Cortese speaking to BBC for first time since leaving Saints

Saint Garrett

I agree entirely. Once it was said that the incoming board had inherited a difficult financial position, the vultures started circling, sensing that they could have the choice of pickings from our star players. Had that statement seen the light of day from within the club with Cortese still in charge, the responsible individual would no doubt be looking for a job elsewhere. The damage has now been done, but it would be nice to believe that a valuable lesson has been learned and that somebody with a bit more PR skill will prevent such a faux pas ever occurring again.

Spot on, but our wonderful new board were more motivated by having a cheap shot at Cortese than worrying about the club, as proved with later statements they've made.

Cortese was a **** but this lot are about to do some really significant damage. They might as well now, anyway... they've already destabilised our best squad in years.

Well I am not so sure that his oddly timed outing to the press is that helpful to Southampton fc. Latest headline in the Echo is "Nicola Cortese: I would have kept this Saints side together had I stayed at St Mary's"

Well done Nicola, that's what we need now. Must give you a warm glow but what about every one else? [Or is it as I have always thought,that its not about any one else]?

Also I cant help thinking that it is quite easy to sell an expansive vision, but should he have been peddling that if he wasn't certain he could have the means to fulfill it. After all he was selling the dream based on some one elses money.

There seems something rather poor to me that a person should build up players hopes with a vision that they obviously would buy into to then slide away when he felt it couldn't happen and then to subtly blame the very person that was funding " his dream"

I would have respected him if he had stayed around to fight his corner but of course that would not have been the easy option.

Finally let me say to give some balance, I do feel Cortese did a good job while he was in place, certainly in Manager recruitment and I a sure other areas but his latest foray into the press does nothing to allay my thoughts about him as not having our clubs over all best interests ahead of his own.

Precisely. The admission that we might only be able to keep some players for another couple of seasons is telling. The plan was never to keep players forever but to ensure they contributed as much as possible, sell them and then kick on again, hopefully from a stronger position. Incremental progress.

There's no reason why several of our players, especially the younger ones, can't make progress with us for another season or two before parting ways. It's not unrealistic - just needs to be forcefully articulated.

All players can continue to progress year on year, at what point would you/NC sell them? It is easy for NC to sit there and say he wouldn't sell now, I can sit here and say the same, it's irrelevant, we're not the ones making the decisions of managing the situation.

I agree entirely. Once it was said that the incoming board had inherited a difficult financial position, the vultures started circling, sensing that they could have the choice of pickings from our star players. Had that statement seen the light of day from within the club with Cortese still in charge, the responsible individual would no doubt be looking for a job elsewhere. The damage has now been done, but it would be nice to believe that a valuable lesson has been learned and that somebody with a bit more PR skill will prevent such a faux pas ever occurring again.
I doubt Man Utd or Liverpool's summer transfer policy would be structured around our quick press releases.

Our new board is all fart and no sh1t, it'll become apparent soon if it hasn't already. Players aren't exactly enamoured by our new "mid-table" ambitions and who can blame them. Very annoying, just when we'd got a squad and a first 16 or so who could genuinely, genuinely compete. Cortese is right, they bought his vision and he was going to build on that. Yes, KL's money but we really do now have people in charge who are setting us up for a lot of disappointment - but they do write nice letters, tbf
We have a squad that can "genuinely, genuinely compete" for what?

Well I am not so sure that his oddly timed outing to the press is that helpful to Southampton fc. Latest headline in the Echo is "Nicola Cortese: I would have kept this Saints side together had I stayed at St Mary's"

Well done Nicola, that's what we need now. Must give you a warm glow but what about every one else? [Or is it as I have always thought,that its not about any one else]?

Also I cant help thinking that it is quite easy to sell an expansive vision, but should he have been peddling that if he wasn't certain he could have the means to fulfill it. After all he was selling the dream based on some one elses money.

There seems something rather poor to me that a person should build up players hopes with a vision that they obviously would buy into to then slide away when he felt it couldn't happen and then to subtly blame the very person that was funding " his dream"

I would have respected him if he had stayed around to fight his corner but of course that would not have been the easy option.

Finally let me say to give some balance, I do feel Cortese did a good job while he was in place, certainly in Manager recruitment and I a sure other areas but his latest foray into the press does nothing to allay my thoughts about him as not having our clubs over all best interests ahead of his own.

Um, don't want to burst your bubble, but Cortese increased their initial investment into something worth around £150m, a fivefold increase in five years.

He also posted only a loss of 7.5m last season, and a massive increase in profits this year. So really, he wasn't relying on Katrina's Money and people need to stop beating him with that stick, you look like idiots.

Once Pochettino's future has been decided, I'm sure the Board will communicate with the players what the new 'project' entails. Until then, it's up in the air. Adam Blackmore's tweets are slightly concerning, however. We'll see!

Easy to say what needs to be done when you are no longer in charge. When push came to shove Cortese couldn't keep Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in League 1, even with him there was always a time when he knew the fight couldn't be won.

It's impossible for him to be certain of exactly how things would play out now under his juristiction, he is not in charge of Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Morgan Schneiderlin at this stage in their careers. Words only mean so much, regardless of who they are from and what they have achieved.

That article could have been vindictive but instead it just seems common sense, yes we need to keep our better players to progress and yes I have no doubt Cortese would have worked to tie them down.... nothing revolutionary here.

Um, don't want to burst your bubble, but Cortese increased their initial investment into something worth around £150m, a fivefold increase in five years.

He also posted only a loss of 7.5m last season, and a massive increase in profits this year. So really, he wasn't relying on Katrina's Money and people need to stop beating him with that stick, you look like idiots.

Interesting the family have invested 55 million to date, of which 33 has been converted to equity. There is a further 63 million pounds in commitments.

Massive increase in profits this year? You are obviously privy to the accounts which are not due for another 10 months, because as of this year it looks like the family might have had to put their hand in their pocket again.

You might want to also look at the charge against the club (For ALL assets - That is the stadium, the land the training ground, the players - even the toilet roll) that was for a loan that was taken against future TV income and season ticket sales - Ironically one of those loans that Cortese said we would never take out.

You might want to check your maths before you call people idiots.

Nothing too bad, but it's all very well and too easy to say 'no-one would have left under me'. Fact is we'll never know.

Every other post on the transfer rumours thread is people stating how naive it is to expect players to stay. Big clubs, CL football, money, ambition etc. I don't see all that magically changing because Cortese is in charge.

I tend to agree with this.

However I think what he is trying to say is that under him he had a clear idea of how the club could progress and that the players bought into it. Saying our aim was European football within a few years is something they might of wanted to be apart of with the club.

Right now indications look that we don't have that ambition, we don't know what the plans are. If it is a simple case of making £70m a year through the PL and someone pocketing the majority of that it sends out the message to the players that if they want to progress to European football it won't be happening here. Which by accounts (all rumour) is why some want to leave.

Personally I think the board really do need to come out now and state what our aims are. If they don't want to fund the club and try and make it go forwards then maybe it is time they sold it to someone who would. There would be plenty of business companies/people who would want to buy a top 8 PL club with the infrastructure we have in place.

To those saying that Cortese is pre-empting the sales and getting his two pennies worth in now to make us think 'what could have been', on that basis that fact he is advising MoPo to think very carefully before jumping ship could arguably suggest he knows he is staying so wants to come across like the wise power who gave him the advice to stay on.

Just a thought....

I tend to agree with this.

However I think what he is trying to say is that under him he had a clear idea of how the club could progress and that the players bought into it. Saying our aim was European football within a few years is something they might of wanted to be apart of with the club.

Right now indications look that we don't have that ambition, we don't know what the plans are. If it is a simple case of making £70m a year through the PL and someone pocketing the majority of that it sends out the message to the players that if they want to progress to European football it won't be happening here. Which by accounts (all rumour) is why some want to leave.

Personally I think the board really do need to come out now and state what our aims are. If they don't want to fund the club and try and make it go forwards then maybe it is time they sold it to someone who would. There would be plenty of business companies/people who would want to buy a top 8 PL club with the infrastructure we have in place.

You think anyone is going to be making £70m a year from the club? :lol:

You think anyone is going to be making £70m a year from the club? :lol:

That isn't what I said. I said if the plan was for the club to simply stay in the PL and take in the revenues ala Norwich whilst the owner taking the majority of what is earned, sends out a lack of ambition to the players/staff. If our goal was to survive rather then push forward do you really think players would want to stay/come here?

How did he propose keeping all the players together with no financial support from Katherina?

Therein lies the problem with taking NC seriously, he had no money, just played with the Liebherr funding and like a good banker hopefully made them a profit !

Who's to say RK etc are not open to offers for players, they have told us as much ?

I also do not believe this present squad is good enough to break into the next level without significant investment, which , at this moment , may or may not happen.

Yes I would have felt more confident of keeping our best players if Cortese was still at the helm. Despite his many foibles, he was fantastic at his job and clearly very skilled at uniting our young players and more experienced ones behind a shared vision.

But if KL was never going to keep pumping the money in to sustain the CL dream then it is all a moot point really. Without additional money NC was already managing the club beyond its means. He might have managed another summer window of spending c. £30m by taking out a few loans, staggering the payments, and securing them against expected future earnings of club.

We'd all love that short-term. A few more players, the existing squad united behind NC's dream, perhaps even sustaining a push for the top 4 a bit longer.

Like it or not though, KL is the owner, and it's clear that she wasn't prepared to keep on bankrolling the club every summer - or at least not prepared to do so without having any say in how her club was being run. At some point that was always going to come to a head, and despite what looks like being a really tough summer, it is better that it has already happened. You can have the most ambitious chairman in the world who promises the European Cup within 5 years, but little sense in that if you don't have an owner to sustain those ambitions. While NC might seem petulant in resigning because KL wanted a bigger say, he obviously realised that the void between his targets and the financial means to achieve them was too great.

Obviously, there is a bit of a lull around the club at the moment after what has been a mostly exhilarating season - a gap between the ambitions raised by NC and the more concrete reality faced by the new board. KL and RK haven't covered themselves in glory. The initial talk of openness and honesty, hasn't really been matched by the vagueness and PR guff of RK - a likeable man, but one who talks a lot without really ever saying anything.

I can't help but feel that they should have taken a harder line with Poch and at least put it out there that they had offered him an extension. Even if he were to reject it, at the very least, that would communicate some intent and ambition towards the players.

Thinking out loud.....could Cortese's media intervention actually help 'the club' retain the likes of Shaw and Lallana? Maybe it'll jolt Krueger and co into putting a halt to any transfers that were in the balance in a "anything you can do we can do better" retort to Cortese's "wouldn't happen not on my watch" quotes?

Probably not but thought I'd throw it out there.

Therein lies the problem with taking NC seriously, he had no money, just played with the Liebherr funding and like a good banker hopefully made them a profit !

Who's to say RK etc are not open to offers for players, they have told us as much ?

I also do not believe this present squad is good enough to break into the next level without significant investment, which , at this moment , may or may not happen.

But we do have up to 5 players who could playe champions league. A few shrewd bits of business to improve the squad would close the gap with those above us quite significantly IMO and it wouldn't cost the earth. Just better use of the amounts of money spent in the summer since we came up.

This is exactly right guys, not matter what you said. He was our hard bastard and none of our youngsters would have gone unless it benefited the club and cortese's ambition.

Very easy for him to say now that he has no responsibility over the club or its players.

The new board have so far been pathetic since he's left, and are systematically undoing everything he set in place - worse comercial deals

Veho is a step up from aap3.

no kit

There is a kit. Plus the damage there was done by Adidas under Cortese's stewardship.

undoing the youth set up

Evidence that Dodd and Williams leaving will completely undo the setup? I fathom our youth structure is based on more than individuals. Evidence that the board had any choice in the matter?

actively trying to break the team cohesion (they are being that retarded :mcinnes:)

You could argue that they're passively allowing team cohesion to break, but I'm baffled as to how they're actively trying to initiate it.

The above post is symptomatic of revisionist viewpoints held by some of our fanbase. Nobody's doubting Cortese did a fantastic job in enabling us to flourish on the pitch, but for how long were his methods sustainable? Making enemies left, right and centre, leaving the corporate boxes half-empty etc. etc. We'll eventually see how much of a mess he left the books in too.

It's easy to hold up Cortese as some sort of messiah that held all of the answers. It's easy in a time of fears and unknowns to turn to him and say "you'd have held it together, wouldn't you?" and lap up his platitudes.

We have no idea how many times NC was actually tested with respect to batting away transfer bids. He certainly never had to deal with a situation equivalent to our current one. He plays the no-nonsense hardman but we'll never know how well he'd have coped this Summer.

That isn't what I said. I said if the plan was for the club to simply stay in the PL and take in the revenues ala Norwich whilst the owner taking the majority of what is earned, sends out a lack of ambition to the players/staff. If our goal was to survive rather then push forward do you really think players would want to stay/come here?
Where have you seen anywhere, even speculation on here, about the owners earning significant monies out of the club year on year? It's not relevant.

Yes I would have felt more confident of keeping our best players if Cortese was still at the helm. Despite his many foibles, he was fantastic at his job and clearly very skilled at uniting our young players and more experienced ones behind a shared vision.

But if KL was never going to keep pumping the money in to sustain the CL dream then it is all a moot point really. Without additional money NC was already managing the club beyond its means. He might have managed another summer window of spending c. £30m by taking out a few loans, staggering the payments, and securing them against expected future earnings of club.

It is a shame that NC could not remain. But for a bit of humility on his part I imagine he might still be at the helm.

But his desire to spend was a worrying trait as it looked very Ridsdalesque in its approach.

Where have you seen anywhere, even speculation on here, about the owners earning significant monies out of the club year on year? It's not relevant.

Again you are not reading what I have said or simply do not understand it....

So let me put it a different way. So we supposedly earned £70m from TV fees this season. We are about to sell (if rumours are true) Lallana for around £25m and Shaw for around £30m. Add to that the possibility of selling Lovren for £15m and Mopo going which brings in £2m through his contract. That would be around £140m brought into the club. Are you honestly saying from the 'vibes' you are getting that money will be re-invested into the club to buy suitable replacements that would enable the club to push on? Honestly?

Blackmore quotes director in inverted commas: 'She [Katharina] has same ambition as her father'

Now the debate is whether Markus had the same ambition as Cortese. He certainly put the money up for it, as did Katharina.

This is exactly right guys, not matter what you said. He was our hard bastard and none of our youngsters would have gone unless it benefited the club and cortese's ambition. He may have been going to sell Lambert we don't know for sure, but if he was, then £6m-8m for him was great business.

The new board have so far been pathetic since he's left, and are systematically undoing everything he set in place - worse comercial deals, no kit, undoing the youth set up, actively trying to break the team cohesion (they are being that retarded :mcinnes:), no evident ambition or plan...

I hope they pull their fingers out, but so far I would much rather Cortese was still here than this lot.

that just about sums it up perfectly for me.

Who is this Adam Blackmore ? Has he got nothing to do but tweet rumours all day . I'm suprised he hasn't flown out to Portugal to do an exclusive with the saints players in the England squad . Just like his BBC mate

You are very quick to cast dispersions despite not even bothering to find out who he is. FYI he commentates on saints matches home and away for Solent, he is pretty knowledgeable, trustworthy and close to some of the players. Let's just say he is a lot closer to what is going on than you, but don't let that stop you climbing on a bandwagon.

It is undeniable that he presided over very successful period and he should get credit for that. I am simply stating though that he did not complete the job. He raised expectations and walked away. It is easy to raise expectations but much harder to fulfil them. I do not think he had our best interests at heart as surely if he did he would have stayed around? Also why come out now, at clearly a tricky time to feed headlines such as are in the Echo today.

I think to say "he wasn't relying on Katrina's Money and people need to stop beating him with that stick, you look like idiots" is a bit harsh, and I think lacking in understanding of the whole picture.

Any way we are all entitled to an opinion, I think mine is clear, with out the need of insults.

Interesting link here http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/35104/? So clearly I am not the only one with the thoughts I have expressed.

The key word is 'vision'

A Statement of Intent from the new Board is urgently required.

What is the next Five Year Plan?

Or any plan?

No club can stay the same. It is either onward and upward.

Or downwards.

Reading the article really made me miss Cortese, what a c*nt but his vision was clear, I loved it and for all the fluffy home is where the heart is guff, save our stripes and staff matches at SMS.. well frankly I couldnt give a sh*t about any of it!

I am annoyed beyond belief the media, the club, KL & RK, the Don, Poch, Shaw et al have all allowed this circus to happen, its spoiled the end of our greatest ever PL season, our greatest ever team (in my lifetime), our players in the WC squad, and the highest point on our pheonix rise from League 1.

Thinking out loud.....could Cortese's media intervention actually help 'the club' retain the likes of Shaw and Lallana? Maybe it'll jolt Krueger and co into putting a halt to any transfers that were in the balance in a "anything you can do we can do better" retort to Cortese's "wouldn't happen not on my watch" quotes?

Probably not but thought I'd throw it out there.

I thought the same, it certainly undermines the boards position and ambition, and if KL wont sell to an NC group out of spite or whatever then she certainly wont like being exposed in this way via the BBC of all media channels.

Without Marcus Liebhers money he would never have been chairman! He needed his cash initially. He was a private banker. His job was to increase the wealth of wealthy people. That's what he was trying to do at Saints. You also ignore the debts that were replaced with equity (Liebher cash).

Great interview by the Don and speaks 100% sense. Why bring young players thourgh to sell them??swallow your pride kitty kat amd bring him back

Because its a sensible business model! If you can keep developing talent and then selling them for huge fees, reinvest a little allowing the new seedlings to develop, the club continues to grow and become profitable.

Or would you rather Lallana, Shaw and Lambert stayed until they retired, so blocking the progress of the development squad.

They have to fly the nest when they are ready to fly. We have younger mouths to feed.

Because its a sensible business model! If you can keep developing talent and then selling them for huge fees, reinvest a little allowing the new seedlings to develop, the club continues to grow and become profitable.

Or would you rather Lallana, Shaw and Lambert stayed until they retired, so blocking the progress of the development squad.

They have to fly the nest when they are ready to fly. We have younger mouths to feed.

are you being serious with that statement?

We've found Rupert Lowe.

All players can continue to progress year on year, at what point would you/NC sell them? It is easy for NC to sit there and say he wouldn't sell now, I can sit here and say the same, it's irrelevant, we're not the ones making the decisions of managing the situation.

No they can't. On our current (and sustainable) spending path, we have a chance to challenge the top 6 after which further progress gets very difficult. That gives us a window of maybe one, two seasons in which we can make a legitimate case to our top players that we're a better option than others. Crucially most of our players are young -Lallana is the key exception which lessens the urgency of a move. Even the Man U fans I speak to can see the benefits for Shaw to hang around a little longer- good football, a familiar environment without fear of failure, international recognition. He's arguably got a better chance of a move to Chelsea with us.

Nobody has said things will last forever, a subtlety lost on many; but getting the most out of our players would put us in a competitively and financially stronger position to kick on again.

Contrast that with the current situation where there is uncertainty not only about our ambitions but also bread and butter issues like contracts of squad players.

Again you are not reading what I have said or simply do not understand it....

So let me put it a different way. So we supposedly earned £70m from TV fees this season. We are about to sell (if rumours are true) Lallana for around £25m and Shaw for around £30m. Add to that the possibility of selling Lovren for £15m and Mopo going which brings in £2m through his contract. That would be around £140m brought into the club. Are you honestly saying from the 'vibes' you are getting that money will be re-invested into the club to buy suitable replacements that would enable the club to push on? Honestly?

You think that would just leave £140m floating around to be invested in the team? No on-going running costs, liabilities or debts? Of course if we sell we will reinvest. But you are suggesting the club is going to be milked for money by KL?

Interesting the full article, I think there is a lot of value in what he says, interesting that we were 18months into the next 5yr project, assume KL pulled the plug on funds to get us to our destination of winning the league.

Sounds like we are going to become a Lyon/Roma of the PL, sell and move on.

No they can't. On our current (and sustainable) spending path, we have a chance to challenge the top 6 after which further progress gets very difficult. That gives us a window of maybe one, two seasons in which we can make a legitimate case to our top players that we're a better option than others. Crucially most of our players are young -Lallana is the key exception which lessens the urgency of a move. Even the Man U fans I speak to can see the benefits for Shaw to hang around a little longer- good football, a familiar environment without fear of failure, international recognition. He's arguably got a better chance of a move to Chelsea with us.

Nobody has said things will last forever, a subtlety lost on many; but getting the most out of our players would put us in a competitively and financially stronger position to kick on again.

Contrast that with the current situation where there is uncertainty not only about our ambitions but also bread and butter issues like contracts of squad players.

So at what point would you sell Lallana? What would be your "legitimate case" to our players that we are a better option than Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc? Edited by Sour Mash