Who from the first team would you sell to raise funds?

ozzmeister

So there's lots of stories in the media of who they think we're going to sell, most of which being our prizes players.

However should you be in charge of the club and had to raise some funds who would be on your 'transfer list'. Mine would be as followed:

-Jose fonte, great season but a player we need to improve should we want to get better. Cash in for 3million

-Nathaniel clyne, very good player but fortunately were gifted with a second very good player in that position. Sell for 7million

-Luke shaw, probably our biggest crown jewel but I'd rather sell him than AL as (I believe) left back is an easier position to replace. Would also provide us money for a decent shopping spree, sell 30million

-dani oswaldo, obvious one really, bad influence although has obvious talent (would actually love him to turn it around), sell 7million

That give us 47 million, throw in another 3 million and that's a 50million war chest. I won't speculate on players but that would give us circa , 20million for a world class striker, 10-15milliom for a class dental defender,, 10million on a left back, and 5million on right back cover.

I don't believe we need to to sell players to raise funds.

I'd let Osvaldo go for as much as we could possibly get, and I wouldn't stop Gaston leaving if he insisted. and I'd be happy for £17-20 mil for both.

As any club who's had a big influx of new players can testify, it's sometimes best to try and limit transfers in order to establish stability in the squad. This certainly worked to Saints benefit last season: we introduced Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovren into the squad. Two of those barely featured during the season, meaning that the rest of the squad was secure in the knowledge of their individual roles, and had the space to develop. So, how many would I sell? Just two players:

Osvaldo: Clearly a talented player but he lacks the focus and attitude generally adopted by Southampton players. Compare his work ethic to Rickie Lambert's, for example. And it's not as if people aren't interested in Dani. That doesn't mean that he'd go for the same amount we paid for him but he'd add more value to the club in his absence than on the playing field.

Shaw: Like Johnny Depp, Luke is talented. He doesn't, however, possess the same temperament. He's a class player and it's no surprise that so many big clubs are in for him because, as well as his skill, he would be an incredible financial asset at the age of 18. From the club's perspective, is our left back going to affect our league position that much? Critics of Danny Fox would say so, but overall I don't think it's one of the most vital positions in the squad.

I would have no problem in seeing these two go, and then Southampton investing the £40m (or whatever) in several players of the same quality as Lovren - upcoming players who are eager to impress for low prices. It's never that easy, but it's better than holding onto one player with his heart set on Stamford Bridge or the Theatre of Dreams, and another who thinks he's some kind of pirate.

So there's lots of stories in the media of who they think we're going to sell, most of which being our prizes players.

However should you be in charge of the club and had to raise some funds who would be on your 'transfer list'. Mine would be as followed:

-Jose fonte, great season but a player we need to improve should we want to get better. Cash in for 3million

-Nathaniel clyne, very good player but fortunately were gifted with a second very good player in that position. Sell for 7million

-Luke shaw, probably our biggest crown jewel but I'd rather sell him than AL as (I believe) left back is an easier position to replace. Would also provide us money for a decent shopping spree, sell 30million

-dani oswaldo, obvious one really, bad influence although has obvious talent (would actually love him to turn it around), sell 7million

That give us 47 million, throw in another 3 million and that's a 50million war chest. I won't speculate on players but that would give us circa , 20million for a world class striker, 10-15milliom for a class dental defender,, 10million on a left back, and 5million on right back cover.

Yes but you haven't considered wages. Luke Shaw is probably on a relatively low amount of money, as I expect will Clyne having joined from a Championship club. I doubt the replacements you have outlined above will be happy to join us on the same money, so we need to cover the difference in wages from the £50m. For every 10k pw they want more than the current players, that's £500k per year, or £1.5m on a three year contract. It adds up.

Yes but you haven't considered wages. Luke Shaw is probably on a relatively low amount of money, as I expect will Clyne having joined from a Championship club. I doubt the replacements you have outlined above will be happy to join us on the same money, so we need to cover the difference in wages from the £50m. For every 10k pw they want more than the current players, that's £500k per year, or £1.5m on a three year contract. It adds up.

But you´re forgeting how much wages we save with Guly out ;)

Lets just sell every one , the stadium , the academy , thne grass

that way folk wouldnt have to start up constant negative threads

No Offence intended to the original poster but it is getting tedioius

if its not the media its on here

The on ly perosn that will be happy when every thing is broken and gone will be Mr miserable

Kelvin Davis - £0

Paulo Gazzaniga - £1.5m

Jos Hooiveld - £500k

Dani Osvaldo - £7m

Gaston Ramirez - £10m

Loans for gazzaniga and Hooiveld is what I'd expect. Can't see anyone paying fees for them.

Osvaldo I'd mark down to 4m and gaston to 7m. No way we're going to get top dollar for underperforming players.

Loans for gazzaniga and Hooiveld is what I'd expect. Can't see anyone paying fees for them.

Osvaldo I'd mark down to 4m and gaston to 7m. No way we're going to get top dollar for underperforming players.

I'd sell at the prices you quote, just need to get them off the books.

As any club who's had a big influx of new players can testify, it's sometimes best to try and limit transfers in order to establish stability in the squad. This certainly worked to Saints benefit last season: we introduced Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovren into the squad. Two of those barely featured during the season, meaning that the rest of the squad was secure in the knowledge of their individual roles, and had the space to develop. So, how many would I sell? Just two players:

Osvaldo: Clearly a talented player but he lacks the focus and attitude generally adopted by Southampton players. Compare his work ethic to Rickie Lambert's, for example. And it's not as if people aren't interested in Dani. That doesn't mean that he'd go for the same amount we paid for him but he'd add more value to the club in his absence than on the playing field.

Shaw: Like Johnny Depp, Luke is talented. He doesn't, however, possess the same temperament. He's a class player and it's no surprise that so many big clubs are in for him because, as well as his skill, he would be an incredible financial asset at the age of 18. From the club's perspective, is our left back going to affect our league position that much? Critics of Danny Fox would say so, but overall I don't think it's one of the most vital positions in the squad.

I would have no problem in seeing these two go, and then Southampton investing the £40m (or whatever) in several players of the same quality as Lovren - upcoming players who are eager to impress for low prices. It's never that easy, but it's better than holding onto one player with his heart set on Stamford Bridge or the Theatre of Dreams, and another who thinks he's some kind of pirate.

Two barely featured???

Lovren and Wanyama were clearly first choices for the season. Both had periods of I jury ( which coincided with us getting worse results). Those two would be two of first names on team sheet. Their introduction was the main reason for our immediate improvement of form at the start of the season.

I don't like wholesale changes but last season proved two straight in can work very well.

I don't think we need to sell but guess the two fullback positions are where potentially we could reinvest and improve with the profit. However could we attract top four level players to replace our stars?

Two barely featured???

Lovren and Wanyama were clearly first choices for the season. Both had periods of I jury ( which coincided with us getting worse results). Those two would be two of first names on team sheet. Their introduction was the main reason for our immediate improvement of form at the start of the season.

I don't like wholesale changes but last season proved two straight in can work very well.

I don't think we need to sell but guess the two fullback positions are where potentially we could reinvest and improve with the profit. However could we attract top four level players to replace our stars?

Okay, that's a fair point on Wanyama (who has had 23 appearances this season). It cannot be said that he hardly featured. Yet, I suppose we'll have to disagree on his impact on the pitch because overall I really don't see much of a difference between him and Jack Cork. But who is the better investment? Probably Victor.

I don't believe we need to to sell players to raise funds.

I'd let Osvaldo go for as much as we could possibly get, and I wouldn't stop Gaston leaving if he insisted. and I'd be happy for £17-20 mil for both.[/quote )

Yes ...think I'd go along with that, too. The real problem is who...." the manager " ... (whoever that is) ...wants to get in .

Start with an extra goalie..and a CB.

Why do we need to sell players to raise funds. We had over 100 million £ in revenue last season.

Selling those who are useless to us will be quite enough, anyone would think the owner needs to take money out of the club and as many of you have assured me that that is not the case there's no reason to sell players is there.