What is wrong with America

Red Alert

I do engage Pappy ......but some make it real difficult with threats putdowns and personal insults ........so here we are I don't want to spend my life sparring either but I never back down ........BTW you were the only one that apologized for any **** take at me about my wife.........

C'mon mush.

You've been name-calling with the best of them. Live by the sword, die by it.

C'mon mush.

You've been name-calling with the best of them. Live by the sword, die by it.

But his 'sword' is one of those plastic ones you might find in a toy shop.

Indeed, being on the receiving end of one of these child-like Sarnia insults is a strangely inoffensive experience I find. It's akin to being bitten by a baby or scratched by a little kitten perhaps - instead of getting angry you just can't help but think how adorably cute he is.

Yeah :) but I aint gonna die by the sword.........the sword has replaced the weapon of choice in the uk????.........thought that was an ISIS thing

The sword is a huge part of British life; we still live with its legacy today. It's one of the reasons that we drive on the left, historically speaking.

But his 'sword' is one of those plastic ones you might find in a toy shop.

Indeed, being on the receiving end of one of these child-like Sarnia insults is a strangely inoffensive experience I find. It's akin to being bitten by a baby or scratched by a little kitten perhaps - instead of getting angry you just can't help but think how adorably cute he is.

So pleased you don't find offence...........and yeah I'm real cute :) .........

So why do ships or aircraft always go starboard to avoid a collision ??

I do not know. I do know that most people are right handed, and would keep their sword on their left hand side.

I am drawing to the end of my current visit in the US. It has been a good trip, but you couldn't exactly describe it as perfect. As I said earlier, the poverty is getting to reasonably shocking levels and doesn't seem to give a crap what colour you are.

Was speaking with a black taxi driver on my way downtown the other night. He was telling me that he lives in the projects. I mentioned that I come from the nearest English alternative, a good old fashioned council estate. We shared our experiences. I remarked that I'd known a couple of people to be murdered on my estate. He reckons he's lost 30 friends or family members on his.

That is a huge difference.

I do not know. I do know that most people are right handed, and would keep their sword on their left hand side.

I am drawing to the end of my current visit in the US. It has been a good trip, but you couldn't exactly describe it as perfect. As I said earlier, the poverty is getting to reasonably shocking levels and doesn't seem to give a crap what colour you are.

Was speaking with a black taxi driver on my way downtown the other night. He was telling me that he lives in the projects. I mentioned that I come from the nearest English alternative, a good old fashioned council estate. We shared our experiences. I remarked that I'd known a couple of people to be murdered on my estate. He reckons he's lost 30 friends or family members on his.

That is a huge difference.

Agree that the poverty in some areas is depressing and believe it or not that is where most of the crime is both in the US and Canada ...........but it aint the same all over the continent ......I know because I live here,

Agree that the poverty in some areas is depressing and believe it or not that is where most of the crime is both in the US and Canada ...........but it aint the same all over the continent ......I know because I live here,

It's the sort of place that makes you count your lucky stars. I know it is not the same all over, and I know that we have elements of that here. Neither country (UK or US) does a decent enough job of looking after maimed veterans and the like, even though both are more than willing to put them in harm's way.

I remember meeting some tough as nails Special Forces guy in the middle of a very public breakdown. He'd been on tours. "Clear the room" is basically a euphemism for "kill everybody inside, man, woman or child". The boy was bawling his eyes out.

It's the sort of place that makes you count your lucky stars. I know it is not the same all over, and I know that we have elements of that here. Neither country (UK or US) does a decent enough job of looking after maimed veterans and the like, even though both are more than willing to put them in harm's way.

I remember meeting some tough as nails Special Forces guy in the middle of a very public breakdown. He'd been on tours. "Clear the room" is basically a euphemism for "kill everybody inside, man, woman or child". The boy was bawling his eyes out.

not to sure what that has to do with the thread but we have our "Highway of Heroes" here goes down the 401 from Trenton to TO that's where the bodies of Canadian Troops made their last journey home .

So why do ships or aircraft always go starboard to avoid a collision ??

Possibly this goes back to the time when sailing ships didn't have central rudders, but had a "steerboard". By turning to the right, the 'steerboard' side, they ensured that the board stayed in the water - turning to the left could cause the ship to heel over and lift the board partially out of the water, reducing it's effect.

When aviation started it simply adopted the maritime practice.

Possibly this goes back to the time when sailing ships didn't have central rudders, but had a "steerboard". By turning to the right, the 'steerboard' side, they ensured that the board stayed in the water - turning to the left could cause the ship to heel over and lift the board partially out of the water, reducing it's effect.

Good shout.

In aviation could it be because the pilot sits on the left? I asked an aviator friend why landing approaches were anti-clockwise and he told me this was the reason.

avenue wanted to know if she had been shot..........that was way out of line .......hope you agree.

Yes - there is taking the p1ss ( out of your crazy views) and then there is being completely out of order

Hey that's a good explanation

Now why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road ?????

Hey that's a good explanation

Now why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road ?????

Driving on the left goes back to the Romans. Napoleon being French (basically) chose to be different and drive on the right. We were never conquered by Napoleon so we still drive on the left.

This is one version, there may be others.

Driving on the left goes back to the Romans. Napoleon being French (basically) chose to be different and drive on the right. We were never conquered by Napoleon so we still drive on the left.

This is one version, there may be others.

Confused with this ............Romans were from Italy and they drive correctly...........Napoleon was about 1600 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire..............

Wow.........so you don't follow the ship convention or air traffic convention............must make you feel real special in the world :rolleyes:

You mean the convention that requres ALL radio communication to be in ENGLISH? And ALL times must be stated in Greenwich Mean Time (even in the good 'ole US of A)? Is that the convention you're talking about?

Edited by hutch

Confused with this ............Romans were from Italy and they drive correctly...........Napoleon was about 1600 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire..............

Have you ever driven in Italy? :scared:

You mean the convention that requres ALL radio communication to be in ENGLISH? And ALL times must be stated in Greenwich Mean Time (even in the good 'ole US of A)? Is that the convention you're talking about?

What has that got to do with driving on the wrong side??? go on tell me ..........cant wait for your answer

Oh dear. Here's a little education for you;

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Thanks for that, it seems I wasn't far out.

One of the reasons for the change in Sweden was that a large number of their cars were imports with

left-hand drive.

In the 1960s Japan did not have a large car export business but because they drove on the left they could export to Britain without large investment. This helped start the growth in car manufacture in Japan.

Nothing at all. I was wondering why you raised it.

You do know that we speak English here and that is the reason that English is the language for air traffic ..........and yes GMT is the time that is the base point for time around the world.

You do know that we speak English here and that is the reason that English is the language for air traffic ..........and yes GMT is the time that is the base point for time around the world.

More UTC than GMT these days. The abbreviation comes from the French Temps Universel Coordonné and is a compromise between TUC and CUT.

What has that got to do with driving on the wrong side??? go on tell me ..........cant wait for your answer

The only people who drive on the "wrong side" of the road are those who drive on the left if that country drives on the right and vice versa. There is no right or wrong unless you go against the flow of traffic.

More UTC than GMT these days. The abbreviation comes from the French Temps Universel Coordonné and is a compromise between TUC and CUT.

OK will take your word for it........but know one here would know what you are talking about .............time here where I live is GMT -5 hours which = EST ......does change with daylight saving time for a few weeks in Spring and Fall but only by 1 hour.

OK will take your word for it........but know one here would know what you are talking about .............time here where I live is GMT -5 hours which = EST ......does change with daylight saving time for a few weeks in Spring and Fall but only by 1 hour.

Time zones in The States can get very complicated, especially in Arizona.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_the_United_States

Arizona and Hawaii use standard time throughout the year. However:

The Navajo Nation observes DST throughout its entire territory, including the portion that lies in Arizona. But the Hopi Nation, which is entirely surrounded by the Navajo Nation and is entirely in Arizona, does not observe DST. (See map inset right.)

OK will take your word for it........but no one here would know what you are talking about .............time here where I live is GMT -5 hours which = EST ......does change with daylight saving time for a few weeks in Spring and Autumn but only by 1 hour.

Please speak English.

American English is a different and separate language and we are all the richer for it. I think we can all understand each other.

Yeah we do understand each other...........which really is the main thing.........as for Fall/autumn......but you knew what I was saying....:)

American English is a different and separate language and we are all the richer for it. I think we can all understand each other.

But Sarnie Saint isn 't American, he's an ex-pat Englishman living in a Commonwealth country.

But Sarnie Saint isn 't American, he's an ex-pat Englishman living in a Commonwealth country.

Unfortunately our glorious friends in the former dominion have been seduced by the effluent culture that flows north from their big neighbour who lives next door and shouts louder than they do.

There was an article on where to emigrate now that we've got a majority Conservative government. I did the points test for Canada and passed with flying colours. Can't go until Juvenile Unit #2 finishes her A levels, but in a few years, I could be waving cutlery at Sarnia on his lawn.

Unfortunately our glorious friends in the former dominion have been seduced by the Affluent culture that flows north from their big neighbour who lives next door and shouts louder than they do.

Cant you spell !!! F**king brits:mcinnes: you need to get a dictionary :lol:

There was an article on where to emigrate now that we've got a majority Conservative government. I did the points test for Canada and passed with flying colours. Can't go until Juvenile Unit #2 finishes her A levels, but in a few years, I could be waving cutlery at Sarnia on his lawn.

OMG NOOOOOO!!!!!