Martin Odegaard

Shanghai Saint

Of course we will still be scouting locally but our profile and reputation now allows us to be an attractive proposition for talents much further afield. We would be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I know a lot of the under 16s quite well and regrettably the club were probably correct in who they kept on and who they released.

Keep in mind that players who join us when they are 18--from whatever country--can become home grown club players for European purposes and home grown players for Premier League purposes. Schneiderlin is an example of that.

We've recruited from abroad in the past for academy, Tim Sparv from Finland was one I think but there are others. Not that unusual but would hope we keep giving local lads a try. What was the outcome of the challenge to our Bath academy?

It's still there. They're taking trials there now, instead of kids being brought down South to do them.

I drove 30 miles out of Dubai into the Desert today - to watch the Emirates T20 (more later to avoid boring some)

I was extremely disheartened to see as I dorve into the huge complex that is called "The Sevens" (Multiple Football, Rugby & Cricket pitches) there were Branding signs everywhere showing the directions to "The Arsenal Academy"

Yes I know these are primarily money earning operations overseas (rich expat brats parents paying for little Johnny to get training) BUT they do scout all the schools & Leagues even over here. We actually have a hell of a long way to go and a huge investment to catch up with "Global Reach" was kind of depressing.

On the cricket front 5 quid for 4 T20 matches, Sussex, Lancs, Yorks & MCC in the competition & Durham also playing in the same complex. Village Green style complex so remiscent of the old County Grounds of the late 70's - with about 600 or so spectators.

FWIW Michael Carberry opened for MCC with Alistair Cook v Sussex. Cook looked like a man possessed before tamely holing out to long on, Carbs was fairly subdued before paddling a catch to Yardy at backward point. Graham Onions got tonked but Yuvraj bowled well for them. but Sussex won to reach the final v Lancs. Dickie Bird was guest of honour bless him, came and chatted to just about everyone in the ground as did Paul Collingwood & Johnny Bairstow. But the day was rankled by all that signage for the bloody Gooners

On the subject of our academy this year's u16's been told this: Only 2 lads offered scholarships. Boys who were let go were told the club will be looking abroad for academy as our status/goals have changed. And we'll be in for some big clubs 'rejects' too (Chelsea were named club).

This news is massively disappointing.

Personally I'm delighted that we're changing our goals and status, seeing as the only contact I have with a kid in the academy was trotting out the "Saints will always be a selling club" line when considering which agent to use for their kid's career - about 5 years before they're likely to even get near the first team and have the opportunity to leave and sign for a Champions League club, etc.

I drove 30 miles out of Dubai into the Desert today - to watch the Emirates T20 (more later to avoid boring some)

I was extremely disheartened to see as I dorve into the huge complex that is called "The Sevens" (Multiple Football, Rugby & Cricket pitches) there were Branding signs everywhere showing the directions to "The Arsenal Academy"

Yes I know these are primarily money earning operations overseas (rich expat brats parents paying for little Johnny to get training) BUT they do scout all the schools & Leagues even over here. We actually have a hell of a long way to go and a huge investment to catch up with "Global Reach" was kind of depressing.

On the cricket front 5 quid for 4 T20 matches, Sussex, Lancs, Yorks & MCC in the competition & Durham also playing in the same complex. Village Green style complex so remiscent of the old County Grounds of the late 70's - with about 600 or so spectators.

FWIW Michael Carberry opened for MCC with Alistair Cook v Sussex. Cook looked like a man possessed before tamely holing out to long on, Carbs was fairly subdued before paddling a catch to Yardy at backward point. Graham Onions got tonked but Yuvraj bowled well for them. but Sussex won to reach the final v Lancs. Dickie Bird was guest of honour bless him, came and chatted to just about everyone in the ground as did Paul Collingwood & Johnny Bairstow. But the day was rankled by all that signage for the bloody Gooners

I'm not sure the Middle East is considered a priority area for scouting. It's hardly a hotbed of talent is it? Arsenal will be running those academies for branding exposure and financial gain, not for picking up prospects for their academy. If they stumble across one or two prospects, it is of course a bonus but I'm sure it won't be their main priority.

Of course we will still be scouting locally but our profile and reputation now allows us to be an attractive proposition for talents much further afield. We would be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I know a lot of the under 16s quite well and regrettably the club were probably correct in who they kept on and who they released.

Beat Newcastle u16s

today

• 3 weeks later...

There's some balance from Eurosport on the article here

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-real-madrid-martin-%C3%B8degaard-frozen-zinedine-zidane-112655275--sow.html

HOW RELIABLE IS THE AS STORY?

Stories in Madrid papers AS and Marca are generally well-sourced - but they often carry more than a whiff of agenda. So this one is worth approaching with caution.

AS: "Martin Ødegaard hasn’t played a single minute of Real Madrid Castilla’s last two game games"

True, but he was away on international duty with Norway for the first match, not dropped.

• 1 month later...

If you trace back to the article that is based on, it is a case of the Metro plucking a story out of the air.

No mention of Saints in the recent story the Metro links to...

http://as.com/diarioas/2015/06/08/english/1433746650_725606.html

The only link is to an old Metro rehash of a Mirror story from March...

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/18/southampton-plot-loan-signing-of-real-madrid-wonderkid-martin-odegaard-5110410/

It is shoddy and lazy journalism.