Three Cheers for the Admins In Getting Us Back Up And Running Again!!

1976_Child

I think we should refrain from expressing an opinion as to anyone's personal decision whether or not to pay the £5. Everybody does what they want or can afford. That's it.

Which is fine and of course true. However someone saying they have decided to "feed their family and run their car" rather than pay five quid a year to come on here is frankly preposterous and worthy of mockery.

It should work both ways - people can take their personal decision and not be judged, fine, but they don't take the decision and at the same time take up some ridiculous moral high ground as justification.

I'll venture Fletch spent more than a fiver on his lunch today, and I doubt his children will go hungry as a result.

Which is fine and of course true. However someone saying they have decided to "feed their family and run their car" rather than pay five quid a year to come on here is frankly preposterous and worthy of mockery.

Anyone who can feed their family and run their car for a fiver a year shouldn't be mocked at all - they're a bloody genius. I want to know how it's done.

It should work both ways - people can take their personal decision and not be judged, fine, but they don't take the decision and at the same time take up some ridiculous moral high ground as justification.

I'll venture Fletch spent more than a fiver on his lunch today, and I doubt his children will go hungry as a result.

You're probably right, I don't know him as you seem to, however I still feel that

to pay or not to pay shouldn't be a subject of discussion.Class war will soon break out,if it hasn't already.

Many thanks for recuing an invaluable site especially for us supporters based overseas!

however I seem unable to get onto the subscribe page as I keep being told I am not logged in although I am?

Also any help as to how to subscribe if overseas? Can I use a credit card or do i have to wait till I am in the Uk and use my UK cheque book?

Your help as always would be much appreciated!

Thirdly my number of posts which was well in the 200's seems to have shrunk to 40?

Help

Many thanks for recuing an invaluable site especially for us supporters based overseas!

however I seem unable to get onto the subscribe page as I keep being told I am not logged in although I am?

Try clearing out your cache and cookies and logging in again.

Also any help as to how to subscribe if overseas? Can I use a credit card or do i have to wait till I am in the Uk and use my UK cheque book?

You should be able to pay in any currency. I believe we've had overseas members pay already, presumably in Euros or USD.

Thirdly my number of posts which was well in the 200's seems to have shrunk to 40?

Long story. Short version is database crashed on Friday. Loads of posts were lost. Post counts reduced for pretty much everyone as a result.

Ahhh, I finally see what's happened now. When I pay the £5 am I going to end up with avatars against every post/userid or can that be switched off/configured? I want to make sure I have a "low res" option which is a bit more discreet for work!

(PS. Well done for getting it all switched over!)

Ahhh, I finally see what's happened now. When I pay the £5 am I going to end up with avatars against every post/userid or can that be switched off/configured? I want to make sure I have a "low res" option which is a bit more discreet for work!

(PS. Well done for getting it all switched over!)

We're hoping to have a "work-safe" skin in place shortly.

In the meantime, the best option may be to view the forum using the "Archive" feature (link at the foot of the page) and then switch back to the normal view when you want to post something.

Your help as always would be much appreciated!

Help

Paypal lets you enter your credit card details to pay. Worked fine for me.

Fletch

Looks like we have something in common, I too run a web development company.

I'd be greatly interested to hear about your experience with hosting high usage sites on either vps or scsp dedi servers, as you don't seem to really go into much depth in your post other than appearing as (and I don't mean this in an insulting way) a tyre kicker.

The fact of the matter is, as I am sure you are aware being your own boss of an internet company, professional dedicated servers are an expensive business. I wont teach you how to suck eggs, but I'm sure you're aware that hosting something of this size on a vps will have us immediatley asked to leave (as has happened on multi-instances in the past) and the cheaper dedi servers are scsp or offer a limited bandwidth options.

Also, I'm sure if you did the maths on request/response per client on match days, you would realise that even a cheap dedi with burstable b/w won't cut the mustard.

I'd be happy to talk about this in far more depth with you on this thread if you wish?

Fletch

I'd be greatly interested to hear about your experience with hosting high usage sites on either vps or scsp dedi servers, as you don't seem to really go into much depth in your post other than appearing as (and I don't mean this in an insulting way) a tyre kicker.

The fact of the matter is, as I am sure you are aware being your own boss of an internet company, professional dedicated servers are an expensive business. I wont teach you how to suck eggs, but I'm sure you're aware that hosting something of this size on a vps will have us immediatley asked to leave (as has happened on multi-instances in the past) and the cheaper dedi servers are scsp or offer a limited bandwidth options.

Also, I'm sure if you did the maths on request/response per client on match days, you would realise that even a cheap dedi with burstable b/w won't cut the mustard.

I'd be happy to talk about this in far more depth with you on this thread if you wish?

Whoever is managing this site, and this enforced change, has done extremely well. Well done people. Most Corporates would like to be able be this responsive and flexible.

Hi Baj, Steve,

I take it from the subscription pages that you are operating the site under http://www.ukdata.com/numbers/06471076.html ?

Whether this is the case or not will you be publishing accounts annually?

What is the plan for any profiles made?

Thanks,

Mark.

PS... great work on getting the site up and running again, it looks top.

Yes, that is us, and it is a legal requirement for us to publish our annual accounts at the end of our financial year, from which anyone can view them by accessing them at the companies house website.

Profile = profits?

We have produced our business plan with the intention of turning over a very small operating profit in the order of a couple of hundred quid. Any profit left over will be put back into the business to improve the features on offer.

Great job to all involved.

I probably don't often post more than three times a day, but I think the £5 a year is a bloody bargain for a forum containing so many diverse and (at times hilariously) opposing views, all in the name of the mighty SFC.

Plus of course there's always the chance of a genuine ITKer popping up with a bit of 'you heard it here first' big news :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(and to top it off, the spinny eyes of the spinny-eyed smiley seem to be going faster than they did before!)

Profile = profits?

We have produced our business plan with the intention of turning over a very small operating profit in the order of a couple of hundred quid. Any profit left over will be put back into the business to improve the features on offer.

Thanks Baj (for both answers).

Yes I meant profits but failed to read what I had written before posting (Doh!) which meant that editing was not possible as I have not got round to signing up just yet :cool:

Profile = profits?

Spend hours of your own personal time for little reward and for some to assume that you are reaping the greatest harvest....welcome to the real world of companies house!

Fletch

Seems like Baj has detected eau de bull**** icon10.gif

We're hoping to have a "work-safe" skin in place shortly.

That would be great Steve (cheeky request: black on white would be even better if that's poss, it blends so nicely with Excel ;-)). I will check when I'm back from hols!

I think that the new site set up is excellent and the lads are to be applauded for all their efforts. The cost of £5 really is minimal and there is even an option not to pay it, but still get three free posts from it.

As with anything, nothing's for nothing. All the cheapskates will just have to make longer posts anticipating the responses and answering them too ;) If they feel desperate to continue their debate after they have used their allocation, then they'll either have to return the following day, or cough up their fiver. Whilst they're about it, they can tell us where else they could get any form of entertainment for just 10p a day. I'm amazed if anybody said they couldn't afford it. After all, being on here mostly presumes that they have bought a computer and pay for broadband access. As for the students, either forego a couple of pints to pay for it, or add it onto your student debt. A fiver won't make much difference to the thousands you will end up paying anyway. ;)

A fiver is a f*cking joke. Shame on you!

To be honest, I think I've seen about 5 people complain about the price.

Also, you seem to whinge about how we run the forum regardless of whether it's free or subscription-based, so I would suggest you don't bother wasting your (or our) time and go and set up your own Saints forum on a similar platform and pay for it all out of your own pocket.

I have a feeling we might be waiting some time...

A fiver is a f*cking joke. Shame on you!

I thought it was quite cheap!

Its quite simple - put up or shut up!? You don't want to pay the fiver to post then don't.

How many people have you seen moan? A handful if that, and thats because most people appreciate that it costs to run a forum like this.

I belonged to another forum last year (not saints related) where it costs £25 a year for membership.

Whilst they're about it, they can tell us where else they could get any form of entertainment for just 10p a day.

The P*mpey forum! its free.

This club is a f*cking joke with its plc and a limited company forum offshot.

What a mess to get in...

Good work all round fellas.

From personal experience, ignore the whingers and moaners.

£5 for a site that provides so much information, so many giggles and laughs (as well as making a few friends) is feck all in the scheme of things.

Looking forward to seeing all the extra bits as well.

PS how the **** do you edit your own posts (I clicked on edit and there was just a blak screen)?????

Good work all round fellas.

From personal experience, ignore the whingers and moaners.

£5 for a site that provides so much information, so many giggles and laughs (as well as making a few friends) is feck all in the scheme of things.

Looking forward to seeing all the extra bits as well.

PS how the **** do you edit your own posts (I clicked on edit and there was just a blak screen)?????

When you click edit, it should dynamically turn your post into an edit box (although the quick reply box at the bottom will still be visible). It does seem to jump the screen to the wrong place, which is mildly annoying, and is probably one of the many little things we've got to iron out over the next few weeks.

What a mess to get in...

What level of membership and posts does the P*mpey forum have? All this makes a vast difference to the running costs. For that matter, you could always use Foreversaints, which I'm pretty sure is free. You'd only be communicating with half a dozen other people on there, though...

And are you seriously suggesting that this forum is an offshoot of SFC?

When you click edit, it should dynamically turn your post into an edit box (although the quick reply box at the bottom will still be visible). It does seem to jump the screen to the wrong place, which is mildly annoying, and is probably one of the many little things we've got to iron out over the next few weeks.

You've just changed it you crafty ****er!!!!!!!!!!!

I can now get the full edit box and text (was just geting a grey box with no text).

Any chance of now popping round to set my food blender up (the instructions are in Mandarin)????

Edited by um pahars

I think you should be careful about what you imply our limited company is for. We have no association with the club.

I think you should be careful about what you imply our limited company is for. We have no association with the club.

I think you'd have trouble suing him Baj. His grammar's so bad that it's almost down to individual interpretation as to what his post is supposed to say.

What a mess to get in...

Well, if you're so enamoured with the Pompey forum, why don't you sod off there, then? Or as others have suggested to those skinflints who moan about it, go and set up your own forum and then see what it costs to run it. Anyway, this forum is free too for up to 3 posts.

It still amazes me that people on here are complaining about £5 for a years subscription. It's one and a half pints or a packet of fags FFS.

It's even more amusing that the people who are moaning the loudest are the ones wasting their free posts telling us what con-merchants we are.

The world is a funny place.

You're right there. I reckon we should have charged a tenner. It would still be very good value.

Good value?

6700 members, %15 take up on this £5 fee - £5025+ per annum.

6700 members, %50 take up? Very possible I think you will agree. - £16500+ per annum.

Do we get shares in the club?

Good value?

6700 members, %15 take up on this £5 fee - £5025+ per annum.

6700 members, %50 take up? Very possible I think you will agree. - £16500+ per annum.

Do we get shares in the club?

I'd be surprised if more than about 150 people have signed up so far. Which would only be 750 quid.

I'd be surprised if more than about 150 people have signed up so far. Which would only be 750 quid.

Your guessing, so am I.

Using the world wide rule of sales - a widely used %5 figure, which to me is worst case scenario, that's still £3000+

And regarding 150 people - I've read posts from more than 150 who say they are going to take it up.

I guess we shall see.

Will we get a rebate? ;)