Martin Odegaard

Shanghai Saint

Weren't we also inked with an Italian "wonderkid" a few weeks ago?

Would be a bit of a new variation on our approach to the academy if we are looking to sign up the best youngsters in Europe as well as locally.

Pelle signed pal.

No, it was the "new Ibrahimovic" posted a few weeks ago, Gianluca Scamacca:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?52642-Saints-sign-quot-new-Ibrahimovic-quot-Speculation#.VKQziiusV2o

How many players described as wonderkids have actually gone on to be successful? Well under half I'd imagine...and most of them played for us.

An interesting question. Here is a list of FM 2010 wonderkids. http://www.truefootballmanager.com/2009/10/football-manager-2010-wonderkids-and.html

There is an interesting mix of success stories (Gareth Bale) and failures (Vegard Forren). Overall they have turned out better than the average player for their age I would suspect.

An interesting question. Here is a list of FM 2010 wonderkids. http://www.truefootballmanager.com/2009/10/football-manager-2010-wonderkids-and.html

There is an interesting mix of success stories (Gareth Bale) and failures (Vegard Forren). Overall they have turned out better than the average player for their age I would suspect.

Ched Evans is on that list.

He's a midfielder, right? We already have one of the best midfield set-ups in the PL, with Reed and JWP on the fringes. Would Odegaard really have that much more of a chance to break through at Southampton? Possibly if we lose Morgan in the summer the competition will open up, but as long Morgan and Wanyama are fit, that's basically two places taken care of.

He would play in the advanced midfielder roles surely, Not where Cork, Wanyama, Morgan and Reed play.

Can believe he might be joining Real, but a 1st team squad place?????? Their attacking midfielders are Bale, Ronaldo and James. Who will he replace? I know it's a squad place rather than starting place.

Don't forget Isco and Jese are there as backups as well

What would we gain from it?

a) A year or two of a quality player, some goals and a tidy profit.

or

b) we could have none of that.

Which would you prefer?

or maybe even

c) pay more than he proves to be worth, watch him fail repeatedly to deliver and loan him out to Hull as a bench warmer.

I wouldn't buy a youngster who is hawking himself around to find the highest bidder. Most likely will have an attitude issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/southampton/saints-eye-odegaard-1906366.html

Southampton sent a scout to watch Norwegian teenager Martin Odegaard in action for Real Madrid Castilla on Sunday.

Saints' representative was disappointed to discover Real coach Zinedine Zidane had relegated the highly-rated 16-year-old midfielder to the bench for the Segunda B clash at Huesca.

But Odegaard, who reportedly rejected offers from Bayern Munich, Manchester City, United, Barcelona and Ajax in January, did come on for the final 30 minutes as Real Madrid's B team attempted a fightback.

Bayer Leverkusen, Villarreal and Real Oviedo also had scouts at the match, which Huesca won 2-0 largely thanks to their goalkeeper Dani Jimenez.

Saints could be looking at the former Stromsgodset star as a possible loan target if he progresses in the Real Madrid reserve ranks quickly but cannot break into their senior side.

Interesting thinking but I would prefer a ready now true no.10 who can score goals and is disciplined and committed to us, not really sure what is the point developing someone else's player, isn't slattery the same age now anyway, I'd rather elevate him (based purely on feedback on here).

Go for an older AM who will drop off in a couple of years when Slattery is ready.

Interesting thinking but I would prefer a ready now true no.10 who can score goals and is disciplined and committed to us, not really sure what is the point developing someone else's player, isn't slattery the same age now anyway, I'd rather elevate him (based purely on feedback on here).

Go for an older AM who will drop off in a couple of years when Slattery is ready.

When clubs publish scouting attendee lists at their games (or rather, what clubs are represented) the papers then have to guess who we were there to watch - they have a 1 in 22+ chance of getting it right. I doubt we were there scouting Odegaard - our link to him in December was because some in Norway suggested we'd be a good club for him and then that rumour spiralled out of control. So he seems like a natural fit for us now after learning we had scouting representation at that game.

Slattery is going to be an interesting one - he's been fastracked to the U18's this season but in general the U18's aren't very good at all (their intake year was around the time we went into Admin) and I can't see too many of them getting contracts after their two year scholarship has finished. There would be a home for him in the U21's where we lack a natural attacking midfielder however is it wise to introduce a 16 year old to that level of football all the time? Not sure myself but he won't be satisfied struggling with others in the U18's. Great talent though.

When clubs publish scouting attendee lists at their games (or rather, what clubs are represented) the papers then have to guess who we were there to watch - they have a 1 in 22+ chance of getting it right. I doubt we were there scouting Odegaard - our link to him in December was because some in Norway suggested we'd be a good club for him and then that rumour spiralled out of control. So he seems like a natural fit for us now after learning we had scouting representation at that game.

Slattery is going to be an interesting one - he's been fastracked to the U18's this season but in general the U18's aren't very good at all (their intake year was around the time we went into Admin) and I can't see too many of them getting contracts after their two year scholarship has finished. There would be a home for him in the U21's where we lack a natural attacking midfielder however is it wise to introduce a 16 year old to that level of football all the time? Not sure myself but he won't be satisfied struggling with others in the U18's. Great talent though.

interesting update thanks

@gordonsimpson

Koeman on rumour of #saintsfc scouting Odegaard: "I saw it on the internet. I don’t know."

He's usually a lot more definitive when dismissing rumours. Make of that what you will.

Does that mean he posts on here? ;)

@gordonsimpson

Koeman on rumour of #saintsfc scouting Odegaard: "I saw it on the internet. I don’t know."

He's usually a lot more definitive when dismissing rumours. Make of that what you will.

I would suggest he isn't aware of the hundreds of players Saints are scouting at any one time and so can't comment!

Dont think that true or fair tbh. The best u18's get promoted to the u21's resulting in an u18 team that is normally one of the youngest in the league with 15 and 16 year olds playing.

In addition, our nippers join when they are 7 or 8 years old (e.g. hallet, shaw, chambers etc), if their 18 now then they joined in roughly 2005 to 2006. We didn't go tits up for another 2 years.

Not to mention that two of our star academy kids are in this age group in Sims and Seager :mcinnes:

I would suggest he isn't aware of the hundreds of players Saints are scouting at any one time and so can't comment!

He's been aware enough in the past to give a definitive "no" when asked about rumours of players we've been linked with in the press. I'm simply observing a subtle difference in his response to this particular rumour, which may or may not have any significance.

Dont think that true or fair tbh. The best u18's get promoted to the u21's resulting in an u18 team that is normally one of the youngest in the league with 15 and 16 year olds playing.

In addition, our nippers join when they are 7 or 8 years old (e.g. hallet, shaw, chambers etc), if their 18 now then they joined in roughly 2005 to 2006. We didn't go tits up for another 2 years.

Not to mention that two of our star academy kids are in this age group in Sims and Seager :mcinnes:

There is no doubt our U18 team is young but so are many others in the league - we aren't the only team that fast track kids by any means. The current group of U18's are mixed - some of them (not all of them) have been with the club a while. Many of them haven't - in fact, a good half dozen or so of them only joined us in the six months leading up to last summer. We took rejects from other clubs as our lads weren't that good. The current first year scholars aren't great. You talk of Sims and Seager but they are not first year scholars. When I talk of intake I talk of the first year scholars for the season i.e. the players joining the club as scholars that summer - either from other clubs or from the U16's. If you take a look at the bench for our last U18 game you will see a lot of 'Trialist' - and that will give you some indication of what level the current first year scholars are at.

There is no doubt our U18 team is young but so are many others in the league - we aren't the only team that fast track kids by any means. The current group of U18's are mixed - some of them (not all of them) have been with the club a while. Many of them haven't - in fact' date=' a good half dozen or so of them only joined us in the six months leading up to last summer. We took rejects from other clubs as our lads weren't that good. The current first year scholars aren't great. You talk of Sims and Seager but they are not first year scholars. When I talk of intake I talk of the first year scholars for the season i.e. the players joining the club as scholars that summer - either from other clubs or from the U16's. If you take a look at the bench for our last U18 game you will see a lot of 'Trialist' - and that will give you some indication of what level the current first year scholars are at.[/quote']

Slattery seems the most highly rated but results have been poor this season really.

Some may improve or grow rapidly but at some stage the production line will slow down.

Right now we have no academy player who is good enough to start in the first team when everyone is fully fit.

Then JWP, Reed and Targett aside there arent any who will make more than 5 or 6 apps next season you wouldnt think.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Slattery seems the most highly rated but results have been poor this season really.

Some may improve or grow rapidly but at some stage the production line will slow down.

Right now we have no academy player who is good enough to start in the first team when everyone is fully fit.

Then Reed and Targett aside there arent any who will make more than 5 or 6 apps next season you wouldnt think.

It's impossible to say. Kids a5t 17/18 suddenly mature and become players no-one imagined. Some do not develop at the expected rate and stagnate.

It is not at all impossible that one of this year's U18's comes back for the pre-season, impresses the pants off everyone and becomes part of the 1st team.

Or it may not happen.

There is no doubt our U18 team is young but so are many others in the league - we aren't the only team that fast track kids by any means. The current group of U18's are mixed - some of them (not all of them) have been with the club a while. Many of them haven't - in fact' date=' a good half dozen or so of them only joined us in the six months leading up to last summer. We took rejects from other clubs as our lads weren't that good. The current first year scholars aren't great. You talk of Sims and Seager but they are not first year scholars. When I talk of intake I talk of the first year scholars for the season i.e. the players joining the club as scholars that summer - either from other clubs or from the U16's. If you take a look at the bench for our last U18 game you will see a lot of 'Trialist' - and that will give you some indication of what level the current first year scholars are at.[/quote']

:thumbup: tks i found that post Interest + Knowledge

On the subject of our academy this year's u16's been told this: Only 2 lads offered scholarships. Boys who were let go were told the club will be looking abroad for academy as our status/goals have changed. And we'll be in for some big clubs 'rejects' too (Chelsea were named club).

On the subject of our academy this year's u16's been told this: Only 2 lads offered scholarships. Boys who were let go were told the club will be looking abroad for academy as our status/goals have changed. And we'll be in for some big clubs 'rejects' too (Chelsea were named club).

If that's genuine ITK info (which i don't doubt) then its probably worth a thread of its own

Then JWP, Reed and Targett aside there arent any who will make more than 5 or 6 apps next season you wouldnt think.

Sims

Thats not new, current 1st and 2nd year Southampton scholars came from...

Josh Debayo - Chelsea

Chris Regis - Arsenal

Richard Bakary - Chelsea

Stuart Wilkin - Chelsea

Harley Wilard - Arsenal

Olufela Olomola - Arsenal

We've recruited from abroad in the past for academy, Tim Sparv from Finland was one I think but there are others. Not that unusual but would hope we keep giving local lads a try. What was the outcome of the challenge to our Bath academy?

Don't read too much in to youth team results. Our ethos is all about producing potential players, NOT about producing great teams/getting great results.

Slats is a good prospect but possibly slightly ahead of his natural curve due to pressure being applied on the club by those around him. Certainly wouldn't bank on him "making it" just yet.

This news is massively disappointing.

This news is massively disappointing.

Of course we will still be scouting locally but our profile and reputation now allows us to be an attractive proposition for talents much further afield. We would be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I know a lot of the under 16s quite well and regrettably the club were probably correct in who they kept on and who they released.