What is wrong with America

Red Alert

I am sorry Sarnia but you really don't get it. There isnt one person here who doesn't think there are things wrong in the UK and there a plenty of threads about that stuff. The crazy level of butchery by guns is not sensationalising the situation. If you cant see that there is something fundamentally wrong with blowing away unarmed people then something isn't right. There is a legal system which it seems many of your officers cant be bothered with. I know which country I would rather be in if I have a run in with the police. Nothing to do with moral highground but plenty to do with not releasing quasi paramilitary's on the streets to shoot people without an arrest, a trial and a verdict.

Again .......you don't understand the situation in crime infested neighborhoods in the USA.........you need to accept that it is different from the UK............and why the hell would you have a run in with the cops

I tink we all accept there is plenty wrong with the UK but on the subject of gun crime our moral high ground is fully deserved.

I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive, I assume you are an ex-pat living in Canada - that means you have about as much to do with the USA as I have France. Try discussing the subject rationally instead of reinforcing the stereotype of gun crazy American idiot.

I am not being defensive .......nothing to be defensive about......I live 2 miles from the border and go to Michigan twice a week............have a trusted traveller swipe card (checked out by the RCMP and FBI) so don't need a passport .............have a lot of friends in the USA and never had a problem being there.......

I would love to have a rational discussion about this .................

Its pretty shocking the US Government dont even know how many the police kill each year. From the best information available it seems as though the police killed at least 930 members of the public people in 2014 whilst only 51 police were killed by citizens. That alone is a damning statistic.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-new-estimate-of-killings-by-police-is-way-higher-and-still-too-low/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

What you need to understand is the cops are under different jurisdictions i.e. state, county, city, etc.............not over seen by the federal government...........different to the UK.

Again .......you don't understand the situation in crime infested neighborhoods in the USA.........you need to accept that it is different from the UK............and why the hell would you have a run in with the cops

I feel we're making progress, at least you're starting to get on board with the thread topic.

In summary - too many f*cking guns, and morons on the other end of them.

I said way back stay in the vehicle and do what they say .........

guess you missed that bit............

So why did they take off ??? and as for the being black bit :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that (1) having stopped the car, the Police gave the victims any sort of verbal instructions, and (2), letting fly with upwards of 300 bullets was a proportional response ? ( Let alone the Wild West macho poseur standing on the bonnet and emptying multiple magazines into 2 people who were almost certainly already dead ).

Do you honestly think that (1) having stopped the car, the Police gave the victims any sort of verbal instructions, and (2), letting fly with upwards of 300 bullets was a proportional response ? ( Let alone the Wild West macho poseur standing on the bonnet and emptying multiple magazines into 2 people who were almost certainly already dead ).

This nonsense counts as Sarnia having a "rational debate".

Do absolutely anything a police officer tells you to do at all times because if you don't then being shot in the back 8 times or being shot 300 times through a windscreen is perfectly appropriate. "Expect what happens to you" I believe is Sarnia's preferred "rational" analysis of these situations.

Rational debate ahoy.

What you need to understand is the cops are under different jurisdictions i.e. state, county, city, etc.............not over seen by the federal government...........different to the UK.

But its not hard to have a system where all deaths occurring as a result of police activity are reported to a central database. If you dont even know the numbers or circumstances how can you formulate policy to address the issue?

This nonsense counts as Sarnia having a "rational debate".

Do absolutely anything a police officer tells you to do at all times because if you don't then being shot in the back 8 times or being shot 300 times through a windscreen is perfectly appropriate. "Expect what happens to you" I believe is Sarnia's preferred "rational" analysis of these situations.

Rational debate ahoy.

So since you seem to think you know everything ..........what the f*ck is your advice.........I know you don't live in North America in fact I bet you never been here ...........so pray do tell.... without some diatribe that about something you read somewhere.

There no smileys or lols that you brits seem to hate.

But its not hard to have a system where all deaths occurring as a result of police activity are reported to a central database. If you dont even know the numbers or circumstances how can you formulate policy to address the issue?

Don't think you understand that each state is autonomous in how it operates ......federal law is for the union each state has its own laws.........would discuss this further but only gonna be hijacked by the know everything but know nothing.

The number of rounds fired by all police departments and all the resulting casualties are indeed reported to the Federal Govt............The casualties info gets mysteriously lost. True story.

The number of rounds fired by all police departments and all the resulting casualties are indeed reported to the Federal Govt............The casualties info gets mysteriously lost. True story.

Bizzare. Its also strange how if you delve into the list of the 'fallen' police officers - "Honoring Those Killed in 2015" on the Officer Down Memorial Page

https://www.odmp.org/search/year it turns out most of them died of illness or accident - nothing to do with being killed by criminals.

Odd politics going on.

which end of the gun??? or are you just saying Americans are morons???

Trigger end. Pretty much, yes.

MMMM .........I bet you thought that was a smart comment :mcinnes:

I wasn't expecting you to appreciate it, but yeah I thought it was pretty good.

Really don't understand why you live in Ohio al you do is put the place down...........whats keeping you there instead of going back to the wonderful [sic] island???

Edited by SarniaSaint

God Bless the USA

Really don't understand why you live in Ohio al you do is put the place down...........whats keeping you there instead of going back to the wonderful [sic] island???

If it's sooooo wonderful, why don't you move permanently south of the border ?

Bizzare. Its also strange how if you delve into the list of the 'fallen' police officers - "Honoring Those Killed in 2015" on the Officer Down Memorial Page

https://www.odmp.org/search/year it turns out most of them died of illness or accident - nothing to do with being killed by criminals.

Odd politics going on.

I loathe this forum because of this thread alone but being the Summer transfer window I thought I'd pop in, sadly this thread still goes on.

This particular post hits close to home both figuratively and literally so I'll add, the FBI releases annual reports concerning criminal statistics, one being police deaths. It takes a while to put the report together and the previous year's statistics are published about this time. Note the below link.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2014-preliminary-statistics-for-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

Mods - what's the point of this thread? Don't like the US? Great, don't go there. Don't like the UK? Great, don't go there.

So since you seem to think you know everything ..........what the f*ck is your advice.........I know you don't live in North America in fact I bet you never been here ...........so pray do tell.... without some diatribe that about something you read somewhere.

There no smileys or lols that you brits seem to hate.

I don't think I can handle debate as rational as this.

I like it here and I like the people here. I don't have to like all aspects of it though, such as the gun laws and much of the politics.

I'm not like you or Saint George. I don't offer unconditional love because I am not a puppy. ;)

Edited by Ohio Saint

If it's sooooo wonderful, why don't you move permanently south of the border ?

Why should I ???........I live in the best place you could ever want to be ...........a Canadian that enjoys all the great things here and 2 miles from the USA to take advantage of the great things there..........BTW I go west to cross the border ..........if I lived in Windsor would go north............

I loathe this forum because of this thread alone but being the Summer transfer window I thought I'd pop in, sadly this thread still goes on.

This particular post hits close to home both figuratively and literally so I'll add, the FBI releases annual reports concerning criminal statistics, one being police deaths. It takes a while to put the report together and the previous year's statistics are published about this time. Note the below link.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2014-preliminary-statistics-for-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

Mods - what's the point of this thread? Don't like the US? Great, don't go there. Don't like the UK? Great, don't go there.

Don't like the thread ??? then don't comment ...........just stay away.....

I like it here and I like the people here. I don't have to like all aspects of it though, such as the gun laws and much of the politics.

I'm not like you or Saint George. I don't offer unconditional love because I am not a puppy. ;)

I am not a puppy that offers unconditional love (whatever that means) maybe you can explain..........but you like living there and like the people which is the main thing.......where do you live in OH??

I am not a puppy that offers unconditional love (whatever that means) maybe you can explain..........but you like living there and like the people which is the main thing.......where do you live in OH??

Norwalk, well known for it's drag racing strip, but world famous for our virus that can fill a cruise ship with poo in less than a week. Yes, my town invented the Norwalk virus! :)

Norwalk, well known for it's drag racing strip, but world famous for our virus that can fill a cruise ship with poo in less than a week. Yes, my town invented the Norwalk virus! :)

So geographical close to Peelee Island .............I remember driving thru Ohio in a Camaro and the speedometer was connected from the transmission to the gage with a cable .......well the cable FU'd around Detroit had to drive at the speed other peeps were doing......Ohio State were bad for speeding tickets back then.........Happy Days ...........dodged a bullet in Kentucky....

Edited by SarniaSaint

You should have stayed in the car then

I baited ........you bit........never finished .......

was on I -71 no traffic had no idea of the speed passed a state trooper in the median facing the wrong way........pulled off in Louisville saw him in the rear view mirror hammering down I-71.......:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32950383

Don't really need to comment except to say that's an awful lot of people who got out of their car.

They really should have known better.

Saw this earlier on the Big British C*nt site and thought who will be the first........

So tell me all the details of every one ........go on ...........you can`t can ya............so if you don't know how the f*ck can you make a comment EH.......

I know you thought it was a smartass comment ........but the smart bit don't apply ............):

Here's an article from The Toronto Star. Interesting. It's about a Washington Post analysis of data about police shootings in the U.S. It's rather long; but it's full of interesting stats and identifies some of the patterns that can be identified in these incidents.

I'm not going to offer any conclusions about the information provided. Read for yourself and consider some of the key points.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/05/31/us-police-kill-more-than-2-people-a-day-analysis.html

Protect and Serve should be changed to Shoot Anything That Moves.

Yeah whatever ....LOL funny comment .............

Tell YA one thing though ..........I am pleased that I am protected and served by REAL COPS.............something you will never understand

Here's an article from The Toronto Star. Interesting. It's about a Washington Post analysis of data about police shootings in the U.S. It's rather long; but it's full of interesting stats and identifies some of the patterns that can be identified in these incidents.

I'm not going to offer any conclusions about the information provided. Read for yourself and consider some of the key points.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/05/31/us-police-kill-more-than-2-people-a-day-analysis.html

Toronto Star .......say no more..............how many languages is that published in these days..........or does one person translate for the others...........

Toronto Star .......say no more..............how many languages is that published in these days..........or does one person translate for the others...........

OK, it's not Fox News, I grant you, but it's still worth a read. It's not propaganda, or opinion-based. It's data about a Washington Post study. (That's an American newspaper.) Give the article a read. It might confirm some of your beliefs. It might challenge a few. Who knows. You might even learn something.

I think they reckon most newspapers these days are written at a Grade 8 level of understanding. So, there you go; you might be able to cope with it.

"I think they reckon most newspapers these days are written at a Grade 8 level of understanding. So, there you go; you might be able to cope with it."

You probably considered this point in my previous post as a cheap shot. But go back and look at post #1589. You completely misread the gist and spirit of it. It offered the opportunity to get some interesting data on the issue under discussion in this thread. But you couldn't get past the words "Toronto Star".

"I think they reckon most newspapers these days are written at a Grade 8 level of understanding. So, there you go; you might be able to cope with it."

You probably considered this point in my previous post as a cheap shot. But go back and look at post #1589. You completely misread the gist and spirit of it. It offered the opportunity to get some interesting data on the issue under discussion in this thread. But you couldn't get past the words "Toronto Star".

Incomplete data.......you need all the data to make an informed opinion .....which that does not provide..........

Grade 8 = university level now in Ontario according to you .....:rolleyes:

and yes I think the Toronto Star is only good for hanging in the out house.....

BTW I didn't think it a cheap shot and hate Fox news ......you seem more intelligent than some on here

Incomplete data.......you need all the data to make an informed opinion .....which that does not provide..........

BTW I didn't think it a cheap shot and hate Fox news ......you seem more intelligent than some on here

Where did I say "Grade 8 = university level now in Ontario"?

So your opinion of the UK - which you have made clear several times in this thread - is based on knowing absolutely everything about everything that happens or ever has happened in the UK? Or are you saying that you don't actually have an informed opinion?

Rational debate.

I baited ........you bit........never finished .......

Rational debate.

Saw this earlier on the Big British C*nt site and thought who will be the first........

So tell me all the details of every one ........go on ...........you can`t can ya............so if you don't know how the f*ck can you make a comment EH.......

I know you thought it was a smartass comment ........but the smart bit don't apply ............):

Rational debate.

Yeah whatever ....LOL funny comment .............

Tell YA one thing though ..........I am pleased that I am protected and served by REAL COPS.............something you will never understand

Rational debate.

Rational debate.

Edited by CB Fry