The Official Unofficial Glastonbury 2015 Thread

swannymere

That came out of left field, very nice! Was annoyed that I missed them when I went in 2007 so glad that i've got another opportunity. Weller's aways good as well.

Seems a weird one to me. Convinced someone pulled out at left them in the lurch. There was already rumours floating around that Prince had indeed done this, though not sure how much I'd put in that. That rumour does the rounds every year. It's like the effing Daft Punk secret set rumour that is always flying around.

Just hope Weller hasn't got a strop on like when I saw him recently!

Bloody hell, Townsend and Daltrey? I loved The Who back in the day but they really ought to call it a day now.

I preferred The Who before Pete Townsend decided to become a researcher.

Glad I decided to give Glasto a miss this year. I'm not fussed by the line-up and I know it's not all about the music, but didn't think last year's was anywhere near as good as others I've been too.

Think I'm going to try out End of the Road. The line up is spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
Glastonbury has long become part of the mainstream summer events despite all of the Eves' attempt to remain cool and hippy.

I don't think the Eavis's have made any attempts to keep Glastonbury cool, it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if it was as 'cool' is a very short lived idea.

I don't think the Eavis's have made any attempts to keep Glastonbury cool, it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if it was as 'cool' is a very short lived idea.

They still vet the businesses that are allowed to operate at the farm. The Guardian gets in every year and people like Oxfam. When I worked for The Guardian we were allowed to sell the other papers but he would let any others in with their own pitches.

They still vet the businesses that are allowed to operate at the farm. The Guardian gets in every year and people like Oxfam. When I worked for The Guardian we were allowed to sell the other papers but he would let any others in with their own pitches.

You can get about 20 different papers in different languages from the Soup Library up past William's Green. That's where I spend my hangover-free mornings before the music starts.

Glastonbury may not be as carefree as it once was but the contrast with all but a couple of other major festivals is pretty obvious on that front.

Glad I decided to give Glasto a miss this year. I'm not fussed by the line-up and I know it's not all about the music, but didn't think last year's was anywhere near as good as others I've been too.

Think I'm going to try out End of the Road. The line up is spot on.

EOTR is a great festival and the line up this year is ridiculous. I haven't been the last couple of years though due to ticket prices being ramped right up. We went to the first one and had only missed 1 other up until 2013 before it started to get busier and more expensive.

I believe it's almost sold out, so be quick if you want a ticket. That or wait until a few days before when people who suddenly can't go flog them cheap on Gumtree. There were loads going last year for £100. I was going to do that this year but booked to see Sufjan Stevens in Brighton on the Friday night instead.

Hi all... looking forward to going to Glastonbury for my first time, can anyone give me some advice on camping spots, any hidden gems worth looking for etc? also what can i expect once the bands finish, whats going on at the various night events? thanks

Hi all... looking forward to going to Glastonbury for my first time, can anyone give me some advice on camping spots, any hidden gems worth looking for etc? also what can i expect once the bands finish, whats going on at the various night events? thanks

Camping is difficult to suggest really, depends on what you want to do in the evenings (whether you want a quiet spot away from the noise or whether you want to be in the thick of it). If you want quiet, I would suggest anywhere near The Park (Dairy Ground is great) but if you want to be in the middle of the action I would suggest finding somewhere closer to the stages. Some decent spots next to the John Peel tent which is close to the Dance Village area with plenty of DJs, or at the other end of the site you have all the late-night stuff close by. Check out the Glastonbury website for some more information on the late night areas as there's so much to see and do - Block 9 is the busiest area but you have Shangri La, Stone Circle etc that are worth a look too.

Overall, have fun! (And don't camp next to the long drops)

Bands finish between 11.15 to Midnight on the main stages otherwise it can be a 24 hours a day (or)deal. Newbies underestimate the size of the site and the sheer volume of traffic when negotiating the site, i think its just over a thousand acres now. It takes a good 30 mins getting from the Pyramid to the Other stage and probably the same for most others except The Park which is at least 45 mins from the Pyramid.

When camping take into account how knackered you'll be from walking all day, if its wet there is nowhere to sit (no joke) so pick an area close to where most of the action you want to see is, and if camping with mates keep your tents as close together as possible and don't put any guide lines up as they'll be trip hazards for everyone. Don't camp within 50m of any toilets/food outlets/stages as you'll never get to sleep.

The essential items are a large necked bottle to wee in (queues for the toilets can be huge in the mornings), wet wipes, earplugs and cash. It can be daunting the first time but avoid hanging round the stages and get your arse into the areas around and above the railway line for the best of Glastonbury.

PS The best time to use the toilets is at night as they'll be at their coldest and will smell the least.

Edited by swannymere

• 3 weeks later...

what they want to do at Glastonbury and such places is two things.

ban people getting on shoulders, ban the ridiculous flags on huge flag poles

also, ban the BBC from covering it and get someone else who might actually be so bland when doing so

this year, the music line up at glasto is pretty average...gash to be fair

Edited by Batman

also, ban the BBC from covering it and get someone else who might actually be so bland when doing so

Hmm...yeah they should ban all the music, and stop those blasted young people going too, what what.

They should also only sell tickets when the major attractions are announced. Well out of order expecting people to pay over £200 for a ticket when you have no idea who is on the bill.

They should also only sell tickets when the major attractions are announced. Well out of order expecting people to pay over £200 for a ticket when you have no idea who is on the bill.

And yet the tickets have sold out within hours for years without a full announcement beforehand...go figure. If you're a punter who's only interested in who's playing, Glastonbury isn't for you.

You must be fun at parties.

And yet the tickets have sold out within hours for years without a full announcement beforehand...go figure. If you're a punter who's only interested in who's playing, Glastonbury isn't for you.

You must be fun at parties.

Glastonbury is one of those events these day like Wimbledon. Its is the middle class thing to do in the summer. Still fair play to the Eavis family. It must take an awful lot of organising and they make more money out of it than they do from farming!

Glastonbury is one of those events these day like Wimbledon. Its is the middle class thing to do in the summer. Still fair play to the Eavis family. It must take an awful lot of organising and they make more money out of it than they do from farming!

They also give approx £2m to charity each year.

Yes, it's just like Wimbledon.

Yes, it's just like Wimbledon.

its full of luvvies who all go to the Amy Winehouse movie, cry their eyes out and tell the world how much of an inspiration she was.

All wearing their designer hunter wellies and holding hands at the stone circle and take stock of the wonderful journey they are on

Not a stellar year agreed but highlight for me was The Fall followed by GOAT straight after them.

Mark E. Smith set the tone the second he walked on stage with his p*ssed-wet-through trousers by announcing "Thanks for turning us down you c*nts!". Classic MES :)

Edited by jasonb

I worked this year, camped backstage between the Pyramid and the behemoth that is the new Other Stage. Highlights were meeting old friends, drinking scrumpy and having The Who in one ear and the Chemical Brothers in the other when i couldn't be arsed to leave the compound. Lowlights were being limited to one hot shower a day and only being to scrounge one full English a day from backstage catering, couldn't go as a punter again. See you next year.

Go on then. What would your line-up have been this year? Just give me a headliner, a park stage gem, a west holts act, a late Saturday second stage crowd pleaser and any other options you want. Nothing too strenuous; now is your chance to prove you know (feel? understand? appreciate) anything at all about music...

...will you take it?

Ban flags at Glasto? Pfft.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'd ban the flags as well, lowers the tone.

What tone?

Strikes me as a slightly strange thing to say as, in my mind, Glasto is as much about 'flying your flag' for the week as it is about music!

(The only really lowbrow banner I saw was a f*cking Saints flag with a blow up doll attached. THAT was a bit embarrassing.)

Plenty of excellent festivals where flags are 'not allowed' and even stages at Glasto where they are discouraged, but at the pyramid stage??! Hmmm.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I thought they were brilliant but in interviews they are so normal it just ruined it for me.

I thought that was their appeal? The normality of it all?

Anyway, they may find that they very soon cross over the divide of authenticity as their popularity grows. It will be interesting to see if they can manage to stay grounded.

I thought their disdain for the Featival was spot on along with Mark E Smith they didn't tow the 'happy clappy everything's cool' Glasto positivity which usually gets to me by mid afternoon on the Friday if I've not got well underway at the cider bus.