one is better than 10th in the premier league. :lol:

I thought we WON a cup final. Oh, and got 2 promotions to boot :lol:

Winning the FL trophy is unrivalled success vs being in the FA Cup final. Right.

Let's remember that next time you are going apesh it about out lack of ambition. Which, I guess, will be tomorrow.

A string of gritty, midtable finishes - no wonder this place has a problem talking about ambition :lol:

Too right.

Pretty small minded to call 2nd place in L1 and winning the bottom divisions trophy as unrivalled success in our history. For Leyton Orient maybe, but my horizons are far bigger than that.

Anyone else think Cortese has lined up a bid for the club? This whole destabilisation campaign in the media since he left, now this interview to get the fans onside and make the fans think he's a better option than the incumbents, and then his knowing smile at the end of the interview. Chances are extremely slim but if takeover talks are in progress, it might explain these player bids that are seemingly on hold, the MP talks that are seemingly on hold, and the silence within the club about the direction the board is taking the club.

I've watched too many conspiracy theory TV dramas....

Too right.

Pretty small minded to call 2nd place in L1 and winning the bottom divisions trophy as unrivalled success in our history. For Leyton Orient maybe, but my horizons are far bigger than that.

Pulis-era Stoke. We remember.

Of course I'm not. Neither do I hold it up as a major trophy or anything to aspire to for a Premier League club (as admirable an achievement as it was at the time).

Well, since we weren´t a PL club at the moment it was one of the biggest trophy we could win then so why not embrace and enjoy it...?

(Winning FA or League Cup as a L1 team is not very likely)

Well, since we weren´t a PL club at the moment it was one of the biggest trophy we could win then so why not embrace and enjoy it...?

Who says I didn't enjoy it?

It's just not something I'd list amongst the club's greatest achievements, not really close. I found it more fun than sustained Premier League mid table stability, but it was much less of an achievement IMO. Fair enough if you hold it higher than that, I really don't.

Who hasn't embraced and enjoyed it? It was a good day out and good for us to win.

I enjoyed it. One of the best days of my Saints supporting life, we might not get to Wembley again for a while.

It does not, however, form part of an "unrivalled period of success" for Southampton Football Club. It's a pretty worthless small club tin pot trophy.

Yep, an ego.

Lol. Can't be bothered to read this (or many other threads) at the moment but having worked for him, good riddance to bad rubbish. 25 years in business and haven't come across many bigger c** ts. And that's from soneone who got paid in full and on time. Well rid.

Who says I didn't enjoy it?

It's just not something I'd list amongst the club's greatest achievements, not really close. I found it more fun than sustained Premier League mid table stability, but it was much less of an achievement IMO. Fair enough if you hold it higher than that, I really don't.

My comment was mostly because I though you were belittleing it with your smug question about Pulis winning it...

My comment was mostly because I though you were belittleing it with your smug question about Pulis winning it...

I quite clearly was, but I was belittling it because it's a second rate trophy that only the bottom 48 sides in the league can compete for. A fantastic day out at the time but nothing to hold your hat on as an achievement by a club who have spent the bulk of the last 40 years in the top division and for all but 2 of those years have technically been overqualified to actually enter in the first place. didn't stop my enjoyment of it, of course. It just didn't set a high benchmark for me.