Three Cheers for the Admins In Getting Us Back Up And Running Again!!

1976_Child

**** ****ing *****

sorry just testing the swear filter !

****........did it logged in as admin and not me

hmmmm ....... multiple accounts are not allowed ... :)

give yourself an infraction immediately, do not collect anymore £5's and go straight to fratton :D

I didn't realise how bad the other fan forums are until TSF wasn't there. I searched everywhere to discuss the West Ham game but it was like a desert out there. Well done to the Admin for getting the forum back up. We will really miss those who don't want to pay £5 per year.

i'm afraid we'll see a flood of free users like "john01", "john02", "john03" just to get 9 posts a day.

i'm quite a light poster, though i do read on here quite a bit. i'm ok with the posting restrictions and the google ads to come.

i'm afraid we'll see a flood of free users like "john01", "john02", "john03" just to get 9 posts a day.

i'm quite a light poster, though i do read on here quite a bit. i'm ok with the posting restrictions and the google ads to come.

my mistake, multiple accounts are not allowed :\ dope, why's there no edit function? there, i used up 2 posts.

I didn't realise how bad the other fan forums are until TSF wasn't there. I searched everywhere to discuss the West Ham game but it was like a desert out there. Well done to the Admin for getting the forum back up. We will really miss those who don't want to pay £5 per year.

I have marked your words well, Mark. Not being able to access TSF was reminiscent of the time I gave up betting on horses to privilege a relationship - ie agonising. Great to have the forum back and well worth the money, even if the Aussie exchange rate is lousy:)

Has anyone else had their post tally reduced in the changeover? I've been docked about a 100.

Apparently it's related to how annoying you are. I lost more than 300.

I expect Bournemouth will be down to 0.

Where is the explanation of what the user privileges each level of membership gives you?

I see people implying that they can make a limited number of posts without subscribing but I can't see any official notification of this. A clear explanation on the front page would have been nice. At the moment, I've no idea what I'm literally supposed to be buying for my £5!!!!

Where is the explanation of what the user privileges each level of membership gives you?

I see people implying that they can make a limited number of posts without subscribing but I can't see any official notification of this. A clear explanation on the front page would have been nice. At the moment, I've no idea what I'm literally supposed to be buying for my £5!!!!

A basic rundown is available here.

Essentially, "Tier 1" users get 3 posts per day (or, more precisely, 3 posts in a 24 hour period rather than an actual day, e.g. could be 10.27 to 10.26 the following day rather than 00.00 to 23.59) and the ability to read the forum. That's it.

"Tier 2" or "Subscribed" users get everything, e.g. as many posts as you like, the ability to start threads and polls, private messages, avatars, etc.

As for the "lost" post counts:

1. When we were trying to repair the database on Friday, something got corrupted which meant the loss of a significant number of posts (there were just under a million posts in the database), which subsequently affected users' post counts. The posts that remained will obviously have remained on users' post counts.

2. It still baffles me as to why people actually care about their post counts... it's really not much of a status symbol!

2. It still baffles me as to why people actually care about their post counts... it's really not much of a status symbol!

Quite right. I was only three or four from the 'post of shame' - my thousandth. Only death and taxes are worse.

Great guys for getting the forum up and running....I'm an avid reader of this forum, even if I don't always contribute and think it's well worth the money! Well done admins/Baj/Steve etc. With a great season to look forward to, and no crashing during matches ...let the entertainment on and off the pitch roll!

Well I've just signed up and paid me fiver by paypal. Hope the admin will know who it came from, don't usually use paypal, don't really know how it works.

Will you know that I've paid admin?

You are a 'full member' so it knows you have paid. Also you can check under subscriptions on your user CP.

As for the "lost" post counts:

1. When we were trying to repair the database on Friday, something got corrupted which meant the loss of a significant number of posts (there were just under a million posts in the database), which subsequently affected users' post counts. The posts that remained will obviously have remained on users' post counts.

Very true, luckily I have lost about 5,000 so now I look only a third geeky as I used to:)

How can anyone complain about 5 pounds a year for god's sake? 5 pounds a month would be fine given how much many of you use it. Hardly a noticeable amount for most people is it? Not even 2 drinks in a pub. So 2 drinks less in a year. How distressing.

When I click order though I get an error message. Is it all working yet? No way we can pay through paypal or something, even if we have to pay a little more?

I did paypal this morning, worked OK for me. Must be something temporary since then.

Well, I paid my fiver so had better post something I suppose.

It's actually cheaper then before for those of us who got stung for a contribution to the last server ;o)

Normal, this way everbody contributes rather than just those who actually got round to doing it.Which is only fair really. How many have signed up now ??

There doesn't seem to be the "viewers" count as before.

Normal, this way everbody contributes rather than just those who actually got round to doing it.Which is only fair really. How many have signed up now ??

There doesn't seem to be the "viewers" count as before.

Viewers count wouldn't say how many have paid up. And I'd doubt they will put up stats for how many subscribers there are.....last thing they want is to conjure images of 'Bankroll' Baj and 'Croesus' Grant sitting on thrones of pound coins or sleeping on mattresses stuffed with banknotes

Sad sign of the times

------------------------

Well, I don't know about you but £5 for a fans forum has just pushed it to far for me. Sorry, not having a go or a dig at the admins as they have up until now done a sterling job and I will still pop on here and read what's new, but thats it.

Fuel, food, gas, electric - the list goes on and now to pay to subscribe on here is the last straw. It's not the amount, the amount is neither here nor there, it's the insult of having to pay to talk on line.

Facebook, Bebo, Friends Reunited, MySpace all large outfits yes, but all free, gratis.

I appreciate all the admins do, but with the way the site has gone in terms of abuse, arguments, crap repetitive, posts - paying for the this honour is too much.

Feeding my family and running my car to work come above a fans forum, sorry.

It's been good, but all good things come to an end.

Sad sign of the times

------------------------

Well, I don't know about you but £5 for a fans forum has just pushed it to far for me. Sorry, not having a go or a dig at the admins as they have up until now done a sterling job and I will still pop on here and read what's new, but thats it.

Fuel, food, gas, electric - the list goes on and now to pay to subscribe on here is the last straw. It's not the amount, the amount is neither here nor there, it's the insult of having to pay to talk on line.

Facebook, Bebo, Friends Reunited, MySpace all large outfits yes, but all free, gratis.

I appreciate all the admins do, but with the way the site has gone in terms of abuse, arguments, crap repetitive, posts - paying for the this honour is too much.

It's been good, but all good things come to an end.

FR isn't exactly free, you can surf it for free I think but if you want to mail

an old friend or colleague you have to join. think it's about a fiver as well, maybe 7.50.

FR isn't exactly free, you can surf it for free I think but if you want to mail

an old friend or colleague you have to join. think it's about a fiver as well, maybe 7.50.

Nope, try it again. Been completely free for over a year now. Try it and see. :D

It's not the amount, the amount is neither here nor there, it's the insult of having to pay to talk on line.

Fletch sorry you feel this way. But like said by Steve and Baj in order for the forum to run in a stable enviroment this fee is in place with other developments being built on. As for Facebook, Friends Reunited etc yep all free but they generate millions of dollars in advertising revenue. Hence why Facebook was valued at $1b and FU sold for £120m. As for all the crap / insults etc. We are hoping this will die out with people now paying for a subscription

All also funded by multi-million (or billion) dollar investments and aggressive advertising revenue generation.

You can argue that point until your blue in the face, they all offer a free service.

As a web development company owner I sub host a good many websites so know all hosting and bandwidth costs, my company website is in profile.

The web should be (a view much confirmed by many leading lights in the technology field) a place to share information and join together communities for free.

Don't want to fall out Steve. Like I said, up until now you all did a sterling job. Just gone to far this time - and, as this is my 3rd and final post for the day, I'll say goodbye.

:D

You can argue that point until your blue in the face, they all offer a free service.

As a web development company owner I sub host a good many websites so know all hosting and bandwidth costs, my company website is in profile.

The web should be (a view much confirmed by many leading lights in the technology field) a place to share information and join together communities for free.

Don't want to fall out Steve. Like I said, up until now you all did a sterling job. Just gone to far this time - and, as this is my 3rd and final post for the day, I'll say goodbye.

:D

Do it

Edited by CabbageFace

Sad sign of the times

------------------------

I'm sure your family and your car will really feel the benefit of that 10p per week per year you have just saved.

Not sure how your web development company makes any money if you subscribe to the belief that everything on the internet should be free.

So all the companies you work with get your time and services for free, right? Or....maybe not? :rolleyes:

Well done mods on the comeback. I'm not paying my £5 until the user names/avatars are shifted back over to the left, so you can read all the threads without usernames cluttering up the place....hop to it;)

Because they can afford to do so.

In which case, I would ask you where you would expect us to find the money to pay for the required infrastructure, given that it runs (very very comfortably) into 4 figures? Would you expect me and Baj to pay for it all out of our own pocket and out of the goodness of our hearts? Personally, I don't think that's particularly realistic.

I do agree, and SaintsWeb, for the most part, follows that principle. The main site (when it's up and running) will be run on that basis, and everybody can post on the forum without paying (obviously with limitations to encourage people to subscribe). However, in order for the forum to cover its costs, we have to bring in revenue from somewhere (and it sure as hell isn't coming from my bank account as the money simply isn't there), just like the vast majority of sites elsewhere on the internet.

As it's your third post of the day, I guess that means I get the final word ;)

I await your response tomorrow :D

I'm sure your family and your car will really feel the benefit of that 10p per week per year you have just saved.

Not sure how your web development company makes any money if you subscribe to the belief that everything on the internet should be free.

So all the companies you work with get your time and services for free, right? Or....maybe not? :rolleyes:

Well done mods on the comeback. I'm not paying my £5 until the user names/avatars are shifted back over to the left, so you can read all the threads without usernames cluttering up the place....hop to it;)

I think we should refrain from expressing an opinion as to anyone's personal decision whether or not to pay the £5. Everybody does what they want or can afford. That's it.

Expect it'll be the weekend before that gets done, I'm afraid.