What is wrong with America

Red Alert

You'd think so, even without irony. But no. The crime rate in America has been in dramatic decline, just as the city population of Prison, USA, has dramatically risen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/the-many-causes-of-americas-decline-in-crime/385364/

America is a mass incarcerator on an industrial scale. Everyone in the US I know knows someone in the family or among friends who's been to jail. Mass incarceration began in the early 1990s, just as the prisons became increasingly for-profit - run by large, rather sinister, government-lobbying corporations.

and just how many do you know in the USA

One of the main reasons Greenpeace and most other civil disobedience NGOs have never taken off in the US in the way they have in Europe is the American police and justice system. Crimes which in Europe would have you asked politely to move on or arrested and fined if you persisted would be dealt with by a baton beating and jail time in the US - relatively innocuous stuff too like blocking a power plant entrance.

Provide proof for that then we can debate and I don't mean some tree hugger web site garbage

There is a difference between jail and prison. Minor offenders usually go to jail while multiple and serious offenders go to the butt rape boutique. It would be interesting to see a more in depth breakdown of the stats.

If only this forum had a member who just happened to be an American lawyer. ;)

SHHH they don't understand..........pre-conceived opinions ..............

It has been estimated, I believe, that about half of the prison population in the U.S. are there for drug offences. And a large proportion (I don't know the figures) are for minor infractions involving marijuana. This is because of the reactionary policies of the "War on Drugs" pursued especially by Republican administrations (it began in earnest during the Reagan years). And the legal system in the U.S. seems to be particularly harsh on Afro-Americans and native people. It's incredibly ironic that there are several States that now have a thriving industry selling marijuana legally, whilst there are people in jail serving long sentences for owning or selling ("trafficking") small amounts of the same stuff.

You are right about the majority of people in jail are for minor drug offenses i.e. possession of marijuana...........it is legal in a few states by state law but federally is a felony offence..........but makes the jail population look so large which does seem to please a few of our brit friends who don't know the difference between state and federal prisons in the USA or indeed between Provincial and Federal prisons here in Canada

Not to sure what it is you are trying to say with that reply................. I get that you are afraid of guns .........but to call all firearm deaths murder is just another sensational statement from you that has no credibility.

Surely then it makes sense to have stricter gun laws, if lots of firearms deaths are 'accidents' and completely avoidable with a bit of common sense?

Neighbour - "Hey SarniaSaint, did you hear about that firearm death down the road today?"

SarniaSaint - "Yeah, well at least it wasn't murder. I heard it was just little Joey playing with his daddy's shotgun and he blew his sister's head off". *shrugs*

Dumb.

Not to sure what it is you are trying to say with that reply................. I get that you are afraid of guns .........but to call all firearm deaths murder is just another sensational statement from you that has no credibility.

I think you'll find he was quoting homicide rates

Your reply is .........well .........absolute Drivel.........cant you at least reply in a half intelligent way

What, like this:

Your response to a post clealy and very specifically about homicide rates. And a post that at no point "calls all firearms deaths murder" as you have tried to claim.

So, just another sensational statement from you that has no credibility, or yet more proof that you're too fuc king dumb to read anything anyone posts. Take your pick.

When you've managed to pull yourself up to "half intelligent", let us all know. It may take you a while.

Neighbour - "Hey SarniaSaint, did you hear about that firearm death down the road today?"

SarniaSaint - "Yeah, well at least it wasn't murder. I heard it was just little Joey playing with his daddy's shotgun and he blew his sister's head off". *shrugs*

Dumb.

Im not even sure it would be a reply of that intelligence.... Just a menacing glare, some nonsensical mumble and a reach for a weapon

Actually lets be completely honest, I fully expect his neighbours arent stupid enough to talk to that man in the rocking chair with the shotgun on his lap.

HOMICIDE n.

1. The killing of one person by another, regardless of intention or legality.

2. A person who kills another person.

Although this situation has (yet) to happened to me I'm pleased to say, I am forced to concede that should I ever find myself staring down the business end of a loaded gun barrel one day then yes, I would almost certainly find that to be a rather frightening experience. I might even be in urgent need of a new pair of underpants! In my defence, I think you will find that what scientists call 'fear of death' is a universal phenomenon, not only in Human Beings but in all sentient life forms ... even Canadians.

I for one still have no idea what point you are attempting to get across - if you feel that somehow everyone else on here is grossly exaggerating the disproportionate scale of firearms related violence in the USA, then please explain why we are so wrong when the evidence re this matter appears to be quite conclusive. If perhaps a homicide rate that is (very nearly) 5 times what it is in the UK and France is fine with you, then a explanation as to why you place such a low value on Human life would be of interest methinks. Maybe you feel that the US Constitution is so inhumanly perfect a document that it should never be altered - if so why?

Do try to formulate a comprehensible reply that is more than one sentence long ... you never know fewer emoticons and more big words might even help your cause here.

One of the main reasons Greenpeace and most other civil disobedience NGOs have never taken off in the US in the way they have in Europe is the American police and justice system. Crimes which in Europe would have you asked politely to move on or arrested and fined if you persisted would be dealt with by a baton beating and jail time in the US - relatively innocuous stuff too like blocking a power plant entrance.

As shown by these Portuguese police dealing with a vicious football hooligan carrying out the crime of walking home from the footie with his children and elderly dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZLDm0sl_q04

Not that I'm wading in as a pro gun campaigner or anything I just think that statement is a massive generalisation.

Edited by doddisalegend

This remains such a bizarre thread. Sensible adults, who can obviously debate, use evidence and talk sense, trying over and over to reason with someone who is clearly deluded, a liar, a child, a troll, mental or all of the above. There is no way anyone is gonna make Sarnia change his mind in anyway, so whats the point in continuing this discussion. I keep coming back here, amazed at how much traction this thread is continually getting.

I know Sarnia is talking nonsense and is wrong, and completely ignores all facts presented to him but it obviously doesn't matter how many mass killing sprees there are, how many gun-filled handbag wielding children eliminate their parents or straight up murders by the police there are for someone talking on their mobile phone whilst driving, talking to Sarnia is a waste of time. It was amusing, but everyone is generally taking the nutcase waaay too seriously (ironic - how serious do I sound now?!)

Not that I'm wading in as a pro gun campaigner or anything I just think that statement is a massive generalisation.

Of course its a massive generalisation - comparing a whole continent and a country of 320 million people. It is based in truth though. The American police and justice system tends to deal with protestors more harshly, although I accept there are many examples in Europe too.

This remains such a bizarre thread. Sensible adults, who can obviously debate, use evidence and talk sense, trying over and over to reason with someone who is clearly deluded, a liar, a child, a troll, mental or all of the above. There is no way anyone is gonna make Sarnia change his mind in anyway, so whats the point in continuing this discussion. I keep coming back here, amazed at how much traction this thread is continually getting.

I know Sarnia is talking nonsense and is wrong, and completely ignores all facts presented to him but it obviously doesn't matter how many mass killing sprees there are, how many gun-filled handbag wielding children eliminate their parents or straight up murders by the police there are for someone talking on their mobile phone whilst driving, talking to Sarnia is a waste of time. It was amusing, but everyone is generally taking the nutcase waaay too seriously (ironic - how serious do I sound now?!)

Another no-nothing Brit, so blinded by the EU propaganda machine, and disappointed by his backward, over-crowded little island's diminishing global significance, that he has to come on here slagging me off. Well f*ck you. Go on. answer that. LOL.:lol:

Love Sarnie.

State or federal, jail or prison, you're still a locked up convict.

Exactly. The only point about jail against the others though is that just about anyone can end up doing a spell in there. For instance for possessing cigarette papers with no tobacco. Drug paraphernalia) or looking at a cop the wrong way or being in possession of dark pigmentation and forgetting to run away.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Another no-nothing Brit....................so blinded by the EU propaganda machine................and disappointed by his backward, over-crowded little island's diminishing global significance..................that he has to come on here slagging me off....................Well f*ck you..............Go on...................answer that...................LOL.................:lol:

Love Sarnie.

Fixed

HOMICIDE n.

Although this situation has (yet) to happened to me I'm pleased to say, I am forced to concede that should I ever find myself staring down the business end of a loaded gun barrel one day then yes, I would almost certainly find that to be a rather frightening experience. I might even be in urgent need of a new pair of underpants! In my defence, I think you will find that what scientists call 'fear of death' is a universal phenomenon, not only in Human Beings but in all sentient life forms ... even Canadians.

I for one still have no idea what point you are attempting to get across - if you feel that somehow everyone else on here is grossly exaggerating the disproportionate scale of firearms related violence in the USA, then please explain why we are so wrong when the evidence re this matter appears to be quite conclusive. If perhaps a homicide rate that is (very nearly) 5 times what it is in the UK and France is fine with you, then a explanation as to why you place such a low value on Human life would be of interest methinks. Maybe you feel that the US Constitution is so inhumanly perfect a document that it should never be altered - if so why?

Do try to formulate a comprehensible reply that is more than one sentence long ... you never know fewer emoticons and more big words might even help your cause here.

You have nothing to fear in Sarnialand. Sarnia's a "shoot them in the back when they're not looking" kind of guy, so you don't need to worry about staring down the business end of a loaded weapon.

People used to take their children to Bedlam back in Victorian times, to laugh at the inmates through the railings.

I don't think anyone takes him seriously anymore, or ever.

For me, he's a breakfast punchbag. If I feel like it each morning I will bang out a post or two mocking whatever utter idiocy he he has come out with overnight.

The fact that he always, always, always comes back for more just makes it more fun. Just a little workout for the old sarcasm muscles while I take my morning dump.

Punch the clown.

4d1e6091b227d5e751f70787cc9adbc2.jpg

It's been pretty good entertainment and has helped me pass these boring long nightshifts. I've almost enjoyed the lunatic's company. Back to normality in a week or so, so I'll be back to catching up on this nonsense just every now and then.

Surely then it makes sense to have stricter gun laws, if lots of firearms deaths are 'accidents' and completely avoidable with a bit of common sense?

Tell me what you think are stricter gun laws....... OK and as for "common sense " is that the great brit myth again........

Dumb.

A Really Poor Effort.........you need to kick it up a notch .......:lol:

Between 2001 and 2015 the US suffered a total of 6,848 deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan, and about 392,000 shooting deaths at home. Death by shooting will likely exceed car crash deaths for the first time in 2015.

http://icasualties.org/

gun-auto-fatalities.jpg

WOW at that rate should be de-populated in 20 years.........but no FBs or EUROs .........please ................Canada will own the USA.....EH!!!

What, like this:

Your response to a post clealy and very specifically about homicide rates. And a post that at no point "calls all firearms deaths murder" as you have tried to claim.

So, just another sensational statement from you that has no credibility, or yet more proof that you're too fuc king dumb to read anything anyone posts. Take your pick.

When you've managed to pull yourself up to "half intelligent", let us all know. It may take you a while.

Just to let you know ......nothing you have ever said has any credibility either .........but just keep calling me dumb........I got to know how you operate ........

BTW my guess is you live with mommy and have a cat

HOMICIDE n.

OK here I go

The very start of this thread was "What is Wrong with America" and was followed by a diatribe of how superior you brits are to Americans . Now I am a Canadian that lives on the border with what is being called the worst nation in the world by brits who have no knowledge of the USA or Canada and how different it is to the UK.

Now there is a difference between Canada and the USA mainly the health care........but in attitude NO at least in a border city

Don't know if that helps explain my attitude or not..........but that's me and as you can probably tell by now........you don't like me ..so........

You can always FO from the thread ...............bye

Another no-nothing Brit, so blinded by the EU propaganda machine, and disappointed by his backward, over-crowded little island's diminishing global significance, that he has to come on here slagging me off. Well f*ck you. Go on. answer that. LOL.:lol:

Love Sarnie.

:thumbup: 6/10 ....would be more but your spelling is atrocious!!!!

I don't think anyone takes him seriously anymore, or ever.

For me, he's a breakfast punchbag. If I feel like it each morning I will bang out a post or two mocking whatever utter idiocy he he has come out with overnight.

The fact that he always, always, always comes back for more just makes it more fun. Just a little workout for the old sarcasm muscles while I take my morning dump.

Punch the clown.

4d1e6091b227d5e751f70787cc9adbc2.jpg

WOW you really like me ...........I can tell that you do ..........cant stay away from my posts..........aint interested you got a cat!!!

Just to let you know ......nothing you have ever said has any credibility either .........but just keep calling me dumb........I got to know how you operate ........

BTW my guess is you live with mommy and have a cat

I don't call you dumb that often, because I really don't need to.

WOW you really like me ...........I can tell that you do ..........cant stay away from my posts..........aint interested you got a cat!!!

I think I explained my position vis-a-vis you pretty clearly. Right now my position is sitting down.

OK here I go

The very start of this thread was "What is Wrong with America" and was followed by a diatribe of how superior you brits are to Americans . Now I am a Canadian that lives on the border with what is being called the worst nation in the world by brits who have no knowledge of the USA or Canada and how different it is to the UK.

Now there is a difference between Canada and the USA mainly the health care........but in attitude NO at least in a border city

Don't know if that helps explain my attitude or not..........but that's me and as you can probably tell by now........you don't like me ..so........

Well you might be surprised to learn that I agree with you in so far as there certainly is a strand of leftist opinion in Europe, and elsewhere, that despises the USA and all that it stands for.

However that (rather outdated I think) ideological based opposition to Americanism and its unapologetically individualist/capitalist ethos should not be confused with a far more widespread feeling expressed by those (such as myself) who actually admire the US but nevertheless feel that their attitude towards firearms specially - and law and order in general perhaps - is highly damaging.

This of course is not a feeling restricted to Europeans only because many US citizens (including their current President I suspect) feel likewise but find themselves trapped within a culture that refuses to recognise its own folly and a dysfunctional political system designed to place the concept of individual liberty above that of the wider interests of society as a whole. Surely there is something very amiss with a nation where innocent school children can be slaughtered in their classrooms with such appalling regularity, and yet the political class elected by the parents of these children seems not only utterly powerless to address the problem but too often refuses to even accept that there is a real cause for concern here anyway.

The thread title is unhelpful, but where you have gone wrong I think is that you have confused a widespread sense of concern re gun violence in US society, with a crude anti-American attitude that I suspect few on here probably hold. Think of it this way, the USA is akin to a old friend whom you love and respect, but at the same time recognise is far from perfect.

OK here I go

You're wrong in saying that there is no difference in attitude between Canada and the U.S. There is a big difference. To put it in a pithy way: the U.S. attitude can be summed up with the phrase "Give me liberty, or give me death"; whereas the Canadian attitude is encapsulated in the phrase "peace, order and good government". The majority view in the U.S. is centred in rampant individualism (libertarianism, in its more extreme form) and self-centredness. Government is seen as a threat to free enterprise and the rights of the individual. In Canada the majority believes in promoting what's best for the community. Government is viewed as a legitimate means to moderate and regulate the behaviour of corporatism. When the extremist Republicans (the Tea-Party-types) look north they actually consider the Canadian system as "socialistic" or "communistic". Which is a laugh, and shows how little attention they pay to what's happening here. That might have been an understandable view in the 70s, during Trudeau's time as PM; but our current PM (who's been running the show for a decade) emulates and promotes all-things-Republican and is trying to turn Canada into a carbon copy of our neighbour to the south - even though 65% consistently disagree with his policies and tactics.

It seems to me, Sarnia, that you are much more American in your attitude and would be much happier on the other side of the border. Agreed?

Edited by Hamilton Saint