For the 'Half Empties' out there!

Norm

Look, I know many of you Saints fans are feeling depressed about how things are at the moment but some of you really do need a reality check imho. It is only 5 minutes ago we were in deep dodo and yet, just look at where we are now! Come on, it really isn't that bad. I've been a Saints fan since 1956, seen many ups and plenty of 'downs'. I'm looking forward to our new season and whatever happens, will still be cheering them on.

Just to brighten things up, I'm including a few photos of the start of our 'new' journey re SMS.

img114_zps6756b2cf.jpg

img115_zps399bb18c.jpg

img116_zpsa78d07aa.jpg

I hope I have added the photos correctly. (Thanks to The Kraken for the advice on loading photos!)

Norm

Thanks for those Norm and you are of course right....do you have any of the Pompey shirt buried in the centre circle :-)

Err, unsure if I should load that one.

OK, note the work done in the center of the pitch. Now, I'm not saying there was any truth in the story but..........

img117_zps2b146978.jpg

Edited by Norm
Photo taken Mid July 2001

Great pictures.

I think the disappointment however stems from a missed opportunity. Like you said, as Saints fans we are used to mediocrity and have been for years. But last season saw a new hope, a new chance to rise and take our club to a new level. A squad full of internationals, a great manager, healthy finances (don't listen to Hofstetter) etc, and then we've seen it all destroyed in a matter of months.

We'll always have our Saints to support no matter what league we're in or which internationals we have in our squad, but I think a lot of the frustration is coming from getting so close and then not seizing on that opportunity.

Great pictures.

I think the disappointment however stems from a missed opportunity. Like you said, as Saints fans we are used to mediocrity and have been for years. But last season saw a new hope, a new chance to rise and take our club to a new level. A squad full of internationals, a great manager, healthy finances (don't listen to Hofstetter) etc, and then we've seen it all destroyed in a matter of months.

We'll always have our Saints to support no matter what league we're in or which internationals we have in our squad, but I think a lot of the frustration is coming from getting so close and then not seizing on that opportunity.

Good post with a sensible point of view.

Great pictures.

Absolutely correct and whilst in the modern game player behaviour makes it hard to build something and there are some things you can't control the way we've timidly accepted it and allowed ourselves to get in this situation really annoys me as a supporter.

Great pictures.

This sums it up really, it's the hope we could have achieved more, and see it diminish in a matter of months that is the annoying part. Like the grass looked greener on the other side, but now we're back with the others on the patchy yellow shiit

Great post Norm and really good to see the pictures again - I remember looking round in the build days with Essruu; think we all had sandwiches in one of the cabins if memory serves me correctly??

I'm an eternal optimistic, but on the pessimism, I genuinely believe that many people have bought into Cortese's guff about Champions League in the various press releases, like the players did. Yes it's a good dream to have, but it's simply not going to happen for the foreseeable future unless we spend hundreds of £ms on players or keep our next Bales ... oh ... ;)

I'm of the opinion that we've got a good enough team to beat at least 10 other teams in the league and have a decent cup run. Outside the top 7/8, the rest of the Premier League is a much of a muchness with a couple of stand out poor teams. We could finish anywhere from 8th to 14th - I'm sure it won't be boring though and we'll see some good football which we as Saints fans now enjoy.

Great post Norm. You have a longer pedigree than I. I started in 1966 but, like you, I have seen good times and bad and this is just another stage in a long and interesting journey. No one has died and we will still be competing in the top flight next season so goodness knows things could be a lot worse. I have thought that CL football for a club like Southampton is highly unlikely without a massive injection of cash so am fine with mid table and cup runs. If there is a greater reality around the club nowdays that is no bad thing. For all of the summer sales I am still looking forward to the new season under Ronald K so bring it on!

Great pictures.

What did we really have. CL football was never really on the horizon it was just a mirage, a nice dream. The opportunity we had was to fight it out for 6th, 7th and 8th at a great cost to the club. A decision has been made to recalibrate our approach to one which is less risky, we may have thrown the anchor out when we could have just taken our foot of the pedal. But we had to change for the good of the long term.

We are lucky we could be Forest, Ipswich, Wednesday, Derby, Wolves, Blackburn.

you're right Norm. I think some of the more vocal critics on here only became " fans" after we were promoted from the Championship.

I wonder what they will write if the season turns out to be better than anyone thought ?

If we had kept/bought xyz we could of done more.

Great pictures.

This. great post and sums it up. I don't hate anyone, but have been left flat by this boards public statements and player sales... Opportunity missed, with those defending, because it meant the exit of their nemesis... Odd.

What did we really have. CL football was never really on the horizon it was just a mirage, a nice dream. The opportunity we had was to fight it out for 6th, 7th and 8th at a great cost to the club. A decision has been made to recalibrate our approach to one which is less risky, we may have thrown the anchor out when we could have just taken our foot of the pedal. But we had to change for the good of the long term.

We are lucky we could be Forest, Ipswich, Wednesday, Derby, Wolves, Blackburn.

sorry but but this is where 'myth' comes into it. No one has seen any accounts from 2013/14 season. Thre previous one saw a loss of 7mil, which given it was first season back up is not bad... With transfer liabilities spread over a few seasons as is the norm.

We do know that 13/14 will see revenue top 100mil. Having a strategy of 50% academy products in first team is only risky if quality is not there.... There is currently No evidence to suggest we were suddenly taking greater financial risks in 13/14... We spent 30 mil on transfers over a number of years... And invested in Staplewood. I do NOT believe ZnC was expecting KL to spunk 100s of mil on CL dreams, but to maybe not expect immediate returns, whilst we had the opportunity to progress further still with that squad.

Any more pics Norm would be greatly appreciated.

I would be more than happy to put more on but don't want to overstay my welcome on this thread. I wonder if the mods would include a seperate thread for just photos? Players/stadium/1976 tickets-progs etc. I follow a group called Southampton Heritage on Facebook and love the photos of 'old' southampton.

Ps, I also have many photos of the Dell.

Hey Norm, great photos thank you but here's a thought - why don't YOU start that photo thread ?

Don't leave stuff for the mods to do though as one or two are a bit "different" :lol::lol::lol:

I suppose I better point out that I was trying to make a joke about mods just to ease some of the tension on this whole forum.

sorry but but this is where 'myth' comes into it. No one has seen any accounts from 2013/14 season. Thre previous one saw a loss of 7mil, which given it was first season back up is not bad... With transfer liabilities spread over a few seasons as is the norm.

We do know that 13/14 will see revenue top 100mil. Having a strategy of 50% academy products in first team is only risky if quality is not there.... There is currently No evidence to suggest we were suddenly taking greater financial risks in 13/14... We spent 30 mil on transfers over a number of years... And invested in Staplewood. I do NOT believe ZnC was expecting KL to spunk 100s of mil on CL dreams, but to maybe not expect immediate returns, whilst we had the opportunity to progress further still with that squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363 Hofstetter's "inheriting a difficult financial situation" not evidence?

Totally agree with you Norm. I for one am looking forward to the new season. We got some good new players in, and I am sure more will follow. And with one of my fellow countrymen at the helm I of course can only be optimistic that we will play attractive football.