Academy graduates to play in the PREMIER LEAGUE

Lance

I think you should just point to the quality of our graduates.

I honestly cant think of one player Man City have produced, whereas anyone who's followed the Premier League over the last few years will easily rattle off a list of at least 5 Saints academy products, 4 of which have played for England.

Man City have bought their success, we've created ours. End of debate.

I am having a debate with a Man City Friend who believes they have more Premier League graduates ( cup games not included ) than us since 1992

Can you help me list ours to prove him wrong!!

get him to name the Man.City players he's thinking about. Don't know if any Club had an " Academy " (as we know it) back then.

Lots of teams had "youth schemes" or whatever you call them, but if we mean "players who cam through the ranks " then doing our list isn't so hard.....

but how many games would qualify for such a list?.

Lots of lads have had " debuts and sub apps." but few of them ever got past a dozen outings.

I think you should just point to the quality of our graduates.

I honestly cant think of one player Man City have produced, whereas anyone who's followed the Premier League over the last few years will easily rattle off a list of at least 5 Saints academy products, 4 of which have played for England.

Man City have bought their success, we've created ours. End of debate.

Man City have bought first team success but we have bought academy success. That's not a criticism of us at all, we've invested wisely.

I'd like to know the answer to the op question though. I'd be surprised if they've blooded more kids than us.

get him to name the Man.City players he's thinking about. Don't know if any Club had an " Academy " (as we know it) back then.

Lots of teams had "youth schemes" or whatever you call them, but if we mean "players who cam through the ranks " then doing our list isn't so hard.....

but how many games would qualify for such a list?.

Lots of lads have had " debuts and sub apps." but few of them ever got past a dozen outings.

More importantly, get him to name the British ones

I honestly cant think of one player Man City have produced.

Sean wright Philips, Joey Barton, Glen Whelen, Nedum Onouha, Lee Croft, Steven Ireland, Micah Richards, Ishmael Miller, Michael Johnson, Daniel Sturridge, Kasper, Schmiechel, Ched Evans, Dedrik Boyata...

To be fair they have produced a number of players over the years: Shaun Wright-Phillips (and his thieving younger sibling); Joey Barton; Stephen Jordan; Glenn Whelan; Stephen Ireland; Ched Evans; Sturridge; Kasper Schmeichel; Michael Johnson; & Micah Richards. Not too shabby.

Our comparable (academy) record is: Bridge; Bale; Best; Dyer; Lallana; AOC; Shaw; Walcott; Cranie; Surnam

To be fair they have produced a number of players over the years: Shaun Wright-Phillips (and his thieving younger sibling); Joey Barton; Stephen Jordan; Glenn Whelan; Stephen Ireland; Ched Evans; Sturridge; Kasper Schmeichel; Michael Johnson; & Micah Richards. Not too shabby.

Our comparable (academy) record is: Bridge; Bale; Best; Dyer; Lallana; AOC; Shaw; Walcott; Cranie; Surnam

I suppose from the youth team before the academy was set up you could include Oakley, Hughes, Tisdale etc etc

Not to mention Baird, Blackstock, Sparv (36 caps for Finland), Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Ranger, Poke, Mills*2.

I don't see any reason to knock Man City though, given that most of their products came through when they were in lower divisions like us, people seem to forget it wasn't so long agao that they were in the 3rd tier as well. True that not much has come out of their academy in the last 2-3 years though despite the massive investment in that department.

Not to mention Baird, Blackstock, Sparv (36 caps for Finland), Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Ranger, Poke, Mills*2.

I don't see any reason to knock Man City though, given that most of their products came through when they were in lower divisions like us, people seem to forget it wasn't so long agao that they were in the 3rd tier as well. True that not much has come out of their academy in the last 2-3 years though despite the massive investment in that department.

We didn't produce Gallagher, probably he's a bit naff.

Missed the bit about the PL, so discount Poke, Sparv and Mills I guess.

Still part of our Academy when he joined at 16 from Argyle. No different to Walcott (Swindon), Best (Notts Co) or Blackstock (Oxford)

Except we signed Walcott at 11, can't be arsed to look at what age we signed Best and Blackstock because they're cr#p. Signing a player a 16 doesn't make them a product of our academy ffs.

Still part of our Academy when he joined at 16 from Argyle. No different to Walcott (Swindon), Best (Notts Co) or Blackstock (Oxford)

Considering Citeh took Sturridge from Coventry when he was a teenager we can have all of the above.

Except we signed Walcott at 11, can't be arsed to look at what age we signed Best and Blackstock because they're cr#p. Signing a player a 16 doesn't make them a product of our academy ffs.

Well it does in everyone else's view. The Academy includes the U18 and U16 squads. Ignorant ****.

Well it does in everyone else's view. The Academy includes the U18 and U16 squads. Ignorant ****.

think I'd agree with that.

Adam Lallana evidently had enough time at B'mouth to have a sell-on clause in his contract but Walcott signed at 11. Bale did come later and now we boast first-teamers who were signed aged 8.

By defintion I think 16-18 age group is the one we boast about and whether they came as teenagers, or age 8 isn't the real issue. There are a lot of 8 year olds who haven't progressed as Mum/Dad hoped.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Shearer yet!! Also Garry Monk started his career at Saints, completing his football apprenticeship with us.

To enter the discussion about who counts, I would say that an academy/youth set-up graduate must have played a part in the youth/academy set-up. Therefore, Arsenal could not claim Walcott or Oxo as graduates as they were bought as members of the first team squad. On this basis we would need to be clear which players were part of the academy/youth team set-up and then became first teamers - is this true of Lallana? Scheiderlin? Best? Blackstock? McGoldrick? I would guess that in each case the answer is yes, whereas Schneiderlin, for example, was brought in as a first team player so wouldn't count.

One slightly left-field addition to the conversation is Nile Ranger, who was a reject of the Saints academy but later did graduate to play in the Premier League with Newcastle. So, the question is, do you count him? You could ask similar questions about Kevin Phillips too. :)

So, in terms of a list of names: Bale, Walcott, Oxo, Surman, Best, Ranger, Lallana, Shaw, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Reed, Baird, Blackstock, Bridge, Cranie, Dyer, Oakley, Hughes, Phillips, Shearer, Gazzanigga, LeTissier, Benali, Maddison, Kenna, McGoldrick, Jon Gittens (played a couple of PL games for Middlesbrough!), Tisdale, Lancashire, Moody, Scott McDonald (one appearance in the PL with Southampton!). I'm pretty sure all of those played vfor us at both youth and PL level. I think that is a fairly comprehensive list, but care to add any I have missed. :)

A few players I'm not sure about: Banger - did he play for the first team between 1992 and 1994? Ray Wallace - did he ever play in the PL? Wikipedia suggests that he did but does not evidence it; Isgrove - Was he on the bench at the start of the season? I think he probably doesn't count as even if he was on the bench he has not played in a PL game yet.

Bale, Walcott, Oxo, Surman, Best, Ranger, Lallana, Shaw, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Reed, Baird, Blackstock, Bridge, Cranie, Dyer, Oakley, Hughes, Phillips, Shearer, Gazzanigga, LeTissier, Benali, Maddison, Kenna, McGoldrick, Jon Gittens (played a couple of PL games for Middlesbrough!), Tisdale, Lancashire, Moody, Scott McDonald (one appearance in the PL with Southampton!). I'm pretty sure all of those played vfor us at both youth and PL level. I think that is a fairly comprehensive list, but care to add any I have missed. :)

A few players I'm not sure about: Banger - did he play for the first team between 1992 and 1994? Ray Wallace - did he ever play in the PL?

Williamson, Monk, Rod Wallace.

City also have loads by the way.