Does RK have a favoured formation

ozzmeister

What formation does RK tended to go with in the past or has he been generally flexible.

Will he be forced to adopt the Southampton way which is supposedly being adopted from bottom to top?

Played 4-3-3 at Valencia, only know that because players said it made them into headless chickens. Not sure they didn't use a 3-5-2 formation at Feynoord though.

I think 3-5-2.

If this is the case we are going to need at least a couple of new strikers and a couple of centre backs.

Clyne and shaw (if he stays) will make excellent wing backs. Midfield is fine. Can see a lot if in coming activity over the next couple of months.

Someone in the Koeman Appointed thread posted this opinion from a dutch football fan about Koeman. Gives the impression that he is quite flexible re: formation and tactics.

He doesnt really have a key playstyle other then attacking preferably with wingers. He looks at the material he has to work with and adapts his strategy accordingly.To me this makes him an unique coach, he can make his playstyle/formation/tactics fit his players instead of the other way around. He has successfully played (among others): counter attacking football (AZ), classic dutch 4-3-3 (Ajax), attacking football with a goal facing striker (Feyenoord with Guidetti), attacking football with a striker to hold up play (Pelle), 3-5-2/5-3-2 (experiment with Feyenoord).

Why do so many people look at Chambers and think, "yeah, Centre-Back in that lad".

I'm not saying I think he would be bad at it, I just have never got that feeling personally. I actually think he could do a job as a Wing-Back in 3-5-2.

Because he is good in the air, positionally astute and comfortable on the ball. The club even used him as a centre back in under 21 games towards the end of last season.

Why do so many people look at Chambers and think, "yeah, Centre-Back in that lad".

I'm not saying I think he would be bad at it, I just have never got that feeling personally. I actually think he could do a job as a Wing-Back in 3-5-2.

Because ball playing centre backs are rare. Ball playing full backs aren't, but most of them don't have the physique to play in the middle. As we've also got a good right back, it makes sense to consider whether we could accommodate Chambers and Clyne in the same team. It's not just us saying it either, fairly sure I've seen quotes from people in the game saying the same. If we're going to play wing backs I'd say Clyne fits that role more naturally.

Not sure how this would fit with the other opinion that one of the experts on 5 live had at the weekend, who stated that Chambers would be the long term England right back.

I thought it was cos he looks tall for a full back, but when i looked it up Shaw was more tall, and no-one ever wants to play him centre back. Just one of life's mysteries I guess.

Because he is good in the air, positionally astute and comfortable on the ball. The club even used him as a centre back in under 21 games towards the end of last season.

Because ball playing centre backs are rare. Ball playing full backs aren't, but most of them don't have the physique to play in the middle. As we've also got a good right back, it makes sense to consider whether we could accommodate Chambers and Clyne in the same team. It's not just us saying it either, fairly sure I've seen quotes from people in the game saying the same. If we're going to play wing backs I'd say Clyne fits that role more naturally.

Not sure how this would fit with the other opinion that one of the experts on 5 live had at the weekend, who stated that Chambers would be the long term England right back.

Yeah, I guess. They are fair points, I'm not suggesting he would do bad there.

For me, I just think has the technical ability and confidence on the ball that would see him wasted at CB.

3 at the back is in with the hipsters these days

This is true Brett. I remember the days when people would be outraged if a team lined up with one up front, now adays it's the norm. 3-5-2 is the new 4-4-2/4-2-3-1. A few years back it's been suicide as the 'pacy wide men' would get in behind the full backs too easy, the 2 strikers would pull the back 3 all over the place etc. now it's the new fashion. Right up to the point where a team gets spanked when the pacy wide men get in behind the full backs and the 2 strikers pull the back 3 all over the place etc. 4-4-2 will then become the new visionary formation played by all the progressive coaches.

Yeah, I guess. They are fair points, I'm not suggesting he would do bad there.

For me, I just think has the technical ability and confidence on the ball that would see him wasted at CB.

As Saints want centre backs to play out from the back, his confidence and ability on the ball is exactly what we need so I don't think it would be a waste of his talents.

The "Southampton Way" is a phrase invented by Nicola Cortese that I wish had left the club with him. He did not invent a new model for running a football club and we have been running a successful academy for years before he came on the scene. A number of clubs are run like SFC. The problem we had in the past was that we didnt have the cash to keep hold of our better young players and many of them were not up to the standard needed at that time (when we couldnt bring in extra quality where it was needed). I remember the grief that a former CEO got when he paid £1m for a young French prospect (called Morgan S) when people wanted themonet spent on an established player. What a bargain that turned out to be! Pochettino for all of his plaudits for last year was a one trick pony for the most part. We need players from the first team down to be comfortable with many types of tactics, not just a high pressing game, and I hope that RK is given the freedom to do it the "Koeman Way."

The "Southampton Way" is a phrase invented by Nicola Cortese that I wish had left the club with him. He did not invent a new model for running a football club and we have been running a successful academy for years before he came on the scene. A number of clubs are run like SFC. The problem we had in the past was that we didnt have the cash to keep hold of our better young players and many of them were not up to the standard needed at that time (when we couldnt bring in extra quality where it was needed). I remember the grief that a former CEO got when he paid £1m for a young French prospect (called Morgan S) when people wanted themonet spent on an established player. What a bargain that turned out to be! Pochettino for all of his plaudits for last year was a one trick pony for the most part. We need players from the first team down to be comfortable with many types of tactics, not just a high pressing game, and I hope that RK is given the freedom to do it the "Koeman Way."

I dont think anyone suggested the liebherr lot invented anything?

they called it the southampton way as a great deal of emphasis (and money) has been put on our academy

its working (again)

I think it was called the Southampton way as a tribute to our tradition of focussing on bringing through youth players. Nothing sinister about it and I'm actually glad it is almost a brand name because hopefully it will help influence young players to join us as they might buy into the (justified) media hype that we know how to handle them.

It wasnt the Liebherrs, it was Cortese who coined the phrase. We are not the first club to do this. Dario Gradi wasdoing it years ago. I heard someone mention "the West Ham way" recently. I dont think it is sinister, just very silly. Liverpool and Man United have won dozens of Championships between them but you never hear of the Manchester United Way or Liverpool Way. We have won b*gger all. What does it really mean anyway? You could say the Southampton way is to sack a manager when he becomes successful as we did with Pardew and Adkins. The person who started this thread was not talking about the academy but about formations and tactics.

It wasnt the Liebherrs, it was Cortese who coined the phrase. We are not the first club to do this. Dario Gradi wasdoing it years ago. I heard someone mention "the West Ham way" recently. I dont think it is sinister, just very silly. Liverpool and Man United have won dozens of Championships between them but you never hear of the Manchester United Way or Liverpool Way. We have won b*gger all. What does it really mean anyway? You could say the Southampton way is to sack a manager when he becomes successful as we did with Pardew and Adkins. The person who started this thread was not talking about the academy but about formations and tactics.

he was just an employee