What is wrong with America

Red Alert

So tell me Mr Wonderfull how does the responsible adult (your words not mine) dispose of the gun HUH?????...........throw it in the trash bin LOL.............

So no comment about what that woman is feeling EH!!!!..........typical of your replies ..........just trot out your liberal/ NDP agenda where the government controls everything ........ obviously you don't believe in individual freedoms ............

So your actual stated objection to people disposing of guns is that they might not dispose of them properly? Keep on striving for new levels of trolling/idiocy.

And on your second point, how about some consideration to the "individual freedom" of the dead child? Maybe a few dead children is a reasonable price to pay for a confused and twisted notion of liberty?

By the way, what's your stance on speed limits on roads? How about security checks at airports? Or the police's right to shoot someone in the back if they don't follow instructions (whihc we already know you're a strong supporter of)? Are these not also tools of government oppression that limit individual freedom?

So tell me Mr Wonderfull how does the responsible adult (your words not mine) dispose of the gun HUH?????...........throw it in the trash bin LOL.............

So no comment about what that woman is feeling EH!!!!..........typical of your replies ..........just trot out your liberal/ NDP agenda where the government controls everything ........ obviously you don't believe in individual freedoms ............

You have a problem with the phrase "responsible adult"? You don't think free individuals have a moral and legal responsibility to others? You don't think free individuals can figure out a way of safely removing a handgun from a home?

"No comment about what that woman is feeling"? I would have thought her feelings would be obvious - and the overriding feeling is probably one of immense guilt for her irresponsible behaviour, which led to her child's death.

So your actual stated objection to people disposing of guns is that they might not dispose of them properly? Keep on striving for new levels of trolling/idiocy.

Oh Boy ............just because I have a different opinion to you I'm an idiot..........well that just shows me how intolerant an individual you are.

And on your second point, how about some consideration to the "individual freedom" of the dead child? Maybe a few dead children is a reasonable price to pay for a confused and twisted notion of liberty?

I already stated that it was a tragedy as are all child deaths...........confused and twisted notion???......that's your opinion OK

By the way, what's your stance on speed limits on roads? I'm OK with that How about security checks at airports? Definitely needed to stop muslim terrorism Or the police's right to shoot someone in the back if they don't follow instructions (whihc we already know you're a strong supporter of)? still don't understand why you brits have a problem with it Are these not also tools of government oppression that limit individual freedom? NO they are there for the common good of law abiding citizens

There I answered your comments.........feel free to give your opinionated response.

You have a problem with the phrase "responsible adult"? Your use of the word 'responsible' is very subjective and reflects your opinion You don't think free individuals have a moral and legal responsibility to others? Yes they do and you know as well as I do that 99.9% of the population are law abiding citizens both in the US and Canada You don't think free individuals can figure out a way of safely removing a handgun from a home? Why would you remove something that you legally own??? ........

"No comment about what that woman is feeling"? I would have thought her feelings would be obvious - and the overriding feeling is probably one of immense guilt for her irresponsible behaviour, which led to her child's death. immense grief is what she is feeling not guilt

There a reply .............

There a reply .............

"Why would you remove something that you legally own?", you ask.

Because it is a danger to your infants and young children. As a responsible adult, you put the safety of your vulnerable children ahead of your legal right to keep a loaded handgun in your purse. Your obligation to secure their safety is more important than your freedom to behave irresponsibly.

" Or the police's right to shoot someone in the back if they don't follow instructions (which we already know you're a strong supporter of)? still don't understand why you brits have a problem with it "

The bit in bold, Sarnia's comment, sums up precisely what is wrong with America, despite coming from a Canadian.

Tragic and beyond despicable. It's been coming, unfortunately. The rightwing Republican and Tea Party political assaults on Obama have been driven above all by an unspoken rage at the fact that a black man occupies the White House. (Some of their acolytes have ventured far enough into the open to say: "It's not called the Black House, you know"). Violent racism by police, including several murders by gunfire, strangulation and other assaults has met with little to no legal resistance as Grand Jury after Grand Jury sits on their hands. And now the signals have gone wider: the black community are fair game for anyone with a gun and a deep-rooted (as it is in American 'white' culture) loathing of black people.

The irony is that the major cities of America - and ones like Charleston - owe their character to black creativity. It's hard not to wander down any street in New York or New Orleans, for example, and not think of how their image has been defined by black musicians and artists, from the Jazz Age to now. And black churches throughout America have been the finishing schools for soul and R&B artists since the 50s. They are remarkable places - rather like the Muslim Sufi shrines of South Asia they are the gold standard of how to articulate religious belief with joy and artistry.

Some irony, then, that the loosest cannons of white supremacy should now attack them. All aided and abetted by a safety-off/be-ready-to-fire political fanaticism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33179019

The Sad thing is that nothing will change. As seen many times on this thread, the same old excuses will be trotted out - 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people etc etc'. Then some one will point to the lack of mental illness care in the chronic underfunding of the various support networks. Of course the solution is simple, tax guns (or at least ammunition). The tax can then pay for better healthcare and treatment for those with mental illness while limiting the availability of firearms to those most likely to use it. You rarely see a well off individual go on a murderous rampage - generally they are poor and seen as outcasts. Guns give them power and an opportunity to make themselves known.

Every sane person can see that the situation in the USA has gone too far, but they have made their own bed and will have to face the consequences. The folly of a written constitution.

the yanks obsession with guns is just plain weird

Yes it is, but it a cultural thing, and I can understand it, given the history of the US. What I cannot understand is the US obsession with the constitution......Well, actually, I CAN understand that obsession, and people only apply that obsession when they agree with it. When there is an issue in the constitution that they don't agree with, well that's big Government, and the constitution should be amended.

" Or the police's right to shoot someone in the back if they don't follow instructions (which we already know you're a strong supporter of)? still don't understand why you brits have a problem with it "

The bit in bold, Sarnia's comment, sums up precisely what is wrong with America, despite coming from a Canadian.

So if he had shot him in the front/side you would be OK with that????.........or

you brits believe in running away from cops.........or

you brits are a lawless bunch that think you can get away with anything......or

you brits are just scared of guns.

Multiple choice answer :)

From a proud Canadian

Those who died probably weren't armed, that's probably why this happened. I'm sure there will be some kind of public service announcement to tell people to be vigilant and ready to defend themselves at any point. Maybe machine guns next to the church alter? Sarnia, what do you reckon?

The nutcase has been caught OK.........as for the your post you really are clueless :)

Tragic and beyond despicable. It's been coming, unfortunately. The rightwing Republican and Tea Party political assaults on Obama have been driven above all by an unspoken rage at the fact that a black man occupies the White House. (Some of their acolytes have ventured far enough into the open to say: "It's not called the Black House, you know"). Violent racism by police, including several murders by gunfire, strangulation and other assaults has met with little to no legal resistance as Grand Jury after Grand Jury sits on their hands. And now the signals have gone wider: the black community are fair game for anyone with a gun and a deep-rooted (as it is in American 'white' culture) loathing of black people.

The irony is that the major cities of America - and ones like Charleston - owe their character to black creativity. It's hard not to wander down any street in New York or New Orleans, for example, and not think of how their image has been defined by black musicians and artists, from the Jazz Age to now. And black churches throughout America have been the finishing schools for soul and R&B artists since the 50s. They are remarkable places - rather like the Muslim Sufi shrines of South Asia they are the gold standard of how to articulate religious belief with joy and artistry.

Some irony, then, that the loosest cannons of white supremacy should now attack them. All aided and abetted by a safety-off/be-ready-to-fire political fanaticism.

Way over the top post .............don't you think that 99.9% of American are also disgusted with this crime??.......well they are............ you get that eh!!........I don't know what you mean by 'political fantasism'

You need to calm down and stop letting your hatred show..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33179019

The Sad thing is that nothing will change. As seen many times on this thread, the same old excuses will be trotted out - 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people etc etc'. Then some one will point to the lack of mental illness care in the chronic underfunding of the various support networks. Of course the solution is simple, tax guns (or at least ammunition). The tax can then pay for better healthcare and treatment for those with mental illness while limiting the availability of firearms to those most likely to use it. You rarely see a well off individual go on a murderous rampage - generally they are poor and seen as outcasts. Guns give them power and an opportunity to make themselves known.

Every sane person can see that the situation in the USA has gone too far, but they have made their own bed and will have to face the consequences. The folly of a written constitution.

MMM so the only sane peeps are the brits who don't have a written constitution and therefor no individual rights..........enjoy life where you are watched 24/7........:lol:

What obsession would that be????

"There are by various estimates anywhere from 270 million to 310 million*guns*in the United States — close to one firearm for every man, woman and child."

^ that one...

Compare that with the UK who has approx 6.6 guns per 100 people

Edited by SO16_Saint

So if he had shot him in the front/side you would be OK with that????.........or

you brits believe in running away from cops.........or

you brits are a lawless bunch that think you can get away with anything......or

you brits are just scared of guns.

Multiple choice answer :)

From a proud Canadian

The Police do not have a 'right' to shoot anyone, that is what we Brits have a problem with. If the police were not armed many INNOCENT people would still be alive.

Edited by badgerx16

Way over the top post .............don't you think that 99.9% of American are also disgusted with this crime??.......well they are............ you get that eh!!........I don't know what you mean by 'political fantasism'

You need to calm down and stop letting your hatred show..........

Watch and learn: it's very short but says it all about how deeply ingrained is anti-black sentiment in US culture. You won't, though, will you - you prefer to cling to a comfort blanket of profound ignorance.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/video/2015/jun/19/jon-stewart-daily-show-charleston-shooting

Interesting that there's not a word of condemnation from you about this. I suppose you approve of the fact that the family of a white supremacist gave him a .45 handgun for his 21st birthday. You clearly don't know much about weaponry, so keep this in mind: weapons such as this have one purpose and one purpose only: to kill people. And he got his heart's desire - to kill black people.

Yes it is, but it a cultural thing, and I can understand it, given the history of the US. What I cannot understand is the US obsession with the constitution......Well, actually, I CAN understand that obsession, and people only apply that obsession when they agree with it. When there is an issue in the constitution that they don't agree with, well that's big Government, and the constitution should be amended.

Given our longer history you'd think we would have an obsession with swords and armour. We however grew up. These toys are dangerous and have no place in a civilised society.

I really wonder about his state of mind, honestly I do. Every one of his responses is nothing more than an immature, childish dismissive - I fear we are being trolled big time, there is no way these are the coherent thoughts of a 60 year old rational.

Yet, if they are (his real thoughts), how worrying is that? It might lead you to think 'What is wrong with America'?

There is the potential for such a good discussion here but any reasonable statement is shot down and derided by the Canadian. There is a lot wrong with this country but there is a lot right with it too. Just as there is with Britain, Canada and any other country you care to mention.

Regarding what Verbal has said, he has a point. I have been stunned by comments made, by otherwise sensible and sane people, about the President. However, I truly believe that my children (who are teenagers) are color blind when it comes to skin and I think the vast majority of their friends are too. There are no easy answers to the gun issue because it is so ingrained in the culture. Politicians rarely dare to speak out about it because they will be targeted for defeat in the next election.

There is the potential for such a good discussion here but any reasonable statement is shot down and derided by the Canadian. There is a lot wrong with this country but there is a lot right with it too. Just as there is with Britain, Canada and any other country you care to mention.

Regarding what Verbal has said, he has a point. I have been stunned by comments made, by otherwise sensible and sane people, about the President. However, I truly believe that my children (who are teenagers) are color blind when it comes to skin and I think the vast majority of their friends are too. There are no easy answers to the gun issue because it is so ingrained in the culture. Politicians rarely dare to speak out about it because they will be targeted for defeat in the next election.

At my factory job, the population is around 20% black. By the law of averages, there must be racists among us, but you would never guess it. It always pleases me how "colour blind" the place is. Racism is a total no-issue in a way that denies any previous experience I have had in this regard. This could be replicated in all situations in America if the conditions were right. In all honesty though, we still need quite a few dinosaurs to die off quickly before they taint any impressionable youngsters......Hold on! I think I just found a use for guns that could actually be helpful! ;)

There are many aspects of the US I like more than here. What makes the US fascinating is the inconsistencies - the lax gun law but the very tight control of drinking by anyone who looks as though they could conceivably be somewhere near 21, the resistance to seat belts but acceptance of low speed limits, the existence of a space program but no chip and pin cards.

Its almost as if two entirely separate species inhabit America - liberals and conservatives. People seem to be divided along consistent party lines. I have many colleagues in DC and NYC. Im always surprised afresh by how uniform their views are. If you believe x on abortion you are very likely to have y opinion on the environment and z opinion on taxes. Its almost as if people identify themselves by which club they are in. Europeans seems to more often have pick and mix views on politics, economy and social issues.

Edited by buctootim

What makes the US fascinating is the inconsistencies - the lax gun law but the very tight control of drinking by anyone who looks as though they could conceivable be somewhere near 21, the resistance to seat belts but acceptance of low speed limits, the existence of a space program but no chip and pin cards Its almost as if two entitrely separate species inhabit America - liberals and conservatives who seem much more divided than their equivalents here who usually share values on some things.

No, no, we have chip and pin cards. I have two - well, one is a chip card, it has no PIN. And when I used them in England, a couple of months ago, I still had to sign, even with the one I had a PIN for.:?

No, no, we have chip and pin cards. I have two - well, one is a chip card, it has no PIN. And when I used them in England, a couple of months ago, I still had to sign, even with the one I had a PIN for.:?

I've never seen a chip card here yet. And every service I use still comes via overhead lines that crap out every time there is anything but perfect weather.

It's only down to commercial viability, but it keeps much of the US in the third world.

I am based in the UK but have a corporate credit card from Bank of America. It has no chip and pin and sometimes cant be used here. It also frequently gets stopped by BoA anti fraud for 'activity abroad' despite them knowing my home base is the UK, but that s another story.

Obama - "I've had to make statements like this too many times"

"This type of violence does not happen in other advanced countries"

That's what I find so amazing about the whole situation over there. The democratically elected government seem powerless to even try to do anything about the whole mess.

I don't want to drag up the whole dumb yank stereotype again but **** me it's not rocket science, if less people have access to guns less people will die. They either don't give a sh!t, are too thick to grasp the concept or there is something seriously wrong with the democratic system which means the will of the people is ignored.

This is a tricky one isn't it? About the kid that shot up the church. Sarnia won't thank me for this but he WAS pictured wearing the flags of Apartheid South Africa and Ian Smith's Rhodesia. Now, I know a lot about Smith's Rhodesia (The second group of rebellious Anglo farmers to unilaterally declare independence from the crown...whilst simultainiously crap on the lives of the blacks who they saw simply as good and cheap labour). I think it's a great big white elephant that can't be sorted. They quasi-worship men who were very much like Smith (duplicitous in that they wanted freedom and liberation whilst denying that to the native population the blacks...claiming that every man is equal but some simply are not men so they can't be) and whilst yes,they have a black man in office it has never healed that wound of how the country was founded. I mean, if I was an African American, it would certainly slightly rancour on me that I had to stare at the photos of men who would open enslave my ancestors.

I'm just trying to not touch on gun control as it is a big issue but I think realising that something like a truth and reconciliation thing has to happen and come to the understanding that the founders of the country were not infallible, they started this road of discrimination (most were Virginian slave traders) and as soon as that happens I think it might at least help the situation a bit because mental kids like this, whilst on top of being a souther zealot clearly, by his 2 flags seemed to think that treating people as nothing because of the colour of their skin is somehow right and I speculate it drives at the very heart of the nation itself. An unspoken problem if you will.

"Why would you remove something that you legally own?", you ask.

Because it is a danger to your infants and young children. As a responsible adult, you put the safety of your vulnerable children ahead of your legal right to keep a loaded handgun in your purse. Your obligation to secure their safety is more important than your freedom to behave irresponsibly.

Well said.

This is the NRA's contribution. You should be armed in church if you expect to live through the service apparently.

tumblr_nq738xRZ2Q1r83d7lo1_1280.png

I dare that Canadian dimwit to endorse this sentiment. That the real villain, in the NRA's eyes, is not the slack-jawed piece of **** who pulled the trigger, but the black pastor whom he murdered, who didn't want guns in his church. It is as deeply racist as the attack itself. The overwhelmingly white-dominated NRA is the latter-day Ku Klux Klan - spewing out a slight variant on the old message: those damned ignorant blacks brought this on themselves.

"There are by various estimates anywhere from 270 million to 310 million*guns*in the United States — close to one firearm for every man, woman and child."

^ that one...

Compare that with the UK who has approx 6.6 guns per 100 people

So various estimates..........I assume your uk is factual from the gov ........well they do monitor you 24/7.............

Nice one Chappies