Cortese speaking to BBC for first time since leaving Saints

Saint Garrett

Cant quite believe how much grief nc gets from the fanbase.

Think your find it is only one or two on here who give him grief. Pretty sure most of the fanbase appreciate what he did for the club and things he put in place for the future of the club i.e new facilities.

I am personally looking forward to reading it as we have not heard from him since he left. I would much rather Cortese was still running things in regards to dealing with the transfers. We would not get messed about.

What makes me laugh is people slag him off but seem to forget the guy who has replaced him is actually someone who has no experience in football, no experience with running a company etc. But no doubt these people will turn on him soon enough too.

Suspect it will be more 'timely' sh!t-stirring from NC.

No doubt acting like the child who has had his action man or subuteo set taken away from him. (failing to realise perhaps that it was not his but only on loan in the first place).

Nah. I reckon his PR company will tell him to come across reasonably whilst painting himself as the victim. Probably angling for another job in football.

Edited by hypochondriac

Think your find it is only one or two on here who give him grief. Pretty sure most of the fanbase appreciate what he did for the club and things he put in place for the future of the club i.e new facilities.

I am personally looking forward to reading it as we have not heard from him since he left. I would much rather Cortese was still running things in regards to dealing with the transfers. We would not get messed about.

What makes me laugh is people slag him off but seem to forget the guy who has replaced him is actually someone who has no experience in football, no experience with running a company etc. But no doubt these people will turn on him soon enough too.

Probably more than one or two actually but as far as I can surmise most of the distinctly antis have had their nose put out of joint by Cortese in some way or other. Obviously a hard man to work for, then again anyone who implemented a strict work ethic might suffer the same reaction in the UK.

I'm looking forward forward to this. It's about time the dwarf made a statement on why he walked out on 'his baby' the players who worship him who he is like a father to and explain to his adoring fan base why he didn't stick around to deliver on his champions league talk. This should be good.

We would with no money.

Nah. I reckon his PR company will tell him to come across reasonably whilst painting himself as the victim. Probably angling for another job in football.

How about this for completely made up speculative bull****.

NC uses the PR opportunity to cast doubt about financial impropriety on his behalf, states his vision/project is still sound allowing him to re-emerge as chairman of Aston Villa after aqcquisition by another money laundering billionaire from Russia/China/Middle East/Far East . It's happening !!!

Bloody hell, this should be interesting.

Let's hope Smith gives him a thorough questioning. Cortese is a powerful contact to have but goodness knows if he'll ever make sport headlines after this. Ruffling his feathers a little - once he's told his side of the departure in full - would best serve the story.

How about this for completely made up speculative bull****.

NC uses the PR opportunity to cast doubt about financial impropriety on his behalf, states his vision/project is still sound allowing him to re-emerge as chairman of Aston Villa after aqcquisition by another money laundering billionaire from Russia/China/Middle East/Far East . It's happening !!!

Good shout. As valid an idea as any other. I still reckon he may pop up abroad though his move to AC Milan has gone suspiciously quiet. Almost as if it was entirely fabricated...

I still reckon he may pop up abroad though his move to AC Milan has gone suspiciously quiet. Almost as if it was entirely fabricated...

18th May...

Ben Smith@BenSmithBBC May 18

Back after few days by beautiful Aegean Sea. Alarm went off at 3.50am this morning. Off to Milan for an interview

20th May...

Ben Smith@BenSmithBBC 1h

You can read/listen to/watch my exclusive interview with former Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese across @BBCSport tomorrow

:suspicious: :D

I had an interesting conversation last week with a hugely-respected and highly-acclaimed BBC journalist.

I think it's fair to say Ben Smith is not universally liked by his colleagues in general, but in particular for his modus operandi in obtaining stories (an ethical issue the BBC sets great store by).

Words like "utter c*ck" and "complete knob-end" were used. And not by me.

18th May...

Ben Smith@BenSmithBBC May 18

Back after few days by beautiful Aegean Sea. Alarm went off at 3.50am this morning. Off to Milan for an interview

20th May...

Ben Smith@BenSmithBBC 1h

You can read/listen to/watch my exclusive interview with former Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese across @BBCSport tomorrow

:suspicious: :D

Why is Nicola in Milan then, thought he moved back to Ennetbaden.

The story that both sides want us to hear. Doubt we will ever get the actual truth. Imo katherina got rid of Nic cos she got a load of complaints from people that he was a massive cock and she didn't want a company she was responsible for behaving like that. Of course no one will admit that though.

I get the impression it was a cash thing TBH, but you are right we will never know. Im not really that bothered to hear from him if Im honest. Especially after all the stories that have been spun in the press since his departure. Yes he wasa cock, but it got things done. Hard to argue with our rise under his tenure

I get the impression it was a cash thing TBH, but you are right we will never know. Im not really that bothered to hear from him if Im honest. Especially after all the stories that have been spun in the press since his departure. Yes he wasa cock, but it got things done. Hard to argue with our rise under his tenure

Agree that anything he has to say is of little interest and will only serve to cause more speculation and destabilise things. He isn't coming back so he should not say anything at this time.

Agree that anything he has to say is of little interest and will only serve to cause more speculation and destabilise things. He isn't coming back so he should not say anything at this time.

Will be interesting if he says anything of any note or its just a load of hot air about what he could achieve yadda yadda

Will be interesting if he says anything of any note or its just a load of hot air about what he could achieve yadda yadda

Can't imagine what he could say that would be especially noteworthy unless he is angling for Katherina to sell to him (which I doubt.) I expect it will be a similar sort of thing to that PR piece just before he left i.e. bigging himself up and saying how everything will be destroyed now he is not there.

Can probably summarise what will be said into a short paragraph.

''I had a great time at Southampton, the owners obviously have new idea's. I wanted to take Southampton to new levels, everyone believed in the vision I had, but they wouldn't allow me to do that. The players would not have been let go on my watch as the ambition remained within me, but not within the club. I can promise all fans that I was running the club financially well, the owners just decided to withdraw funding''.

I'e I was amazing, all success was down to me, the owners who bankrolled my ambition and who i wanted to continue to bankroll my ambition are nothing but jerks etc. etc.

Done a lot of good stuff, but he is a total PR disaster.

I hope as a tv licence payer I'm not paying for Ben smith to enjoy himself in Milan for a ten minute exclusive interview BBC stop wasting taxpayers money
Yes you are, and I bet that as Ben is partying it up in Milan, wiping his arse on a 500 Euro note, he says "I hope I smeared VW's bit".

Such is the indifference to the licence paying public.

Since when do the BBC chase ex-chairmen of football clubs all across Europe??

Even that Fernandes fella at QPR only got an interview in London!

In all fairness, Saints are surrounded by some tinpot, attention-seeking, pretentious wannabe journos. Connor Armstrong (I just can't stand him) and Ben Smith for a start.

Cant quite believe how much grief nc gets from the fanbase.

Lets not forget it was him that talked marcus into buying the club and he only agreed to this if nc would run it,

If nc hadnt had this idea we would probably be slumming it out with pompey.

He was a cracking chairman too delivered pretty much everything he promised from the promotions to the southampton way playing style and keeping with the academy approach.

Plus every mangerial decision he made worked out and the ambition was rubbing off at everybody involved in the club.

All i read on here is him getting trashed all the time and loads of love for big kat who has effectively done nothing bar inheriting a football club she had no part in.

NC had a hand a large hand in where we are today, he was a c***** and for a while he was our c*****. But he is no longer a member of Southampton FC structure. There is no reason to be talking to the press about the club at this time when there is so much negative spin unless it is intended to harm or pass comment on something that is none of his business anymore. The meltdown didn't happen in January but it seems some are now intent to see something like it play out for reasons unknown to me.

If Cortese has any ill intent in this interview which I suspect will be aimed at turning the fans against the board it will be easy to spot, and he is simply going to show himself to be the petulant child many accused him of being during his tenure. I and I expect the many fans who will see through his game will retract all positive things that have been said about him in the past if he is so willing to tear down what he helped build so quickly.

Of course if he turns around and says positive things about the new board, its huge ambitions, and tells the players to stay then I will eat my words after awaking from the shock.

Why's everyone annoyed at Ben Smith, he has been offered an interview by a man who disappeared at the height of Saints popularity earlier in the year. Sure they are obviously mates with some sort of previous exposure deal but if you were being paid a fortune to go to Milan for a chat and to write the minutes in a paper would you turn it down?

I'm honestly shocked that Cortese hasn't turned up at Leeds with the Sicilian madman that owns them now. To buy our club he will need seriously mega wonga coz from all the hinted comments from Ablackmore and others there is a lot of bitterness at play and I get the impression Kat won't sell to him just make a point.

If he's a man of his word he'll be announcing that his investors that he had waiting in the wings are backing him in a takeover

This outcome would be interesting. Frankly, I wouldn't put anything past him or underestimate him. He'll be announcing something, and something Saints related would fit the reports of destabilisation.

Since when do the BBC chase ex-chairmen of football clubs all across Europe??

Even that Fernandes fella at QPR only got an interview in London!

In all fairness, Saints are surrounded by some tinpot, attention-seeking, pretentious wannabe journos. Connor Armstrong (I just can't stand him) and Ben Smith for a start.

Armstrong is the devil

Nasty piece of work, delivered a terrific result, stirring it up now when quiet stability is needed will destroy any goodwill. In the end is it going to be who cares what he thinks. BBC just wasting more money.

Nasty piece of work, delivered a terrific result, stirring it up now when quiet stability is needed will destroy any goodwill. In the end is it going to be who cares what he thinks. BBC just wasting more money.

depends what he says to be honest. I have no issue if 'correcting' issues around finance.. Thing he at least deserves a right of reply on that front... Just hope he is not going postal and starting g a public slanging. Not wrongful if he is just disappointed that he was unable to continue what had been started ( and like most is suspect it was more financial than anything else - although not in the 'I want to spend 100s of millions ' way that some seem keen to spread).

will be disappointed in him if we start getting dirty laundry, but let's wait and see when all is revealed...