Cortese speaking to BBC for first time since leaving Saints

Saint Garrett

Blimey, the vitriol and disregard for Cortese highlighted in this thread is the most shocking thing.

Okay so he's no longer with us so is open for ridicule but Christ give the guy some credit. People with short memories seem to forget that it was Cortese that bought Markus' attention to us as a viable investment. It was Cortese who implemented the foundations which we are still reaping the benefits today. He wasn't perfect, the spat with Le Tissier was disgusting and by all accounts Cortese was difficult to deal with. Putting those issues to one side... the guy delivered on his plan and then some.

He walked because KL wasn't prepared to fund the project anymore IMO. You will find that many others will leave because of this reason IMO. I wish he was still here and we were still being funded by KL. She sees things differently and I can't say I blame her either. She is not that interested in football and less interested in ****ing away her inheritance on something she has no real interest in. For the life of me I can't se why anyone would invest in football unless you have billions to p*** away.

I personally don't disagree with anything in that short article.

Sorry to take an opposing view to the majority here but I thought it worth a posting just to try and redress the balance.

Well if that was the taster for a longer interview then it's not worth waiting for...................

What a non event!

What did you expect? It was always going to be pretty anodyne. Just a bit of flannel.

A few thoughts :-

1. I would imagine his pay off package means that he had to be careful what he says.

2. He may know full well that because of release clauses in the players contracts that should the right offer come in the is no way the club can stop some big money moves.

3. Not surprisingly he is trying to make himself look as good as possible (as any of us would do in his shoes)

Nothing much for anyone to moan about in that. What he says is pretty much as most of knew already......and i have no doubt that if he were still at the helm we would not have as much uncertaintity about the manager and top players staying. I really don't think anyone can doubt he sold his vision to the players.....ok i totally accept he was playing a game of monopoly as none of the money being spent was real to him

He speaks sense and whilst I didn't like some of the things he did and the way he treated the fans I do actually wish he was still in charge.

For one we would know where we stand. For two we won't get bullied by bigger clubs into doing something that is not in the best interests of SFC. For three we would still have a vision and no doubt a 2nd 5yr plan with a chance of keeping our manager and players.

So he is basically saying that MP should stay at Southampton, have I read that right ?

Or read between the lines he is saying stay away from Spurs and Levy !

That was the feeling I got after reading the article. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part?

Trousers . That's not a great exclusive . Smith probably convinced the BBC to fund his trip to Milan . What a waste of licence payers money . BBC sack that buffoon

yeah quite the budget he blew there. maybe 200 quid return in the redeye flight out of stanstead and back that evening after a short interview with an ex chairman. no expence soared there then ha ha

If he says no one was going to leave then obviously that would have definitely happened. He's just brilliant, ain't he?

Obviously. PMSL. And of course how would he keep players if KL told him that the club had to sell? Its clearly a pack of lies...he never had the best interests of the club in mind.

He speaks sense and whilst I didn't like some of the things he did and the way he treated the fans I do actually wish he was still in charge.

For one we would know where we stand. For two we won't get bullied by bigger clubs into doing something that is not in the best interests of SFC. For three we would still have a vision and no doubt a 2nd 5yr plan with a chance of keeping our manager and players.

Great post....agree.

Its all about the timing to get the maximum impact. Shaw to Utd will be announced very soon which Cortese is fully aware of. The interview smacks of agenda but he is right no matter how you look at it. It is clear to me the boards ambitions are far less than that of the manager and players. Cortese sold them the vision regardless whether it was achievable or not.

So he wouldnt have let any players go...but he would after 2 seasons? Isnt that letting players go?

Sounds like he would have resisted as much as possible in the quest to break the glass ceiling but would have let players move on in a couple of seasons if (or when) that wasn't achieved.

Can probably summarise what will be said into a short paragraph.

''I had a great time at Southampton, the owners obviously have new idea's. I wanted to take Southampton to new levels, everyone believed in the vision I had, but they wouldn't allow me to do that. The players would not have been let go on my watch as the ambition remained within me, but not within the club.''.

I'e I was amazing, all success was down to me, the owners who bankrolled my ambition and who i wanted to continue to bankroll my ambition are nothing but jerks etc. etc.

Done a lot of good stuff, but he is a total PR disaster.

ITK?

. Now go back to your drinking and leave my posts in peace so I don't have to suffer through your paragraphs of nothing.
that is a disgusting post and you should be ashamed. FC posts in a fair and balanced way and does not deserve jibes like that. The amount of times you have threatened to leave this site in the past as somebody had been rude to you should make you more considerate to others.

Its all about the timing to get the maximum impact. Shaw to Utd will be announced very soon which Cortese is fully aware of. The interview smacks of agenda but he is right no matter how you look at it. It is clear to me the boards ambitions are far less than that of the manager and players. Cortese sold them the vision regardless whether it was achievable or not.

So he sold them a lie?

As I predicted absolutely nothing controversial but the timing of this says a lot more than the words do.

He knows what's going to happen shortly, obviously.

Obviously? Its not so obvious to me what you two are talking about? Please enlighten us with your opinions and not just allude to them.. not a wind-up, I am genuinely interested.

Alluding to things that may happen but not actually explaining them doesn't create such a good forum for debate. Come on guys - this place has been great the last week or two.

No one would have left with him in charge, despite how much of someone else's money he was spending.

He knew sooner or later that the books would need balancing, so left at the right time.

Probably true (Ox's departure seemed to stiffen the Don's resolve). Cortese knew how to silence speculation. However, Katherina had to reign in Nicola's spending excesses. But it could have helped considerably if the new Board have not been sending out early, naive mixed messages, as S-Clarke has said in the Lovren thread:

'They should not have publicly come out and said ''We've inherited a bad financial situation'' and ''we will start discussions with clubs at the end of the season'' - as that basically says, we're open for business. Come and talk to us, welcome to the South Coast fire sale. Pathetically nievee and has set the tone for the entire summer. That's why I'm kind of happy that the club keep quiet until there's something to announce, as everything they've said so far has either been PR Guff or an own goal of the highest order.'

Obviously? Its not so obvious to me what you two are talking about? Please enlighten us with your opinions and not just allude to them.. not a wind-up, I am genuinely interested.

Alluding to things that may happen but not actually explaining them doesn't create such a good forum for debate. Come on guys - this place has been great the last week or two.

It's obvious we are going to lose Shaw and probably Adam shortly. Looking like Pochettino too.

Sounds like he would have resisted as much as possible in the quest to break the glass ceiling but would have let players move on in a couple of seasons if (or when) that wasn't achieved.

He let Oxlade-Chamberlain go and apparently was in the process of selling one of our best players (Ricky Lambert) to West Ham just before he left.

"I can tell you that I didn't have that fear to the last day I was at the club," he said.

"I was confident about plenty of conversations I had with the players. I knew the players themselves wanted to stick together because this vision was something they believed in, too. I didn't see any reason for them to go.

"I didn't have written offers, but I obviously had phone calls. My answer was that it was not going to happen for at least the next two seasons. The other chairmen respected that. Until the day I left, there were no offers."

This is exactly right guys, not matter what you said. He was our hard bastard and none of our youngsters would have gone unless it benefited the club and cortese's ambition. He may have been going to sell Lambert we don't know for sure, but if he was, then £6m-8m for him was great business.

The new board have so far been pathetic since he's left, and are systematically undoing everything he set in place - worse comercial deals, no kit, undoing the youth set up, actively trying to break the team cohesion (they are being that retarded :mcinnes:), no evident ambition or plan...

I hope they pull their fingers out, but so far I would much rather Cortese was still here than this lot.

If he says no one was going to leave then obviously that would have definitely happened. He's just brilliant, ain't he?
he said after his conversations with players and that they bought into what the club were wanting to achieve. Of course the possibility of playing for a massive club could have been a lure as massive contracts, but sometimes people don't need all that to be happy. LS has time on his side, AL is from the area so in theory they might have stayed. I see no reason to disbelieve NC and considering how the majority on this site were cutting their throats when NC left and also fell for the Wilde bunch perhaps you will forgive me being less than supportive of some of the views on here.(i dont remember your stance on Wilde)

Our new board is all fart and no sh1t, it'll become apparent soon if it hasn't already. Players aren't exactly enamoured by our new "mid-table" ambitions and who can blame them. Very annoying, just when we'd got a squad and a first 16 or so who could genuinely, genuinely compete. Cortese is right, they bought his vision and he was going to build on that. Yes, KL's money but we really do now have people in charge who are setting us up for a lot of disappointment - but they do write nice letters, tbf

having digested what the Don has had to say for the last couple of hours has certainly not helped me feel any better about our current situation. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months and indeed the next couple of weeks when i think we will know if we will be looking for a new manager and having to replace some of our best players. The only small shred of comfort i draw from the Dons comments are those about MP. I think he may well of adviced MP to stay put for now and not put his head on the block in a job like the Spurs manager. Obviously this was probably all prior to the Don leaving and Poch may have other thoughts now.....but one thing does make sense, Poch and his team keep saying they don't understand the English obsession with contract talks because he has another year left on it....i think its quite possible he intends to see out that year and then evaluate his position. Just my opinion.

I don't think the Don knows anymore than you and i what is going on regarding possible transfers. I can't see any of our board or KL phoning him and saying we have had this or that offer for Luke/Adam etc etc. He is purely speculating the obvious, that other clubs will be interested in our players and that he would have done his best to prevent anyone leaving. Love him or hate him, he had a vision, the manager and the players bought into it.....unfortunately KL decided some of his power hold needed reigning in....and to be fair its her money.

Precisely. The admission that we might only be able to keep some players for another couple of seasons is telling. The plan was never to keep players forever but to ensure they contributed as much as possible, sell them and then kick on again, hopefully from a stronger position. Incremental progress.

There's no reason why several of our players, especially the younger ones, can't make progress with us for another season or two before parting ways. It's not unrealistic - just needs to be forcefully articulated.

having digested what the Don has had to say for the last couple of hours has certainly not helped me feel any better about our current situation. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months and indeed the next couple of weeks when i think we will know if we will be looking for a new manager and having to replace some of our best players. The only small shred of comfort i draw from the Dons comments are those about MP. I think he may well of adviced MP to stay put for now and not put his head on the block in a job like the Spurs manager. Obviously this was probably all prior to the Don leaving and Poch may have other thoughts now.....but one thing does make sense, Poch and his team keep saying they don't understand the English obsession with contract talks because he has another year left on it....i think its quite possible he intends to see out that year and then evaluate his position. Just my opinion.

I don't think the Don knows anymore than you and i what is going on regarding possible transfers. I can't see any of our board or KL phoning him and saying we have had this or that offer for Luke/Adam etc etc. He is purely speculating the obvious, that other clubs will be interested in our players and that he would have done his best to prevent anyone leaving. Love him or hate him, he had a vision, the manager and the players bought into it.....unfortunately KL decided some of his power hold needed reigning in....and to be fair its her money.

So do you not think Cortese still has contact with certain players? I am 100% confident he knows about potential outgoing transfers which is why he has decided now is a good time to make it known he would not have sold our best players under his watch to make him look good and to make the new board look weak.

Our new board is all fart and no sh1t, it'll become apparent soon if it hasn't already. Players aren't exactly enamoured by our new "mid-table" ambitions and who can blame them. Very annoying, just when we'd got a squad and a first 16 or so who could genuinely, genuinely compete. Cortese is right, they bought his vision and he was going to build on that. Yes, KL's money but we really do now have people in charge who are setting us up for a lot of disappointment - but they do write nice letters, tbf

I wish you could like posts on here. Very well said.

'They should not have publicly come out and said ''We've inherited a bad financial situation'' and ''we will start discussions with clubs at the end of the season'' - as that basically says, we're open for business. Come and talk to us, welcome to the South Coast fire sale. Pathetically nievee and has set the tone for the entire summer. That's why I'm kind of happy that the club keep quiet until there's something to announce, as everything they've said so far has either been PR Guff or an own goal of the highest order.'

I agree entirely. Once it was said that the incoming board had inherited a difficult financial position, the vultures started circling, sensing that they could have the choice of pickings from our star players. Had that statement seen the light of day from within the club with Cortese still in charge, the responsible individual would no doubt be looking for a job elsewhere. The damage has now been done, but it would be nice to believe that a valuable lesson has been learned and that somebody with a bit more PR skill will prevent such a faux pas ever occurring again.

Adam Blackmore has been interacting with fans all morning on twitter.

Massively concerned that players don't know what is going on or what the plan is. No wonder none of them appear keen to want to commit to stay.

Cork and Fonte's contracts really are the lowest of the low hanging fruit, whatever our ambitions are.